My Nexus 7 Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 08:02 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
My Nexus 7 Install

Above is a quick walk-through video of my setup. Sorry for the crappy cellphone video, I was just sitting in the car and figured I might do a quick video, I might do a better one at some point in time.

The tablet is a Nexus 7 (2012) running a custom rom, Autodroid 1.2. The tablet is connected to the car through my isimple gateway with a 3.5mm. The tablet is mounted using molding putty to form a gasket around the tablet that holds it in place. I got this idea from another member OOg and it turned out great! That putty is awesome lol. I also soldered long wires onto the Nexus 7 buttons to extend them to the lower cubie in case I ever need them. I wish I had taken more pictures along the way but I was too excited as I was doing it. Below are the few that I did manage to take along with some screenshots from the tablet. If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer.

Here is a list of the major software and apps on the tablet to have it setup how I have it:
  • Apex Launcher Pro
  • Power Widget Light
  • CoPilot GPS
  • GMD GestureControl (for the gestures in the video)
  • Rocket Player
  • Tasker
  • Texdroider DPI (to change screen scaling)
  • AutoDroid 1.2 (Custom ROM)

My list of hardware (Links):
My future plans are to add a
<b><u>DAC</u></b> DAC
for better sound quality and a
<b><u>Joycon</u></b> Joycon
to program the stock buttons to interact with the tablet.

Now the pictures:

Yellow stuff is the molding putty

extended buttons

My homescreen

My popup icons

View of a page of my app draw

Last edited by aameghoo; 09-25-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:25 PM
Instructor

Gestures:
  • Next Track: 3 or 4 finger swipe from right to left
  • Prev. Track: 3 or 4 finger swipe from left to right
  • Play/Pause: 3 or 4 finger swipe Down
  • Show Popup Apps: Single Finger starting from right edge, swipe left then back right to stating point at edge
  • Back: Single Finger Swipe starting at right edge swiping left and down
  • Home: Single Finger starting at right edge, swipe left then up
  • Atl Tab (Previous App): Single Finger starting at right bottom edge, swipe left
Old 10-02-2014, 07:19 PM
00g
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Well done, dude.

That putty is the absolute shit. It's perfect for this install.

I'm glad you took on the project. And congrats for completing it!
Old 10-07-2014, 12:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Cool, looks nice.

I've got a tasker script that I can share that can be used to change the display brightness automatically based on the sunrise and sunset times which are based upon your GPS location that runs automatically at a set time (manually set in tasker) during the day to fetch the sunrise/sunset times

It needs an internet connection to run though and a google calendar labeled 'tasker', so I had it set to run in the morning during my morning commute and made a tasker button so I could manually run it to fetch the times

It's a bit tricky to setup, but I can actually just export the script and post it and it can be imported into tasker.. it helps, because the auto-brightness sensor is blocked with the in-dash install, so if you want it to dim at night and brighten during the day you need something to either tell it when to switch every day or another thing to fetch the sunrise/sunset times and then switch some settings based upon that information

lol .. I played with it a bit, I was using it to change the background and the brightness, these things are just too cool to play with, I wish my accord didn't have the nav in it I'd put a tablet in that car.. probably the one thing I'll miss the most when I sell my TL is the N7 in-dash setup
Old 10-11-2014, 11:14 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nexxus installation

good day guys i was wondering if you can help me with a walk through on how to install the nexxus 7 in my acura tl no nav and what i need to complete the job besides the already mentioned thx guys
Old 10-20-2014, 05:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 00g
Well done, dude.

That putty is the absolute shit. It's perfect for this install.

I'm glad you took on the project. And congrats for completing it!
Thanks man! I was really convinced after reading through your stuff. And yeah it's truly prefect, I couldn't imagine using anything else lol great find

Originally Posted by mzilvar
Cool, looks nice.

I've got a tasker script that I can share that can be used to change the display brightness automatically based on the sunrise and sunset times which are based upon your GPS location that runs automatically at a set time (manually set in tasker) during the day to fetch the sunrise/sunset times

It needs an internet connection to run though and a google calendar labeled 'tasker', so I had it set to run in the morning during my morning commute and made a tasker button so I could manually run it to fetch the times

It's a bit tricky to setup, but I can actually just export the script and post it and it can be imported into tasker.. it helps, because the auto-brightness sensor is blocked with the in-dash install, so if you want it to dim at night and brighten during the day you need something to either tell it when to switch every day or another thing to fetch the sunrise/sunset times and then switch some settings based upon that information

lol .. I played with it a bit, I was using it to change the background and the brightness, these things are just too cool to play with, I wish my accord didn't have the nav in it I'd put a tablet in that car.. probably the one thing I'll miss the most when I sell my TL is the N7 in-dash setup
I appreciate it man, your thread really helped with me getting everything figured out. And yeah it'd be cool to get that tasker script to at least mess around with. I currently just have tasker set brightness to max from 730am-745pm after which it goes back to 25%

Originally Posted by half04
good day guys i was wondering if you can help me with a walk through on how to install the nexxus 7 in my acura tl no nav and what i need to complete the job besides the already mentioned thx guys
To be honest the non-nav seems to be a bit more involved but there are a few people that have done it so you should be able to follow them.

Here are some good threads that helped me though:
mzilvar
NitroViper
00g
Turbocoop Would of been perfect for you but all his pictures are gone =/

Wish I could be of more help. I know the most challenging part for you will be cutting you console bezel and also relocating your displays to the cubbies below
Old 10-21-2014, 10:49 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
aameghoo:
Did you have problems with bluetooth after flashing the AutoDroid ROM?
I spent about 2 hours yesterday trying to flash both Grouper and Tilapia, but both had bluetooth issues.

USBrom is no longer available either, at least from their website.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:06 PM
Instructor

<<<@!1!@>>> <--Quoting Rhydon not working

I don't use bluetooth a whole lot. I did have problems with the
<u><b>Isimple Bluetooth Add-on</b></u> Isimple Bluetooth Add-on
in that it was very inconsistent with connecting to the Nexus when I turned on the car, it would work right about 1 out of 10 times. I ended up returning the Isimple add-on and getting that DAC in my OP instead. I do miss being able to change songs with my steering wheel with the Bluetooth when it actually worked but I'll be installing a Joycon soon enough that will allow me to get that back and even more features. My phone and a keyboard are the only other bluetooth devices I've used with the Nexus and they work perfectly on AutoDroid. I think I might have a copy of USBRom somewhere that I downloaded before he pulled it that I might be able to send to you though it you want to try it. The Isimple add-on also never worked consistently with USBRom either btw.

Last edited by aameghoo; 10-21-2014 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Tried to fix quoting Rhydon not showing up correctly with no luck
Old 10-27-2014, 07:22 PM
3rd Gear

clean install
Old 11-04-2014, 07:19 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sick set up brah
Old 11-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Did you take the motherboard off the navi screen and tape it to the tablet? I thought about doing that, but didn't know if it would work.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:46 PM
10th Gear

What app did you use for the peronal greeting?
Old 12-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow! That is fantastic. Well done!
The following users liked this post:
aameghoo (12-19-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Instructor

Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by Rhydon
Did you take the motherboard off the navi screen and tape it to the tablet? I thought about doing that, but didn't know if it would work.
Yeah I took the board off the navi screen and out of its metal frame (wouldn't fit with it). I didnt tape it to the tablet though, I taped the 2 boards together (the navi boards) and tucked it in the space behind where the tablet sits. It's a tight fit but it fits back there nicely. If I every take it apart I'll post pictures so you can have a better idea.

Originally Posted by ReNeGaDe27
What app did you use for the peronal greeting?
I used tasker, the "say" action to be exact.

I can upload a backup of my tasker data if anyone wants it.

Also here's a picture of my new layout

Old 12-09-2014, 08:30 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
To put it in French.

I am, le impressed.
aameghoo (12-19-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
New homescreen layout looks clean. How did you do that?

I'm still working to get my tablet configured. Here's how it looks so far...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2nZEgp1l3_CZkMxMFZwcV9NTUE/edit?usp=docslist_api
Old 12-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by aameghoo
Thanks everyone!

Yeah I took the board off the navi screen and out of its metal frame (wouldn't fit with it). I didnt tape it to the tablet though, I taped the 2 boards together (the navi boards) and tucked it in the space behind where the tablet sits. It's a tight fit but it fits back there nicely. If I every take it apart I'll post pictures so you can have a better idea.

I used tasker, the "say" action to be exact.

I can upload a backup of my tasker data if anyone wants it.

Also here's a picture of my new layout

If you could upload a backup of your tasker data that would be awesome. Going to tackle this within the next week or two, I have all the materials just want my nexus set up 100%

Originally Posted by RobCSU

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2nZ...p=docslist_api

+1 on the layout

Also, look like your google docs is private.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Does handsfree link still work with cell phones?
Old 12-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RobCSU

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2nZ...p=docslist_api
It's an app called Car Dashdroid I tweaked around with it a little, it's pretty straight forward though. And yeah I'm not able to view your link

Originally Posted by TLrascal
If you could upload a backup of your tasker data that would be awesome. Going to tackle this within the next week or two, I have all the materials just want my nexus set up 100%

+1 on the layout

Also, look like your google docs is private.
Ok will do once I get the chance to pull it off the Nexus and upload it

Originally Posted by maddogtheta
Does handsfree link still work with cell phones?
Yeah handsfree link still works, everything still works as before, only difference now is the nav screen isn't there but everything else functions exactly how it did before
maddogtheta (12-24-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 11:28 AM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
I am also trying to do this. Still waiting on some of the parts to come in. I was wondering if you are able to read data off the usb using the autodroid with the OTG cable? it is not a big deal to me but it would be nice to be able to load data on the tab after the install.

My factory nav is dying so i just want to go this route. As long as i get navigation and backup camera i am good anything else is icing on the cake.

I do have a backup camera setup tested outside the car and its working good. Once i get all the stuff i will probably create a new thread.

I dont want to solder any wires since i have the tab set to power on even if the battery dies and also have an app to do reboots and ability to get to recovery so can you guys think of any reason why i should extend the wires from the buttons?
Also which NAV application are you guys using? I am thinking about co pilot but have not purchased premium just yet.

Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully i can get this installed soon
Old 12-21-2014, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by zsameer
I am also trying to do this. Still waiting on some of the parts to come in. I was wondering if you are able to read data off the usb using the autodroid with the OTG cable? it is not a big deal to me but it would be nice to be able to load data on the tab after the install.

My factory nav is dying so i just want to go this route. As long as i get navigation and backup camera i am good anything else is icing on the cake.

I do have a backup camera setup tested outside the car and its working good. Once i get all the stuff i will probably create a new thread.

I dont want to solder any wires since i have the tab set to power on even if the battery dies and also have an app to do reboots and ability to get to recovery so can you guys think of any reason why i should extend the wires from the buttons?
Also which NAV application are you guys using? I am thinking about co pilot but have not purchased premium just yet.

Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully i can get this installed soon
Yeah I have a 4 port hub and I can just stick a flash drive in there and it will read right off it.

How did you get the backup cam to work? I was never able to get mine to, it's still sitting in my glovebox.

To be honest I would say it's worth it to at least extend the power button. There's been a few times mine has went into a deep freeze (screen not coming on no matter what I do) and holding down the power button for about 10 seconds would reboot it. If I didn't have the power button extended my only 2 options would of been wait till it dies which could be a week or more, or take things apart so I could get to the button on the tablet.

I will say soldering the buttons was the biggest pain in the ass I had with the install since they're so small. You really only need the power button though and that's pretty much just for when the tablet locks up. There's a 4th button on the button ribbon that doesn't do anything, I would say practice on that so you can get a feel of it before moving on to the power button. The hardest part was getting the solder to stick, I found that if I heated the metal on the button first, the solder was much more likely to bond to it. I also put hot glue on the button after I soldered them to reinforce the joint to make sure it wouldn't break off.

An ADB command might also get it to reboot if you have your computer on hand, haven't tried that though since I just use the power button so I can't say for sure, just a side thought
The following 2 users liked this post by aameghoo:
triax37 (12-23-2014), zsameer (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 08:25 PM
Racer

I can get the usb to mount but i cant read any of the files. Did you have to install any special app?
As for the camera, i am going to use a wifi camera. its only 39 bucks on ebay so i figured i'd give it a try. So far so good. The only issue is the whole thing is assembled and i dont understand how they expect to get all that through a round hole. i was able to remove the camera from the unit after i opened it. i will reconnect everything once i get the camera mounted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Local-Ship-New-Wifi-Car-Backup-Rear-View-Reversing-Camera-Cam-For-Andriod-/251585966543?pt=US_Rear_View_Monitors_Cams_Kits&hash=item3a93b131cf
outside of the car testing i can get the image to show up on the tab within 5 seconds of giving power to the tablet to wake up from sleep mode. the camera app automatically comes up once there is power to the reverse cable and goes away when its removed. So it should automatically work when the car is in reverse. we will see how that goes once everything is in the car.

I am just stumped on whats the issue with the usb drive. could it be that my Y cable is bad?

Soldering the wires looks like a pain. i guess i am gonna take a chance and not do it, maybe i can come up with a mechanical device to push the button

If you can think of any reason why the USB drive is not working let me know. I am using the Kang-aroo kernal with the Kangarom. The autodroid was giving me issues with the camera.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:45 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
....I am just stumped on whats the issue with the usb drive. could it be that my Y cable is bad?...
Yes, the off-brands are notorious for being bad/going bad.
zsameer (12-22-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 08:19 AM
Racer

Just got the usb working. Used OTG troubleshooter and everything was working. Got the Nexsus Media Importer and now i can stream from usb or copy files from usb to my tab.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:39 AM
Intermediate

I can get the usb to mount but i cant read any of the files. Did you have to install any special app?
As for the camera, i am going to use a wifi camera. its only 39 bucks on ebay so i figured i'd give it a try. So far so good. The only issue is the whole thing is assembled and i dont understand how they expect to get all that through a round hole. i was able to remove the camera from the unit after i opened it. i will reconnect everything once i get the camera mounted.

US Local SHIP New WiFi Car Backup Rear View Reversing Camera Cam for Andriod | eBay

outside of the car testing i can get the image to show up on the tab within 5 seconds of giving power to the tablet to wake up from sleep mode. the camera app automatically comes up once there is power to the reverse cable and goes away when its removed. So it should automatically work when the car is in reverse. we will see how that goes once everything is in the car.

I am just stumped on whats the issue with the usb drive. could it be that my Y cable is bad?

Soldering the wires looks like a pain. i guess i am gonna take a chance and not do it, maybe i can come up with a mechanical device to push the button

If you can think of any reason why the USB drive is not working let me know. I am using the Kang-aroo kernal with the Kangarom. The autodroid was giving me issues with the camera.

I always wanted a backup cam, and just recently installed my nexus (two days ago actually). It would be great if you could let us know how the install goes and how well the wifi backup cam works.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLrascal
I always wanted a backup cam, and just recently installed my nexus (two days ago actually). It would be great if you could let us know how the install goes and how well the wifi backup cam works.

Sure man. I will try to do this hopefully sooner than later. I will probably start working on the camera install today. I will post the results once done.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:29 PM
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
Great discussion! Love seeing the collaboration, and more people installing this tablet option to our dated navigation system!

If your wireless camera doesn't work as you would like, I went with a wired option that works well and have a brief discussion in my thread. The summary is that most backup cameras output in analog format, and the Nexus needs a digital input. So there is a $70 converter you can plug into the USB hub, then route a USB cable to your trunk and plug into the $20 camera:

Originally Posted by triax37
The guy is in Taiwan and isn't selling them through a retail channel - but you can email him and he'll sell you a "demonstration" version of the Febon 100. It converts an analog video (standard $20 camera) to digital video (Nexus 7). Ship time was about 10 days to Colorado.

Febon products: SUNRIASE CO., LTD
Old 12-23-2014, 05:36 PM
Racer

Camera Install

Well got the camera installed today. Had to yank the stuff that I had installed with the factory nav. Cant believe I paid over 400 for that back in the day. The install was not too bad. Not liking the mounting position of the camera, will probably be changing it later on. The damn cable from the camera to the box was too short had to route it through the license plate light. Will tackle the tab,DAC and bluetooth streaming isimple tomorrow. The camera takes about 5-7 seconds to show the image. Not the greatest but not too bad. I was checking it on my phone and when I put the car in reverse, even though my phone screen was off, it connected on its own and showed the image on my phone. That’s the part I like that its built in and I didn’t have to come up with a way to trigger the video.

Finally checked on the tab and the video looks much better than the one i used to have. The app gives you option for normal or HD quality. I have it on HD.

Old camera

post img
Old stuff removed. 400 bucks worth of trash

picture upload

New hole drilled for the new camera..not liking this as much as I thoght I would

host image online

Wire routed throgh the license plate light

imagur

Camera unit with double sided table

photo sharing

Everyhing put back together

upload img

image ru

upload images
Old 12-23-2014, 05:55 PM
Racer

Will plastidip the chrome bar and I think that would look fine. Other wise its too prominent.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Will plastidip the chrome bar and I think that would look fine. Other wise its too prominent.
Nice job with the camera, are you going to integrate a backup function so it automatically kicks over to the backup cam when you go into reverse?

The JEXR has that capability of picking up and feeding the trigger into android if you're using a USB-OTG capable ROM.

It actually picks up the trigger off the reverse lights.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Racer

Thanks bro. Hopefully the tab goes in without a lot of issues. Its automatically kicking in when I go in reverse. That's already built in the camera and the app it uses.

Last edited by zsameer; 12-23-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:20 PM
Burning Brakes

that's interesting it must be the way that box is wired in, the still pic of the video looks good too, what kind of fps does it get? is it choppy at all? that's really cheap for a back-up camera and a really simple install
Old 12-23-2014, 11:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mzilvar
that's interesting it must be the way that box is wired in, the still pic of the video looks good too, what kind of fps does it get? is it choppy at all? that's really cheap for a back-up camera and a really simple install
It didn't really have a whole lot of specs listed so not sure on the fps. Its not too bad but its not as smooth as my old camera. I haven't tried on normal view. Once I get everything installed I will try yi make a video for you guys. But for $40 its not bad at all. Its better than not having anything at all. The image quality is quite good.

I do have a question for you regarding the tablet mounting. So all you are using is the molding putty and that hold it in place? Any pointers on this process would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:08 AM
Intermediate

It didn't really have a whole lot of specs listed so not sure on the fps. Its not too bad but its not as smooth as my old camera. I haven't tried on normal view. Once I get everything installed I will try yi make a video for you guys. But for $40 its not bad at all. Its better than not having anything at all. The image quality is quite good.

I do have a question for you regarding the tablet mounting. So all you are using is the molding putty and that hold it in place? Any pointers on this process would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Looks good, I might go that route since I already installed my nexus and don't want to open it all back up to install an OTG cable.

As for the putty, use amazing putty and its great. Mix equal parts and just mold it around the tablet. Super easy to use.
zsameer (12-24-2014)
Old 12-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

That works, I have a piece of plexiglass along the back as well with hot glue (could use more of the molding putty) stacked up to push on the back of the tablet. The hot glue is softer though, the JB weld or whatever putty epoxy stuff gets pretty hard. The plexiglass is screwed into the back where the metal case was screwed in and prevents the tablet from popping out if I push on the touch screen too hard.

I also have a fan mounted on the plexiglass, but really not needed.
zsameer (12-24-2014)
Old 12-24-2014, 05:24 PM
Racer

Thanks to all who helped here. I have completed my install today and created a new thread with a lot of pics and also posted a video showing the backup camera in action.

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b.../#post15279915
Old 12-27-2014, 06:14 AM
Racer

GPS issues

Have you guys had any GPS issues with the tablet. I am not getting a constant fix. Its comes in for a little while and then goes back to looking for satellites. I am using copilot GPS software. Has anyone extended the GPS antenna on these?
Old 12-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Have you guys had any GPS issues with the tablet. I am not getting a constant fix. Its comes in for a little while and then goes back to looking for satellites. I am using copilot GPS software. Has anyone extended the GPS antenna on these?
When I had the 2012 n7 I stalled I did have GPS issues. Luckily the 2013 has never had any problems picking up GPS.
zsameer (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 07:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by tjl_48
When I had the 2012 n7 I stalled I did have GPS issues. Luckily the 2013 has never had any problems picking up GPS.
Thanks for the info. It seems to work most of the time but it does not get a very strong GPS signal. I have ordered a GPS receiver and transmitter to hopefully fix this issue.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:53 PM
Racer

GPS issue fixed

I ordered a GPS receiver and transmitter for $40 from amazon. It was a bitch to find the right spot for the two to work. According to the instructions the two have to be 3 meters apart yet its made for a car....Go figure. Anyways after trying many different locations found the sweet spot and now I have decent GPS signal and it locks on quick and doesn't lose signal.

Without the transmitter:
20mb image hosting

With transmitter:
capture screen
The following 2 users liked this post by zsameer:
aameghoo (01-03-2015), EvilVirus (01-06-2015)

Quick Reply: My Nexus 7 Install