CL: 98 CL 2.3 system build

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 CL 2.3 system build

I am looking to upgrade the stock stereo in my 1998 Acura CL 2.3 that does not have the Bose system. Cost is a factor. I am thinking less than $300 for the whole thing. Used off eBay is an option for the head unit. Speakers, not so much.

Here's what I have now in my 95 Accord...

Alpine 7875 head unit that is 60x4 (27 x 4 RMS), Pioneer 6.5 three ways in the door, and the same in the rear deck. The speakers are just from Wal-Mart, though they do sound pretty good, but not as good as the Infinity's I used to own.

I'd just pull the "system" in the Accord and put it in the CL, but I am looking to make some changes...

1. The head unit. Don't get me wrong, I love Alpine, and I love the 27w RMS, but I am WAY over the "look at my fancy head unit" looks of the Alpines. I'd prefer something that looks stock, or could have been stock, especially the display colors. However, I LOVE the power of the 60x4 Alpine head units (now discontinued from what I can tell). This will be the crux of the problem with my install. I am also a big fan of BBE, and the ability to "tune" the stereo.

2. Amps...normally opposed, but the Alpine power pack looks easy and simple. I just don't like wiring and I really don't like having to mount one somewhere. Anything I choose to do will have to be invisable. I have a really old (think early 90's) Rockford Fosgate 4600 4 channel amp that I could use, but I'd have to hide (completely) it somewhere.

3. Subwoofers. Unless there's something that takes up 0 space, I am out. I did have a single Kicker 6x9 free air in my Prelude, but those are hard to come by, and truthfully the factory amp couldn't push it. It also mounted in the stock location of that car and I only have, well...one!

I have been looking at doing something like this, but I have a feeling it will be a letdown...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GT65...FFBrand%7cSony

My guess is I'll have to bite the bullet and amp it up, but where on earth can I hide it, and visable in the trunk isn't hidden.

I'd love to add some bass too, but that's a reach at best with just a head unit.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?
Old 05-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Try searching. So freakin many threads on this lately.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
You're going to have to find more money if you want to really do a nice setup. $300 is nowhere near enough cash to put something together properly. Since you're really on a budget, keep the hu you have. It's a pretty nice deck, and personally, I only run Alpine. I've had decks from both Kenwood and Pioneer fail on me a couple of times, and I can't have that happening anymore.

As for an amp, you can hide small amps in a lot of places, in most vehicles. If your amp is small enough (not familiar with that model) you may be able to put it under one of your front seats (done this is my buddy's F-150, but there's a lot more room under his seats than in a 98 CL) or possibly in your spare tire well (although I'm not a huge fan of this). If you really want it to be completely hidden, there aren't many options in these cars. Your best bet would be to put it on the back of the back seats, then build some kind of trim panel type deal that would hide it.

You could modify your rear deck to work with a couple of IB subs, but not on your budget. Other than that, you're basically stuck with a couple of 6x9's for "bass" or give up some trunk space.

Why is the setup being completely invisible and not taking up any space such a huge deal? I still have use of most of my trunk space with 2 10s, 2 amps, an extra battery and an external deck all in my trunk...
Old 05-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Intermediate

Matt - Thanks for the input/questions.

Budget - I can go up from $300, but I built my "system" for less than that now. The head unit was a little over $100 used off eBay, and the speakers were from Wal Mart for a total of $100. It's not bad and I'd do it again if necessary. I guess I have a hard time justifying spending much more than that right now. Plus I can reuse stuff that I already own, right?

Amp - I'd prefer to avoid it, but if that's the only way to replicate the 27x4 rms I am getting from my Alpine, then that's what it must be.

Here's a link to my amp now.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftec...s1Amps_MAN.pdf
You'll notice on page 4 that the rms is only 15x4. Wow, this really is an old amp! I didn't realize until just now.

The invisable is as much asthetics as anything else. I bought this car for work, and I know it's a 13 year old car, but with what I do, image is important. Right, wrong or indifferent there is a stereotype with having a "system". Because I work with "society types", and run special events where they will see inside my car, I can't very well have subs and an amp back there. That's just the reality of the situation. Besides that, I will be loading it up with food, brochures, wine, ect. Is that a good reason? I don't know, but none the less that's the situation.

Tell me what you think about this...

The Sony head unit, 6.5 in the front, 6x9's in the back and a 4 channel amp (with more than 15w RMS) to power it. Then I only need to hide an amp, right?

It's been years since I've bought an amp and would prefer to get a used on off eBay, so is there a brand or anything I am looking for?

Thanks again!
Old 05-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Drifting

While yes, that amp is old, it will still be better than powering your speakers off the hu power. You'll get a better signal from the dedicated amp. As long as your passenger seat isn't powered, you should be able to hide that RF amp under there. This shortens all your wires and makes life a lot easier.

Like I said, I'd stick with an Alpine head unit. Sony is far from being good quality, so I'd definitely stay away from them.

Focus on a good component set for your fronts, and if you really want to replace the 6x9's in the back, go ahead at that point. Our cars have tweeters up on top of the dash near the windshield. Put your aftermarket tweeters there, and the mids in the doors. With some work on the doors themselves, you can get a lot better sound from lower end speakers. Deaden the door and it will make a huge difference in sound.

And yes, going that route, you'd just need to hide your amp.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the info, and I read your build thread, you definitely know your stuff!

If we're keeping the Alpine head unit, I won't amp it. There's just no need for what I want it to be. I am happy with the sound without an amp so it's not worth the effort.

IF I switch out the head unit to something less powerful, I'd consider amping it.

I probably will get components for the front, and just get some 6x9's for the rear.

*Any suggestions on keeping the high powered head unit cool? In the summer it gets really hot. I've heard computer fans work...but how would I wire that? I am not great with wiring.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by on1wheel01
Try searching. So freakin many threads on this lately.
Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying, because that's what the search is for. However, you're assuming I didn't search.

I didn't find anything on a stock looking head unit that has 27x4 RMS power. Maybe I didn't search correctly? Or maybe you have a suggestion?
Old 05-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by cburnscrx
Thanks for the info, and I read your build thread, you definitely know your stuff!

If we're keeping the Alpine head unit, I won't amp it. There's just no need for what I want it to be. I am happy with the sound without an amp so it's not worth the effort.

IF I switch out the head unit to something less powerful, I'd consider amping it.

I probably will get components for the front, and just get some 6x9's for the rear.

*Any suggestions on keeping the high powered head unit cool? In the summer it gets really hot. I've heard computer fans work...but how would I wire that? I am not great with wiring.
Even though the V-drive amps are built into the Alpine's, I'd still run an aftermarket amp. You've already got it, why not use it...

Yes, you could run computer fans to cool your hu. You'll just need a 12v source and a ground. Best bet would be to run 12v power from the battery (or another circuit if you want to do that) to a switch, then have the fans on a switch so you can turn them on and off. Only thing is, remember to turn them off or they'll drain your battery...

Originally Posted by cburnscrx
Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying, because that's what the search is for. However, you're assuming I didn't search.

I didn't find anything on a stock looking head unit that has 27x4 RMS power. Maybe I didn't search correctly? Or maybe you have a suggestion?
Alpine V-drive head units are the only head units out there that will provide that kind of power. And there were only a couple of V-drive equipped decks. So if you want that kind of power from a deck, you have to run the V-drive Alpines.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Intermediate

Alright, the first part of the "build" is underway. Haha. Okay, so I bought some Sony 6x9's from Best Buy. Before anybody knocks them, they're better than stock and they were on clearance for $37. They're 60 watts RMS, so I bought them.

In light of that, I think I'll pull the speakers from the Accord, and put those in the doors. No, they aren't components, but for now they're better than stock. When I go to hook these up, can I keep the dash tweeters or are those just going to be dead now?

And finally, I saw a HU at bestbuy for $199.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT94...U.html?tp=5684

I am still having a hard time with the "look at my stereo lights" of the Alpine.

And, the final part of this equation, steering wheel controls. I know about the PAC units, but are there cheaper versions available?

Thanks again for everybody's input!
Old 05-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Intermediate

Latest Update : I have put the Sony 6x9's in the rear deck and the 6.5's in the door. Even with the stock HU, it's a big improvement.

That said, I am putting in the Alpine next. I'd still really like to replace the HU with something that matches, but I can't decide what I want. If I do replace it, it will likely be Kenwood.

Also, I learned something else. Rockford Fosgate will recertify amps. I am going to have the 4600x recertified and put it in. Apparently the early amps were way underrated and this should sound very good. I'll keep everybody posted.