1st time install, Iggy? Southy? Darkshear? Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 09:40 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1st time install, Iggy? Southy? Darkshear? Anyone else?

hi guys, I'm preparing to install a sub and an amp in my '02 TL. This is the first install that I've tried.
- I've got an rfr3115 15in sub and a Hifonics NX750D mono amp. I'm going to keep the factory HU so I still have the steering wheel controls etc.
- My main question concerns how to get the signal for the bass amp. I have read MANY posts on this and it seems that there's two methods I could use. I believe Darkshear used the line out from the HU (I wasnt aware this HU had lineouts) and Iggy bypassed the EQ and converted the speaker wires to RCA to power the amp. I havent heard much about using the line-outs from the HU w/o bypassing the eq.
- My question is: what are the benifits and/or disadvantages of these 2 methods? I dont care about having fade control. I would prefer the easier route of course. I'm still going to use the factory HU and want it to still power the factory speakers in the front. I can do away all together with the bass amp and sub.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I'm takin a big bite with trying this install! Thnx in advance!!

TAZ
Old 01-04-2004, 09:20 AM
Mobile Elec. Guru

i am pretty sure none of the stock H/U (from any year) have RCA pre-outs. that being said there are two ways you can do this. you can do a line level input, or you use a Pac Adapter. Personally I would use the pac adapter b/c it gives you a slightly higher voltage input into the amp. all you woulld need to do is tap it off of the speaker wire that is going into the sub (here is the tricky part or that: Pac Adapters are technically meant to tap of two speakers, but that can be gotten around by connecting the positive gray wire and the positive white wire to the positive witer for the sub, and then doing the the same for the negative). from there you will now have rca outputs from the pac adapter. Just run the the rca's to the amp along with your power and you're set. If you have any other wiring questions and what not, let me know I'd be glad to help out
Old 01-04-2004, 11:47 AM
Advanced

Scott, thnx for the reply!
With either of those methods, do I need to bypass the EQ? Or do those methods tap the signal before it goes to the EQ? Also, this is the first I've heard of a PAC converter. I would assume that I just solder the speaker wires into this adaptor just like an LOC? Thnd again for the assistance!

TAZ :-)
Old 01-04-2004, 01:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Taz,
If all you are doing is adding a sub, then no, you will not have to bypass the EQ. Bypassing the EQ is only needed when you are replacing the door speakers.

Behind the rear seat back on the right side is the factory 100w sub amp that has a line level signal going into it. Most people just tap this signal to feed their aftermarket sub amp. The signal is from a twisted pair of wires in a brown sheath(blu/grn +) and (orn/blu -) that lead into the factory amp. simply tap these wires with a few feet of 16-18 gauge wire and end it with an RCA plug which will go into the new amp.

The other choice is to use a LOC that is connected to the factory sub speaker wires. Consider this though, you will be using a signal that has been amplified-reduced to line level-then amplified again, which does degrade the signal quality.

Run a search using sub amp wiring.

Here's a couple allready:

link
link

BTW- PAC is a brand name(Pacific Accessory Corporation)

Good luck,

Iggy
Old 01-06-2004, 12:16 PM
Advanced

yes, listen to iggy. i wired my sub the same way.