What realistic percent off MSRP should I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 08:00 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What realistic percent off MSRP should I expect?

Considering purchasing (not leasing) a minimally optioned 2021 TLX, in Dallas Texas.
Any idea what percent off MSRP (before incentives) I should realistically be aiming for?

Thanks for any input

Old 02-07-2021, 10:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Cruiser7
Considering purchasing (not leasing) a minimally optioned 2021 TLX, in Dallas Texas.
Any idea what percent off MSRP (before incentives) I should realistically be aiming for?

Thanks for any input
It often depends on how long the (particular new) Acura you are looking at has been sitting on the lot.

My local dealer offered $2000 off MSRP, but that was 3 months ago when they had all just arrived. I ended-up buying something else, and cost was not real-high on my list of deciding factors.

Are you looking to buy a Base model or a Tech-Package 2021 TLX ? With or without SH-AWD ?

Last edited by Tesla1856; 02-07-2021 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:33 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
True car is showing the avg buyer in my area is getting about $1200 off MSRP. Off the top of my head I would aim for at least double that.

How many Acura dealers do you have in your area? Like say within a 50 mile radius? The best way to get the best deal IMO:

1) Know the exact car you want to buy. Test drive and do your due diligence and find out EXACTLY what you want.
2) Search the Acura dealers in your area (as far out as you want - the more dealers the better) to see who has the car on the lot.
3) Wait until there are a few days left in the month and email the dealers (the Internet sales person should be easy to find) with a message something like this:

"Hi - I'm planning on immediately purchasing a Blue 2021 Acura TLX FWD Tech package with black interior. I'm emailing the following dealers (list them) and will be buying from the dealer who is willing to give me the best out the door price. Please respond back with your best out the door offer (line item all fees) - thanks!"

Ideally you need at least a half dozen dealers to really make this work - don't be afraid to buy from a dealer out of your town - you can always get your car serviced locally regardless of where you buy it.

What will happen next is this - a few dealers will respond back and ask you to come in to talk to Fred, or call Fred to talk etc etc. Respond back politely but firmly that you will only be visiting the dealer to make a purchase - if they want to be in the running they will need to respond via email with their best price. A few may not respond - resend the original email and cc the sales manager. The others will respond back with a price that's usually pretty similar. Now you can respond back to the ones that were higher and tell them ABC Dealer offered $42,000 OTD - are you willing to beat that price? Rinse. Lather. Repeat until you get the price you want. Of course you may not get exactly what you want - you'll need to be reasonable but understand that timing plays a part. The last day of the month/quarter/year can really make a difference if a dealer is close to hitting their quota.

At the end you print the email and drive to the winning dealer and sign the papers. Beware they will try to work you over to buy all sorts of other addon crap - you need to be well educated and willing to tell them exactly what you're going pay for etc etc.

It's good for the dealers too - you're not wasting their time and they get a quick sale at the end of the month even if they end up taking a little less than they may have wanted. They're going to be happy.

Last edited by CheeseyPoofs McNut; 02-08-2021 at 06:36 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
ELIN (02-08-2021), Legend2TL (02-08-2021), MarcoTLX (05-06-2021), Nedmundo (05-27-2021), RamblerMDX (05-27-2021), Speed Guy (05-10-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-08-2021, 07:10 AM
Drifting

Received 1,231 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
True car is showing the avg buyer in my area is getting about $1200 off MSRP. Off the top of my head I would aim for at least double that.

How many Acura dealers do you have in your area? Like say within a 50 mile radius? The best way to get the best deal IMO:

1) Know the exact car you want to buy. Test drive and do your due diligence and find out EXACTLY what you want.
2) Search the Acura dealers in your area (as far out as you want - the more dealers the better) to see who has the car on the lot.
3) Wait until there are a few days left in the month and email the dealers (the Internet sales person should be easy to find) with a message something like this:

"Hi - I'm planning on immediately purchasing a Blue 2021 Acura TLX FWD Tech package with black interior. I'm emailing the following dealers (list them) and will be buying from the dealer who is willing to give me the best out the door price. Please respond back with your best out the door offer (line item all fees) - thanks!"

Ideally you need at least a half dozen dealers to really make this work - don't be afraid to buy from a dealer out of your town - you can always get your car serviced locally regardless of where you buy it.

What will happen next is this - a few dealers will respond back and ask you to come in to talk to Fred, or call Fred to talk etc etc. Respond back politely but firmly that you will only be visiting the dealer to make a purchase - if they want to be in the running they will need to respond via email with their best price. A few may not respond - resend the original email and cc the sales manager. The others will respond back with a price that's usually pretty similar. Now you can respond back to the ones that were higher and tell them ABC Dealer offered $42,000 OTD - are you willing to beat that price? Rinse. Lather. Repeat until you get the price you want. Of course you may not get exactly what you want - you'll need to be reasonable but understand that timing plays a part. The last day of the month/quarter/year can really make a difference if a dealer is close to hitting their quota.

At the end you print the email and drive to the winning dealer and sign the papers. Beware they will try to work you over to buy all sorts of other addon crap - you need to be well educated and willing to tell them exactly what you're going pay for etc etc.

It's good for the dealers too - you're not wasting their time and they get a quick sale at the end of the month even if they end up taking a little less than they may have wanted. They're going to be happy.
This is exactly how I car shop and consistently pay below invoice (down to the dealers competing w/each other). I got lots of grief in another thread because I didn't email the GM directly and make friends with him. Everyone has their own method so just use what works for you!

I think you should be able to get 5% off before incentives because the TLX isn't exactly flying off the shelves. I and others were able to get 9-10% off close to the debut of the car but you should be a fairly good negotiator for this to be a reality (existing customer always helps too).

Last edited by ELIN; 02-08-2021 at 07:12 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ELIN:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (02-08-2021), Legend2TL (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by ELIN
This is exactly how I car shop and consistently pay below invoice (down to the dealers competing w/each other). I got lots of grief in another thread because I didn't email the GM directly and make friends with him. Everyone has their own method so just use what works for you!

I think you should be able to get 5% off before incentives because the TLX isn't exactly flying off the shelves. I and others were able to get 9-10% off close to the debut of the car but you should be a fairly good negotiator for this to be a reality (existing customer always helps too).
I never try to work the personal relationship angle either - it's really not how I'm wired and frankly with the Internet you don't need to IMO. The thing to understand is that the management guys at dealers are professional negotiators - many of them are quite good at it - much better than I'll ever be so I'm immediately at a disadvantage if I try. Their focus is getting the most out of each deal. With the "email your best price" method you never give them the opportunity to negotiate with you.

I should note - I've also had good luck with the "my wife said I can spend up to (whatever amount is my bottom line)" method. You go to the dealer by yourself and flat out offer them that amount - telling them your wife signed off on it and it's either that or you're going down the road to the next guy. In that case they can't negotiate because it's your wife, not you, setting the price and she's not there.
The following 2 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
ELIN (02-08-2021), RamblerMDX (05-27-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 07:42 AM
Drifting

I should note - I've also had good luck with the "my wife said I can spend up to (whatever amount is my bottom line)" method. You go to the dealer by yourself and flat out offer them that amount - telling them your wife signed off on it and it's either that or you're going down the road to the next guy. In that case they can't negotiate because it's your wife, not you, setting the price and she's not there.
That's another way to frame a car deal!

Another strategy (that may not work anymore) is telling the dealer, "Why won't you let me buy this car?!!!" It frames the dealer as the reason why the transaction is failing.
The following users liked this post:
pyrodan007 (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 10:51 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I got 11.5% ($5494) off of the 21 TLX I bought on January 30th.
The following 3 users liked this post by tonto340:
a35tl (02-08-2021), CheeseyPoofs McNut (02-08-2021), ELIN (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 10:54 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,079 Likes on 2,530 Posts
Alot of very good negotiating strategies and tactics listed above.

The last 5-6 new vehicles I've purchased or help other people purchase used email for the vast majority of communications. Occasionally made a few phone calls, when it was more efficient than email for details or back and forth logistics. But be clear on what is expected for the negotiated price (vehicle, sales tax, title fees, plates, any documentation fees,....). Also agree, I do not befriend the sales people. it's just a business transaction and not starting a long term business relationship. I only go to the dealership for recalls or things I can't do (ie mount/balance tires and align suspension).

Guessing most (?) dealerships have internet sales personnel now.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 02-08-2021 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:02 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by tonto340
I got 11.5% ($5494) off of the 21 TLX I bought on January 30th.
What incentives are included in that 11.5%?
Old 02-08-2021, 11:09 AM
Instructor

I don't know what you mean by incentives. It was 11.5 % taken off the price of the car ($47,775) plus I got 1.9% financing. I added the heated steering wheel.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:20 AM
Drifting

I don't know what you mean by incentives. It was 11.5 % taken off the price of the car ($47,775) plus I got 1.9% financing. I added the heated steering wheel.
Did you get any of the following:

Acura loyalty/conquest rebate
Military Service discount
New Grad discount

The 11.5% doesn't include a trade-in, right?
Old 02-08-2021, 11:25 AM
Instructor

I did get the military discount but it was on top of the 11.5%. The 11.5% was negotiated before the subject of trade-in was brought up.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:40 AM
Drifting

I did get the military discount but it was on top of the 11.5%. The 11.5% was negotiated before the subject of trade-in was brought up.
Good job on the deal. Apex Blue was my first choice but I didn't want to wait 2 weeks.

I read your thread where you made the deal and was amused the dealer didn't want you to put any money down. I guess your $4k trade-in was a downpayment and any additional cash would have hurt their bottom line.

Feel free to post in the owner's thread if you have any insight or would like to read other owners' experiences.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:55 AM
Instructor

There are numerous TLXs painted Apex Blue in the DC area. I initially wanted the Apex Blue with the red interior but decided against it.
ELIN (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 12:07 PM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
Good job on the deal. Apex Blue was my first choice but I didn't want to wait 2 weeks.

I read your thread where you made the deal and was amused the dealer didn't want you to put any money down. I guess your $4k trade-in was a downpayment and any additional cash would have hurt their bottom line.

Feel free to post in the owner's thread if you have any insight or would like to read other owners' experiences.

I was wondering about whether or not to offer a cash deal with the dealer but since they make money off financing, they may not come off the price. But... If I was to put down a minimal amount and finance, would they be more flexible on the sales price? If so I could strike that "financed" deal and pay it off in full the next month, provided there's no penalty for early payoff. Anyone ever done that?

Old 02-08-2021, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by cnst
I was wondering about whether or not to offer a cash deal with the dealer but since they make money off financing, they may not come off the price. But... If I was to put down a minimal amount and finance, would they be more flexible on the sales price? If so I could strike that "financed" deal and pay it off in full the next month, provided there's no penalty for early payoff. Anyone ever done that?
You can absolutely negotiate where you finance as part of the deal - it's a revenue stream for them.

Never tell them you're going to pay cash - it's the worst thing. Go ahead and finance then simply pay it off right away - that's what I did with my current TLX. Just make sure there are no early pay off fees or any crap like that.
The following 3 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
a35tl (02-08-2021), cnst (02-08-2021), ELIN (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 12:30 PM
Instructor

I had a blank check when I went to the dealership but had to finance through Acura Finance if I wanted the $750 Military discount. But like said I above I can pay off when 1st payment is due.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:04 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
It often depends on how long the (particular new) Acura you are looking at has been sitting on the lot.

My local dealer offered $2000 off MSRP, but that was 3 months ago when they had all just arrived. I ended-up buying something else, and cost was not real-high on my list of deciding factors.

Are you looking to buy a Base model or a Tech-Package 2021 TLX ? With or without SH-AWD ?
Thanks,
At this point I’ve basically been looking at a base model, but am considering the SH-AWD.
May purchase in the next month or two.

Old 02-09-2021, 02:10 PM
4th Gear

Hi,
Thanks for the very detailed info and tips!
I have 4 dealers within 30 miles (the next closest is almost 200 miles away).
Will definitely try some of your tips when I'm ready to reach out to dealers.

Old 02-09-2021, 02:12 PM
Drifting

Thanks,
At this point I’ve basically been looking at a base model, but am considering the SH-AWD.
You sure you wouldn't want at least the Tech pkg? Those parking sensors really come in handy and adds 2 more safety tech (blind spot monitor and rear cross-traffic alert).
Old 02-09-2021, 04:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Thanks,
It will be interesting to see what kind of discount is offered on Base model. Also, if you can even find one with SH-AWD.

Since you are already spending over $35k, be sure you know all the major stuff you are passing-up by not getting a Tech-Package model. Lots of fairly common tech (for now-days Premium vehicles) but also things like 19-inch wheels.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I was looking at a 2021 TLX Tech. The dealer showed me his invoice. The invoice prices was $4000 less than MSRP.
He said "I'll go halves with you. I make 2K, you save 2K."
There was also a $1K factory incentive.
I offered $750 less. He took it without much hesitation.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,420 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Originally Posted by Zozzle
I was looking at a 2021 TLX Tech. The dealer showed me his invoice. The invoice prices was $4000 less than MSRP.
LOL he said "you save 2K"? What a con, nobody is paying MSRP on the TLX right now so using the MSRP as a basis for how much you save is so disingenuous. They don't call 'em stealerships for nothing.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
Of course they did. They are having trouble moving them. Both Acura's near me in a 30 min radius has 10+ TLX sitting on the lot for a long time now not moving. You can see in Acuras monthly report they aren't selling many TLX considering its a redesign and a huge upgrade over past generation.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
LOL he said "you save 2K"? What a con, nobody is paying MSRP on the TLX right now so using the MSRP as a basis for how much you save is so disingenuous. They don't call 'em stealerships for nothing.
Maybe if I had used a tape recorder and had his EXACT quote for you, providing the exact adjective you might be a bit happier? I'll try harder next time.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,420 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Maybe if I had used a tape recorder and had his EXACT quote for you, providing the exact adjective you might be a bit happier? I'll try harder next time.

Whoa whoa, I'm laughing at him, not you; that was a rhetorical question, not a question of whether or not he actually said that. Yeesh, you Canadians
Old 04-28-2021, 02:14 PM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
Whatever discount dealer gives you, right now you can get another $2500 from Acura if you own 2011 and up Acura, Honda, GM, Volvo, etc. With dealer discount and this, you can probably get a shawd tech aspec for 40.
one4all (04-29-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 10:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm working a lease deal right now and I'm at about mid 43k before incentives $2500 conquest and $500 dealer cash on a ASPEC AWD. I've talked to about 5 or 6 dealers and this was the best I was able to at this time.
benjaminh (05-18-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 08:07 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by joshuco
I'm working a lease deal right now and I'm at about mid 43k before incentives $2500 conquest and $500 dealer cash on a ASPEC AWD. I've talked to about 5 or 6 dealers and this was the best I was able to at this time.
On my lease, I managed to negotiate a sale price that was less than $43k on the same ASPEC AWD before Halloween (a month after the car came out).

I think you can do better.

Edit: Just noticed you are in Long Island. Apparently there is high demand for this car out on the "island." You might be stuck.

Last edited by ELIN; 05-10-2021 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
On my lease, I managed to negotiate a sale price that was less than $43k on the same ASPEC AWD before Halloween (a month after the car came out).

I think you can do better.

Edit: Just noticed you are in Long Island. Apparently there is high demand for this car out on the "island." You might be stuck.
Yea this was easily the best quote I could get in this area, most wanted $450+ and don't even get me started on Toyota prices 😂
Old 05-10-2021, 07:43 PM
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts
I'll be happy if the Type-S has discounts of 10% off of MSRP. But, actually, I probably won't be because pricing will be too high...
Old 05-11-2021, 08:42 AM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
No scenario where you will see 10% off for TLXs. Dealers are drooling and waiting to slap $15K mark-ups. Honda doesn't care. They have ignored THOUSANDS of probes sent by customers since 2017 over Civic Type R price gouging. I've seen first hand my local Ford dealer get a slap on the hand from Ford corporate after just one tweet to Ford over Mustang-E. Next day after the tweet, dealer was forced to remove mark up and sold it for MSRP. Dodge literally punished their dealers for even $1 over Demon and Hellcat MSRP. Any dealer who got caught with mark-up was refused all future allocations of Hellcats. Pure and simple. Honda...DGAF. It's really a shame.
JDM_DOHC_SiR (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 10:36 AM
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SRB-TL
No scenario where you will see 10% off for TLXs. Dealers are drooling and waiting to slap $15K mark-ups. Honda doesn't care. They have ignored THOUSANDS of probes sent by customers since 2017 over Civic Type R price gouging. I've seen first hand my local Ford dealer get a slap on the hand from Ford corporate after just one tweet to Ford over Mustang-E. Next day after the tweet, dealer was forced to remove mark up and sold it for MSRP. Dodge literally punished their dealers for even $1 over Demon and Hellcat MSRP. Any dealer who got caught with mark-up was refused all future allocations of Hellcats. Pure and simple. Honda...DGAF. It's really a shame.
Agreed - I think they'll under deliver. I sense it'll be like the Chevy SS in short time. Pricing for this product is truly a high 40s, low 50s proposition.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:47 PM
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
Well anyone who pays anything over MSRP only has themselves to blame! If people don’t buy a particular car with a “markup” then the market will adjust. The buyers control whether a markup will even have a shot at lasting/working!!!!
Old 05-11-2021, 05:53 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
Well anyone who pays anything over MSRP only has themselves to blame! If people don’t buy a particular car with a “markup” then the market will adjust. The buyers control whether a markup will even have a shot at lasting/working!!!!
This thread was originally meant for the 4 cyl and morphed into Type S speculation.

There are plenty of Type S threads where pricing speculation can go...
Old 05-27-2021, 08:43 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Whatever discount dealer gives you, right now you can get another $2500 from Acura if you own 2011 and up Acura, Honda, GM, Volvo, etc. With dealer discount and this, you can probably get a shawd tech aspec for 40.
I took a TLX with AWD for a test drive yesterday, and the sales manager mentioned a $2,500 Acura loyalty discount, which I could get due to my 2010 TSX. I wasn't aware of this, but it could help me stay with Acura. Unfortunately that probably can't be the TLX, which I liked very much (despite a few issues) but is simply too big for our garage and for living in downtown Philly.

My most positive car purchase was back in 2006, when we bought a Mazda 5 microvan. The salesman offered such a low price that I would have felt like a complete jerk asking for a better deal, so I just took it. When I brought the 5 in for servicing at some point, I asked him why he had opened with such a low price, because it didn't make much sense to me. I would have been willing to pay a little more. He said, "I want to make sure I sell the car." Must have worked for him, because he's been the sales manager for several years. He's a very cool, personable guy, which helps.

So, the next time I buy a car, I'm tempted to tell that story and give them the opportunity to come in with a price I'd feel like a jerk to refuse. Probably won't work, but I'd like to see what happens.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:32 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joshuco
Try to go lower, i got my Aspec awd for 41k. 1k das, 460 monthly after tax. 36/12k
Old 06-04-2021, 08:23 AM
Cruisin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Just leased a A-Spec AWD two days ago. I'm in Massachusetts. Inventory is not plenty. I was able to get the grey exterior and red interior that I wanted. Don't let them use the low inventory reason to refuse discounts.

MSRP $47,275.
Discount: -$4,400
Conquest : -$2,500
Selling Price: $40,375.
ELIN (06-05-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 08:34 AM
Cruisin'

ahhh, the man is a COWW (cannot operate without wife)
ELIN (06-05-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 08:42 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Tesla1856

That seems to be the belief but not always true. Just signed on a 2021 RDX Tech package that hasn't even been delivered to the dealer yet. Got $3,925 discount + $1500 conquest = $5,425 off (12%)