*56K Beware* Laptop project completed (for all you who were asking to see)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 04:35 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking *56K Beware* Laptop project completed (for all you who were asking to see)

Heres a bunch of pics of my installation of Blitzsafe adapter and power inverter. The sound quality is alot better than the tape adapter i was using before and it looks much cleaner. Since the RCA-in from the laptop was directly connected into the radio, i was hearing a loud whining sound from the power inverter's cooling fan. a quick trip to radio shak and they gave me the solution: ground loop isolator. this little gadget got out most of the noise, but i had to actually wrap a spare wire around one of the rca jacks and then ground it into one of the screws where the radio is grounded. this got rid of ALL the noise, but an unconventional method of doing it.

downside to having this is that you have to close the laptop to access the AC controls. It's kind of in the way of the radio too, but all i need is volume control with 13 gigs worth of mp3's :-D also great for wardriving. with my linksys WPC11 card i pickup access points driving thru downtown.

i purchased a margi dvd to go PCMCIA card which has a s video out for 7" headrest monitors in the future. I am selling the laptop on ebay because i want more power. its a P3 1.0ghz

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3425185347

ok now for the pics!!!

Old 07-29-2003, 04:36 PM
Racer

Old 07-29-2003, 06:22 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks nice!!! Now throw in a GPS system to the Laptop. How about the hard drive of the laptop? Wont the shaking it too much cause the HD to take a dump on you?
Old 07-29-2003, 08:29 PM
Racer

yeah im gona get a gps eventually (they are like 100$ pcmcia card.) so i can keep track of thw wi-fi spots :-D
Old 07-29-2003, 11:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YikeS! looks like a police car with that big computer sitting up on the dash like that. You could also get a new head thats MP3 compatible. Not knocking your efforts, just not liking the way it looks.

Oh one other thing, ground loop isolators do reduce the quality of bass performance. But since you are only using the stock head unit, its not going to be something you will notice in your set up.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:05 PM
Pro

nice job came out good
Old 07-30-2003, 12:00 AM
boo

Looks nice man. Looks like you put alot of time into it. Id just be worried about getting into an accident and the laptop flying in my face. Just a thought...
Old 07-30-2003, 08:56 AM
Banned

nice........ how long did dat take?? could u put one in mine?
Old 07-30-2003, 09:16 AM
Racer

2002acuraTL: i didint really notice any reduction in bass. i have 2 12's ina bandpass box. I am looking for a way to isolate the power going to the inverter cooling fan since thats causing the problem.

benzo555: yeah u have a point, laptop in face = not good. but i think it would hit the passenger. is there a way to disable passenger air bag?

ianbiz3: ive done the installation over a period of 6 months. total installation time is probobly around 6 hrs. if u have a jotto desk and a laptop. sure. come up here to orlando and ill do it for ya.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by optiq
yeah im gona get a gps eventually (they are like 100$ pcmcia card.) so i can keep track of thw wi-fi spots :-D
You wardrive too huh? I have the DLINK card hard wired to an antenna with a magnetic base that i stick through the sunroof WAY better range than just the card.

I have been looking for a nice laptop stand, but didn't want to drill into the side of the console, but I don't mind doing it into the floor....what do you do with the floormat?

Also, as far as the GPS thing...I am in the process of wiring an onstar unit from a GM car into ours strictly for this reason only...just need something to send the GPS signal to the laptop for Netstumbler

I usually use my dads truck because i hardwired an rs-232 adapter from the onstar VIU and plug it into the serial port. If you want details shoot me a PM.

P.s. once i have the results i dump them via netstumbler script into Delomre Streets and Maps and get to see my wifi spots
Old 07-30-2003, 11:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

2002acuraTL: i didint really notice any reduction in bass. i have 2 12's ina bandpass box. I am looking for a way to isolate the power going to the inverter cooling fan since thats causing the problem.

TWO fixes for you, but one is pricy. You can get a dual output alternator which has a separate winding to use just for the audio equipment (pricy) OR try using twisted pair interconnects instead of standard RCA patch cables. They eliminate most electrical problems that would otherwise 'leak' into the system.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:02 AM
Burning Brakes

if u are only powering up the laptop, you probably dont need the fan running in that inverter. i have a 300watt inverter that i use at car shows to power my laptop and play movies or mp3s and the inverter never gets hot enough to cause a proble. u know, there is a floor vent right next to where u installed it. so if u have cooling issues, just turn on the ac and your problems are solved. id say, open up the case and cut the wires powering the fan.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:16 PM
Racer

systek.. yeah very good idea i might do that. if anything i will wire the inverter fan from the fuse box so its seperate.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:51 PM
Burning Brakes

systek.. yeah very good idea i might do that. if anything i will wire the inverter fan from the fuse box so its seperate.
that may not work. the root of the problem is emi produced by that rotating fan.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:22 PM
Racer

hmmm??? i am starting to notice that i have to turn the radio up almost all the way to hear what i would sound like half way.. damn stock system isnt loud enuff! are there any overall solutions besides using the noise filter?
Old 08-03-2003, 10:55 PM
/etc/car

I suggest putting an external antenna on your wireless card. Usually have 2 antenna wires on the PCB...attach one to a cord with a plug. When you're in your car, you can plug it into a CB antenna. REALLY helps with gain. When you're out of the car, the untouched internal antenna still functions.

My wardriving adventures: http://www.harrisburgwireless.net

And yes, people DO think you're law enforcement. They look at you, you look at them, and they quickly turn away. Then they drive in your blindspot being careful not to pass you no matter how slow you go. Hehe
Old 08-03-2003, 11:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by SwampGas
I suggest putting an external antenna on your wireless card. Usually have 2 antenna wires on the PCB...attach one to a cord with a plug. When you're in your car, you can plug it into a CB antenna. REALLY helps with gain. When you're out of the car, the untouched internal antenna still functions.

My wardriving adventures: http://www.harrisburgwireless.net

And yes, people DO think you're law enforcement. They look at you, you look at them, and they quickly turn away. Then they drive in your blindspot being careful not to pass you no matter how slow you go. Hehe
lol...happens to me all the time but only when i take the black tahoe when i'm in my car they know i'm up to something...i think the plates give it away
Old 08-04-2003, 11:17 PM
/etc/car

Originally posted by ArN 2000 TL
lol...happens to me all the time but only when i take the black tahoe when i'm in my car they know i'm up to something...i think the plates give it away
So YOU'RE the guy with "FKNFAST" and "COPKILR" for plates...