Who Has Actually Purchased a Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 12:59 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
Yeah, the exterior styling is so similar to my A-Spec that I definitely don't see any tangible size difference. I can't imagine the tiny spoiler in the back or the front treatments give that much illusion of being bigger than the Base/Tech/Advance trims.
I said i was so used to thinking of the first gen TLX, that's what I meant to say when I said non-Type S.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:18 PM
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by tasdisr
Thanks! I was up there about a week ago looking at the TLX and RDX. We have purchased four cars there, two TL’s, a RSX and a RL.
Considering getting rid of the Jeep and going back to an Acura.
We still have our 2003 RSX!!
The following 3 users liked this post by Ghostof TypeS Past:
Legend2TL (07-16-2021), tasdisr (07-16-2021), WTF.Acura (07-17-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ghostof TypeS Past
We still have our 2003 RSX!!
I wish I would have bought the RSX from our son when he sold it to get a Honda Ridgeline!
Hoping to go test drive the TLX , the type S and the RDX soon.
Old 07-16-2021, 04:07 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 540 Likes on 276 Posts
Seeing that Blue Type S is making me envious.

I put a deposit down on my Type S way before the orders were able to be put in and my dealer put the order in as soon as they were able to. Blue w/ red and performance tire package. Can't wait.

Test drove the Type S the other day and it was a thing of beauty. No regrets -- just waiting for that call!
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-17-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 05:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
Seeing that Blue Type S is making me envious.

I put a deposit down on my Type S way before the orders were able to be put in and my dealer put the order in as soon as they were able to. Blue w/ red and performance tire package. Can't wait.

Test drove the Type S the other day and it was a thing of beauty. No regrets -- just waiting for that call!
What state? That’s super annoying you had first deposit and your dealer still doesn’t have the car? Keep us updated.
Old 07-16-2021, 06:05 PM
AZ Community Team

What state? That’s super annoying you had first deposit and your dealer still doesn’t have the car? Keep us updated.
If I'm not #1 I am definitely in the top 3.

I put my deposit down before the orders went live and started being advertised in the USA.

My dealership hasn't had a single Type S come through their doors as far as I know. Well, except for the beautiful white with red interior demo unit that is.

But the salesman, who sold me my current car and has been helpful throughout the process, is just waiting for information regarding shipment and ETA's. This chip shortage is certainly uncharted territory but I'm trying to get this done while my car is worth maximum value. I'm currently driving a 2019 TLX ASPEC SH-AWD with only 12,600 miles on it. It's on a lease that ends in March of 2022 but the value far exceeds my lease buyout so I'm using it as a trade-in chip.

I'm in Illinois.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:03 PM
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 143 Posts

I put my deposit down before the orders went live and started being advertised in the USA.

My dealership hasn't had a single Type S come through their doors as far as I know. Well, except for the beautiful white with red interior demo unit that is.

But the salesman, who sold me my current car and has been helpful throughout the process, is just waiting for information regarding shipment and ETA's. This chip shortage is certainly uncharted territory but I'm trying to get this done while my car is worth maximum value. I'm currently driving a 2019 TLX ASPEC SH-AWD with only 12,600 miles on it. It's on a lease that ends in March of 2022 but the value far exceeds my lease buyout so I'm using it as a trade-in chip.

I'm in Illinois.
I put a $500 deposit (refundable) with my local dealer back in May on the day when the pricing was announced. First deposit they had for the car. That dealer still has no idea when they'll get what I'm looking for. They only get what Acura sends them. So they'll call and tell me what's coming in and ask if I'm interested. They said ordering specific cars will likely be possible later this year.

That's why I recently reached out to other dealers and found one a few hours away that has one coming in next month in the color combo I'm looking for. If I was leasing or only keeping for a few years, I wouldn't care so much about the color, but I like to keep my cars for @ 10 years. And the apex blue pearl is amazing!
Old 07-16-2021, 09:57 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Camaro194
I put a $500 deposit (refundable) with my local dealer back in May on the day when the pricing was announced. First deposit they had for the car. That dealer still has no idea when they'll get what I'm looking for. They only get what Acura sends them. So they'll call and tell me what's coming in and ask if I'm interested. They said ordering specific cars will likely be possible later this year.

That's why I recently reached out to other dealers and found one a few hours away that has one coming in next month in the color combo I'm looking for. If I was leasing or only keeping for a few years, I wouldn't care so much about the color, but I like to keep my cars for @ 10 years. And the apex blue pearl is amazing!
yeah, that’s how I understand it too.

My dealer feels pretty confident that I’ll be able to get it as I want it. Obviously Acura has made so many of each color but I almost wonder if this has sort of changed due to the chip shortage. Many of them aren’t even made yet (I’d assume) and they could theoretically make them for what people want.

We shall see. I’m hoping for blue with red. I’d be okay with black or orchard interior too. So I’m not overly picky there. But blue exterior is something I’ve always wanted and this time out I’m pushing for it.

If I have to wait a few months I guess it’s not the end of the world. My license plate is good until March so I’m technically saving money by not wasting the yearly registration, lol. But I’d rather have it sooner rather than later.

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 07-16-2021 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-16-2021, 10:30 PM
Instructor

My dealer wouldn’t take deposit until May 23rd or whenever pricing went live that Sunday. Said it was an accounting nightmare and they can’t allocate money if they don’t have a VIN.

That dealer still has no idea when they'll get what I'm looking for. They only get what Acura sends them.
if it’s the same one, my dealer said only 300 Type S will be delivered outside demo models but also may have hinted that only 500 units of 2022.. who knows…
Old 07-16-2021, 10:57 PM
AZ Community Team

My dealer wouldn’t take deposit until May 23rd or whenever pricing went live that Sunday. Said it was an accounting nightmare and they can’t allocate money if they don’t have a VIN.

if it’s the same one, my dealer said only 300 Type S will be delivered outside demo models but also may have hinted that only 500 units of 2022.. who knows…
I meant before my dealer started advertising it. Their website had no mentions of it nor did their business inside or out. I just randomly messaged the same salesman who sold me my 2019 ASPEC and asked if I could get on a list and he said yes but I’d need to put down $1000. I got my order in on May 26th. He told me most people wanted to test drive it prior to putting a deposit.

I am becoming impatient because I really want this car. I’m sure I’ll get it but once my minds set on it I can’t let it go. 😣
Old 07-17-2021, 08:18 PM
Instructor

I asked my dealer about this to see if I could get any info for you guys - this is just here say but supposedly there’s 1 coming in next month (has a deposit on it) and they’re only getting three 2022 models in September/October and that’s it. No color choice available - you get what you get. No word on any additional builds coming down the line.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:29 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts

I’m not buying that the Type S will be produced in limited quantities for 2022. The sales slides presented at the introduction of the TLX showed that Acura was targeting about 30% of TLX sales for the Type S. Their overall TLX goal was 35,000 units. 30% of that number would be about 10,000 cars. They simply won’t be able to recoup development cost for that engine with limited production. I might be wrong, but my take is that the Type S is more the six cylinder version of the Aspec than it is a niche offering.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:42 PM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda430
I’m not buying that the Type S will be produced in limited quantities for 2022. The sales slides presented at the introduction of the TLX showed that Acura was targeting about 30% of TLX sales for the Type S. Their overall TLX goal was 35,000 units. 30% of that number would be about 10,000 cars. They simply won’t be able to recoup development cost for that engine with limited production. I might be wrong, but my take is that the Type S is more the six cylinder version of the Aspec than it is a niche offering.
We already know they're planning 2000 units of the 2021 MY and considering that's about 3 months worth of production time left they're going to be pumping these things out for 2022 MY.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
There's no reason they would limit the production of this for 2022. They need to get as many of these onto the street as possible to add more legitimacy and credibility to the brand. When people see a lot of a particular car on the street, they tend to think it's good because if it wasn't good not that many people would have bought it.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:08 PM
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
There's no reason they would limit the production of this for 2022.
I do not understand why Acura should "limit" the production of the Type S anyway...it's not that special where Hyundai, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Dodge etc...will crank out as many G70, M340i, S4, C43 AMG, Scat Pack etc...the market will bear...
Old 07-17-2021, 10:18 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
There's no reason they would limit the production of this for 2022. They need to get as many of these onto the street as possible to add more legitimacy and credibility to the brand. When people see a lot of a particular car on the street, they tend to think it's good because if it wasn't good not that many people would have bought it.
In the beginning, I also thought that there was no reason why they would limit the production rate for the TLX Type-S. But after Acura Canada announced that they only make 250 copies of 2021 TLX Type-S in Canada, and that my local dealership told me that there would also be only 250 copies for the 2022 model year, I started to believe that Acura has every reason to do so, such as to artificially sustain the MSRP as the non-negotiable selling price, to artificially create a high demand situation (due to very low supply), and to keep hyping up the Type-S product image due to exclusive ownership, etc, etc.

Ghostof TypeS Past (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 10:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
In the beginning, I also thought that there was no reason why they would limit the production rate for the TLX Type-S. But after Acura Canada announced that they only make 250 copies of 2021 TLX Type-S in Canada, and that my local dealership told me that there would also be only 250 copies for the 2022 model year, I started to believe that Acura has every reason to do so, such as to artificially sustain the MSRP as the non-negotiable selling price, to artificially create a high demand situation (due to very low supply), and to keep hyping up the Type-S product image due to exclusive ownership, etc, etc.
If that's the case, then Acura deserves all the finger pointing and being laughed it. If the Type-S had the same performance as an S4, then sure I can see it as a sorta valid selling technique. But not with the C&D stats now available. Not to mention the M340i being much easier to order.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:48 PM
AZ Community Team

I asked my dealer about this to see if I could get any info for you guys - this is just here say but supposedly there’s 1 coming in next month (has a deposit on it) and they’re only getting three 2022 models in September/October and that’s it. No color choice available - you get what you get. No word on any additional builds coming down the line.
I certainly hope not.

I have wanted a blue ACURA for years but never could get it. And the Type S is the only car I want. The ASPEC styling and performance leaves too much to be desired.

We shall see what happens though. Currently there are only Steel Metallics anywhere near me or on the way but none to my dealer. Don’t mind that color but I already had an ASPEC in that. I’m ready for blue.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:05 PM
Instructor

Seriously Can we have a thread where somebody doesn’t bring up the s4…

This is the car we want. “It is what it is.” We’ve looked at tons of cars and we put our money on the design and single turbo motor. “It is what it is.”

Personally I like the exclusivity of having one of few. When I started seeing the numbers on the Civic Type R go up, it kind of ruins it. “They made 40,000 of these!! Now they’re $50,000!!”

I walked 30 feet to the Genesis dealer and they had a Launch Edition G70. One of 500 units. It’s still sitting there after 2 months.

They should have lied to me like the Acura dealer and told me they had 6 other people with deposits on it… get the call the day the car is delivered and it’s mine…

Only one more Type S coming in and @Camaro194 has a deposit on it. Demand? Eh maybe no. Still tired of hearing “We could be charging $10k markup like the other dealers”

I heard first hand this is a limited run although it’s rumored to be a mass production. My connect at the Marysville plant won’t comment on it.

For the ones that chose Type S over the S4, 340i, Panamera, Tesla, Scat Pack Charger, C8 Corvette, 2013 BMW 650xi Grande Coupe, the 2003 RSX with a J swap, the totaled lambo off of copart….

Let’s stick together and keep sharing good info and help those that haven’t had their Type S delivered obtain solid information so they can join the “Who has actually purchased a Type-S” thread!!!
The following 5 users liked this post by Ghostof TypeS Past:
a35tl (07-18-2021), jhb31 (07-17-2021), Legend2TL (07-19-2021), TypeSDreams (07-18-2021), WTF.Acura (07-18-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 11:15 PM
Instructor

artificially create a high demand situation
Exactly…. I got sucked into this. Still wondering why this is the only car I couldn’t snag invoice price and paid $1,600 for the Y spokes on top of MSRP… I gave what they asked but still, it was a take it or leave it with the dealer.. I’m the first delivered in my region and put deposit down three weeks ago… where’s the demand??? I should have been snaked by somebody that is a long time customer of a dealer. Like straight taken out from under me…

I could have just bought the RS7 for $160k and called it a day.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Was hoping this thread would just be I got one & nothing more.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
Plenty of other threads for that. Would actually like to hear some "owners" thoughts on the car since a number of members have had a chance to drive them around for a while now. Having had a 3rd gen type S (maybe I am wrong but you had a pic of what looked like a 07.08 type S) for a long time you most likely have some good perspective on the past vs present having seat time in both or maybe a separate thread is more appropriate to start up.

Last edited by jhb31; 07-17-2021 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:33 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
One of the local dealers has two Type S sitting in their show room with $10k markup. If there was real demand at that level the cars wouldn’t be sitting there. They’re hoping to snag sucker. My guess is that they’re still going to be trying to move those units two months from now.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:17 AM
6G TLX-S

Exactly…. I got sucked into this. Still wondering why this is the only car I couldn’t snag invoice price and paid $1,600 for the Y spokes on top of MSRP… I gave what they asked but still, it was a take it or leave it with the dealer.. I’m the first delivered in my region and put deposit down three weeks ago… where’s the demand??? I should have been snaked by somebody that is a long time customer of a dealer. Like straight taken out from under me…

I could have just bought the RS7 for $160k and called it a day.
Don't feel bad. In fact, you should be happy because you are among the first few lucky guys who can drive a TLX Type-S home. Read the other Type-S threads, and you will see that there are many others who are still waiting for their cars to come out from the factories, and can't get their hands on their choice even if they were willing to pay above MSRP at this very moment. There are simply not enough Type-S cars to go around.

You should have received enough complements and head-turning situations where ever you go in your Type-S to make your early purchase more than worthwhile.

The following 3 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
BBRL (07-20-2021), Ghostof TypeS Past (07-18-2021), WTF.Acura (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 08:59 AM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
I really doubt that. Supply is messed up on new cars right now. There are many dealers starving for cars with empty lots. The big 3 are way behind on production and supply will not stabilize for some time.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:03 AM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
I meant before my dealer started advertising it. Their website had no mentions of it nor did their business inside or out. I just randomly messaged the same salesman who sold me my 2019 ASPEC and asked if I could get on a list and he said yes but I’d need to put down $1000. I got my order in on May 26th. He told me most people wanted to test drive it prior to putting a deposit.

I am becoming impatient because I really want this car. I’m sure I’ll get it but once my minds set on it I can’t let it go. 😣
First allocation dealers got what Acura sent them. They had no say on trims/colours.... Have they not received their first batch to date?
Old 07-18-2021, 11:39 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by dmski
First allocation dealers got what Acura sent them. They had no say on trims/colours.... Have they not received their first batch to date?
Nope, just their demo unit which was Pearl White with Red interior.

At least from what two salesman have told me so far.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:11 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by dmski
I have a feeling that, for the first batch, some big dealerships are getting more cars, but the rest aren't getting any other than the demo unit.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:50 PM
AZ Community Team

I have a feeling that, for the first batch, some big dealerships are getting more cars, but the rest aren't getting any other than the demo unit.
Advantage Acura is a larger dealership but I wonder if something changed because they used to be Continental Acura until recently. But I doubt it as their clientele is basically the same.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:51 PM
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 143 Posts
Yes, that is likely the case. If you remember this from a few months ago, dealers will get allotments based on their sales volume:

Edward'TLS (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 12:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Yes, that is likely the case. If you remember this from a few months ago, dealers will get allotments based on their sales volume:

This actually makes a lot of sense.
I was told that it would be about 6-8 weeks from another salesman a few weeks ago so time frame holds up.

I'm okay with that. My license plate renewal was in March so the longer I go the less money I wasted as I'm not transferring my plates.

Edit: I find it interesting that certain color combinations don't offer the ability to add performance tires and wheels from the factory.

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 07-18-2021 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:03 PM
8th Gear

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the car we want. “It is what it is.” We’ve looked at tons of cars and we put our money on the design and single turbo motor. “It is what it is.”

Personally I like the exclusivity of having one of few. When I started seeing the numbers on the Civic Type R go up, it kind of ruins it. “They made 40,000 of these!! Now they’re $50,000!!”

I walked 30 feet to the Genesis dealer and they had a Launch Edition G70. One of 500 units. It’s still sitting there after 2 months.

They should have lied to me like the Acura dealer and told me they had 6 other people with deposits on it… get the call the day the car is delivered and it’s mine…

Only one more Type S coming in and @Camaro194 has a deposit on it. Demand? Eh maybe no. Still tired of hearing “We could be charging $10k markup like the other dealers”

I heard first hand this is a limited run although it’s rumored to be a mass production. My connect at the Marysville plant won’t comment on it.

For the ones that chose Type S over the S4, 340i, Panamera, Tesla, Scat Pack Charger, C8 Corvette, 2013 BMW 650xi Grande Coupe, the 2003 RSX with a J swap, the totaled lambo off of copart….

Let’s stick together and keep sharing good info and help those that haven’t had their Type S delivered obtain solid information so they can join the “Who has actually purchased a Type-S” thread!!!
Thank you. I am new here and hoping to become an official owner soon. I have noticed a huge amount of negativity towards anything related to this car, not just on YouTube lol, but surprisingly, on here. I am not sure if this forum has always been like this? Support for this brand and anything related to it is lacking. Most of the comments on these Type S post are made by people that have little to no interest in this specific model or Acura’s imo. I have seen the S4/M340i addressed so many times; had me wondering if this is an Acura forum or just a general sports sedan forum. I haven’t been on a car forum since I owned my S2000 and hope to see a better sense of community soon.
The following 4 users liked this post by TypeSDreams:
a35tl (07-18-2021), Ghostof TypeS Past (07-19-2021), one4all (07-19-2021), WTF.Acura (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 01:08 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by TypeSDreams
Thank you. I am new here and hoping to become an official owner soon. I have noticed a huge amount of negativity towards anything related to this car, not just on YouTube lol, but surprisingly, on here. I am not sure if this forum has always been like this? Support for this brand and anything related to it is lacking. Most of the comments on these Type S post are made by people that have little to no interest in this specific model or Acura’s imo. I have seen the S4/M340i addressed so many times; had me wondering if this is an Acura forum or just a general sports sedan forum. I haven’t been on a car forum since I owned my S2000 and hope to see a better sense of community soon.
This is what the internet is now a days.

There are those passionate about the Acura brand and expect the Type S to be something that it's not.

There are trolls.

I fall into the category of someone who has loved his Acura's since I purchased a 2012 RDX. I had found some paint flaws so I swapped it for a 2012 TSX which I kept for 7 years until I traded it in for a 2019 TLX ASPEC SH-AWD. I love this car but the plan was always to upgrade to the new ASPEC but once the Type S was shown off that quickly changed and I ordered a Type S.

In the end I am someone who will stick with Acura unless they give me reason not to. That would be terrible car design and/or reliability issues.
The following 3 users liked this post by KrylonBlue:
BBRL (07-18-2021), TypeSDreams (07-18-2021), WTF.Acura (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts
Arrow Enjoying my Type S immensely!

I certainly hope not.

I have wanted a blue ACURA for years but never could get it. And the Type S is the only car I want. The ASPEC styling and performance leaves too much to be desired.

We shall see what happens though. Currently there are only Steel Metallics anywhere near me or on the way but none to my dealer. Don’t mind that color but I already had an ASPEC in that. I’m ready for blue.
------------- o ----------
Stick to your wishes KrylonBlue, you will not be disappointed.
My dealer upon seeing the color combination I got, has ordered more of the same in his allotment (20).
Apex Blue/ Orchid. For seasoned drivers, pure JOY!!

Sweet Ride!
Old 07-18-2021, 02:41 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by BBRL
------------- o ----------
Stick to your wishes KrylonBlue, you will not be disappointed.
My dealer upon seeing the color combination I got, has ordered more of the same in his allotment (20).
Apex Blue/ Orchid. For seasoned drivers, pure JOY!!

Sweet Ride!
You purchased at the same dealership that does the AHC channel? ❤️

I love the Orchid interior. I really do. It was my second choice if I couldn’t get red.

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 07-18-2021 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
I think the problem is uniquely related to how Acura has "evolved" (or regressed) over the past 15 years. A lot of folks got into Acura during the 2000s, which was the brand's heyday. Not only did Acura have record sales which have not been seen since, but their cars compared very favorably to the competition. But for the past 10+ years, it seems like the brand has gone backwards, and in the process alienated a lot of their past fans. This coupled with the fact that these fans have gotten older and have more discretionary income meant that a lot of them were able to move upwards to other brands that do offer the type of product they wish Acura could give them. Unfortunately, not only has Acura not grown with these fans, but they've been giving off a vibe where they're all bark and no bite. They act like the little ankle biter dogs. Those "comparison" reviews between the TLX/RDX and the competition, the "It's That Kind of Thrill" and "Beat That" and "Less Talk More Drive" commercials, etc. have not been particularly endearing, and have made the brand an easy punching bag because of how cringeworthy those campaigns have been. We know what Honda/Acura is capable of when they try, and it just seems like they're not trying, or at least not trying in the right areas. To me, they're the super smart kid who's got what it takes to go to an Ivy League school, but dicks around and ends up going to Directional State Name University because they can't be bothered to take the path everyone wants them to take.

The salt in the wound is that parent Honda continues to churn out winners, so we know that the company is capable, but for whatever reason they can't get it together for Acura. And we see glimpses of some really excellent things, like their Sport Hybrid and SH-AWD tech, but they've yet to put everything together into one truly excellent product. Apologists keep falling back on the excuse of "well, this car is great for the price", but the problem is that these older Acura fans no longer need to buy cars just because they're a good value. They're not as price sensitive anymore, and as has been shown are clearly not afraid to pay more for more. I think we just all wish Acura would give us the option of paying more for more.

Last edited by fiatlux; 07-18-2021 at 03:42 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by fiatlux:
04WDPSeDaN (07-18-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (07-18-2021), dj5 (07-18-2021), pyrodan007 (07-18-2021), someguy11 (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 04:43 PM
8th Gear

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the problem is uniquely related to how Acura has "evolved" (or regressed) over the past 15 years. A lot of folks got into Acura during the 2000s, which was the brand's heyday. Not only did Acura have record sales which have not been seen since, but their cars compared very favorably to the competition. But for the past 10+ years, it seems like the brand has gone backwards, and in the process alienated a lot of their past fans. This coupled with the fact that these fans have gotten older and have more discretionary income meant that a lot of them were able to move upwards to other brands that do offer the type of product they wish Acura could give them. Unfortunately, not only has Acura not grown with these fans, but they've been giving off a vibe where they're all bark and no bite. They act like the little ankle biter dogs. Those "comparison" reviews between the TLX/RDX and the competition, the "It's That Kind of Thrill" and "Beat That" and "Less Talk More Drive" commercials, etc. have not been particularly endearing, and have made the brand an easy punching bag because of how cringeworthy those campaigns have been. We know what Honda/Acura is capable of when they try, and it just seems like they're not trying, or at least not trying in the right areas. To me, they're the super smart kid who's got what it takes to go to an Ivy League school, but dicks around and ends up going to Directional State Name University because they can't be bothered to take the path everyone wants them to take.

The salt in the wound is that parent Honda continues to churn out winners, so we know that the company is capable, but for whatever reason they can't get it together for Acura. And we see glimpses of some really excellent things, like their Sport Hybrid and SH-AWD tech, but they've yet to put everything together into one truly excellent product. Apologists keep falling back on the excuse of "well, this car is great for the price", but the problem is that these older Acura fans no longer need to buy cars just because they're a good value. They're not as price sensitive anymore, and as has been shown are clearly not afraid to pay more for more. I think we just all wish Acura would give us the option of paying more for more.
Now that you explained this, I really do get it. The marketing department is to blame and rightfully so. However, when you look at their products with out the glitter and glam, it’s solid. To me at least. Maybe I fall into a very small category or there might be lot more people out there like myself that see the value in value. The numbers have been thrown around and i know them, trust me. No car manufacturer is perfect be any means. I just could not see myself getting into the German/Korean brand competitors because of those factors, what I want vs what I need. Maybe some of them are personal preference and others due to financial status, but that opening in the market is where Acura laid the path out for me. Even if it’s rough lol.

If someone where to say here are the keys to the usual suspects in this category AND tell me that any future maintenance would be covered. I would less of a hard time deciding. I guess I’m just wiser now, call me old what may you lol. I’m 37, wife, kids, homeowner, blue collar. Being the fastest car out there is not that important like it used to be. I can’t speak for my 25 yr old self with a Yellow pearl Mugen’d out turbocharged s2000 lol.

IMO it’s the best looking sedan out there in a long time. It has a presence that you would have to pay at least 20k more for in the German brands. Either way I’m happy to hopefully be part of the club soon.

Majestic Black pearl/Ebony performance wheels package. Crossing my fingers everything goes well.

Last edited by TypeSDreams; 07-18-2021 at 04:55 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by TypeSDreams:
a35tl (07-18-2021), Legend2TL (07-19-2021), one4all (07-19-2021), Pens Fan (07-18-2021), someguy11 (07-18-2021), WTF.Acura (07-18-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-18-2021, 07:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Now that you explained this, I really do get it. The marketing department is to blame and rightfully so. However, when you look at their products with out the glitter and glam, it’s solid. To me at least. Maybe I fall into a very small category or there might be lot more people out there like myself that see the value in value. The numbers have been thrown around and i know them, trust me. No car manufacturer is perfect be any means. I just could not see myself getting into the German/Korean brand competitors because of those factors, what I want vs what I need. Maybe some of them are personal preference and others due to financial status, but that opening in the market is where Acura laid the path out for me. Even if it’s rough lol.

If someone where to say here are the keys to the usual suspects in this category AND tell me that any future maintenance would be covered. I would less of a hard time deciding. I guess I’m just wiser now, call me old what may you lol. I’m 37, wife, kids, homeowner, blue collar. Being the fastest car out there is not that important like it used to be. I can’t speak for my 25 yr old self with a Yellow pearl Mugen’d out turbocharged s2000 lol.

IMO it’s the best looking sedan out there in a long time. It has a presence that you would have to pay at least 20k more for in the German brands. Either way I’m happy to hopefully be part of the club soon.

Majestic Black pearl/Ebony performance wheels package. Crossing my fingers everything goes well.
Most of us on the "HATE" team have been saying this from the get go. Its a very good car poorly presented by the marketing people. The Acurazine fans pushed back & made a lot of claims before the race & magazine numbers arrive with a thud. Guys who are into cars, guilty, were really surprised that people who say they are performance car fans could not see the last weeks coming. Not much of the preamble starting with 355X4200 added up to a German killer.

In your case reads like you really see the car for what it is a very good car & a good match for you & your family, I am sure you will be happy with it. Congrats.

BTW have a thing for black cars, post some shots when you get it.

vhtran (07-19-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 07:20 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Most of us on the "HATE" team have been saying this from the get go. Its a very good car poorly presented by the marketing people. The Acurazine fans pushed back & made a lot of claims before the race & magazine numbers arrive with a thud. Guys who are into cars, guilty, were really surprised that people who say they are performance car fans could not see the last weeks coming. Not much of the preamble starting with 355X4200 added up to a German killer.

In your case reads like you really see the car for what it is a very good car & a good match for you & your family, I am sure you will be happy with it. Congrats.

BTW have a thing for black cars, post some shots when you get it.
Reasonable and good explanation.

Honestly, in my case, my 2019 TLX ASPEC SH-AWD was enough for me. Truthfully, so is the 2021 ASPEC SH-AWD. But I do enjoy more performance and love the comfort/styling of the Type S (TLX in general) so I’m purchasing the Type S.

I never expected the marketing hype to be all that accurate. I just wanted something quick and sporty feeling which this is. It’s a performance sedan with plenty of sport qualities for the open road. I’m not taking it on a track. Lots of nice cars out there. I love cars in general. But as of now I will say the TLX Type S may not be the highest performer but it definitely looks the best.
The following 2 users liked this post by KrylonBlue:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-18-2021), vhtran (07-19-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Welcome. Its an open internet car site & people will comment for & against just about anything. You can't take it seriously or personally. But to go into your question a bit. Most of the guys classified as Haters & Trolls have start dates going back into the early 2000's or before. At that time Acura was a real player both in sales & performance not the advertising creation. It was a big dog & ran with the big dogs but at a much better price. Was one of two sales leaders in the segment. Personally in 2006 I had a TL 6MT with the summer tire package & a 2004 BMW 330 6MT with the ZHP package. That gave me a lot of insight into both cars & both cars pleased me.

A lot of the "Hate" is just counter BS posting. When claims start to get bazar some feel obligated to step in. If you don't agree with the Acura PR orthodoxy & speak out you are a hater.

If this was a pure fan site it would be closed non-current owners. But its not. Its a general info site that many people looking to buy a new car will check out. Not much service to them if everybody just shook their heads like donkeys repeating the PR departments line. No car is perfect so its good for people to know the issues to make good decisions

Its a very fair operation. If I say the car is slow & too heavy a loyal fan can dispute me with their set of facts & the reader can decide if I am nutty or the fan drank too much cool aid. Hope you enjoy your time here & may it be interesting.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-18-2021 at 07:30 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
KrylonBlue (07-18-2021), someguy11 (07-19-2021), vhtran (07-19-2021)

Quick Reply: Who Has Actually Purchased a Type-S