MDX: 2007+ MY DIY Double DIN Upgrade Coming

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 12:10 AM
MI6
Great Northerner

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool 2007+ MY DIY Double DIN Upgrade Coming

Hello,

There are many of us on here who own 2007+ model year MDX's that would like to upgrade our stereo system but are essentially limited to the factory equipment. We can install speakers, amps, et cetera. For example, more often than not these modifications/upgrades are limited to the use of line-level converters to RCA plugs to make a sub work; not ideal for those of us who like audiophile level equipment.

To date, that is over the last seven (7) model years, there has not been one manufacturer that I have seen that has produced a single product to answer our demands. Those of us with these specific model year MDX's (not the 01-06 MDX's) have had to live with (in my opinion) the horrendously crap NAV system (at least on the 07-09 MY lineup). 2010+ Honda/Acura incorporated a HDD and a NAV screen with higher resolution which also included reverse markers/indicator's that displayed on the NAV screen via the rear view camera.

I own a 2007 model year with Tech package and find myself more often than not using my iPhone to get anywhere as opposed to using the NAV (and this is with the next to latest NAV DVD upgrade---I just couldn't justify the $99 special price one that was released in the last month or so). The iPhone is brilliant, as is my wife's Samsung S3 (soon to be S4). Those of us who are stuck with the factory units are missing out on some really cool features if you are a techie like myself.

Point is, I'm going to start to take a lot of pictures about a project that is going to be a DIY project for the average Joe. The goals are relatively simple (feel free to add some if you would like):

1.) Keep it enough so that it is "sort of" OEM-looking but not screaming mad modification either.

2.) Keep it simple. I prefer that anybody will be able to do this with hand tools or tools that are relatively easy to obtain from a friend, such as a Dremel or a rivet tool. The purpose is to make this easy, not have a multi-step process that requires molds, framework, fiberglass, what-have-you: there's no place for that here!

3.) This is the hardest one. I would like to have the ability to put it back to OEM spec after the project is complete but I am unable to say with confidence that can be accomplished at this point, at least from eyeballing it. There may be some cutting required in the dash behind the factory NAV unit. Nonetheless, you can always put it back (your original OEM NAV) and have it work and look perfect. The only non-OEM spec would be a cut-away section that is hidden behind the factory NAV.

I apologize in advance for not having this all done right now and all at once. I've just done an initial tear-down today to see what the challenge is. It's going to take some time as I have a newborn, a dog, a house, work, you know the drill---life, but when I get the time I'm going to dedicate some serious work to this project (alongside my arcade project; very cool!).

I figure it's been seven years so what's another couple of months, eh? I wanted to throw this thread out there so people like me who are looking to install a double-DIN receiver and want some serious functionality will have something to look forward to. Wish me luck!

Let me know if you have any suggestions, such as should I post it in parts or should I wait until the whole project is done.

Best,
-MI6
Old 07-07-2013, 05:39 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey MI6,

I ran across your thread and wondered if you had made any progress. Unfortunately, my wife has one of these vehicles and its starting to fall apart. I won't get into the mechanical issues, but now the electronics are starting to go. 1st the bluetooth module crapped out a few months ago and now the factory CD changer is broke. For what Acura wants for the parts to get the factory system working again I could easily buy quality aftermarket components that will surely outlast the vehicle. Then comes the task of figuring out how to get a rectangle peg in a trapezoid shaped hole.

Anyway, the factory system being the garbage that it is, I'd love to get a double DIN unit in this car to serve as navi, stereo, bluetooth, etc... All the bells and whistles. If not, I'm going to trade it in on a decent car that you can actually change the stereo in without needing a degree in physics while shes out of town.