05 base TL morphed to 08 TL type S - Page 2 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

05 base TL morphed to 08 TL type S

Old 08-13-2018, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Funmonkey View Post
I have been looking everywhere for some forged 9:1 pistons for this J35. I canít find any pistons for the J35 at all, do you all know of any company that sells them? Iíve reached out to a company called CP-Carrillo that said they can custom make them but need a sample piston from said motor. I donít have any yet, yíall have any recommendations on this?
You may be overthinking this a bit; have you considered using stock pistons and the (shorter) rods from the 3.7 liter J37 motor (assuming they'll fit)?
Old 08-13-2018, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by horseshoez View Post
You may be overthinking this a bit; have you considered using stock pistons and the (shorter) rods from the 3.7 liter J37 motor (assuming they'll fit)?
youíre right on the over thinking part for sure. I read that my motor has forged crank and rods but the pistons were the weak point (correct me if Iím wrong). Will the stock pistons be able to take a turbo With approximately 10 pounds of boost? Will the shorter rods give me the compression Iím looking for? What about performance?
Old 08-13-2018, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

youíre right on the over thinking part for sure. I read that my motor has forged crank and rods but the pistons were the weak point (correct me if Iím wrong). Will the stock pistons be able to take a turbo With approximately 10 pounds of boost? Will the shorter rods give me the compression Iím looking for? What about performance?
I haven't done the math so I don't know what the J37 rods (which are something like 1.5mm shorter than the J35 rods) will yield in compression, but I'm sure it will be in the ball park. With 10PSI you're unlikely to develop much more than 450-480 hp (a rough gut calculation), and everything I've read says the internals of pretty much all J-Series engines should easily be able to take that much power.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by horseshoez View Post
I haven't done the math so I don't know what the J37 rods (which are something like 1.5mm shorter than the J35 rods) will yield in compression, but I'm sure it will be in the ball park. With 10PSI you're unlikely to develop much more than 450-480 hp (a rough gut calculation), and everything I've read says the internals of pretty much all J-Series engines should easily be able to take that much power.
I was planning on retaining the stock crank and rods when my motor gets rebuilt, Iíll probably retain the pistons too to save money on this build. Thatís also the hp range I was going for too, thanks for your help.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

This will be my first turbo build and Iím mainly looking for any direction from you all on turbo brands, models and options. I have looked at so many and canít decide what to go with and wondering what you guys run. Iím looking for 300 to 600 hp, least amount of turbo lag, rpm range 5k to 8k power band. So far I'm looking at a precision turbo 55mm size, what do you think of this one? My heads are full port and polish, stage 2 cams, 3.7L intake and throttle, rebuilt rotating assembly with 9 or 10:1 compression. Iím looking for people that have done this kind of thing before and can recommend a good turbo, thank you.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:50 AM
Registered Member

We use Borg Warner with zero issues. 300-600hp though? Just a little gap for your end goals hahaha The turbo and headers are the easiest thing to deal with, you need to start thinking about all the other mods youll have to do in order to make that power semi-reliably.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:43 AM

Thanked 13,690 Times in 10,156 Posts
Originally Posted by 90foxnotch View Post
We use Borg Warner with zero issues. 300-600hp though? Just a little gap for your end goals hahaha The turbo and headers are the easiest thing to deal with, you need to start thinking about all the other mods youll have to do in order to make that power semi-reliably.
the auto trans shredded at like 350hp...
the 6MT fared a little better but still shredded past the 400hp mark

Good luck, OP! you'll need it
Old 09-14-2018, 09:10 AM
Late to the 3G Party

I was planning on retaining the stock crank and rods when my motor gets rebuilt, Iíll probably retain the pistons too to save money on this build. Thatís also the hp range I was going for too, thanks for your help.
stock rods won't be sufficient for the max power goal you're shooting for and the Pistons most likely won't be either. After about 10 psi you need to begin worrying about valve float, so will have to upgrade springs retainers as well.

FYI, if you're looking to take shortcuts to save money, this project is not for you.