Get Back to the Purpose

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 02:06 AM
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 35 Posts
Get Back to the Purpose

For years this has been a place to visit, when I have a problem or question about my Acura, there’s several people that have too and we find a solution and share it.

I don’t care if you had a 1991 Integra and you’ve moved on to another manufacturer. The trash talk on here needs to cease. The whole “TLX Sucks” and “other manufacturers are better” is nonsense.

This is a community of ownership. The sole purpose of the existence of the make and model threads is ownership. The only exception is people looking for advice or feedback for an Acura model they’re looking to purchase.

There’s another discussion forum you can go to and discuss which car is better or how the expectations of a car you are not purchasing have not been met.

Seriously tired of the disrespect of certain members in this community on the Acura brand.

I’m taking a stand for the brand. Many others will too. Get back to the purpose of this site and leave the garbage out.

PS… there is a private message feature you guys can have at it all day in…
The following 7 users liked this post by Ghostof TypeS Past:
DJ Iceman (08-01-2021), Flapjackura (07-25-2021), flatlandtlx (07-25-2021), Furnace (07-26-2021), Jim2301 (07-25-2021), KidK (07-25-2021), Tony Pac (07-27-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-25-2021, 06:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Acura doesn’t care about you. It’s a product just like a McDonalds cheeseburger. Would you go on a McDonalds forum and defend a multi billion dollar company and get mad that people chose Burger King because they are disappointed with the food at McDonalds?
The following 3 users liked this post by Kense:
Acuraaaw (07-27-2021), DubPK (07-25-2021), vhtran (07-26-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 08:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Just to play Devil's Advocate, why not poop all over Acura? They hyped up a product, talking almost solely about performance (Jon Ikeda himself says Acura is not a luxury brand and they don't focus whatsoever on it ... they don't even say "the L word") and pedigree. Then you brought the Type-S to market. Is it an objectively bad car by itself? Absolutely not. But, when your primary focal point of all your marketing was about how performance-oriented it was going to be ... and all the plebs were rejoicing about how Honda/Acura, when they decide to put their minds to it, dominate the car scene ... and then you bring out what they brought out, why not call them out?

Being critical often brings about change. There are winners and losers ... this drives the competitive spirit. Well, maybe not so much anymore in this world, where people with hurt feelings want participation trophies and mediocrity for all.

If you bought the car and you like it, by all means, enjoy. I got a lot of flak when I bought my 2005 GTO from people saying it looked like a G6 and sneered at its styling. But, it put a shit-eating grin on my face when a couple of boomers in a B7 Alpina mocked what "6.0" on my trunk meant and laughed when I explained it was the displacement of the motor. They wouldn't make eye contact when I let them pull up along side me after I freight trained them (forgot to mention to them my heads/cam/supercharger on top of my my 6.0L V8). That shit is fun.

On the flip side, you slathered Type-S badges all over this new car and talked it up all over the internet. Now that the figures are out, you know there are going to be pimply kids in their STi's, Accords, CTRs, K5 GTs, etc looking to run you. Me, personally, I can't justify dropping $53k on a performance car that gets outgunned from a roll from a Kia K5 GT. Whether it be actually racing or simply trying to pass them on the highway. Sure, I want a car that's more comfortable to drive day-to-day, but performance is still near the top of my priorities when shopping for my next car.

[My reasoning may be flawed, but both the Kia G5 GT & CTR have worse 0-60 times, but their 100MPH and 130MPH times are actually quicker than the Type-S ... remove the hassle of launching a FWD car and from a roll, these quicker times should mean that these cars are going to put some distance on the Type-S, assuming gearing isn't then an issue. By the same logic, looks like the Type-S will still beat the Accord 2.0T and STi, thankfully.]
The following 3 users liked this post by leomio2.0:
04WDPSeDaN (07-25-2021), Acuraaaw (07-27-2021), someguy11 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 09:00 AM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
🤦🏽‍♂️ You guys sure know how to flip the script. OP was just trying to turn this forum back to something positive by ending the disrespect.
The following 3 users liked this post by djhtsx:
Ghostof TypeS Past (07-25-2021), Jim2301 (07-25-2021), wassystyle (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 09:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Just to play Devil's Advocate, why not poop all over Acura? They hyped up a product, talking almost solely about performance (Jon Ikeda himself says Acura is not a luxury brand and they don't focus whatsoever on it ... they don't even say "the L word") and pedigree. Then you brought the Type-S to market. Is it an objectively bad car by itself? Absolutely not. But, when your primary focal point of all your marketing was about how performance-oriented it was going to be ... and all the plebs were rejoicing about how Honda/Acura, when they decide to put their minds to it, dominate the car scene ... and then you bring out what they brought out, why not call them out?

Being critical often brings about change. There are winners and losers ... this drives the competitive spirit. Well, maybe not so much anymore in this world, where people with hurt feelings want participation trophies and mediocrity for all.

If you bought the car and you like it, by all means, enjoy. I got a lot of flak when I bought my 2005 GTO from people saying it looked like a G6 and sneered at its styling. But, it put a shit-eating grin on my face when a couple of boomers in a B7 Alpina mocked what "6.0" on my trunk meant and laughed when I explained it was the displacement of the motor. They wouldn't make eye contact when I let them pull up along side me after I freight trained them (forgot to mention to them my heads/cam/supercharger on top of my my 6.0L V8). That shit is fun.

On the flip side, you slathered Type-S badges all over this new car and talked it up all over the internet. Now that the figures are out, you know there are going to be pimply kids in their STi's, Accords, CTRs, K5 GTs, etc looking to run you. Me, personally, I can't justify dropping $53k on a performance car that gets outgunned from a roll from a Kia K5 GT. Whether it be actually racing or simply trying to pass them on the highway. Sure, I want a car that's more comfortable to drive day-to-day, but performance is still near the top of my priorities when shopping for my next car.

[My reasoning may be flawed, but both the Kia G5 GT & CTR have worse 0-60 times, but their 100MPH and 130MPH times are actually quicker than the Type-S ... remove the hassle of launching a FWD car and from a roll, these quicker times [i]should mean that these cars are going to put some distance on the Type-S, assuming gearing isn't then an issue. By the same logic, looks like the Type-S will still beat the Accord 2.0T and STi, thankfully.]
Thank you, Thank you. As the only one actually mentioned in his #71 post in "THX Sucks thread" post, a similar rant, you saved me from writing an eloquent response. For all those who want to kick us "haters: (the most stupid word use ever invented) off the site if, you count noses there would not be very many left here. Then maybe crickets are the goal.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-25-2021 at 09:11 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
04WDPSeDaN (07-25-2021), Acuraaaw (07-27-2021), Ghostof TypeS Past (07-25-2021), leomio2.0 (07-25-2021), pyrodan007 (07-25-2021), someguy11 (07-25-2021), vhtran (07-26-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-25-2021, 09:22 AM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghostof TypeS Past
For years this has been a place to visit, when I have a problem or question about my Acura, there’s several people that have too and we find a solution and share it.

I don’t care if you had a 1991 Integra and you’ve moved on to another manufacturer. The trash talk on here needs to cease. The whole “TLX Sucks” and “other manufacturers are better” is nonsense.

This is a community of ownership. The sole purpose of the existence of the make and model threads is ownership. The only exception is people looking for advice or feedback for an Acura model they’re looking to purchase.

There’s another discussion forum you can go to and discuss which car is better or how the expectations of a car you are not purchasing have not been met.

Seriously tired of the disrespect of certain members in this community on the Acura brand.

I’m taking a stand for the brand. Many others will too. Get back to the purpose of this site and leave the garbage out.

PS… there is a private message feature you guys can have at it all day in…
You joined this forum 3 weeks ago and are lecturing us about what this forum has been for years lol...

What was your contribution to this forum over all those years? You're not supposed to have more than one account and you can't communicate without one so which option below describes you, and you got a grand total of two:

1. You had an account, got belligerent and banned.
2. You're lying about contributing to this forum for years.
The following 3 users liked this post by loki:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-25-2021), Ghostof TypeS Past (07-25-2021), vhtran (07-26-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 09:40 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by SRB-TL
You joined this forum 3 weeks ago and are lecturing us about what this forum has been for years lol...

What was your contribution to this forum over all those years? You're not supposed to have more than one account and you can't communicate without one so which option below describes you, and you got a grand total of two:

1. You had an account, got belligerent and banned.
2. You're lying about contributing to this forum for years.
I noticed this too. A few days ago right here, he said he's been reading our posts for years now. I doubt anyone in the history of forums has spent years lurking without signing up or contributing a single thought - especially someone like this guy with so much to say.
The following 3 users liked this post by someguy11:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-25-2021), Ghostof TypeS Past (07-25-2021), vhtran (07-26-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 02:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by someguy11
I noticed this too. A few days ago right here, he said he's been reading our posts for years now. I doubt anyone in the history of forums has spent years lurking without signing up or contributing a single thought - especially someone like this guy with so much to say.
As an admitted outsider who has only owned a TLX for three months, I find the anti-Acura stance of this forum to be mystifying. I get the anger at the failure to meet expectations on the Type S in particular, but it blows my mind to see every positive comment is shouted down immediately. The notion that it's ok to be hateful towards Acura products because you've been on this board a long time is kind of weird to me. Now that I don't drive a BMW, I don't go over to the bimmerfest forum and dump on BMW's just because I posted there for seven years.
The following 7 users liked this post by flatlandtlx:
a35tl (07-25-2021), ConradValmont (07-27-2021), CoquiTSX (07-26-2021), Furnace (07-26-2021), Ghostof TypeS Past (07-25-2021), Honda430 (07-25-2021), wassystyle (07-25-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-25-2021, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 225 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlandtlx
As an admitted outsider who has only owned a TLX for three months, I find the anti-Acura stance of this forum to be mystifying. I get the anger at the failure to meet expectations on the Type S in particular, but it blows my mind to see every positive comment is shouted down immediately. The notion that it's ok to be hateful towards Acura products because you've been on this board a long time is kind of weird to me. Now that I don't drive a BMW, I don't go over to the bimmerfest forum and dump on BMW's just because I posted there for seven years.
Things overall here have turned extremely negative on the type S. Have even seen a current 2021 TLX owner trashing the type S pretty good which even surprised me. I imagine eventually almost everyone will get their disappointment or Acura dislike out of their system, the wait for the type S was well past a decade so there was a lot of pent up energy out there and expectation levels got way too high. Hell, even the last type S was only 28 or so HP more than the base TL so it's not like Acura doesn't have a history. There are some people that just prefer Acura over other brands and even like the type S and are very happy with their purchase, nothing at all wrong with that and choosing it over one of the other brands. Those buying now get the joy of buying a new car they really like and the agony of reading about it on the forums for weeks.
The following 2 users liked this post by jhb31:
Ghostof TypeS Past (07-25-2021), wassystyle (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 04:24 PM
Instructor

Just to clarify - I’ve never had a reason to join the forum - I had nothing to contribute previously however very gracious that over the years so many have contributed to problems/ fixes/ questions that were out there.

I joined after buying the Type S because I now have something to contribute - real life feedback and I’m also able to answer any questions someone might have about dealer experience, the car in general or problems that may come up with ownership.

Much respect to all the users over the years that have done so much for this community however some of what I’ve seen lately is just flat out unnecessary.

Like is said: Let’s get back to the purpose.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kense
Would you go on a McDonalds forum and defend a multi billion dollar company and get mad that people chose Burger King because they are disappointed with the food at McDonalds?
I don’t eat McDonald’s but if I was a member of their forum I would sure as heck challenge people with their “why get a burger from them when for the same price BK has a toasted bun for 10% more.”
Old 07-25-2021, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Received 337 Likes on 118 Posts
What's the purpose? To circle jerk about how much we love Honda/Acura while not critically thinking or discussing any of their flaws? You can be a fan of a brand or company without joining a cult and thinking they do no wrong. Who spends fifty grand on a product for the brand and does no critical thinking on the product itself? I have a very high opinion of Honda overall, as I bet almost everyone here does, but the difference between you and the ones you're upset with for 'talking shit' are that they are critically thinking about what the company they like is producing and you're just blindly in love because it's Acura and they can do no wrong and you'll do whatever mental gymnastics are required to convince others and perhaps more importantly, though you'll never admit it, yourself that the thing you just spent fifty grand on is the best possible use of that money.

Cars are subjective, like it anyways? Great buy it and enjoy it. Don't pretend it's flaws don't exist and nobody should discuss or point them out though. The company can't get better if all we do is lap up the kool-aid blindly.
The following 5 users liked this post by DubPK:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-25-2021), ELIN (07-25-2021), Ghostof TypeS Past (07-25-2021), pyrodan007 (07-25-2021), someguy11 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 04:56 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by DubPK
What's the purpose? To circle jerk about how much we love Honda/Acura while not critically thinking or discussing any of their flaws? You can be a fan of a brand or company without joining a cult and thinking they do no wrong. Who spends fifty grand on a product for the brand and does no critical thinking on the product itself? I have a very high opinion of Honda overall, as I bet almost everyone here does, but the difference between you and the ones you're upset with for 'talking shit' are that they are critically thinking about what the company they like is producing and you're just blindly in love because it's Acura and they can do no wrong and you'll do whatever mental gymnastics are required to convince others and perhaps more importantly, though you'll never admit it, yourself that the thing you just spent fifty grand on is the best possible use of that money.

Cars are subjective, like it anyways? Great buy it and enjoy it. Don't pretend it's flaws don't exist and nobody should discuss or point them out though. The company can't get better if all we do is lap up the kool-aid blindly.
Can you perhaps tell us what the car's flaws are? Not being as fast from 0-60 as some other model is not a flaw.
The following 2 users liked this post by Honda430:
Ghostof TypeS Past (07-25-2021), wassystyle (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 04:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
I don’t eat McDonald’s but if I was a member of their forum I would sure as heck challenge people with their “why get a burger from them when for the same price BK has a toasted bun for 10% more.”
Huh?
Old 07-25-2021, 05:08 PM
Instructor

you'll do whatever mental gymnastics are required to convince… yourself that the thing you just spent fifty grand on is the best possible use of that money.

Cars are subjective, like it anyways? Great buy it and enjoy it.
Appreciate ya. I have a little more than $62k wrapped up in it. As mentioned above, I could have just got a used Porsche, but I didn’t. If I did I would be on the Porsche forum.

It’s a very nice car tho. I can’t recommend it based on longevity but for now. It’s a good package and me personally coming from a Honda only family and as a Honda only driver, It’s the top level sedan they make so I bought it. That’s not really debatable. Well done Honda!!
Old 07-25-2021, 05:22 PM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
Just to clarify - I’ve never had a reason to join the forum - I had nothing to contribute previously however very gracious that over the years so many have contributed to problems/ fixes/ questions that were out there.

I joined after buying the Type S because I now have something to contribute - real life feedback and I’m also able to answer any questions someone might have about dealer experience, the car in general or problems that may come up with ownership.

Much respect to all the users over the years that have done so much for this community however some of what I’ve seen lately is just flat out unnecessary.

"For years this has been a place to visit, when I have a problem or question about my Acura, there’s several people that have too and we find a solution and share it."

You said you were asking questions and finding answers and sharing them. Now you're saying you had nothing to ask or contribute. As the POTUS would say, come on maaaan...
The following users liked this post:
Ghostof TypeS Past (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Honda430
Can you perhaps tell us what the car's flaws are? Not being as fast from 0-60 as some other model is not a flaw.
  • Overpriced.
    • This conclusion can be reached because other cars in the $50,000-$60,000 segment have more features and more performance for the money.
  • Poorly packaged.
    • Rear seat space.
    • Lacks features found in its cheaper sister car such as rear charge ports, wireless AA/CP, etc.
  • Poor performance.
    • Everything at the same price point smokes it.
    • Honda Accord is nearly as fast, this isn't acceptable when it's a $50,000+ dollar performance sedan pitted against a $35,000 dollar generic family sedan.
  • Outdated infotainment.
    • Other manufacturers made the touchpad mistake and learned from it already, Acura is five years behind the curve.
  • Lacks features from Advanced trim.
    • This would be less of an issue if it delivered on performance but since it doesn't it's just Acura cheaping out for the sake of cheaping out, car lacks the value proposition it promised.

Just to name some of the things but as I've said a billion times cars are subjective ,like it anyways or don't care about those flaws by all means buy it and enjoy it and congrats to each and every single one of you that bought one.
The following 3 users liked this post by DubPK:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-25-2021), loki (07-26-2021), pyrodan007 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 05:37 PM
Instructor

"For years this has been a place to visit, when I have a problem or question about my Acura, there’s several people that have too and we find a solution and share it."

You said you were asking questions and finding answers and sharing them. Now you're saying you had nothing to ask or contribute. As the POTUS would say, come on maaaan...
I think you may be looking for something else than what I was trying to say - by we I meant the community not me personally. Sorry for the misdirection here. I was speaking for the community as a whole. But for me personally, the “visit” verbiage is my history here.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:41 PM
Instructor

• Overpriced.
  • Poorly packaged.
  • Poor performance.
  • Outdated infotainment.

… by all means buy it and enjoy it and congrats to each and every single one of you that bought one.
I wouldn’t consider those flaws but more a comparison or your dislike of features/packaging.

Flaws are more like: the paint robots didn’t paint the hood latch and missed the door hinges on mine.

The last part is the best! Thanks for the well wishes! See! That’s the spirit!!

Last edited by Ghostof TypeS Past; 07-25-2021 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:44 PM
Instructor

Also, never said I was asking questions. Literally, if I had a question about my car, I googled it and was directed here, to which there was an answer almost every time. The only thing I never figured out was my nav drive on the ol’ TL. Cleaned, replaced, never got it working again.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:44 PM
Instructor

I wouldn’t consider those flaws but more a comparison or your dislike of features/packaging.

Flaw are more like: the paint robots didn’t paint the hood latch and missed the door hinges on mine.

The last part is the best! Thanks for the well wishes! See! That’s the spirit!!
See my point about mental gymnastics but I do sincerely wish you the best and hope you enjoy your purchase.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:52 PM
Pro

• Overpriced.
    • This conclusion can be reached because other cars in the $50,000-$60,000 segment have more features and more performance for the money. - We adddressed this yesterday. The competition other than the Koreans cost $10K more when comparitively equipped.
  • Poorly packaged.
    • Rear seat space. - I don't need it and other don't either. This is only a flaw is you need the room. I don't need it so this isn't a flaw to me.
    • Lacks features found in its cheaper sister car such as rear charge ports, wireless AA/CP, etc. - According to you no one can sit back there so why should they have their own charging ports. By the way there are 3 charging ports in the center storage compartment so it's easy enough to provide power to the folks in the back seat if needed.
  • Poor performance.
    • Everything at the same price point smokes it. - Only a flaw for folks that are stop loss warriors. Not everyone is.
    • Honda Accord is nearly as fast, this isn't acceptable when it's a $50,000+ dollar performance sedan pitted against a $35,000 dollar generic family sedan. - An accord is faster than a 330I which also cost $50K+. Somebody mentioned that a Scat Pack does a 4 second 0-60 and only cost $42K so obviously it's better than everything in the segment other than the M340i.
  • Outdated infotainment.
    • Other manufacturers made the touchpad mistake and learned from it already, Acura is five years behind the curve. - I've stated this before I don't like touchscreens in cars and I'm sure I'm not alone here. The infotainment system has a learning curve, but it's far from outdated.
    • This would be less of an issue if it delivered on performance but since it doesn't it's just Acura cheaping out for the sake of cheaping out, car lacks the value proposition it promised. - It lacks a HUD and on US versions a surround camera. Of course you don't have to pay for these either. You do know that you can't upgrade the audio system no matter how much you want to pay for a M340i nor can you add any wheel over 18" and you got to live with or replace the run flats.

Just to name some of the things but as I've said a billion times cars are subjective ,like it anyways or don't care about those flaws by all means buy it and enjoy it and congrats to each and every single one of you that bought one.
My responses are bolded above.
The following 4 users liked this post by Honda430:
CoquiTSX (07-26-2021), flatlandtlx (07-25-2021), Ghostof TypeS Past (07-25-2021), wassystyle (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 05:55 PM
Instructor

I don't care...
Same.
The following 2 users liked this post by DubPK:
04WDPSeDaN (07-25-2021), loki (07-26-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 05:59 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dubpk
same.
😂😂😂😂😂
The following 2 users liked this post by Honda430:
Ghostof TypeS Past (07-25-2021), loki (07-26-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 06:25 PM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
Can we just give Acura the "We Try Harder" award and move on with our lives?
Old 07-25-2021, 06:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Wow, I am really surprised at all the emotion around this car. I am shocked people thought this car was going to be a class leading sports sedan. It was pretty obvious when the 2G TLX was released and we assumed the Type-S was going to have around 350HP. What did people expect? We knew Acura was already trying to keep costs under control when they removed some features from the Advance. The have an E Class / 5 series sized sedan with 355HP and everyone was expecting AMG like performance for around $55K.

This car was targeted for mainstream person that wants a realistic sports sedan, if that person wanted a BMW car they would have bought a BMW. If the Type-S were priced as much as a comparable BMW they would not sell as many because the BMW name would have taken the sale all things being equal for many people. I get it many people were hoping for more and are disappointed and lashing out. Just like everything today extremely divisive stands from people.

With everything else going on in the world we seem to be fortunate to be so hung up debating this car.
The following 7 users liked this post by KeithL:
a35tl (07-25-2021), CoquiTSX (07-26-2021), flatlandtlx (07-25-2021), Ghostof TypeS Past (07-25-2021), Honda430 (07-25-2021), jhb31 (07-25-2021), wassystyle (07-25-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-25-2021, 06:37 PM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
I'm hopeful the next Type S thread is an Owner's one with participation from actual owners.
The following 2 users liked this post by ELIN:
Ghostof TypeS Past (07-25-2021), jhb31 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ELIN
I'm hopeful the next Type S thread is an Owner's one with participation from actual owners.
There is one - it’s completely derailed with talks of other manufacturers being a better buy.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KeithL
Wow, I am really surprised at all the emotion around this car. I am shocked people thought this car was going to be a class leading sports sedan. It was pretty obvious when the 2G TLX was released and we assumed the Type-S was going to have around 350HP. What did people expect? We knew Acura was already trying to keep costs under control when they removed some features from the Advance. The have an E Class / 5 series sized sedan with 355HP and everyone was expecting AMG like performance for around $55K.

This car was targeted for mainstream person that wants a realistic sports sedan, if that person wanted a BMW car they would have bought a BMW. If the Type-S were priced as much as a comparable BMW they would not sell as many because the BMW name would have taken the sale all things being equal for many people. I get it many people were hoping for more and are disappointed and lashing out. Just like everything today extremely divisive stands from people.

With everything else going on in the world we seem to be fortunate to be so hung up debating this car.
About what I expected as well as far as performance as well. They came in lower on cost than a lot of early predictions but there was a cost to that. Anyway if you didn't know better you would think this was the absolute worst car Acura ever made and probably will not be produced after this year as nobody likes it.
The following 3 users liked this post by jhb31:
Ghostof TypeS Past (07-25-2021), KeithL (07-25-2021), wassystyle (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 08:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jhb31
Things overall here have turned extremely negative on the type S. Have even seen a current 2021 TLX owner trashing the type S pretty good which even surprised me. I imagine eventually almost everyone will get their disappointment or Acura dislike out of their system, the wait for the type S was well past a decade so there was a lot of pent up energy out there and expectation levels got way too high. Hell, even the last type S was only 28 or so HP more than the base TL so it's not like Acura doesn't have a history. There are some people that just prefer Acura over other brands and even like the type S and are very happy with their purchase, nothing at all wrong with that and choosing it over one of the other brands. Those buying now get the joy of buying a new car they really like and the agony of reading about it on the forums for weeks.
First I am the last to tell you how to sped your money as I don't want you telling me how to spend mine. I will tell you how I spend mine.

Second, the reason expectations were high was Acura was pouring gasoline on the normal expectations fire. It was not the guys here having unreasonable expectations & making shit up it was Acura marketing dropping hints & suggestions over the 11 years that caused the high level of expectations.

You also need to understand the original TX-S was not what its current image is. It was a stop gap to halt sliding sales in the last two years of Generation III. Was not anymore superior to its contemporaries than the TLX-S of today. Its legend has grown among the faithful to greatly exceed its reality.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
Acuraaaw (07-27-2021), loki (07-26-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 08:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 26 Posts

You pretty much nailed why I bought a TLX A-Spec. For just a few bucks over $40k, I got an amazing looking car that drives pretty danged well. With the incentives that I got, it was an amazing deal. It isn't as fast as the G70 3.3T or the 340i but it's well over $10k cheaper than I could buy either one of those cars and the extra speed wasn't that important to me. I did like the comment above about the Honda vs the 330i. That Accord is an amazing car if you don't mind the awkward exterior appearance and the comparatively more economy interior.

For me, I don't mind the people that are critical of the Type S, but I don't understand the G70 and other fanboys posting here. If someone loves their G70 that much, head over to the Hyundai board and circle jerk there. Trolling this board just to brag that they love their car is beyond my comprehension.
The following 4 users liked this post by flatlandtlx:
CoquiTSX (07-26-2021), Ghostof TypeS Past (07-25-2021), loki (07-26-2021), wassystyle (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 09:15 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts

Great post Keith as usual. Do I wish my Type S was faster, of course but would I pay an extra 10K for the extra speed - NO. I would just get S5 SB and call it a day....
Old 07-25-2021, 09:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Not going to waste much of my time here with your responses just a quick response.

The price point of the M340 you rigged up to match the TLX-S was I believe you stated about $64,000 give or take. The OP said "I have a little more than $62k wrapped up in it." Now that might be a base price + ADM or with tints whatever but at the end of the day its still $62,000. That would make the M340 less expensive in the real world. You generally get something off just walking in the door.... I got $3K with just an email inquiry a few days ago. Makes no sebse playing the my MSRP VS Your MSRP. Now I know he wanted a TLX-S but had he desired he might have driven away in $73,000 MSRP Z4 M40i for about to the same money or maybe a base M3 with an MSRP of $69,900

Last you said "M340i nor can you add any wheel over 18" and you got to live with or replace the run flats."

There are 3 different 18" wheels designs two come with RFT one with Non-Run Flat Tires. The Non-Run Flat tire is part of a specific performance package. There are 8 different 19" wheel designs. They are $600 a set. There are 2 High Performance Non Run Flat tires, 2 Performance RFT, 4 All season RFT. Thing you might not be aware of are many people buying performance wheels & tires prefer a smaller diameter wheel & tire. Additionally, a guy who lives in a pothole land like NYC prefer a smaller wheel because the larger side wall prevents the cracking the larger wheels experience on bad pavement.

Just to throw a tiny bit of look at me, head turning, photo taking, thumps up & parking lot/ gas station questions. My wheels are 17".

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-25-2021 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:35 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Not going to waste much of my time here with your responses just a quick response.

The price point of the M340 you rigged up to match the TLX-S was I believe you stated about $64,000 give or take. The OP said "I have a little more than $62k wrapped up in it." Now that might be a base price + ADM or with tints whatever but at the end of the day its still $62,000. That would make the M340 less expensive in the real world. You generally get something off just walking in the door.... I got $3K with just an email inquiry. Makes no sebse playing the my MSRP VS Your MSRP. Now I know he wanted a TLX-S but had he desired he might have driven away in 73,000 MSRP Z4 M40i for about to the same money or maybe a base M3 with an MSRP of $69,900

Last you said "M340i nor can you add any wheel over 18" and you got to live with or replace the run flats."

There are 3 different 18" wheels designs two come with RFT one with Non-Run Flat Tires. The Non-Run Flat tire is part of a specific performance package. There are 8 different 19" wheel designs. They are $600 a set. There are 2 High Performance Non Run Flat tires, 2 Performance RFT, 4 All season RFT. Thing you might not be aware of are many people buying performance wheels & tires prefer a smaller diameter wheel & tire. Additionally guy who live in pothole land like NYC prefer a smaller wheel because the larger side wall prevents the cracking the larger wheels experience on bad pavement.

Just to throw a tiny bit of look at me, head turning, photo taking, thumps up & parking lot/ gas station questions. My wheels are 17".

Bear, I went with the configurator. I couldn’t find the wheels. I estimated $64K by throwing in cost for upgraded audio and 20” wheels. Based on your build I probably only overshot by about $500. At this point with the S being new the only way to apple up so to speak is to compare MSRP. In six months maybe less there will be Type S discounts available to offset the discount on the M340i.

Last edited by Honda430; 07-25-2021 at 09:41 PM.
BEAR-AvHistory (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 09:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Bear, I went with the configurator. I couldn’t find the wheels. I estimated $64K by throwing in cost for upgraded audio and 20” wheels. Based on your build I probably only overshot by about $500.
Don't care at all about the $600 cost of the 19" i added 19" to all my BMW's that did not have them stock. what I do car about is the information that there is only one set of wheels for the car. Lots of brands do that while BMW does not, even with the 2 series.

Interesting the select wheels button is right next to the select color button & should someone miss that there is a large blue rectangle at the bottom right of the page that says next / wheels. There is a half page picture of the front of the car that shows what the wheels look like on the car as you select them. The full page picture of the car on the paint select will also show wheel choices.

Don't know it this will take but its the page URL

M340-Wheel selection
Old 07-25-2021, 09:58 PM
Pro

Don't care at all about the $600 cost of the 19" i added 19" to all my BMW's that did not have them stock. what I do car about is the information that there is only one set of wheels for the car. Lots of brands do that while BMW does not, even with the 2 series.

Interesting the select wheels button is right next to the select color button & should someone miss that there is a large blue rectangle at the bottom right of the page that says next / wheels. There is a half page picture of the front of the car that shows what the wheels look like on the car as you select them. The full page picture of the car on the paint select will also show wheel choices.

Don't know it this will take but its the page URL

M340-Wheel selection
Bear, are you using your phone?
Old 07-25-2021, 10:26 PM
Burning Brakes

First I am the last to tell you how to sped your money as I don't want you telling me how to spend mine. I will tell you how I spend mine.

Second, the reason expectations were high was Acura was pouring gasoline on the normal expectations fire. It was not the guys here having unreasonable expectations & making shit up it was Acura marketing dropping hints & suggestions over the 11 years that caused the high level of expectations.

You also need to understand the original TX-S was not what its current image is. It was a stop gap to halt sliding sales in the last two years of Generation III. Was not anymore superior to its contemporaries than the TLX-S of today. Its legend has grown among the faithful to greatly exceed its reality.
Most manufacturer over hype their cars, some more than others. I never bought a car based on an ad. When they announced the HP numbers on the current type S given the size and weight of the car I certainly wasn't expecting it to be faster than what it turned out to be. I also remember people were thinking it would be closer to 60k than 50k. As for the prior TL-S the 3rd gen wasn't the first type S from Acura but certainly the most popular and despite not being "compelling" as you say with the modest HP bump but people really enjoyed the car and with the ability to look back it turned out to be a super reliable car, fun to drive (imo) inexpensive to maintain over time and held it's value exceptionally well (compared to the non s variant and most similar cars out back then). Most people that had them really liked them and if they didn't they were not difficult to sell at all. I hope those that purchased this version enjoy the same as time goes on. Once incentives kick in and supply catches up I think it will be a pretty good value overall. Luckily for those that want a faster car they can go to another brand.

There are things about the tlx that I dislike more than the 0-60 time but what people like and dislike varies. Nothing wrong with bringing up dislikes or opinions on the car as I have been critical as well Just some points have been beaten to death over and over again to the point that even a positive thread inevitably ends up going to crap and at some point people that buy the car may just wash their hands of the forum and that isn't a great thing either. Not pointing to anyone specific and I have probably done my share as well.

As for telling you how to spend your money I am pretty sure that didn't happen.
silverTL6 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 10:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Bear, are you using your phone?
No am on the computer. Does the thing show different on the phone?
Old 07-25-2021, 10:47 PM
Pro

No am on the computer. Does the thing show different on the phone?
I think it does. When I was trying to use it the pages were taking forever to load.
BEAR-AvHistory (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 10:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jhb31
Most manufacturer over hype their cars,.............................As for telling you how to spend your money I am pretty sure that didn't happen.
Agree, in market land at least when I was working it was known as "Puffery". What I am trying to say maybe not very well is Acura played on an image of a car that in its day was a good car, a competitive car but not an outstanding car. I read a lot of expectations of the new TLX-S that were based on an unreal image of the original (My Bad) car. It turned into a legend but in its day the legend met the dawning of the practical turbo cars.

I think the BHP/Weight thing was ignored by a lot of guys, remember the Acura is under stating the power like BMW does. Why would anyone make that statement that did not have a vision of a high performance car. They got that image because Acura fed them steady diet of crap. Look at all the low 4 mid 12 guess that were posted because the "real" power was more than 355. IMHO Acura went much further than puffery & well into a con job. You saw the plane pictures on the photo shopped Acura last lite.

Actually the money thing has come up more than once, usually attached to the cars I drive, but again its the internet. I will just say I am happy with my toys.

Quick Reply: Get Back to the Purpose