iPhone and CarPlay - Caller can’t hear me

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 05:03 PM
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
iPhone and CarPlay - Caller can’t hear me

Anyone having an issue where sometimes the person on the other end of the line all of a sudden stops hearing your voice during a call? I can hear them but they cannot hear me. Unplug the cable and they can hear me again. Only happens about half of the time and at random times in the call. IPhone XS.

Help! Thank you
The following users liked this post:
Glen Collins (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:02 PM
9th Gear

I’ve been having the same problem for a couple of weeks...no reason and no rhyme... Everything was working great after the last update. Also, this past weekend, my CarPlay conveniently disconnected itself and I had to do the 3-finger reboot. Afterwards, I had to go back into the settings to reconnect or reenable CarPlay. I’ll be glad when all the bugs and kinks are out of this system. Hopefully soon or... ��
Old 04-23-2019, 02:52 PM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by contourrob
Anyone having an issue where sometimes the person on the other end of the line all of a sudden stops hearing your voice during a call? I can hear them but they cannot hear me. Unplug the cable and they can hear me again. Only happens about half of the time and at random times in the call. IPhone XS.

Help! Thank you
This happened to me on my drive last weekend for the first time. The caller immediately called me back and it worked fine....????
Old 04-24-2019, 07:23 AM
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
I have had this happen on every car that I had my iPhone connected via USB. I believe it is an issue with the initial handshake between the phone and the car, with the issue happening randomly. My experience has been only when I originate the call. I hangup when they don't hear me when the call connects and call back and everything works.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:23 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same issue here.

Mine usually happens about 2 minutes into the call. Usually solved by hitting the 'speaker' button to transfer the voice call to iphone and hit the 'speaker' button again quickly to have it trasnfer back to the car.
I think it happens about twice during longer calls.

Also, noticed that my music from iphone tends to skip if I plug in the phone before I start the car. This usually gets solved but unplugging the cable.

Only had my car for about 3 weeks now, but started to notice this right off the bat.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:02 AM
10th Gear

This works for me too. Thank you! Not perfect, but a decent temporary solution until the software gets fixed.

Originally Posted by accchoi
Same issue here.

Mine usually happens about 2 minutes into the call. Usually solved by hitting the 'speaker' button to transfer the voice call to iphone and hit the 'speaker' button again quickly to have it trasnfer back to the car.

Also, noticed that my music from iphone tends to skip if I plug in the phone before I start the car. This usually gets solved but unplugging the cable.

Only had my car for about 3 weeks now, but started to notice this right off the bat.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:36 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by contourrob
This works for me too. Thank you! Not perfect, but a decent temporary solution until the software gets fixed.
Great to hear this works on others as well.

I made sure I was using certified lighting cable or one out of apple box. Same thing.

Noticed one more thing today that person on the other end cannot hear me when I 'touch' the phone. Weird issue.
I have NO ISSUE whatsoever on my 2018 Accord however....
Old 05-27-2019, 11:59 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I regularly have this issue. Push speaker on my iPhone and then deselect and the problem clears up.
Another annoying Acura infotainment glitch !
Old 05-28-2019, 08:42 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
We’re not alone (see Car & Driver article below) One reason why I chose my RDX . . . Honda reliability except for those infotainment glitches experienced by those using Car Play and SiriusXM. I use neither and completely problem free after nine months. Blame Acura or Apple but this needs to be fixed before I use either. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ce-20k-update/
Old 05-29-2019, 02:39 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this problem too. I even tried updating to the latest iOS beta in hopes it was something that Apple could fix on their end. That did not work. I also had another issue with intermittent disconnects. I read another thread that said to factory reset the RDX's infotainment system. I did this and also removed the RDX from iPhone's CarPLay settings. It has been over one week now and no one-way audio or disconnects. I inadvertently solved one problem while troubleshooting another.

I hope this works for y'all because I know it is VERY frustrating...
Old 05-30-2019, 08:01 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
I have the same issue, have to hang up and call again and then it works fine. It only started happening a few weeks ago. About 1 week ago Carplay also started to randomly disconnect and reconnect every few minutes, I wonder if they are related.
firstacura19 (06-16-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 02:44 PM
10th Gear

Yup! I went to Settings > System > Factory Data Reset
Old 05-31-2019, 06:30 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
I experience this problem using an iPhone XS occasionally too. It seems avoidable though. I have a habit of answering/placing calls from my phone rather than the infotainment system. This is usually when it happens. Sometime's it's just easier for me to tap 'answer' on my phone's screen since it's mounted to my dash near my hand.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:28 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by accchoi
Same issue here.

I have been having the SAME issue with my 2019 RDX. The local dealer thinks I'm crazy. Honda Tech support has no ideas. I've been using the same workaround but am sick of it and have stopped using CarPlay for phone calls. It's nice to see that my issue isn't isolated. Anyone have other fixes for this? I've tried resetting my NAV unit, turning off bluetooth, etc. Nothing works. I continue to have issues with people not being able to hear me after 1-3 minutes on a call. As with your situation, switching to "speaker" and then back fixes it...
firstacura19 (06-16-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 08:11 AM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Join the class action lawsuit. This any many other infotainment issues need to be addressed by Acura and they clearly don’t know what to do or take the issues seriously. It seems to be the only way to force them to do something.

It’s really hard to believe they released a car and system with this many bugs, this issue is one of many I noticed right away.

its free to join and only takes 5-10 minutes of your time.
The following 2 users liked this post by gqchicago:
firstacura19 (06-16-2019), securityguy (06-08-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 12:05 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
OK, now it's getting pretty bad for me. I just never know when someone can or can't hear me. I need a fix.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:12 AM
First and last Acura.done

How do I do this?

Originally Posted by gqchicago
Join the class action lawsuit. This any many other infotainment issues need to be addressed by Acura and they clearly don’t know what to do or take the issues seriously. It seems to be the only way to force them to do something.

It’s really hard to believe they released a car and system with this many bugs, this issue is one of many I noticed right away.

its free to join and only takes 5-10 minutes of your time.
And do Lemon laws apply?