2008 TSX - Ipod use

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007 | 09:20 PM
4th Gear

2008 TSX - Ipod use

I just brought home my new 2008 TSX. I love the car. When shopping for the car, I was excited to see the ipod aux jack.

I got on the internet tonight to try to find where and what cable to buy to use my ipod in the car. Instantly I see the horror stories of using simple $3 cables that give you horrible sound. Apparently you attach the male-male cable from Ipod's headphones port to the auxiliary port. I see posts regarding the problems with Acura's Ipod connections in earlier years' models and that the issue has been resolved.

The salesman told me that when attached, the ipod would be controlled by the steering wheel controls and song titles will be displayed.

I see in the brochure an ipod connected to the TSX with a cord that fits in the bottom of the ipod (like it does when you attach it to your computer). However, the acura website and the apple website offer NO help or advice.

Help, what should I do for the best sound.

thanks
Old 08-21-2007 | 11:04 PM
I can't find my garage

the aux jack isnt bacd. you can just get a $10-$20 higher quality 3.5mm male-male chord and use it; sound quality will remain same. but you will be only transfering sound. to use the steering wheel controls, u need to get an ipod intergrading device like the music link from acura or other after market brands
Old 08-22-2007 | 12:24 AM
Advanced

Don't bother with the music link by Acura in my opinion, look into the DICE units. Just search DICE.
Old 08-22-2007 | 09:15 AM
Senior Moderator

There are aftermarket units that are better and cheaper than the Honda solution.

Dice makes 2 products called the R3 and R4, with slightly different functionality, and USA Spec has a product called the PA11-HON2y which has been bulletproof for me. I'd go with any of these units, just research them and pick your favorite.
Old 08-22-2007 | 10:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by KConrad18
The salesman told me that when attached, the ipod would be controlled by the steering wheel controls and song titles will be displayed.
If the car only has the AUX jack, the salesman lied to you.
Even if it had the MusicLink, he still lied to you about the text being displayed.
Old 08-22-2007 | 03:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 08-22-2007 | 03:58 PM
Advanced

I just brought home my new 2008 TSX. I love the car. When shopping for the car, I was excited to see the ipod aux jack.

I got on the internet tonight to try to find where and what cable to buy to use my ipod in the car. Instantly I see the horror stories of using simple $3 cables that give you horrible sound. Apparently you attach the male-male cable from Ipod's headphones port to the auxiliary port. I see posts regarding the problems with Acura's Ipod connections in earlier years' models and that the issue has been resolved.

I see in the brochure an ipod connected to the TSX with a cord that fits in the bottom of the ipod (like it does when you attach it to your computer). However, the acura website and the apple website offer NO help or advice.

Help, what should I do for the best sound.

thanks
Tell me you didn't go to South Coast Acura in Cali, if you did then they for sure lied. It took me over a month dealing with corporate to get a refund after they lied about the Music Link and it's text abilities.
Old 08-22-2007 | 06:21 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

There's a video on YouTube where the reviewer uses the Honda iPod MusicLink on a Civic Hybrid, and it does too show the iPod information, not to mention controlling the iPod with the audio's controls.

I use the AUX input in the armrest (thoughfully situated above a charger socket) with my phone (RealOne player), PDA (Windows Media Player, Pocket PC 2000), and Pioneer Inno (MP3 + XM receiver). The armrest's mini tray holds most any player just great, and there's a cable-keeper on the underside so you can route a cable neatly. Note that, at least on my 2006, the AUX audio mode isn't enabled until a plug is inserted in the connector (thoughtful touch #92 on my Acura-adoration list).

I use a good, gold-connector cable, but you can go whole hog and get a Monster cable for $20+ at Target. Waste of money to pay more. Check Amazon. You don't need a "THX certified" cable, just one with good connectors. Because the plug inside the armrest is at the mercy of the other storage compartment's contents, I'd get something with a beefy connector at least on that end.

Really Target, Radio Shack, Wal*Mart, most any place can sell you a reasonable Belkin, Monster, Sony, et al, cable. The stock "premium" sound system isn't what I'd call premium, so I don't recommend spending beaucoup bucks on a fancy cable. Just a sturdy one.

Last edited by davidspalding; 08-22-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-22-2007 | 06:35 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Whoops, my memory was faulty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc3pcDM_JV0

You can see text information with the Civic's PC Card integration, but not the iPod. Worth $323? I don't think so.
Old 08-22-2007 | 09:12 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for the info . . . I was lied to ....

Originally Posted by Nick@DICE
If the car only has the AUX jack, the salesman lied to you.
Even if it had the MusicLink, he still lied to you about the text being displayed.
The salesman who was very quick to respond to every call before I bought the car suddenly did not return my message for over 2 days now. From my research, it looks like I was simply lied to.

Besides being pissed off, I guess there isn't much I can do. I like the car too much to give it up. Regardless, I am going to go to the dealership (Neil Huffman in Louisville, KY) and do my whole lawyer bark bark routine. Maybe I can get some free floor mats or something out of the whole mess.
Old 08-22-2007 | 09:15 PM
4th Gear

male to male connector .... Important to get gold tips

I went to best buy today, but all they had were regular looking cables (looked like those on a pair of cheap headphones).

Should I search out a gold pair?
Old 08-22-2007 | 10:56 PM
Racer

The salesman who was very quick to respond to every call before I bought the car suddenly did not return my message for over 2 days now. From my research, it looks like I was simply lied to.

Besides being pissed off, I guess there isn't much I can do. I like the car too much to give it up. Regardless, I am going to go to the dealership (Neil Huffman in Louisville, KY) and do my whole lawyer bark bark routine. Maybe I can get some free floor mats or something out of the whole mess.
I know this may sound like a shameless plug - but tell em' to give you and install a DICE kit so you'll get what was promised to you. After you get what you want with kindness, THEN verbally make them feel like a 3 year old boy who had their candy taken away from them by their parents.
Old 08-22-2007 | 10:59 PM
Racer

I went to best buy today, but all they had were regular looking cables (looked like those on a pair of cheap headphones).

Should I search out a gold pair?

You're better off going to the 99 Cent store or www.firefold.com
http://www.firefold.com/Categories/A...e-to-Male.aspx

If you use that site, use the discount code OTPRIDE.
Old 08-23-2007 | 09:32 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Nick@DICE
I know this may sound like a shameless plug - but tell em' to give you and install a DICE kit so you'll get what was promised to you. After you get what you want with kindness, THEN verbally make them feel like a 3 year old boy who had their candy taken away from them by their parents.
With this dice kit installed, will the song and artist names be displayed on the radio?
Old 08-24-2007 | 01:52 AM
Racer

With this dice kit installed, will the song and artist names be displayed on the radio?
Just as long as you get rid of XM, yes.