TLX Type-S: Idle Stop & Cylinder Deactivation

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 11:59 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TLX Type-S: Idle Stop & Cylinder Deactivation

Does anyone with a 2021 TLX-S have any feedback on the Idle Stop & Cylinder Deactivation experience with this new model?
I was looking to replace an older TL with a new TLX-S but was concerned with paying all the extra money for the additional power that is going to be constantly managed by these econo-features.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
This is the first car I've had with this feature and its works well. Its on by default in comfort and normal, but its not on when your in sport or sport+

You do have the option to turn it off with a button if you're in comfort or normal. When your calmly driving in the city in normal mode, the slight hesitation when you take off at a light is fairly seemless.

I personally keep it in Sport mode for city driving about 80% of the time, so its not on then which gives you a bit better throttle response off the line, plus all the other sport benefits (sport+ is way too harsh for regular city driving in terms of high revs)
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (08-21-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 01:35 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by harpazo
This is the first car I've had with this feature and its works well. Its on by default in comfort and normal, but its not on when your in sport or sport+

You do have the option to turn it off with a button if you're in comfort or normal. When your calmly driving in the city in normal mode, the slight hesitation when you take off at a light is fairly seemless.

I personally keep it in Sport mode for city driving about 80% of the time, so its not on then which gives you a bit better throttle response off the line, plus all the other sport benefits (sport+ is way too harsh for regular city driving in terms of high revs)
I assume you are referring to Idle Stop.
What about Cylinder Deactivation where half the cylinders shut down at constant cruise speed but reactivate as soon as you bump the throttle?
Old 08-21-2021, 02:00 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
My idle-stop function has never activated from day 1. When the car first starts up, It says something like A/C setting prevent it from operating.

I'm not rushing to figure out what is going on, because I never want the idle-stop function at all.
The following 2 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
FNHP4ME (11-24-2021), norsairius (11-23-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 02:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by poolmon
What about Cylinder Deactivation where half the cylinders shut down at constant cruise speed but reactivate as soon as you bump the throttle?
Sorry but I'm not familiar with that part... just the idle stop.
Old 08-21-2021, 07:10 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 535 Likes on 273 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
My idle-stop function has never activated from day 1. When the car first starts up, It says something like A/C setting prevent it from operating.

I'm not rushing to figure out what is going on, because I never want the idle-stop function at all.
If your air conditioning is set to LOW the car won't activate the idle stop feature as the car will consistently push the highest output of cold air. This is why it's telling you the A/C is preventing the idle stop from activating.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:20 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
If your air conditioning is set to LOW the car won't activate the idle stop feature as the car will consistently push the highest output of cold air. This is why it's telling you the A/C is preventing the idle stop from activating.
I just drove home my new car a couple days ago, and is still trying to learn all the endless high tech features and functions.

Yes, the A/C was set to LO when the car was in the dealership. But I have adjusted the temperature setting to 19'C before I drove off the dealership.

Currently, there is a diagonal line strikes through the idle-stop symbol on the instrument display, which means that idle-stop is suspended.

Old 08-21-2021, 11:38 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
I just drove home my new car a couple days ago, and is still trying to learn all the endless high tech features and functions.

Yes, the A/C was set to LO when the car was in the dealership. But I have adjusted the temperature setting to 19'C before I drove off the dealership.

Currently, there is a diagonal line strikes through the idle-stop symbol on the instrument display, which means that idle-stop is suspended.
It could also stay active when on different settings I believe. I just know Low will always cause this to happen. I’d assume it depends on the outside temperature.
Old 08-22-2021, 02:56 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Does anyone with a 2021 TLX-S have any feedback on the Idle Stop & Cylinder Deactivation experience with this new model?
I was looking to replace an older TL with a new TLX-S but was concerned with paying all the extra money for the additional power that is going to be constantly managed by these econo-features.
After start up..push the Idle Stop button to turn off that system for that drive. It defaults on...but, on all my Acuras I just make it a part of the "start up...get ready" feature before taking off. I don't like
the system, and I turn it off right away. Easy enough...right? Also, in Individual Mode, you can set it there to not come on. Can do all this same stuff with my '22 MDX. I set up my "Individual Mode" and
when I want to all you do is push in the center of the Mode Selector button and it activates that Ind. Mode and goes to all the settings you programmed in.

Cylinder deactivation has been around for many yrs and I've had many Acuras with it. No big deal. Now it's so smooth you never know when it happens...but, know that it only happens when you are
on a constant speed, level drive/cruise. It's NOT constantly deactivating and activating. They have made it much better from when it first was implemented....but, just drive the car and enjoy it as you would
as if it didn't have it. I never give it a thought and it never truly reminds me at all that it did happen. Which is rare.
Old 08-24-2021, 12:48 AM
6G TLX-S

"Idle-stop is suspended" update :

Today after having driving the car for some meaningful distance, the Idle-stop function suddenly starts to work.

I think this is to do with the battery being low in charge. The battery may not be at full charge out of the factory, and since I have been doing short distance driving for the past few days, the battery never really get a decent charge up. With a weak battery, Idle-stop won't function.

Today, the long distance driving allows the battery to charge up nicely, and so Idle-stop comes back working, just as the design intended.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:28 AM
10th Gear

I was able to find the following Idle Stop conditiions in a 2021 RDX manual:

Legend2TL (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 07:51 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,090 Likes on 2,540 Posts
^ wow that's alot of inputs and parameters for the S/W developers to take into account for the ECU firmware
Old 08-26-2021, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Received 336 Likes on 118 Posts
I assume you are referring to Idle Stop.
I mean what's your primary concern with it? I don't know for a fact but I'd put money on it anyways that cylinder deactivation would never happen in sport/sport+ as the revs are going to be high and it's obviously not in a cruise configuration. In comfort and normal I'm sure it activates under similar cruise conditions like all other Honda V6's with the feature. Definitely don't think it's anything to worry about.
Old 08-27-2021, 07:42 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by DubPK
I mean what's your primary concern with it? I don't know for a fact but I'd put money on it anyways that cylinder deactivation would never happen in sport/sport+ as the revs are going to be high and it's obviously not in a cruise configuration. In comfort and normal I'm sure it activates under similar cruise conditions like all other Honda V6's with the feature. Definitely don't think it's anything to worry about.
My concern is three-fold. First I understand that cylinder deactivation is particularly tricky with the balance of a 6 cylinder engines and requires special hydraulic engine dampers to quell vibration upon relight. Second, being that the car is tubo charged and already has some turbo lag, shutting down 1/2 the exhaust available for rapid spool up would only seem to add to the lag. Third, it's the thought of paying all that extra money for the additional power and having the car deactivate it on on its own. That is why I wanted feedback from someone who drives one every day under varying input circumstances to get their real world feedback.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:17 AM
Instructor

Received 336 Likes on 118 Posts
My concern is three-fold. First I understand that cylinder deactivation is particularly tricky with the balance of a 6 cylinder engines and requires special hydraulic engine dampers to quell vibration upon relight. Second, being that the car is tubo charged and already has some turbo lag, shutting down 1/2 the exhaust available for rapid spool up would only seem to add to the lag. Third, it's the thought of paying all that extra money for the additional power and having the car deactivate it on on its own. That is why I wanted feedback from someone who drives one every day under varying input circumstances to get their real world feedback.
I've driven a J35 with cylinder deactivation for nearly ten years now and never once noticed it nor have I ever found the engine hesitant to provide the power when I punch it down in situations where I imagine cylinder deactivation would've been on such as cruising on the highway (55-80mph) and accelerating suddenly for whatever reason. If cylinder deactivation is creating a delayed power response I suspect the delay is shorter than the amount of time it takes to downshift.

Unscientific but I highly doubt the situation would be different for the TLX-S. In Comfort/Normal the cylinders should be relit faster than the transmission downshifts, in sport/sport+ I'm sure it would never kick in at all. If it was a problem surely some owners would be talking about it by now.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
if you guys hate the auto stop start that much.. install this thing. https://www.idlestopper.com/product/...rue&cst=custom you're welcome
The following 3 users liked this post by Nexx:
FNHP4ME (11-24-2021), JDM_DOHC_SiR (09-11-2021), Misfit (09-09-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 09:50 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Nexx
if you guys hate the auto stop start that much.. install this thing. https://www.idlestopper.com/product/...rue&cst=custom you're welcome
I need one of these!

I don't understand why my Type S won't start up in sport but the 2019 TLX ASPEC would... dumb decision
The following 3 users liked this post by KrylonBlue:
JDM_DOHC_SiR (09-11-2021), Misfit (09-09-2021), Terdbath (09-14-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 05:39 AM
Drifting

Received 1,231 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
I need one of these!

I don't understand why my Type S won't start up in sport but the 2019 TLX ASPEC would... dumb decision
Fuel economy. The 2G TLX, whether it's the 2.0 or the 3.0, needs all the help it can get!
Old 09-10-2021, 08:42 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Nexx
Works great on my TLX. I couldnt stand having Idlestop on everytime I started the car.
JDM_DOHC_SiR (09-11-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 06:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
They (Idlestopper.com) also have an IDS drive mode controller which will save your last driving mode if it is in Sport or Individual. Has anyone tried that?
Old 11-23-2021, 11:32 AM
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by sooner_luvr
They (Idlestopper.com) also have an IDS drive mode controller which will save your last driving mode if it is in Sport or Individual. Has anyone tried that?
Yes I installed it in my wife’s 2021 TLX. It always starts in individual mode now. After starting the car within 3 seconds or so it automatically switches to individual mode.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:55 PM
SH-AWD TECH

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Good to see they improved the system, if battery charge is low, idle stop will not activate instead of dying on restart. That has been the only failure on my 15' V6. Now if it actually works & won't prematurely drain the battery like it does with G1 TLX, that's still to be determined.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:40 PM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
I'm sorry, but cylinder deactivation and idle start/stop on a "performance" car is an oxymoron. The laundry list of suggestions how to overcome it, from drive modes to fiddling with AC settings is tragicomic. I don't care what anyone says, neither one of these are there for you and your MPG. They cause vibrations and super annoying situations at stop lights. The best part of this is when you stop in your driveway, the car shuts off. You put it in park to leave the car, the car turns on and then you shut it off again to exit...LOL. Or the instant moment you stop at a light, it turns green and you have to get moving, the car went through a shut off/on cycle to save 0.5 seconds of gas. Total chicanery. The one and only reason why this exists is so OEMs can get rebates and kickbacks from EPA for reducing emissions. That. Is. It. You, the end users are an afterthought.
FNHP4ME (11-24-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 05:38 PM
ここに えいごおはなせるひとはいますか ???

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by sooner_luvr
Installed one on my Type-S and have it set for Sport Mode... best thing I have purchased for the car yet
BOWA41 (11-23-2021)