05 base TL morphed to 08 TL type S

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 08:01 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Funmonkey
I have been looking everywhere for some forged 9:1 pistons for this J35. I can’t find any pistons for the J35 at all, do you all know of any company that sells them? I’ve reached out to a company called CP-Carrillo that said they can custom make them but need a sample piston from said motor. I don’t have any yet, y’all have any recommendations on this?
You may be overthinking this a bit; have you considered using stock pistons and the (shorter) rods from the 3.7 liter J37 motor (assuming they'll fit)?
Old 08-13-2018, 08:36 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
You may be overthinking this a bit; have you considered using stock pistons and the (shorter) rods from the 3.7 liter J37 motor (assuming they'll fit)?
you’re right on the over thinking part for sure. I read that my motor has forged crank and rods but the pistons were the weak point (correct me if I’m wrong). Will the stock pistons be able to take a turbo With approximately 10 pounds of boost? Will the shorter rods give me the compression I’m looking for? What about performance?
Old 08-13-2018, 08:40 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts

you’re right on the over thinking part for sure. I read that my motor has forged crank and rods but the pistons were the weak point (correct me if I’m wrong). Will the stock pistons be able to take a turbo With approximately 10 pounds of boost? Will the shorter rods give me the compression I’m looking for? What about performance?
I haven't done the math so I don't know what the J37 rods (which are something like 1.5mm shorter than the J35 rods) will yield in compression, but I'm sure it will be in the ball park. With 10PSI you're unlikely to develop much more than 450-480 hp (a rough gut calculation), and everything I've read says the internals of pretty much all J-Series engines should easily be able to take that much power.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by horseshoez
I haven't done the math so I don't know what the J37 rods (which are something like 1.5mm shorter than the J35 rods) will yield in compression, but I'm sure it will be in the ball park. With 10PSI you're unlikely to develop much more than 450-480 hp (a rough gut calculation), and everything I've read says the internals of pretty much all J-Series engines should easily be able to take that much power.
I was planning on retaining the stock crank and rods when my motor gets rebuilt, I’ll probably retain the pistons too to save money on this build. That’s also the hp range I was going for too, thanks for your help.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:40 PM
Advanced

This will be my first turbo build and I’m mainly looking for any direction from you all on turbo brands, models and options. I have looked at so many and can’t decide what to go with and wondering what you guys run. I’m looking for 300 to 600 hp, least amount of turbo lag, rpm range 5k to 8k power band. So far I'm looking at a precision turbo 55mm size, what do you think of this one? My heads are full port and polish, stage 2 cams, 3.7L intake and throttle, rebuilt rotating assembly with 9 or 10:1 compression. I’m looking for people that have done this kind of thing before and can recommend a good turbo, thank you.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 127 Posts
We use Borg Warner with zero issues. 300-600hp though? Just a little gap for your end goals hahaha The turbo and headers are the easiest thing to deal with, you need to start thinking about all the other mods youll have to do in order to make that power semi-reliably.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:43 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by 90foxnotch
We use Borg Warner with zero issues. 300-600hp though? Just a little gap for your end goals hahaha The turbo and headers are the easiest thing to deal with, you need to start thinking about all the other mods youll have to do in order to make that power semi-reliably.
the auto trans shredded at like 350hp...
the 6MT fared a little better but still shredded past the 400hp mark

Good luck, OP! you'll need it
Old 09-14-2018, 09:10 AM
Late to the 3G Party

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
I was planning on retaining the stock crank and rods when my motor gets rebuilt, I’ll probably retain the pistons too to save money on this build. That’s also the hp range I was going for too, thanks for your help.
stock rods won't be sufficient for the max power goal you're shooting for and the Pistons most likely won't be either. After about 10 psi you need to begin worrying about valve float, so will have to upgrade springs retainers as well.

FYI, if you're looking to take shortcuts to save money, this project is not for you.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:09 AM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
I never swapped out the engine but I was able to install a tpms and a SRS and a cluster from an 08 typeS. And I still use the same bus that the 05 used for the traction control. All those are on the same bus. I think it is the F-CAN. But there are 2 controller area networks. One is fast, and the other is slower. I do not remember the name of the slower network. I do not remember every component on each network. I'm on a train now heading to work. But it should be noted that when I login to the ECM, it does not see the tpms. I think that is correct. It's been about 4 yrs since I dabbled in it. But I know the tpms and srs and the traction control are on the same controller area network. For some reason it does see the new SRS and I was able to reset it, but I think I never got it to see the tpms even though the cluster and everything it working on the same CAN. Even the cluster reports the tire pressure perfectly to this day. But you need to have 2 helms books to compare to see the differences. I have 2 helms books. 1 for 07 and 1 for 05..
Old 10-03-2022, 05:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey man do you still have the car
I have an 06 with and 08 engine and transmission and I have to CEL on and SRS on
I need more information to what you done
Old 10-03-2022, 11:24 AM
Drifting

well I have not done an engine swap on this car, so I do not have any foreknowledge of the issues you would encounter.
But I can tell you how I would approach it.
#1 Buy 2 sets of Helm books to you can compare between the 06 and 08 and see what changed. And to start off, I would read the codes in the ECM to see which system(s) is having problems.
#2 Compare the pins out of each device on the system that is giving an error or CEL.

My Helm book does not cover 2006. They skipped that year for whatever reason..
As far as the SRS error, it could be an FCAN connection problem that changed the pinout when you did the motor swap. But I am not sure about 2006. If not that, then it could be an actual problem with one of the sensors on the SRS system... which includes the airbags and seat sensors.. If you upgraded the speedometer too, then it could be an FCAN issue, If it is like the 05. But again I am not sure about 2006. Did you change the Speedometer?
Old 10-04-2022, 06:06 PM
Intermediate

Yes I did get the cluster changed

I hoping it’s as simple as adding the Can-bus wires From the DLC to the green connector behind the center vents
Old 10-04-2022, 06:56 PM
Drifting

DLC? The SRS unit is what it is called that controls that airbag light..
Does your tpms work?
You need to buy 2 Helm books. One for 06 and 1 for 07, so you can compare.. And get the pinouts.
I suspect the 06 is like my 05 if it had the same oem cluster. If so, then this is the difference between the 05 and the 07/08
Honda moved the airbag control light from a single wire that runs between the SRS unit and the Cluster... ---TO ---- The FCAN bus.
The 07/08 Speedo already has a FCAN connection. (that is why your TPMS probably works, if you do in fact have tpms, because the FCAN bus is already wired on the cluster side and the TPMS controller unit side)
How to put the airbag light On the FCAN.
Your cluster is already using the FCAN so 1 side is basically done. Now you have to address the SRS unit side.
In 07 Honda re-programmed the SRS unit to send the airbag light signal on the FCAN bus rather than the single dedicated wire that I mentioned above.
So, you need a new SRS unit for 07/08 and that will force you to buy an 07/08 compatible OPDS / ODS unit that is inserted into the left arm of the passenger seat.
There are 2 or 3 pinouts that changed for that FCAN connection on the SRS unit. So you are going to have fun with that.
And the new OPDS/ODS unit in the passenger seat has different style connectors that plug into the seat.. So you are going to have to splice what you can (seat warmers) and get a new plug that connects the seat into the harness on the floor. Acura sells it.
Then after you make all the connections, the new SRS unit and the OPDS/ODS units will have to be initialized to work together (UNLESS, you get them both from the same used car)
But be careful to not buy the SRS unit or the OPDS/ODS unit from a WRECKED used car because it will likely have a code in it.. And at a minimum, that code will have to be cleared with a HDS tool. But some of those codes in a SRS unit are hard codes.. And they cannot be erased. But will it still allow the Airbag light to go off? I do not know for sure. But it is best to stay away from wrecked cars when it comes to buying a SRS unit. I think there is a manual way to clear those srs unit codes. Like a yellow wire that is in the MICU / fuse box area at the footwell.
To tap into the FCAN, you can connect to the existing FCAN that is already running into the Speedometer. Just tap the wires. And that will be run to the new SRS unit. Make sure to not reverse the HIgh and Low FCAN wires.. The VSA is on the FCAN too, and if you reverse polarity on that bus, the VSA will freak out by illuminating. So it will be obvious if that happens. But no permanent damage.
So lots to do! Lots of TWEEZER work

Honda saved 1 wire about 10 feet long by doing all this..
There were a lot of changes from 05 to 07 than what meets the eye..

The following users liked this post:
Acura TL Builder (10-05-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 07:05 PM
Intermediate

Thanks man your so knowledgeable
Old 10-05-2022, 10:40 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
I morphed my '04 into an '07/8. I can still do 0-60 in just under 6 seconds with the original engine,

Last edited by DMZ; 10-05-2022 at 10:43 AM.