Door Lock Logic

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 09:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts
Door Lock Logic

Initial setting: doors are all locked.

Coming to the front passenger door, all I have to do is touch the handle (I do not want to open the door), you hear the beep and the right rear passenger door will unlock. I do this if I just want to drop something onto the back seat or floor, when going shopping for example.

Do that to driver's door, you hear the beep, but the left rear passenger door does NOT unlock? You have to open the driver's door and hit the unlock button.

Where is the logic in that? By the way, both rear doors have the Childproof Door Locks deactivated.

Surely RDX Rick will have an answer for this one.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:33 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I believe there is a setting for whether all doors unlock or only the driver's door. You might need to switch the setting from only the driver's door to all doors.

Gregg
Old 07-17-2018, 01:35 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Access the "Door Setup" menu in the "Vehicle Settings" screen on the MID and set it to what you want. See Customized Features section of the owner's manual (P. 102 for '17 RDX).
Old 07-17-2018, 06:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vbgregg
I believe there is a setting for whether all doors unlock or only the driver's door. You might need to switch the setting from only the driver's door to all doors.

Gregg
Hello, I am aware of that feature. Its just the left rear door that does not unlock when touching the driver's door handle. The right rear door does when doing so.

Give it a try the way I explained it above.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redrdx17
Access the "Door Setup" menu in the "Vehicle Settings" screen on the MID and set it to what you want. See Customized Features section of the owner's manual (P. 102 for '17 RDX).
I'll give that a try tomorrow and see if there are other options.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:46 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
redrdx17 is correct according to the owners manual. When your RDX arrives from the factory it is set to unlock the drivers door only when the drivers handle is lifted.

This is the best setting for security so that a lone driver ( perhaps a female) can get into the car without allowing someone else to jump in via any of the other doors.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Rick, all my doors unlock except the left rear door when just "touching" the front door handles. If my right rear door unlocks when touching the right front door handle, why does my left rear door not unlock when touching the driver's door handle?

Now this is either a safety feature (Acura does not want the left rear door to open to put items in since maybe it is on the side that has traffic) or it is either defective. I'll have to stop by the Acura dealer and check out another RDX to see if that is the norm.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
My 2014 RDX Tech behaves just like yours; I got used to it after trying to change it via settings but wasn't successful.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:55 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Tech
Rick, all my doors unlock except the left rear door when just "touching" the front door handles. If my right rear door unlocks when touching the right front door handle, why does my left rear door not unlock when touching the driver's door handle?.
Are you saying that when you touch the drivers handle that 3 doors and the hatch unlock, and only the drivers side rear door fails to unlock?

If that is the case, you must have already changed the setting from the factory default, and the drivers side rear door has a problem. Although this seems unlikely since all the wiring to the door is intact if it unlocks OK using the armrest button.

On the other hand, if only the drivers door unlocks when touching the drivers side handle, and none of the other 3, or the hatch unlock, then it is working completely as designed.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:52 AM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
I set our 2014 to unlock all doors and that's exactly what it does when I grab the driver's or passenger's handle...unlock ALL the doors, including the left rear. That's what I would expect it to do. If it doesn't, there's likely a problem with it.

Try using the fob to lock & unlock & see if all the doors do what they're supposed to. If the left read still doesn't unlock I would say there's a problem with it.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Rick and Mark, will check all possibilities now and get back to you.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:56 PM
Burning Brakes

OK, so I made a change in the Door Lock Mode and the left rear door now opens when the front passenger or driver's door is grabbed or touched.

That does not explain why the right rear door would open (the left rear door would not) prior to the Door Lock Mode change.

Sheesh...programmers.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:02 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
doesn't make sense to me either but at least it's working the way you want it to?
Old 07-22-2018, 09:17 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
On the other hand, if only the drivers door unlocks when touching the drivers side handle, and none of the other 3, or the hatch unlock, then it is working completely as designed.
OK, so I made a change in the Door Lock Mode and the left rear door now opens when the front passenger or driver's door is grabbed or touched.

That does not explain why the right rear door would open (the left rear door would not) prior to the Door Lock Mode change.

Sheesh...programmers.
So your door settings were in the default mode. That mode is intended to only unlock the drivers door and nothing else when the drivers handle is touched, and it appears that was working properly. The logic may seem clearer if you understand the likely reasoning behind it.

If someone is getting into a car late at night, unlocking all the doors would allow an intruder to hop into any of the other doors and place the driver at risk. The default setting allows the driver to jump into the car alone, and lock the doors immediately after entering. No one hiding on the passenger side can jump in when they hear the doors unlock.

The logic for the passenger door being unlocked, assumes that if someone possessing the key, lifts the passenger door handle, then there is a more likely probability that the owner is not alone. Perhaps he is being a gentleman and letting his wife in first, or simply loading some cargo. In this case having all doors open is more preferred.

I think the logic makes sense, and I prefer that touching the drivers door only unlocks the drivers door. If I do want to open all the doors on occasion, I just pull the FOB out of my pocket and press the unlock button twice.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
So your door settings were in the default mode. That mode is intended to only unlock the drivers door and nothing else when the drivers handle is touched, and it appears that was working properly.
Not really. When the Door Lock Mode was in Driver's Door only mode, I or anyone else could open the passenger (front) door and the passenger (rear) door. Probably because the remote is within signal range as in my pocket. Let me get a passenger to try to open the door when I am getting in.

Let me do a truth table on this. I'd like to figure this out.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:48 AM
Pro

I or anyone else could open the passenger (front) door and the passenger (rear) door. Probably because the remote is within signal range as in my pocket..
A door should only unlock if the FOB is within 3 feet (approx) of the handle being touched. In other words, if you are standing near the driver's side handle, and someone lifts the passenger handle, it should not open.

At this point you should leave the FOB indoors, and make sure that no doors will open without the FOB.

You have mentioned several times that touching the front passenger's handle unlocks the front and rear passenger doors (as it should), but you never mentioned if it also unlocks the 2 drivers side doors and the hatch. Try touching the front passenger door handle to unlock it, then place the FOB a good distance away, and then check how many doors had actually unlocked.

Do the same test on the drivers front door. You can also try the hatch.

Since you changed the setting from default, all 5 doors should unlock when touching either the drivers or passenger front door handle.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:50 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Not really. When the Door Lock Mode was in Driver's Door only mode, I or anyone else could open the passenger (front) door and the passenger (rear) door. Probably because the remote is within signal range as in my pocket. Let me get a passenger to try to open the door when I am getting in.

Let me do a truth table on this. I'd like to figure this out.
Have you tried this? It only unlocks the drivers door in mine. When I walk up and touch the handle, my door opens and nobody else gets in until I hit the switch on the door to open the remaining doors.