Mid cycle refresh (2024?) wish list

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 09:43 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Mid cycle refresh (2024?) wish list

What would you like to see?

1. PHEV power train. Or at least hybrid/mild hybrid. With our smallish fuel tank I really want better range, especially if I swing for AWD next time. And unnoticeable stop/start. That said I don’t see this happening.
2. More sound deadening AND active noise cancelling.
3. LEAVE MY TRACK PAD ALONE but just fix the bugs. And give me a charger that supports my iPhone 12.
4. Google enabled GPS. If I have this I don’t need CarPlay. But make that wireless too since it’s apparently not coming this year.
5. Better thigh support. I have the extendable support and can hardly feel it.
6. More aggressive adaptive cruise. And I want the lawyers to bug me less during lane centering.
7. This will never happen but I drive a lot in central WI and am terrified of smashing into deer so night vision would be nice.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:58 AM
Drifting

Received 1,273 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by oldsnwbrdr
With our smallish fuel tank I really want better range, especially if I swing for AWD next time.
Be careful how loudly you say this! I was crucified for my fuel anxiety!

I fill up every other week now, which is how it should be...
The following users liked this post:
MarcoTLX (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 01:05 PM
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
Be careful how loudly you say this! I was crucified for my fuel anxiety!

I fill up every other week now, which is how it should be...
or one can get an EV, and never have to worry about filling up or touching those nasty pump handles 😄.

Valid points OP and I’d say I agree with nearly everything you mentioned.
Old 11-17-2022, 01:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,448 Likes on 1,893 Posts
1. Touchscreen for the infotainment. No reason they can't marry it with the touchpad for those who refuse to give it up.
2. Better wheels for the A-Spec. Current ones look pretty ugly.
3. Wireless CP/AA. What's the point of having a wireless charger if you still have to plug in to use CP/AA?
4. More power would be nice to make up for its weight. If they're worried about it encroaching on the Type S, then just don't advertise the power gain and underrate the numbers like everyone else does.
5. Make the seatbacks thinner in order to open up a bit more rear legroom in the back. The current seatbacks are comically thick and that encroaches on backseat space.
6. Shave the stupid hump off the middle seat it's actually usable for anyone taller than 5'2.
MarcoTLX (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 06:03 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by richii0207
or one can get an EV, and never have to worry about filling up or touching those nasty pump handles 😄
Not ready for that yet. Charging infrastructure is unreliable and by no means ready for the influx of EVs that will sold next few years.
The following 2 users liked this post by oldsnwbrdr:
a35tl (11-18-2022), MarcoTLX (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 06:11 PM
Drifting

or one can get an EV, and never have to worry about filling up or touching those nasty pump handles 😄.

Valid points OP and I’d say I agree with nearly everything you mentioned.
EVs are nice when the battery is fresh. Not so much when you have to find a landfill and then the earth has locales where these batteries start leaching the nasties into water and the ecology.

I've worked with these EV companies who want to know how to clean the air when the car/battery catches fire. Lots of nasty stuff when it burns! Currently there is no regulation but I can tell you from the list of chemicals that I don't want to be near one of these burning cars (and yes, it's worse than cars that run on hydrocarbons)!
oldsnwbrdr (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 10:00 PM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts
-Thinner seat backs, get rid of the pockets and save half an inch

-improved rear brakes on type S. I know the rears are not doing nearly as much as the fronts but if they contributed a bit more it should put less stress on the fronts.

-i agree with the aspec wheel change idea

-Canadian type S specs for the US.

-i dont necessarily think it needs it, but a larger screen would be an easy upgrade, there is space for it and its already in the MDX parts bin, i would be shocked if this didnt happen.

-improved carplay connectivity is a must

-rear usb ports

- front radar better integrated

- would anyone complain if they cranked the type S turbo up to 17 psi?

-liquid carbon metallic colour option for type S and Aspec

- dont mess up the appearence too much, im sure updated bumper skins will be a part of it but the thing is gorgeous as is, dont wreck it just to be different
Old 11-17-2022, 10:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
EVs are nice when the battery is fresh. Not so much when you have to find a landfill and then the earth has locales where these batteries start leaching the nasties into water and the ecology.

I've worked with these EV companies who want to know how to clean the air when the car/battery catches fire. Lots of nasty stuff when it burns! Currently there is no regulation but I can tell you from the list of chemicals that I don't want to be near one of these burning cars (and yes, it's worse than cars that run on hydrocarbons)!
I've been near an EV fire and the fumes will seriously mess you up. Even catching a whiff of the smoke will make your lungs burn.
ELIN (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 06:07 AM
7th Gear

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Realistic changes they should actually make
- wireless carplay
- fix wireless charger
- fix puddle lights
- add ELS signature edition from the MDX as an option (and include / option in Type-S)

Unrealistic changes they should make but wont because they're honda
- more power from the type-s motor
- larger brakes for the type-s
- better shift logic in manual mode (stay in manual mode)
- LEDs on rear doors, looks cheap to leave them out.
- usb charging and/or power ports in rear
ELIN (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 06:51 AM
Drifting

I like how you broke down your lists!

My comments next to yours in bold below:

Originally Posted by ketchupnsketti
Realistic changes they should actually make
- wireless carplay It made it to the RDX MMC. Can't see why it won't show up on the TLX
- fix wireless charger Harder fix for MagSafe phones as I can't imagine it would be that cheap to satisfy iPhone users
- fix puddle lights This may fall to the list below unless longer term owners can confirm the latest fix is permanent
- add ELS signature edition from the MDX as an option (and include / option in Type-S) The smaller TLX interior is not quite as cavernous as the MDX's. I think current 3D ELS system is just fine.

Unrealistic changes they should make but wont because they're honda Largely agree with this list. Purely economics-driven.
- more power from the type-s motor
- larger brakes for the type-s
- better shift logic in manual mode (stay in manual mode)
- LEDs on rear doors, looks cheap to leave them out.
- usb charging and/or power ports in rear
Old 11-18-2022, 08:27 AM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 375 Likes on 249 Posts
My list is as follows
  • 2024 TLXs should be offered with the A-Spec Advance Package and Type-S Advance Package (Seeing as it is offered on the 2022/2023 MDX and RDX)
  • Bump the HP levels slightly for the 2.0T I4 and the 3.0T V6
  • Digital gauge cluster needs to be standard, if not standard then restricted to the Advance, A-Spec Advance, and Type-S Advance packages. (Which allows for those who still like the analogs to still be able to purchase a TLX with analogs at the cost of not having all the features of the advance package)
The following 2 users liked this post by MarcoTLX:
a35tl (11-18-2022), ELIN (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 02:20 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
Acura just admit you failed with the infotainment system and just redesign it. There’s a reason every competitor switched to touchscreen.

wireless CarPlay is a must for MMC

new wheel and bumper design. The exterior is perfect… just a minor update will be perfect.

hp is fine. Just update software. I’m sure the type s would open up with a simple tune.

more colors for the ambient lighting

more paint options

advance and an aspec model similar to the MDX
The following 2 users liked this post by djhtsx:
MarcoTLX (11-18-2022), mlody (11-25-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 05:52 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by djhtsx
Acura just admit you failed with the infotainment system and just redesign it. There’s a reason every competitor switched to touchscreen.

wireless CarPlay is a must for MMC

new wheel and bumper design. The exterior is perfect… just a minor update will be perfect.

hp is fine. Just update software. I’m sure the type s would open up with a simple tune.

more colors for the ambient lighting

more paint options

advance and an aspec model similar to the MDX
If it was touchscreen or touchpad, I’ll choose touchpad every time. Maybe they can move the screen closer, add a digitizer, and rewrite the entire software to please the touchscreen lovers by utilizing touchscreen AND touchpad. But touchpad > touchscreen for driving.

I’ve called wrong people numerous times on the touchscreen of my Tesla whereas not once in my Type S. FWIW the touchpad is safer than a touchscreen, especially given the current screen placement.
Old 11-18-2022, 10:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,448 Likes on 1,893 Posts
If it was touchscreen or touchpad, I’ll choose touchpad every time. Maybe they can move the screen closer, add a digitizer, and rewrite the entire software to please the touchscreen lovers by utilizing touchscreen AND touchpad. But touchpad > touchscreen for driving.

I’ve called wrong people numerous times on the touchscreen of my Tesla whereas not once in my Type S. FWIW the touchpad is safer than a touchscreen, especially given the current screen placement.
Touchpad + CarPlay is infuriating to use. It's arguably worse because you still have to look at the screen to see where the cursor is, and you have to take your eyes off the road for longer because it takes longer to do anything with it.

And frankly, I use CarPlay 99% of the time I use the infotainment system, so optimizing for CarPlay is way more important than optimizing for the native experience.
djhtsx (11-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 12:45 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
(1) Much reduced curb weight.
(2) Much higher engine output.
Pguan (01-26-2023)
Old 11-19-2022, 05:10 AM
Pro

Received 510 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
(1) Much reduced curb weight.
(2) Much higher engine output.
an all-carbon fiber body, and the twin-turbo V6 from the NSX would suffice.
The following 2 users liked this post by bilirubin:
Pguan (01-26-2023), Tony Pac (11-21-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 11:12 AM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Touchpad + CarPlay is infuriating to use. It's arguably worse because you still have to look at the screen to see where the cursor is, and you have to take your eyes off the road for longer because it takes longer to do anything with it.

And frankly, I use CarPlay 99% of the time I use the infotainment system, so optimizing for CarPlay is way more important than optimizing for the native experience.
Agreed! It would be nice if they could design the software to have the touch pad function as a traditional “mouse type pad” when in Carplay mode. Then go back to the native function when NOT in CarPlay mode.
Old 11-19-2022, 12:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by fiatlux

The touchpad acts like a D-pad selector with swipes acting like up/down/side buttons. It keeps the selected option and doesn’t require the user to keep looking at the screen. There is no cursor. It’s essentially the same as the steering wheel buttons controlling the cockpit.
Using CarPlay in the Type S feels safer while driving than the CTR. The only good thing about the touchscreen is having to navigate through maps. People are so used to having touchscreen that anything else seems foreign and unpopular. We’re set on our old usual ways.
Old 11-19-2022, 05:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Integra Type-S may be the way to go honestly. Sure, it won't have SH-AWD, but for the people who hate the TTI (I personally like it), the ITS will use the same touchscreen as its Honda Civic cousin. Hopefully, the ITS gets more aggressive looks (wider fenders and tweaked front/rear fascia ... no ridiculous wing) and the K20C4 (Accord 2.0T). No way it gets the C1 (CTR), but it would be nice to have a manual or at the very least the beefed up 10AT from the TLX-S (pipe dream). If they were to do that, the ITS will be at the top of my list.

From watching a bunch of YT videos, the new CTR, though much mature looking, goes the opposite way with its suspension, going overly stiff for track boyzz to gloat over while 95% of them will never go within 100mi of an actual track/road course. I imagine the ITS will be much more compliant for street use, though they sadly didn't do much in the way of isolating road noise over the Civic.

Plus, the hatckback design of the Integra allows it to be pretty practical and has more rear legroom to put rear-facing car seats.
Old 11-21-2022, 08:31 AM
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
Just a few things for me, personally:
  • Some weight loss
  • A bit more power from the 2.0T
  • A more responsive and snappier transmission - I've said it elsewhere around here, but the ZF 8-speed used so much in other luxury cars sets the bar really high for automatics. That should be the target to be met, if not exceeded.
Pguan (01-26-2023)
Old 11-21-2022, 09:39 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,619 Likes on 976 Posts
Originally Posted by bilirubin
an all-carbon fiber body, and the twin-turbo V6 from the NSX would suffice.
And reduce cost by $5K

The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
bilirubin (11-21-2022), Pguan (01-26-2023)
Old 11-21-2022, 08:21 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
If Acura wants to do something with the Performance Manufacturing Center, how about a true performance TLX-S instead of play with paint.

Carbon fiber fenders, hood, door skins and decklid to save weight and a performance boost for the V-6 would be a good start.
The following 3 users liked this post by mike03a3:
djhtsx (11-22-2022), MarcoTLX (11-22-2022), silverTL6 (11-25-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 08:37 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,619 Likes on 976 Posts
Originally Posted by mike03a3
If Acura wants to do something with the Performance Manufacturing Center, how about a true performance TLX-S instead of play with paint.

Carbon fiber fenders, hood, door skins and decklid to save weight and a performance boost for the V-6 would be a good start.

Agreed! I think it's a great opportunity for Acura to boost these PMC models with more power and features rather than carbon side mirrors. I personally think it's a waste of resources and opportunity. they have the talent, resources and already a good vehicle lineup. Make them the best
mike03a3 (11-22-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 09:27 AM
Pro

Received 510 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by mike03a3

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Agreed! I think it's a great opportunity for Acura to boost these PMC models with more power and features rather than carbon side mirrors. I personally think it's a waste of resources and opportunity. they have the talent, resources and already a good vehicle lineup. Make them the best
Agreed. They need to go "full PMC" on the TLX. Carbon fiber body panels, gotham grey paint, lightweight forged wheels.
The following 4 users liked this post by bilirubin:
BOWA41 (11-23-2022), MarcoTLX (11-22-2022), mike03a3 (11-22-2022), Tony Pac (11-22-2022)