Transitioning from Acura/Honda to Audi

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 05:05 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,996 Likes on 14,504 Posts
Originally Posted by vhtran
Sharp looking ride there, got me a Q8 not long ago and loving it. I am a Ross-Tech guy but you should look into ODB11, you can enhance options that did not come with the car (Gear select will have gear numbers D1-8 or S1-8, certain welcome front and rear lights, engage e-brake when park, many more).
not to mention the ability to enable the DRL LED WHILE you signal your intention to turn!
OBD11 is a must.
The following users liked this post:
vhtran (01-08-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 05:06 PM

just don't leave it plugged in long term, it'll drain your battery.
ask me how I know
Old 01-07-2021, 06:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
I'm not up on all the terms. I think one of the reasons they do it this way is so that if someone bumps you (or wife backs-into a tall curb) , there is a good chance your exhaust system won't get damaged. The port seems to be some kind of metal.

Appears to also be a good shot of tread on Bridgestone Potenza 255/35-R19-96Y summer-tires .

2021 Audi A5 (45-TFSI Quattro)
The other reason automakers have started to do this is because DI engines tend to be more sooty than port injection engines. If you look at some of the older TSI/FSI VW's and Audis (not even the diesel ones), especially white ones, you'll notice that the bumper around the exhaust tip tends to get really dirty.

Audi even went as far as to point the exhaust tip downwards on cars like the Q5 and completely block it off from the rear bumper because of customer complaints about sooty bumpers.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
The unfortunate part is, many of these Acura Loyalist won't entertain the idea of owning anything other than Acura and are stuck in this false mindset that Acura is that company from the good ole days of being know as reliable, affordable, luxury vehicles. The mighty have fallen and have continued to disappoint after their best production models. As an individual that has experienced MANY different vehicles through my 12+ years of being an ASE technician, the newer German vehicles are truly a different animal. The driving dynamics, technology and build quality is unlike the rest. The Acura's of the 90's and early 2000's is what them truly a drivers vehicle. I spent plenty of time behind the wheel of two new 2nd gen TLX. I'm harsh and critical in what i'd expect from a vehicle when you hit a price bracket north of 45K and IMO it's not worth that type of coin. See the 3rd gen TL made a lot of sense. It's a vehicle that was ahead of its time, which is why it's such a timeless classic. It had everything a car enthusiast wants and then some. From a 6MT with LSD, navigation, LED tail lights, Bi-Xenon headlights, interior design ect. It made a lot of sense of the money and it was a sporty sedan made to connect with the driver. I felt completely disconnected with the TLX. I couldn't get myself to truly appreciate it and felt they cut many corners for the price tag. The door panels are terrible, where the bumper meets the hood reminds me of the dodge charger and the exaggerated long nose and short back end is horrific. Honestly the 1st gen TLX A-spec exterior with the 2nd gen TLX interior would have been the best design.

Besides that, I don't believe anyone should be brand loyal. We all work hard and life is too short to not enjoy something fun. I couldn't picture myself owning one brand for the rest of my life. This is my 1st time being a BMW owner and while I'm not 100% happy with them, I do truly enjoy them and really love my M40i. It's such an incredible vehicle and honestly, one of the best vehicles I've owned. The TL will always have a special place in my heart since I have more of an emotional attachment to it. I would do whatever I could to protect my TL 1st over anything else. I treat it as my classic and people think I need to get my head examined.. When I drive the TL, I immediately tell that it's an older vehicle and it's no where near are tight or solid as the BMW's. I couldn't use my TL as a daily anymore because I've gotten a bit spoiled sitting up higher and having enough tire / wheel gap to soak up most of the road payment. In my opinion, I feel way more connected in my TL than I did with the TLX. It has more of that "you drive the car, it doesn't drive you" feeling. As I said, just wish more here would actually go out and test drive other vehicles for the price point.
I for sure guilty of being an Acura loyalist. 5 Acuras over the past 12 years. Type S, 2-TLX, 2 RDX, best of all those was the Type-S which was the best of the bunch and still my second favorite car of all time. The S5 was a real eye opener for me in many ways. With Acura prices going up to high levels it would be a good idea to test drive some other brands.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
I believe it.
When the car is in garage, and the engine is NOT running (with the large LCD, fast-processors in head-unit, high-powered sound-system [you gotta be jammin], sensors, lights everywhere, etc.) ... it's pretty easy to run the battery down pretty low while in Accessory-Mode.
You get about 15-20 minutes.

Thing is, before it runs the 12v-vehicle battery down too low to start the car again, it says something like "You need to start and run the engine so that your battery doesn't get much lower". While others have promised this, it's nice to have a car that monitors and does this properly, finally.

While I have been known to just "run up to the store" to charge it (I really have no where to go) ... lately I've just been attaching a trickle-charger. I've been charging it from the trunk.
It also has a small 16v Lithium battery for the MHEV functionality back there (both under spare tire).

Last edited by Tesla1856; 01-07-2021 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:42 PM

If you don't have a NOCO jump back, get yourself one...makes a jump super easy and convenient in a pinch!
Old 01-08-2021, 12:11 AM
Burning Brakes

If you don't have a NOCO jump back, get yourself one...makes a jump super easy and convenient in a pinch!
Yeah, I have one. It's pretty amazing. Not only does it work, you can leave it in the (usually hot, or cold) trunk of the car and the Lithium-battery inside it stays fully charged for months.

Never had to use it on the Audis yet. Like I said, the A5 warns you. It will even start when the battery is down to 25% and 11.8v. I think it might be because it is AGM.
On the Q5-e ... the 48v PHEV battery seems to keep the 12v vehicle-battery topped-off.

I did have to use it on the 2014-MDX once (lots of tech for normal-sized battery). I was hanging-out in the garage, forcing it to auto-rip some Audio-CDs to Jukebox-storage.
But I mainly got it for the old 2004 Accord-V6. Had to use it a few times on it because I managed to nurse it's ( old 2.5 years old) battery along until I traded it. Here in Texas, the heat is really hard on conventional lead-acid/flooded batteries. Even on the maintenance free ones, you still have to add distilled-water and do a deep-conditioning-charge on them after a couple of years. Not driving it for days at a time during Covid19 didn't help much.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:58 AM

OHHHH that's what you meant by Lithium battery in the trunk, gotcha...
Yeah, I had the dongle plugged in and I think that's what killed my battery the first time around.
Funny enough, I replaced it and a year later it was dead again...advance auto has diehard now
so they warranty replaced it with that and low and behold I had to jump it again. Then I thought,
I wonder if that thing is not supposed to stay in the obd port...read up on it and confirmed. DERP.
This was after replacing the AGM battery. Florida beats them up pretty badly too!

I'm seriously happy for you...great choice. Drove the S4 today and absolutely love it...the cars just
seem to get up and go and they cruise at the top end of compression it feels like...you know when you
feel like you're surfing on the powerband and you barely have to keep your foot in it to keep it flowing at
85mph...that's a must for me...S5 feels that way, S4 feels that way, the Suburban feels that way and even
the XC90 beater I have does.

Tesla1856 (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 05:59 AM

My Mom is a Honda girl...and she's got a CRV but I'm trying to convince her that an A5 Sportback would be perfect for her!
Old 01-08-2021, 07:34 AM
Drifting

Received 1,262 Likes on 917 Posts
Drove the S4 today and absolutely love it...the cars just
seem to get up and go and they cruise at the top end of compression it feels like...you know when you
feel like you're surfing on the powerband and you barely have to keep your foot in it to keep it flowing at
85mph...that's a must for me...S5 feels that way, S4 feels that way, the Suburban feels that way and even
the XC90 beater I have does.
It could be a very regional thing. All that power would be completely wasted driving down Queens Blvd ("Blvd of Death") or Woodhaven Blvd with a speed limit of 25 mph and enforced by speed cameras.

It's tough owning a nicer car in crowded cities.

I once had a taxi driver who ferried me down the West Side Hwy at 75 mph in Manhattan and nearly gave me a heart attack. No surprise when he said he was from TX!
Old 01-08-2021, 08:00 AM

LOL...
in FL you will get passed going 85 mph
I live very near US27 though...which is my daily commute.
That's where they did that Bugatti speed test back in the day
vhtran (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 10:13 AM
Car Enthusiast

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
Talking

ask me how I know
HOW? hahahaha ...kidding!
Old 01-08-2021, 02:12 PM

well, one AGM battery and the warranty replacement for that one later
Old 01-08-2021, 05:01 PM
Burning Brakes

1. Yeah, once you take a base S5, and build it up the way it really should be ... looking at $10,000-$15,000 more than a loaded A5. But if your gonna do it, I say do it up right.

2. When they say the stock A5 does 0-60 in 5.3 secs they mean it. It might be more like 5.0 secs. after break-in.
It is so quick (off the line), smooth transmission (even under full throttle), quiet, and fast (top speed) ... it's a little scary (in an awesome kinda way). So, yes ... easy to imagine how much he likes the 2018-S5-V6 and why.

I personally don't know about custom-tunes or mods, but I assume they don't do it to make them slower.
I see no reason to custom tune the Audi. Granted I have the S5 but I am sure the A5 is very quick from a stop. The acceleration is really effortless in the car. To some extent it reminds me a lot of the 3rd gen Type S (but much faster) where it took little peddle push to sent it off quickly. One thing that I really noticed is the car handles incredibly well while having a smooth and comfortable ride. I felt every bump in the road in my Type S. Things have improved a lot over the years. The summer tires probably add a lot to the handling but won't last long which is the compromise. I still never could understand how the TLX with near 300hp felt so much slower than the Type S with 286. Maybe 5 spd trans over the 9 speed ZF9. I do think the new Type S at 350-355 hp with a good trans pairing will be a good ride but time will tell. Not sure on the A5 but the S5 from what I read hits peak torque under 2k rpms.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jhb31

1. I see no reason to custom tune the Audi.

2. Granted I have the S5 but I am sure the A5 is very quick from a stop. The acceleration is really effortless in the car. Not sure on the A5 but the S5 from what I read hits peak torque under 2k rpms

3. Maybe 5 spd trans over the 9 speed ZF9. I do think the new Type S at 350-355 hp with a good trans pairing will be a good ride but time will tell. .
1. I'm not into all that either. I tend to prefer "performance stock" and trust the engineers (Audi's or who-evers) knew what they were doing with the designed and programmed it.

2. It is. However, I think you have to give the A5 more throttle than a S5. I have tried taking-off with around 80% throttle just to see what would happen. I'm trying not to over-rev or red-line it until I get a few more miles on it (break-in).

3. Yeah, the power delivery on the Audis not only seems a lot more responsive (off the line) but also more linear. While the engine/turbo seems more refined, I think a lot of it is also the transmission and drive-train (compared to the TLXes I test drove ... 2020-V6 and 2021-2.0T).
Old 01-08-2021, 07:44 PM

In theory I agree with you guys...
I'm also speaking as a guy with over 70K on both of mine so warranty is long gone (I never had one)
BUT, if you've ever spent a grand to get 5hp out of an exhaust it's a pretty tempting prospect to have
an additional 130hp available to you with just $1100 and tales of so many driving them like that with
no adverse effects.

To your point...once you tune the car, if you remove the tune the car will feel massively slow to you...
remember the engineers are bound by epa and safety regulations...
Old 01-08-2021, 07:52 PM
Burning Brakes

1. OHHHH that's what you meant by Lithium battery in the trunk, gotcha...

2. I'm seriously happy for you...great choice.

3. Drove the S4 today and absolutely love it...the cars just
85mph...that's a must for me...S5 feels that way, S4 feels that way, .
1. Yeah, there is also a 16v lithium battery-pack in the trunk now for the Audi MHEV functionality. Not sure when that started.

2. Thanks

3. I'm really impressed with this car, but I'm new to Audi. Good to hear that more seasoned Audi-owners like theirs also.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:01 PM
Burning Brakes

1. an additional 130hp available to you with just $1100

2. To your point...once you tune the car, if you remove the tune the car will feel massively slow to you...
remember the engineers are bound by epa and safety regulations...
1. Really? Wow. OK, I'm in . jk

2. We don't need no stinkin badges epa-regs .

Last edited by Tesla1856; 01-08-2021 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:39 PM
Burning Brakes

1. Really? Wow. OK, I'm in . jk

2. We don't need no stinkin badges epa-regs .
Be careful with any performance tuning on an Audi. They are pretty good from what I have read with detecting that after the fact on warranty claims. Out of warranty then no risk.
Tesla1856 (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 07:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Be careful with any performance tuning on an Audi. They are pretty good from what I have read with detecting that after the fact on warranty claims. Out of warranty then no risk.
Depends on the type of tune.

Piggy Backs are hard to detect because they do not effect the cars base programs. They work by sending false info to the stock programs. A plug or series of plugs go between the cars sensors & the ECU. As the sensor signals pass through the Piggy Back they are changed & fed into the ECU. Typically for lite maintenance you can shut the tune down & go back to stock with a button push or phone app. The juice box is small & easily hidden so you can leave it in the car. For more intensive work it gets unplugged from the car after its set to pure stock. Another nice thing about Piggy Backs is they can hold a number of different programs that can be changed on the fly. I used to use Pure stock, 94/95 octane, 100 octane, 93/100 octane 50:50 mix & 93/E85 70:30 Mix

If I was using a Piggy Back on the COBRA its leads would go between the plugs in the yellow box & some that don't show in the picture. The silver square to the left is the ECU. Mounted it hangs vertically just about where it is in the shot

The other type of tune a "flash" will overwrite sections of your ECU. Many manufactures have internal software that keep track of the number of times the ECU has been flashed. Flash to tune Flash back to stock Counter can show 2. When a flash is done it can only be changed by another flash about 15/20 minutes with a hand held. My COBRA uses a Flash tune. I hold three tunes in addition to the base FORD Racing crate motor tune on a hand held that plugs into the OBD-II port.

Street Performance with 93 octane, High Performance with 100 octane & 1965 FORD “FE” Big-Block 427 Dual Quad 485BHP Shelby Competition emulation engine. Complete flash cycle requires me to go back to the base tune the load the tune I want. About 20 minutes start to finish with the cars battery on a charger. If a battery looses a charge during a flash its even money the you will brick the ECU.

Not a big deal sometimes. I bricked one but as an adopter in putting the COYOTE into the COBRA was working with FORD Racing, the tuner & the handheld supplier. Sent the ECU back to FORD & they reset it. The developers changed the lead in handshake code & all was well. The crate ECU's are different from the passenger car versions so they could not just use a Mustang GT tune for its COYOTE.

That said if you brick one on your own a replacement is not a $1.29 & warranty issues can arise. There is a huge BMW tuner group with tens of thousands of tunes have been installed. Common word is don't screw up anything you can't afford to fix.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-10-2021 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Depends on the type of tune.

Piggy Backs are hard to detect because they do not effect the cars base programs. They work by sending false info to the stock programs. A plug or series of plugs go between the cars sensors & the ECU. As the sensor signals pass through the Piggy Back they are changed & fed into the ECU. Typically for lite maintenance you can shut the tune down & go back to stock with a button push or phone app. The juice box is small & easily hidden so you can leave it in the car. For more intensive work it gets unplugged from the car after its set to pure stock. Another nice thing about Piggy Backs is they can hold a number of different programs that can be changed on the fly. I used to use Pure stock, 94/95 octane, 100 octane, 93/100 octane 50:50 mix & 93/E85 70:30 Mix

If I was using a Piggy Back on the COBRA its leads would go between the plugs in the yellow box & some that don't show in the picture. The silver square to the left is the ECU. Mounted it hangs vertically just about where it is in the shot

The other type of tune a "flash" will overwrite sections of your ECU. Many manufactures have internal software that keep track of the number of times the ECU has been flashed. Flash to tune Flash back to stock Counter can show 2. When a flash is done it can only be changed by another flash about 15/20 minutes with a hand held. My COBRA uses a Flash tune. I hold three tunes in addition to the base FORD Racing crate motor tune on a hand held that plugs into the OBD-II port.

Street Performance with 93 octane, High Performance with 100 octane & 1965 FORD “FE” Big-Block 427 Dual Quad 485BHP Shelby Competition emulation engine. Complete flash cycle requires me to go back to the base tune the load the tune I want. About 20 minutes start to finish with the cars battery on a charger. If a battery looses a charge during a flash its even money the you will brick the ECU.

Not a big deal sometimes. I bricked one but as an adopter in putting the COYOTE into the COBRA was working with FORD Racing, the tuner & the handheld supplier. Sent the ECU back to FORD & they reset it. The developers changed the lead in handshake code & all was well. The crate ECU's are different from the passenger car versions so they could not just use a Mustang GT tune for its COYOTE.

That said if you brick one on your own a replacement is not a $1.29 & warranty issues can arise. There is a huge BMW tuner group with tens of thousands of tunes have been installed. Common word is don't screw up anything you can't afford to fix.
I based my prior comment on a post in the Audi forum. Guy had piston/ring issues 2k out of warranty. Audi corporate got involved for "goodwill" and was able to determine the car had been tuned (which the owner admitted). End result was no goodwill on Audi's part. Frankly the S series from Audi is tuned just fine as is. Low 4 second 0-60 without a tune is good enough for most. The owner that I cited may have had the A series though. Regardless no way I would tune an Audi and take the risk. Audi makes enough variants that are fast that tuning is not really needed. I can see with the TLX it may be attractive as they just are not fast off the lot.
Tesla1856 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 06:48 PM
Suzuka Master

I based my prior comment on a post in the Audi forum. Guy had piston/ring issues 2k out of warranty. Audi corporate got involved for "goodwill" and was able to determine the car had been tuned (which the owner admitted). End result was no goodwill on Audi's part. Frankly the S series from Audi is tuned just fine as is. Low 4 second 0-60 without a tune is good enough for most. The owner that I cited may have had the A series though. Regardless no way I would tune an Audi and take the risk. Audi makes enough variants that are fast that tuning is not really needed. I can see with the TLX it may be attractive as they just are not fast off the lot.
Was just explaining what tune is easy to detect & what is hard to detect. All my BMW's were tuned most Piggy Back & one Flash over a Piggy back. Think the Audi guy did something stupid to kill an engine 2K out of warranty. If he was running a flash he was a dead duck as far as Audi factory support.

Guys who buy quick cars generally want their quick car to be quicker than the factory stock quick cars. Generally its competitive people who buy these things in the first place. Only reason the Z4 is not tuned is it already exceeds the available traction. It will slip the tire off the line & on the 1/2 -2/3 shifts running high 3's to 60. Traction Limited is the word. I am not interested in doing wheels & tires when I have another quicker car with 13" wide tires to play with.
Old 01-12-2021, 04:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Was just explaining what tune is easy to detect & what is hard to detect. All my BMW's were tuned most Piggy Back & one Flash over a Piggy back. Think the Audi guy did something stupid to kill an engine 2K out of warranty. If he was running a flash he was a dead duck as far as Audi factory support.

Guys who buy quick cars generally want their quick car to be quicker than the factory stock quick cars. Generally its competitive people who buy these things in the first place. Only reason the Z4 is not tuned is it already exceeds the available traction. It will slip the tire off the line & on the 1/2 -2/3 shifts running high 3's to 60. Traction Limited is the word. I am not interested in doing wheels & tires when I have another quicker car with 13" wide tires to play with.
Low 4 second 0-60 on the S5 is plenty fast for me. Hit the pedal and it takes off effortlessly quick. Then again I had the V6 TLX and it took me close to a year to get used to the slower less responsive acceleration it had compared to my 07 Type S. I will say it may be hard to go back to a slower car going forward. Think this is about the "right" amount performance to keep me happy for a daily driver. Handling and comfort wise the S5 ride/seats are nicer than my TLX, not harsh but can corner effortlessly. Adjustable side bolsters and massage in the both front seats doesn't hurt. Anyway, not a fair comparison as the TLX fully optioned is a lot less. A pre-owned fairly new S5 is in the same range as the current TLX though so that helped with my decision. The Type S if at 55-60K missing many options was going to be a tough sell for me.

Also, the Type S is going to be a fairly heavy car in comparison which may weigh a bit on the "fast" factor.

Last edited by jhb31; 01-12-2021 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Low 4 second 0-60 on the S5 is plenty fast for me. Hit the pedal and it takes off effortlessly quick. Then again I had the V6 TLX and it took me close to a year to get used to the slower less responsive acceleration it had compared to my 07 Type S. I will say it may be hard to go back to a slower car going forward. Think this is about the "right" amount performance to keep me happy for a daily driver. Handling and comfort wise the S5 ride/seats are nicer than my TLX, not harsh but can corner effortlessly. Adjustable side bolsters and massage in the both front seats doesn't hurt. Anyway, not a fair comparison as the TLX fully optioned is a lot less. A pre-owned fairly new S5 is in the same range as the current TLX though so that helped with my decision. The Type S if at 55-60K missing many options was going to be a tough sell for me.

Also, the Type S is going to be a fairly heavy car in comparison which may weigh a bit on the "fast" factor.
Agree there is nothing slow about a 4.3/4.4 car. Its just no longer part of the alpha group of sports sedans but is certainly a alpha car among cars in general. It would defeat just about all of the cars from the muscle car era off the showroom floor.

The thing with tuning is how far do you want to go & how are you going to use the speed increase you get. Too many guys get to seeing sugar plumbs & not taking in everything they need to know about large power additions. Running 70 to 130 in Mexico has much different requirements than runs from a dead stop out of a traffic light which is different from running from a dead stop on a drag strip.

If the current tune or a lite tune will exceed the traction how much more do you want to spend for tires wheels & other enhancements. The Z comes with wider, more compliant, get flat, summer tires than normal on a 3/4 series BMW, adaptive suspension & an LSD stock. It still slips the tires so more power mean wheels, tires, suspension work on an already expensive suspension, differential brace, half shafts & possible drive shaft. Just not worth it for 1/2 second on a street car. The older 3 series started to break things at a bit over 410WHP on drag tires at the strip

That's another thing speed & time are not linier to power. The faster your base car is the more power it will take to get meaningful increased results. Further up the ladder you go the less cost effective improvements become as the car is moving through a fluid.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-12-2021 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Agree there is nothing slow about a 4.3/4.4 car. Its just no longer part of the alpha group of sports sedans but is certainly a alpha car among cars in general. It would defeat just about all of the cars from the muscle car era off the showroom floor.

The thing with tuning is how far do you want to go & how are you going to use the speed increase you get. Too many guys get to seeing sugar plumbs & not taking in everything they need to know about large power additions. Running 70 to 130 in Mexico has much different requirements than runs from a dead stop out of a traffic light which is different from running from a dead stop on a drag strip.

If the current tune or a lite tune will exceed the traction how much more do you want to spend for tires wheels & other enhancements. The Z comes with wider, more compliant, get flat, summer tires than normal on a 3/4 series BMW, adaptive suspension & an LSD stock. It still slips the tires so more power mean wheels, tires, suspension work on an already expensive suspension, differential brace, half shafts & possible drive shaft. Just not worth it for 1/2 second on a street car. The older 3 series started to break things at a bit over 410WHP on drag tires at the strip

That's another thing speed & time are not linier to power. The faster your base car is the more power it will take to get meaningful increased results. Further up the ladder you go the less cost effective improvements become as the car is moving through a fluid.
My understanding the S5 is 4.2 to 4.3 0-60 without launch control which the salesperson said it had. He said for max speed off the line turn off the traction control. Not something I would do or use regardless. For a daily driver it's plenty fast. Makes my 07 type S seem slow and it seemed much faster overall than the TLX. The nice thing about the S5 is it doesn't have the ride that you feel every bump and crack in the road which my type S did. Actually a much more comfortable ride than my TLX with instant power at any time. Very refined yet can take a corner at speed with no issue. It does have the sport package with the better rear diff which probably helps. I really wanted a coupe as I have no need for the extra doors. Not many options for coupes today. I wanted a 911 but passed that age a few years back.

I did like my TLX but it was so much more show than go. If Acura comes out with a performance coupe I may go for that. The TLX getting larger was not something I desired.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:01 PM
Suzuka Master

My understanding the S5 is 4.2 to 4.3 0-60 without launch control which the salesperson said it had. He said for max speed off the line turn off the traction control. Not something I would do or use regardless. For a daily driver it's plenty fast. Makes my 07 type S seem slow and it seemed much faster overall than the TLX. The nice thing about the S5 is it doesn't have the ride that you feel every bump and crack in the road which my type S did. Actually a much more comfortable ride than my TLX with instant power at any time. Very refined yet can take a corner at speed with no issue. It does have the sport package with the better rear diff which probably helps. I really wanted a coupe as I have no need for the extra doors. Not many options for coupes today. *I wanted a 911 but passed that age a few years back."

I did like my TLX but it was so much more show than go. If Acura comes out with a performance coupe I may go for that. The TLX getting larger was not something I desired.
. *I wanted a 911 but passed that age a few years back." Big mistake there You never pass that stage as long as you can drive safe.

There is a valid reason for anyone who can afford it to have at least 1 in their lifetime. The reason is whatever you can makeup to get the car.

Did not see an S5 but this S4 is rated by C&D at 4.3 to 60MPH

BMW 340 C43AMG S4 drag race

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-12-2021 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Wanted to send this private but cant do it that way. Being a BMW fan this was my first BMW out of school. Had it long enough to replace the timing belt 3 times (myself). Not fast but 5spd and my all time favorite car. For BearA.

Last edited by jhb31; 01-12-2021 at 08:13 PM. Reason: edit
The following 2 users liked this post by jhb31:
04WDPSeDaN (01-13-2021), nist7 (03-01-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 08:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Wanted to send this private but cant do it that way. Being a BMW fan this was my first BMW out of school. Had it long enough to replace the timing belt 3 times (myself). Not fast but 5spd and my all time favorite car. For BearA.
HeHe nice one. The BMW true believers think the world stopped with the E36 M3. Huge number of them are still racing. Was looking through the Audi's & the RS5 looks very quick at 3.8. Thing is all 3 make some killer cars but there is no getting away from them being expensive. Audi came back onto my radar to look at when BMW went Pig Snout 4 series. Only thing was could not find a standard size coupe I liked & the TT RS about the same price as the Z4 but was a bit too small to keep the wife happy. She already went with one small car.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-12-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:20 PM
Burning Brakes

HeHe nice one. The BMW true believers think the world stopped with the E36 M3. Huge number of them are still racing. Was looking through the Audi's & the RS5 looks very quick at 3.8. Thing is all 3 make some killer cars but there is no getting away from them being expensive. Audi came back onto my radar to look at when BMW went Pig Snout 4 series. Only thing was could not find a standard size coupe I liked & the TT RS about the same price as the Z4 but was a bit too small to keep the wife happy. She already went with one small car.
It's was what I believe was the first year of the E30. Styling wise not bad for mid 80's.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:54 AM

Fast is fast enough.
BUT, when you find out your car's supercharger is bleeding off excess boost for the sake of emissions and power regulations...
it's hard to not want to push the limit a bit.

With that said if the tunes started giving me shit or cut the fuel economy by a third...I'm out. Both cars were plenty fast (2014 S4 DSG and 2013 S5 6MT)
from factory. I did the supporting maintenance though...new plugs, dsg service, intake carbon cleaning...so far so good...both cars are quick, sound nice
and get nearly 30mpg highway...

My main thing is enjoyment to drive...barely getting on it and being up to highway speed feels nice to me.

Bear, does that 911 have the exhaust tips installed backward?
996T is in my future as well, I can assure you.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Fast is fast enough.
BUT, when you find out your car's supercharger is bleeding off excess boost for the sake of emissions and power regulations...

With that said if the tunes started giving me shit or cut the fuel economy by a third...I'm out. Both cars were plenty fast (2014 S4 DSG and 2013 S5 6MT)
from factory. I did the supporting maintenance though...new plugs, dsg service, intake carbon cleaning...so far so good...both cars are quick, sound nice

My main thing is enjoyment to drive...barely getting on it and being up to highway speed feels nice to me.

No here is a picture of another one

Never understood why they are not the same size. Was a change the sound option on the car. Don't know if it varied the tips.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-13-2021 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Fast is fast enough.

Meant to add none of the Piggy Back tunes had much if any effect on mileage. Ran a mid level tune day to day, Factory stock tune on lone trips & performance tunes when appropriate. As great feature of a Piggy Back is instant change from the steering wheel buttons.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:10 PM

on the Audi DSG the piggy back didn't play nicely with the normal shift points...tranny always seemed confused (as they usually are).
I meant plug in tunes via tune uploader from European Performance Labs.

About the Porshah tips...remember when people were slapping those tips on their 3G TL's? LOL...ew.
It just looks like the bigger circle should go on the inside not the outside...odd. What the hell do I know?
Old 01-23-2021, 12:52 PM
Burning Brakes

This is just a (190hp) 40-TFSI and not a (261hp) 45-TFSI engine, but I think you get the idea (like this, but faster).
Here in the US, hardly a price difference and gasoline is cheap, so I think most go for 45-TFSI (Quattro & MHEV are standard now-days).

Old 01-29-2021, 09:17 PM
Burning Brakes

HomeDepot adventures

I got to run a familiar errand today ... go pickup some bags of salt for the water-softener. First time in the new car.

So, a few 40-lb bags of salt fit in the A5-Coupe's truck ... no problemo ... we don't need no SUVs .

So, I park out in the boonies ... on the fringe of the large parking lot ... no-one around me.
When I come back out with the salt ... there are now 2 nice/clean cars parked in spaces around mine.
A BMW coupe and a recent model Honda Accord Coupe V6 (I always liked this model).

It was like a little coupe-car car-meet, but all the drivers were inside the HomeDepot.
No other cars around us for quite a many spaces.

Of course I was careful and quickly admired their cars before I left.
Did I miss a memo? Is this the etiquette now?

Last edited by Tesla1856; 01-29-2021 at 09:24 PM.
ESHBG (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 07:30 AM
Drifting

Received 1,262 Likes on 917 Posts
I got to run a familiar errand today ... go pickup some bags of salt for the water-softener. First time in the new car.

So, a few 40-lb bags of salt fit in the A5-Coupe's truck ... no problemo ... we don't need no SUVs .

So, I park out in the boonies ... on the fringe of the large parking lot ... no-one around me.
When I come back out with the salt ... there are now 2 nice/clean cars parked in spaces around mine.
A BMW coupe and a recent model Honda Accord Coupe V6 (I always liked this model).

It was like a little coupe-car car-meet, but all the drivers were inside the HomeDepot.
No other cars around us for quite a many spaces.

Of course I was careful and quickly admired their cars before I left.
Did I miss a memo? Is this the etiquette now?
"One of us! One of us!" LOL!
ESHBG (01-30-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 02:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Here's a video some might have missed. I think most opt for the (261hp) 45-TFSI engine (gas is cheap here).

I personally think the hard-top coupe needs more screen-time (and they could have at least shown the panoramic sunroof opening), but other that that ... I think the Audi corporate European dudes did a good job. If I had to pick a word to sum-up the cars, video, everything ... it would be "classy".

Last edited by Tesla1856; 03-01-2021 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:01 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
I had a brand new S5 park near me at the gym in dark blue with black wheels. Damn, I forget sometimes how good the A5/S5 looks.
Tesla1856 (03-06-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 08:04 PM
Suzuka Master

This is just a (190hp) 40-TFSI and not a (261hp) 45-TFSI engine, but I think you get the idea (like this, but faster).
Here in the US, hardly a price difference and gasoline is cheap, so I think most go for 45-TFSI (Quattro & MHEV are standard now-days).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRSM...channel=carwow

Thing is they don't sell the 420 here. Its a UK test with a Euro spec engine. Lowest power available is the US is the 430@ 255BHP 4 cylinder

C&D 430 1/4 mile: 13.9 sec @ 99 mph As for cheap gas. In NC who has had cheap gas for the past 4 years even with low virus restrictions its up from $2.316 in February 2021 to $2.583 today. 27 cents in a month & that just regular. Premium is a bit over $3.00.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:39 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRSM...channel=carwow
@Doom878

Quick Reply: Transitioning from Acura/Honda to Audi