TL: 2G, Help with sound quality q's!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010 | 11:33 PM
Pro

2G, Help with sound quality q's!!

Hey guys so I own an 03 TL-S. Heres my setup: Stock HU, Stock speakers the only thing I added was 2 10" MTX thunder subs, running off a Alpine MRP1000 amp. The amp gets signal from tapping into the rear sub woofer and directly connecting it to the speaker input on the amp. No use of a LOC. Anyways, To tell you the truth I'm very happy with my stock system I find the quality to be amazing and it just sounds crystal clear to me. Mind you I've heard alot of "Premium sound systems" before such as
BMW E39 Harmon Kardon
Nissan BOSE
Toyota Avalon JBL system...

I prefer my BOSE of all them...lol I dont know why but im really happy with my system. Anyways A friend of mine recently handed me over his HU which is a Pioneer 5700 DVD unit. I really wanna throw it in the TL, but im afraid I'm gonna lose that sound quality that I loved! Should adding the pioneer HU instead of the stock HU and keeping the factory speakers. Will it sound better than stock, or does the stock HU sound the best with the stock speakers? I'd like a little bit more loudness. Im debating whether to install it or not, Keep in mind Im keeping the stock speakers and the subs that I added. I'm just looking for some info into whether changing the HU will give better sound quality over the stock deck!
Old 03-24-2010 | 03:42 PM
Advanced

A stock/aftermarket HU does not have a huge impact on SQ unless you're dealing with how well it pulls in radio stations or plays CDs/MP3s. What makes the biggest difference, are the speakers. If you're happy with your stock speakers, you shouldnt hear a difference in SQ at all.

*edit*
I stand correct...if your aftermarket HU produces more power than the stock, the speakers will sounds better because you'll have less distortion.

Last edited by zcspec; 03-24-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: correction...
Old 03-24-2010 | 06:01 PM
Racer

^ I back that 100%. Changed my HU to Alpine, did not hear a big difference at all.
Old 03-24-2010 | 10:41 PM
Instructor

I'm running stock speakers with aftermarket HU. Like you I'm happy with the bose. Only cuz I don't really wanna spend too much on car audio. I just wanted extra bass so I added a sub.

Relatively speaking you won't notice much improvement in SQ. However you can change how it will sound with the equalizer setting on the pioneer HU. Granted its not a dedicated equalizer but you can play with it adjust to your liking. Also if that HU and ipod/usb integration. That's always a plus over the crappy stock deck. Worst case is you can put the stock one back in if you don't like it and your're out a couple of bucks for a wire harness and dash kit. You HU was free why not try it out and see for yourself. GL

BTW if you do put in the pioneer I'd suggest running some rca's for your amp. That way you'll have separate control over your sub vs control everything through your stock amp.

Last edited by tangsauce; 03-24-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: BTW
Old 03-24-2010 | 11:17 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by tangsauce
I'm running stock speakers with aftermarket HU. Like you I'm happy with the bose. Only cuz I don't really wanna spend too much on car audio. I just wanted extra bass so I added a sub.

Relatively speaking you won't notice much improvement in SQ. However you can change how it will sound with the equalizer setting on the pioneer HU. Granted its not a dedicated equalizer but you can play with it adjust to your liking. Also if that HU and ipod/usb integration. That's always a plus over the crappy stock deck. Worst case is you can put the stock one back in if you don't like it and your're out a couple of bucks for a wire harness and dash kit. You HU was free why not try it out and see for yourself. GL

BTW if you do put in the pioneer I'd suggest running some rca's for your amp. That way you'll have separate control over your sub vs control everything through your stock amp.
Thanks for the honest replies guys, I just hope it doesn't sound worse than with the factory HU. I will be running RCA's to the amp to take full advantage of my subs. I would just like to know if the speakers sound more "fuller" or "louder" if we could say with a new Quality HU, ie: (Alpine, Pioneer). I feel like the speakers have potential to play louder but the amp or Hu limits it. Well see, I wont forget to ground the E brake wire also.... HEHE!!
Old 03-27-2010 | 06:47 AM
Drifting

hu will make a bigger difference just changing the speakers

like the saying goes, shit in, shit out
Old 03-29-2010 | 11:30 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

change the speakers, alpine type-s would sound better and you can get front and rear for less than 300, thats not all-out but will provide a huge improvement
Old 03-30-2010 | 01:50 AM
13.2@106mph G37 RWD Sedan

if you want some awesome sound grab some component speakers and find some cheap multi channel amp to power them it all depends on how much u wanna spend
Old 03-30-2010 | 10:32 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Nersh7
change the speakers, alpine type-s would sound better and you can get front and rear for less than 300, thats not all-out but will provide a huge improvement
alpines are good speakers they sound pretty clear i have 6.5 inch type R's in my front doors, stock speakers in the back, and a pioneer double din in my TL and im very satisfied with it i mean it sounds great besides having no bass because after i installed my HU i notice it wont work with the stock bose sub so now im just gonna have to but my subs and amp in.