Depth of audio weak ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 06:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Depth of audio weak ?

2023 A-Spec.
no matter what I do with my settings, there is very little bass at low-mid volumes. It sounds like a cheapo radio. Any suggestions that don't include upgrading the whole system.
Salesman said it had 2x 5" woofers. Really?
Old 02-08-2024, 12:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
From my 3 years of listening in a 2021 TLX Advance & 2023 TLX S, the audio overall sounds good when you feed a decent source audio, but lacks dynamics. New music that's mastered well sounds good with bass at almost any volume, but if you try to play older music, for example classic rock, the audio will sound tiny and kinda harsh IMO. The sound settings does not have enough control to tweak the correct frequencies, and the system is not tuned to play the lower frequencies(20-36hz). I have my sound settings as Treble +2, Mid 0 & Bass +1, for the music I listen to it works. IMO an aftermarket sub is required if you want to get sub bass in the 20-36hz as it's pretty much non-existent as is. I am planning to add a single 12" sub with a ported box tuned to ~ 28hz to fill out the low end.
The following users liked this post:
Millcreekdr (02-08-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 11:09 AM
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrvtecaccord
From my 3 years of listening in a 2021 TLX Advance & 2023 TLX S, the audio overall sounds good when you feed a decent source audio, but lacks dynamics. New music that's mastered well sounds good with bass at almost any volume, but if you try to play older music, for example classic rock, the audio will sound tiny and kinda harsh IMO. The sound settings does not have enough control to tweak the correct frequencies, and the system is not tuned to play the lower frequencies(20-36hz). I have my sound settings as Treble +2, Mid 0 & Bass +1, for the music I listen to it works. IMO an aftermarket sub is required if you want to get sub bass in the 20-36hz as it's pretty much non-existent as is. I am planning to add a single 12" sub with a ported box tuned to ~ 28hz to fill out the low end.
Depends on the classic rock. If the artist's back catalog has been remastered in the last 10-15 years or so, Apple Music for one will typically play the remastered audio, which, if the remastering was done properly - sounds fantastic on the ELS system. Remember too, that classic rock was never produced to sound all that bass-heavy to begin with. It needed to sound good coming out of car radio speakers in the 60's/70's which were hardly high-end audio. I was listening to some Steve Miller Band recently (Fly Like an Eagle and Book of Dreams albums) and both, on the ELS system, sounded like they were recorded yesterday, bright and crisp with just enough low-end oomph. Turn 'em up to 11!
Old 02-13-2024, 10:56 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Flapjackura
Depends on the classic rock. If the artist's back catalog has been remastered in the last 10-15 years or so, Apple Music for one will typically play the remastered audio, which, if the remastering was done properly - sounds fantastic on the ELS system. Remember too, that classic rock was never produced to sound all that bass-heavy to begin with. It needed to sound good coming out of car radio speakers in the 60's/70's which were hardly high-end audio. I was listening to some Steve Miller Band recently (Fly Like an Eagle and Book of Dreams albums) and both, on the ELS system, sounded like they were recorded yesterday, bright and crisp with just enough low-end oomph. Turn 'em up to 11!
Agreed, the quality of audio source has a lot to do with how it will sound.

Although the lack of low end bass is still valid in the current ELS system, trying playing some test tracks from 20hz to 60hz and you can hear where the system cannot reproduce the lower notes. Older ELS systems with the 8" sub handled the lower notes better, but the tunning was far too harsh IMO. The current ELS tunning is much better, but lacks low end.
Millcreekdr (02-15-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 10:28 AM
Racer

Agreed, the quality of audio source has a lot to do with how it will sound.

Although the lack of low end bass is still valid in the current ELS system, trying playing some test tracks from 20hz to 60hz and you can hear where the system cannot reproduce the lower notes. Older ELS systems with the 8" sub handled the lower notes better, but the tunning was far too harsh IMO. The current ELS tunning is much better, but lacks low end.
Interestingly, Savage Geese has seemed a bit lukewarm regarding the ELS system in the TLX, complaining that for their ears this is because there is too much bass!
Disclaimer: I am biased; I hate too much bass and usually scale it way down.

Last edited by Flapjackura; 02-14-2024 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-14-2024, 11:22 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
My 2023/TLX/ASPEC/AWD/ELS
When I play either of my 2 USB's, the results are infinitely
better than ITunes
It's PURE 5.1 Magic; any of my Beatles, Floyd, Eagles, & Steely Dan/Fagen
are incredibly beautiful, to my one good ear! All levels are Factory standard
Downside, is that there's no Apple Maps, Google Maps, or Waze integration
No Text incoming message sounds, from Acura Infotainment
Try it; you'll love it
Old 02-14-2024, 04:45 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Flapjackura
Interestingly, Savage Geese has seemed a bit lukewarm regarding the ELS system in the TLX, complaining that for their ears this is because there is too much bass!
Disclaimer: I am biased; I hate too much bass and usually scale it way down.
The system is tuned bass heavy in the frequencies it can produce, but actual sub bass in the lower frequencies are non existent. In his video he shows a great frequency graph and it shows what I am experiencing, the lack of volume under 40hz or so, you can see the bass heavy bump around 60hz. For those looking for true sub bass from the system you will be disappointed.

After all said, this is first car I didn't want to immediately work on improving the OEM sound system and I would consider myself a somewhat picky when it comes to audio. In prior vehicles I would quickly go aftermarket using Morel, ScanSpeak, (whatever the hotness driver on DIYMA), etc and tune to satisfy my taste.
Old 02-19-2024, 12:16 PM
Racer

The system is tuned bass heavy in the frequencies it can produce, but actual sub bass in the lower frequencies are non existent. In his video he shows a great frequency graph and it shows what I am experiencing, the lack of volume under 40hz or so, you can see the bass heavy bump around 60hz. For those looking for true sub bass from the system you will be disappointed.

After all said, this is first car I didn't want to immediately work on improving the OEM sound system and I would consider myself a somewhat picky when it comes to audio. In prior vehicles I would quickly go aftermarket using Morel, ScanSpeak, (whatever the hotness driver on DIYMA), etc and tune to satisfy my taste.
I've had more than a few of my passengers comment that the sound system isn't sounding all that special to them. Usually when I have passengers I have the volume turned way down. You're correct, at low volumes, the system isn't that special. Then I crank it up, and the reaction typically, is, 'Wow!" followed quickly by "OK, I'm suitably impressed. Now turn it down". Most of my passengers don't share my musical tastes. Everyone's tastes are different, and so are their ears and what sounds pleasing to them. For me, it's the best sound system I've ever had in a car. When I'm alone in the car and free to indulge, it sounds glorious.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flapjackura:
DLM1213 (02-19-2024), PRP5150 (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 07:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My VW Passat TDI SEL Premium has an entire Fender audio system. It sounds awesome at all volumes. I miss that range of greatness.
but I agree, the TLX sounds better at high volumes.
Old 02-20-2024, 04:46 PM
Instructor

Received 334 Likes on 117 Posts
Yeah the ELS 3D has some weakness, I always found the clarity and musicalness pretty decent even with Spotify on its highest setting but the bass was a bit disappointing as it sounded a little hollow and kinda made the front woofers sound like they were clapping a bit. I added 2 12's wired in pre-amp with a high end LOC and now it's a banger. I turned the bass down a bit from the head unit to give the front woofers less to do and let the 12's make up for it and it's the best system I've ever had now.
Old 02-21-2024, 09:07 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have some experience (not pro) tuning a home theater. What makes it sound great, etc. When speakers are "in phase", which should not be hard in car since the positioning can't change, the sound across the whole system, at all volumes, is amazing. Bass should "roll off" and be in sync with the rest of the sound. When you get vibration and/or distortion, it's not going to sound like it's supposed to. Done correctly, the experience is amazing. Equipment is not the only factor obviously. I have remastered albums that sound much better in the car because the bass is tighter and doesn't cause as much distortion as the previous release. This lets me apply amplitude without causing vibration or unwanted distortion. I use Apple Music almost exclusively now and when I'm not happy with how something sounds, I go looking for a remaster first. I then look to see if the artist mastered it in ATMOS (originally, not old stuff that is changed to ATMOS with the algorithm). IF it is ATMOS then I have to try with it on and off to see what sounds best. Otherwise, turning off the ATMOS (then you have to redownload, if you do that), helps the sound.

At least this is true for what I listen to - hard rock (VH, GNR, SLASH, etc). Other types of music with higher freq harmonies - I've heard some OK atmos stuff. Just going for shaking your neighborhood or "wow that's a lot of bass" is not going to get you good sound.

Flapjackura (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 11:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by adamhodge
I have some experience (not pro) tuning a home theater. What makes it sound great, etc. When speakers are "in phase", which should not be hard in car since the positioning can't change, the sound across the whole system, at all volumes, is amazing. Bass should "roll off" and be in sync with the rest of the sound. When you get vibration and/or distortion, it's not going to sound like it's supposed to. Done correctly, the experience is amazing. Equipment is not the only factor obviously. I have remastered albums that sound much better in the car because the bass is tighter and doesn't cause as much distortion as the previous release. This lets me apply amplitude without causing vibration or unwanted distortion. I use Apple Music almost exclusively now and when I'm not happy with how something sounds, I go looking for a remaster first. I then look to see if the artist mastered it in ATMOS (originally, not old stuff that is changed to ATMOS with the algorithm). IF it is ATMOS then I have to try with it on and off to see what sounds best. Otherwise, turning off the ATMOS (then you have to redownload, if you do that), helps the sound.

At least this is true for what I listen to - hard rock (VH, GNR, SLASH, etc). Other types of music with higher freq harmonies - I've heard some OK atmos stuff. Just going for shaking your neighborhood or "wow that's a lot of bass" is not going to get you good sound.
No amount of ELS 17-speakery goodness can overcome poor or indifferent mastering, the source is key in many cases with classic rock. A lot of legacy artists (a good example would be Yes) catalogs were basically flat transferred from not necessarily original tapes to CD in the 80's. Those early Yes CDs sounded thin and almost completely lacking in low end. Much later their back catalogue received a thorough mastering overhaul that brought out the low end from the original tapes, but that low end was never overpowering to begin with. Crank up a tune like Yours Is No Disgrace from a lossless source in a TLX with ELS and if it's from the latest mastering, it will sound very good - with just enough low-end thump - but not overwhelmingly so. I like to describe the sound from the ELS as "rich" - like an aural hot fudge sundae.