Integra Integra & RSX Discussion

RSX seemingly not going into gear, what's wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 07:33 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RSX seemingly not going into gear, what's wrong?

Hello everyone,

I have an 04 Acura RSX Type-S. I was driving home on the highway yesterday using Cruise control going 70mph. I noticed my RPMs getting higher and higher which is normal when I'm going up a little hill and it's trying to maintain speed, but I noticed that it was going higher than normal and seemingly not getting any traction. I decided to just take CC off and drive but it was still seemingly getting no traction. I eventually realized that I was steadily slowing down and just coasting even while I'm in gear. I could put it into any gear I wish and nothing would happen. I pulled over and came to a stop. Put it into 1st gear and released the clutch and it did not budge. I could put my car into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and reverse (Wouldn't let me put it into 5th or 6th) and it would do nothing. Something looked to be leaking from the bottom of my car but I'm not very car-savvy so I could not pin point what it was or what it was coming from, but I am smart enough to know that the smell was abnormal. I ended up getting it towed home. It starts just fine, it was driving fine with not apparent issues when this all happened. My cousin who is a master mechanic (Lives several states away so could not look at it), I told him the issues and he thinks it's my clutch and that it just gave out.

Do you agree? Or do you think it might be something else?

Any help would be awesome! Thanks guys!!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:41 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
2 issues here.

clutch

and low tranny fluid.
without looking at the car, making an educated guess, you damaged your tranny. which then started leaking. no to little fluid would make it hard to put it into gear.

when the RPMs climb and speed does not, thats the clutch!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Intermediate

What do I do?

thanks for the reply
Old 08-30-2013, 10:11 AM

well, first, you need to figure out what and where the leak is coming from.
if it is indeed the tranny, you'll have to patch up, replace tranny, or replace transfer case to tranny.

I cannot diagnose over the internet. its very hard. as, I am just assuming.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Intermediate

It is not hard to shift, it's as easy to shift as it's ever been, but it just does not go into gear. I was outside looking at it, had my gf push the clutch in and out and I did not notice anything actually moving (I don't know if anything would move when the clutch is let in and out). But when I had her shift I could see the car shifting. She was shifting with the clutch out. I then started the car and it still would shift and the clutch seemed to do nothing
Old 08-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Jeff

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ixSLACKERxi
Hello everyone,

I have an 04 Acura RSX Type-S. I was driving home on the highway yesterday using Cruise control going 70mph. I noticed my RPMs getting higher and higher which is normal when I'm going up a little hill and it's trying to maintain speed, but I noticed that it was going higher than normal and seemingly not getting any traction. I decided to just take CC off and drive but it was still seemingly getting no traction. I eventually realized that I was steadily slowing down and just coasting even while I'm in gear. I could put it into any gear I wish and nothing would happen. I pulled over and came to a stop. Put it into 1st gear and released the clutch and it did not budge. I could put my car into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and reverse (Wouldn't let me put it into 5th or 6th) and it would do nothing. Something looked to be leaking from the bottom of my car but I'm not very car-savvy so I could not pin point what it was or what it was coming from, but I am smart enough to know that the smell was abnormal. I ended up getting it towed home. It starts just fine, it was driving fine with not apparent issues when this all happened. My cousin who is a master mechanic (Lives several states away so could not look at it), I told him the issues and he thinks it's my clutch and that it just gave out.

Do you agree? Or do you think it might be something else?

Any help would be awesome! Thanks guys!!
Originally Posted by justnspace
2 issues here.

clutch

and low tranny fluid.
without looking at the car, making an educated guess, you damaged your tranny. which then started leaking. no to little fluid would make it hard to put it into gear.

when the RPMs climb and speed does not, thats the clutch!
Originally Posted by justnspace
well, first, you need to figure out what and where the leak is coming from.
if it is indeed the tranny, you'll have to patch up, replace tranny, or replace transfer case to tranny.

I cannot diagnose over the internet. its very hard. as, I am just assuming.
It is not hard to shift, it's as easy to shift as it's ever been, but it just does not go into gear. I was outside looking at it, had my gf push the clutch in and out and I did not notice anything actually moving (I don't know if anything would move when the clutch is let in and out). But when I had her shift I could see the car shifting. She was shifting with the clutch out. I then started the car and it still would shift and the clutch seemed to do nothing
To me it sounds like a toasted clutch disc, I had a buddy who had his drain plug fall out and he drove for 10-20 miles with no fluid and had no issues.

First off, you are going to need to pull the tranny so you should start on that... I am pretty sure it would be the clutch from the way you described your rpms going up but no traction.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply Jeff,

I know very little about cars, I don't know what a clutch disc is, or how serious that may be. How bad is that?
Old 08-31-2013, 12:05 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts
It cost me $800 to change the worn clutch in my Saturn. I had a mechanic do it.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Jeff

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Thanks for the reply Jeff,

I know very little about cars, I don't know what a clutch disc is, or how serious that may be. How bad is that?
the clutch disc means you need to replace your clutch. You are looking at probably like 300-400 in parts and labor can be anywhere from 500-1000+ depending where you take it and how much they charge. I think the book says 8 or so hours of labor
Old 08-31-2013, 08:05 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it. Hopefully I can find out more tomorrow when my gf's Dad takes a look at it, hopefully just to verify the issue so I can finally have a mechanic look at it and get a idea
Old 09-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Intermediate

Hey guys,

My girlfriend's Dad looked at my car and he says it's the clutch, he says he could smell that it was burnt out. He says he's unsure if it would need a fly wheel as well because it would need to be open to know for sure
Old 09-04-2013, 08:43 AM
Intermediate

What do I need to buy to replace the clutch? Also what about the fly wheel just in case?
Old 09-04-2013, 08:47 AM

the thing that concerns me is that you said there was fluid leaking.
and that it will not go in gear.
this leads me to believe that the tranny is done as well.

tranny and clutch are two different things.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Intermediate

My girlfriend's Dad looked at it and he says it's the clutch. As far as the fluid leaking goes, I think I was wrong, there was something coming from beneath my car but I'm pretty sure it was just the water from my AC.

What do I need in full for my clutch? Is the Clutch kit all I need to replace my clutch?
Old 09-12-2013, 08:03 AM
Acura Fanboy

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Clutch disk, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, possibly flywheel depending on its condition.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:45 PM
Intermediate

How much should I be looking at price-wise to replace my clutch?

I know the labor part might be tough but what about the parts? I don't know if it's the Fly wheel but lets assume it's not, how much would that be? And if it is the fly wheel, how much may that be?
Old 10-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
clutch is a pain in the ass for the rsx, you have to drop the subframe, remove axle, and support the engine/trans on different jacks to get to it

here ya go homie

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=718585

http://customdc5.my-php.net/diy/clutch/
Old 11-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Intermediate

Thanks guys! Turns out it was the clutch, I got it replaced parts and labor for around $700.

UNFORTUNATELY the damn mechanic who did this, forgot to put the bolt back into the front engine mount and now the mount is broken from shifting around. So I'm dealing with that dumb issue.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Asian Persuasion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm gonna be replacing the clutch in my 04 rsx type s. I'm getting an oem exedy clutch for $180 and then I may have to get my flywheel resurfaced for $25. The clutch I'll put in myself. Shouldn't take me that long. hopefully at the most 5 hrs. I work at shop. I have my own bay which helps.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:35 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No gears after transmission swap??

After i swapped my transmission hooked it all back up i had no gears.. free flowing gear box. When you grab the stick you cant find any gear and it starts up in gear? Anyone know what my issue is? Rocker pin?