TL: 2nd Gen Aftermarket Sound Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:46 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Gen Aftermarket Sound Issues

I have an '03 Type S. I just installed a new head unit which is working fine. The sub is not working, but after searching the forum I did see one post mentioning an adapter needed. Can anyone confirm that? Also, I replaced the rear speakers with aftermarket components as well, but they do not sound as good as the stock ones which is suprising. Is this because of the whole Bose/preamp set up? Is there a workaround vs having to rewire the car to bypass the bose speaker setup? Please help!
Old 12-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by TL typo
I have an '03 Type S. I just installed a new head unit which is working fine. The sub is not working, but after searching the forum I did see one post mentioning an adapter needed. Can anyone confirm that? Also, I replaced the rear speakers with aftermarket components as well, but they do not sound as good as the stock ones which is suprising. Is this because of the whole Bose/preamp set up? Is there a workaround vs having to rewire the car to bypass the bose speaker setup? Please help!
When upgrading a factory bose system you do need a special bose adapter. They should be cheap on amazon.

Is your sub on its own pre-out?
Old 12-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by gibbyisgibby
When upgrading a factory bose system you do need a special bose adapter. They should be cheap on amazon.

Is your sub on its own pre-out?
No you don't.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...bose+subwoofer

You will have to splice two wires and wire them up to rca's.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
^ Type-ES is correct.

It's actually pretty damn easy as well.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:24 PM
9th Gear

sorry to bring up an old post. But i replaced the stock HU with a kenwood DDX719. The sub doesn't work but i know the workaround thanks to this forum. But the speakers also sound like crap with distortion at high volumes. They also seem to have lost power and are not as loud as they were with the stock HU even when turned up all the way. Any one know why? i don't want to replace all of the speakers and add an aftermaket sub only to find that the sound quality is still crappy. please help
Old 06-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by merchantofmenace
But the speakers also sound like crap with distortion at high volumes. They also seem to have lost power and are not as loud as they were with the stock HU
You still have the stock speakers? Then this is normal.
The stock Bose speakers are 100% pure cheap crappy garbage. That's why they put in the EQ to massage the sound and make it bright before sending it to the speakers.

Do yourself a favor and get new speakers for all 4 doors. Even cheap ones from Walmart will sound better than the Bose.

I did the opposite of you. I kept the stock head unit and changed all speakers & subwoofer, installed a 4-channel amp and a sub amp. It's a stealth system with the stock HU, has incredible sound, but it won't attract thieves.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:19 PM
9th Gear

I did the opposite of you. I kept the stock head unit and changed all speakers & subwoofer, installed a 4-channel amp and a sub amp
hey Victus, i'm a total noob at this...i figured i'd need to change the speakers but i have no idea what to get....can you give me a rundown of what you got? (speaker and amp name, model,type etc) i listen to mostly alternative/rock and some hip hop.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Pro

can you give me a rundown of what you got?

I didn't want to overspend, but I still wanted a quality system with good bang for the buck, and room to grow in the future.

I ripped out the stock audio system except for the head unit.

This is what I got:
Hertz ECX 165 6.5" for front doors, Hertz ESK 165L 6.5" component kit for rear doors....and they are powered by 4ch amp Autotek m2000.4.
Hertz HX300 12" sub powered by Hifonics ZRX2000.1D mono amp. I bought a nice carpeted 3/4" thick mdf sub box from Sonicelectronix for $20 (can't beat that!!!)
Hifonics mx-3 sub enhancer/controller.

I also installed an Autotek equalizer where the stock CD holder was. Easy fit after a few simple cuts with the exacto knife. And it doesn't even look out of place.

The system really kicks. And I have enough amp power to expand the system in the future.

In fact, I am thinking of ways to add two 6.5" mid-bass woofers on the rear deck, and possibly a center rear speaker where the stock sub was.

Last edited by victus1; 06-26-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:51 AM
9th Gear

didn't want to overspend, but I still wanted a quality system with good bang for the buck, and room to grow in the future.

I ripped out the stock audio system except for the head unit.

This is what I got:
Hertz ECX 165 6.5" for front doors, Hertz ESK 165L 6.5" component kit for rear doors....and they are powered by 4ch amp Autotek m2000.4.
Hertz HX300 12" sub powered by Hifonics ZRX2000.1D mono amp. I bought a nice carpeted 3/4" thick mdf sub box from Sonicelectronix for $20 (can't beat that!!!)
Hifonics mx-3 sub enhancer/controller.

I also installed an Autotek equalizer where the stock CD holder was. Easy fit after a few simple cuts with the exacto knife. And it doesn't even look out of place.

The system really kicks. And I have enough amp power to expand the system in the future.

In fact, I am thinking of ways to add two 6.5" mid-bass woofers on the rear deck, and possibly a center rear speaker where the stock sub was.
Victus..that is a serious upgrade my friend....I was thinking of just replacing the speakers and allowing them to run on the oem amp...I know the speakers are 2 ohms so I will make sure that the new ones are the same but will my sound quality improve? And will they be able to keep up with the jl12w6 sub I just got? Don't want to put the speakers in to find that they still sound like crap......thoughts?
Old 06-29-2012, 08:11 AM
Pro

I was thinking of just replacing the speakers and allowing them to run on the oem amp...I know the speakers are 2 ohms so I will make sure that the new ones are the same but will my sound quality improve? And will they be able to keep up with the jl12w6 sub I just got? Don't want to put the speakers in to find that they still sound like crap......thoughts?

You won't be happy because the stock head unit will not have enough power to drive your new speakers. And if you keep the stock EQ (hidden behind the HU) it will make your speakers sound like crap because it cuts and massages frequencies to compensate for the crap oem speakers.

I dunno what to tell ya.....try it, if you don't like it, then you can always get a good 4ch amp with 4 x 75W for around $120 to drive your new speakers. Then you can upgrade your sub later on when you have more funds.