Get Back to the Purpose

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 10:54 PM
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 35 Posts
Yes $62k includes wheels, all weather floor mats, wheel warranty, front bumper PPF and tax. That’s before the tint, side skirts and wheel locks about to go on it. No ADM at my dealer although that was the excuse of giving $0 for incentives or negotiation.

@BEAR-AvHistory was that $3k off you mentioned on a Type S? If so (too bad so sad for me) your email verbiage may help some others knock a few bucks off!

By the way - I never saw any of the comparison marketing against other manufacturers, so I had no expectation other than this is “The New Type S.” All I saw about the car was a quickie teaser in 2019 and the one that followed in 2020. What sold me was going from the 2.0T to the 3.0T in what my eyes see as the best looking vehicle Acura has ever made.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghostof TypeS Past
Yes $62k includes wheels, all weather floor mats, wheel warranty, front bumper PPF and tax. That’s before the tint, side skirts and wheel locks about to go on it. No ADM at my dealer although that was the excuse of giving $0 for incentives or negotiation.

@BEAR-AvHistory was that $3k off you mentioned on a Type S? If so (too bad so sad for me) your email verbiage may help some others knock a few bucks off!

By the way - I never saw any of the comparison marketing against other manufacturers, so I had no expectation other than this is “The New Type S.” All I saw about the car was a quickie teaser in 2019 and the one that followed in 2020. What sold me was going from the 2.0T to the 3.0T in what my eyes see as the best looking vehicle Acura has ever made.
Agree on the looks they did a great job with it. Only issue I have with the body is I think the exhaust finishers are too big. On the $3000 I was talking about BMW pricing not Acura. Was trying to match the numbers HONDA430 put up in his post as we were going back & forth.

Dealers here are pretty much MSPR for the TLX-S as there are a few close together. They as well as the BMW dealers are trying the ceramic, nitrogen number but quickly back off when you say you don't want it.

I am shopping for my daughter now so am reasonably close to what's in the market.

What we have in the triangle Raleigh, Cary, Durham are two Humongo & one smaller operation that have all the makes covered. Deals on all cars here are a lot tighter than they were.
The following users liked this post:
Ghostof TypeS Past (07-25-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 12:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 225 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
\
Actually the money thing has come up more than once, usually attached to the cars I drive, but again its the internet. I will just say I am happy with my toys.
As I said earlier, I don't recall telling you how to spend your money or anything about your choice in vehicles. If I have it was not intentional but I suspect you conflated it with someone else's comment/s along the line.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jhb31
As I said earlier, I don't recall telling you how to spend your money or anything about your choice in vehicles. If I have it was not intentional but I suspect you conflated it with someone else's comment/s along the line.
Light turns on. We are talking across each other. I was responding about the forum in general, "the things overall here", not to you specifically at all. Sorry you thought that. You lead off with "Things overall here have turned extremely negative on the type S."
Old 07-26-2021, 07:40 AM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by DubPK
  • Overpriced.
    • This conclusion can be reached because other cars in the $50,000-$60,000 segment have more features and more performance for the money.
  • Poorly packaged.
    • Rear seat space.
    • Lacks features found in its cheaper sister car such as rear charge ports, wireless AA/CP, etc.
  • Poor performance.
    • Everything at the same price point smokes it.
    • Honda Accord is nearly as fast, this isn't acceptable when it's a $50,000+ dollar performance sedan pitted against a $35,000 dollar generic family sedan.
  • Outdated infotainment.
    • Other manufacturers made the touchpad mistake and learned from it already, Acura is five years behind the curve.
  • Lacks features from Advanced trim.
    • This would be less of an issue if it delivered on performance but since it doesn't it's just Acura cheaping out for the sake of cheaping out, car lacks the value proposition it promised.

Just to name some of the things but as I've said a billion times cars are subjective ,like it anyways or don't care about those flaws by all means buy it and enjoy it and congrats to each and every single one of you that bought one.
I honestly couldn't have written this any better. Nailed it.
BEAR-AvHistory (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 08:32 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlandtlx
You pretty much nailed why I bought a TLX A-Spec. For just a few bucks over $40k, I got an amazing looking car that drives pretty danged well. With the incentives that I got, it was an amazing deal. It isn't as fast as the G70 3.3T or the 340i but it's well over $10k cheaper than I could buy either one of those cars and the extra speed wasn't that important to me. I did like the comment above about the Honda vs the 330i. That Accord is an amazing car if you don't mind the awkward exterior appearance and the comparatively more economy interior.

For me, I don't mind the people that are critical of the Type S, but I don't understand the G70 and other fanboys posting here. If someone loves their G70 that much, head over to the Hyundai board and circle jerk there. Trolling this board just to brag that they love their car is beyond my comprehension.
OK.

So the inputs of others who have posted regarding the TLX-S vs price point, options, performance ect have all valid facts. It's not just talking out of their asses.. For the life of me, why are you offended over valid opinions? I do not wish to get involved with any more debates with Honda430 (No attack to you J), but respectfully, you and the 3 or 4 others are going against the grain to defend this vehicle or the brand and ignore the facts for what they truly are. If you wish to make such statements as "circle jerk" and "trolling" then you can't get upset when these guys comment on your posts and basically "shit all over you" but with valid facts. As I stated before, this website isn't for you (clearly) and the only group that you will fit in, is the 2nd gen TLX facebook page. There's nothing more than the same minded individuals who eat, breath, sleep Acura or in this case TLX / TLX-S. I wish you the best, Acurazine is not for you.

Last edited by 04WDPSeDaN; 07-26-2021 at 08:35 AM.
someguy11 (07-26-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 10:27 AM
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
OK.

So the inputs of others who have posted regarding the TLX-S vs price point, options, performance ect have all valid facts. It's not just talking out of their asses.. For the life of me, why are you offended over valid opinions? I do not wish to get involved with any more debates with Honda430 (No attack to you J), but respectfully, you and the 3 or 4 others are going against the grain to defend this vehicle or the brand and ignore the facts for what they truly are. If you wish to make such statements as "circle jerk" and "trolling" then you can't get upset when these guys comment on your posts and basically "shit all over you" but with valid facts. As I stated before, this website isn't for you (clearly) and the only group that you will fit in, is the 2nd gen TLX facebook page. There's nothing more than the same minded individuals who eat, breath, sleep Acura or in this case TLX / TLX-S. I wish you the best, Acurazine is not for you.
I don't mind people saying that they expect more from Acura. I don't mind realistic criticisms of Acura. Hell, this is the first one that I've ever owned and based on how inconsistent the cell phone interface is.....it may be the last if the dealer doesn't get it figured out. What I don't get are the people who no longer drive an Acura on here bragging about their G70's and other cars. If I wanted to hear about the G70, I'd head over to the Genesis board to talk about it.

You can say that Acurazine isn't for me....and maybe it isn't, but every non-Acura owner that lurks around here crapping on the brand is someone that needs to re-evaluate their life. Again, I owned BMW's for 7 years and spent all of those years as a member of the Bimmerfest forum. I don't go over to that forum and bag on BMW reliability or depreciation. Nobody wants to hear a rant from an ex-BMW on there and a lot of people look at these threads and wonder why some of the posters even post on here. I am not alone in my confusion on why some folks still hang around. They've moved on from the Brand but seem to be addicted to the forum I guess.
The following 2 users liked this post by flatlandtlx:
Ghostof TypeS Past (07-27-2021), Honda430 (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 11:13 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
I own an acura. I can still crap on the Type-S

the board is a community. it doesnt matter what car you have...we are friends.
thus the harsh criticisms.

it just doesnt matter what car you own...

Why would one want to surround yourselves with "Yes men"?
by having others tell the truth fosters growth.
"yes men" will always tell you what you want to hear...and that's not how people grow.
we love this board because it has a diverse group of people.
diversity breeds growth.

Last edited by justnspace; 07-27-2021 at 11:17 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by justnspace:
04WDPSeDaN (07-27-2021), ELIN (07-27-2021), Ghostof TypeS Past (07-27-2021), Kense (07-27-2021), pyrodan007 (07-27-2021), someguy11 (07-27-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-27-2021, 11:22 AM

I also think you guise (type-s owners) do it to yourselves...
instead of making a community geared towards showing off your cars, modifications, help and fixes, you all are constantly defending your purchases.
who the fuck cares if someone doesnt agree with your choices? (insecure people, that's who)

There is an "Ignore" button. press it and you will never see those people's posts again. I recommend some to use it.

Last edited by justnspace; 07-27-2021 at 11:25 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by justnspace:
04WDPSeDaN (07-27-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (07-27-2021), Edward'TLS (07-27-2021), Kense (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 03:01 PM
Instructor

What if you don’t have Facebook?
Old 07-27-2021, 03:04 PM

dafuq? i dont have facebook.. dafuq does that have to do with anything?
04WDPSeDaN (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 03:19 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
instead of making a community geared towards showing off your cars, modifications, help and fixes, you all are constantly defending your purchases.
who the fuck cares if someone doesnt agree with your choices? (insecure people, that's who)

There is an "Ignore" button. press it and you will never see those people's posts again. I recommend some to use it.
The problem really in this 2G TLX forum is that almost every new thread has morphed into a "Acura vs Audi" and/or "Acura vs BMW" discussions, and in some cases, personnel attacks.

I believe most members will want to see dedicated threads (free of "Acura vs xxx" arguments) that discuss useful topics such as vehicle availability, tips for price negotiation, buying experience, problems and issues, DIY how to fix, undocumented features, modifications, wheel/tire upgrades, etc., etc.; just like back in the good old days.

Please keep the forum this way.

Old 07-27-2021, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
The problem really in this 2G TLX forum is that almost every new thread has morphed into a "Acura vs Audi" and/or "Acura vs BMW" discussions, and in some cases, personnel attacks.

I believe most members will want to see dedicated threads (free of "Acura vs xxx" arguments) that discuss useful topics such as vehicle availability, tips for price negotiation, buying experience, problems and issues, DIY how to fix, undocumented features, modifications, wheel/tire upgrades, etc., etc.; just like back in the good old days.

Easy way to keep my face out of BMW, AUDI, Genesis etc of a "PURE TLX-TLX-S" is to have the members not mention them. Just talk about the Acura stuff. As soon as they mention them & its open season. Anyone really surprised?

Old 07-27-2021, 03:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts

The 1G TLX forums weren't roses and chocolates either though. Many complained about the crap ZF9, vibration and Christmas tree dashboard issues. Mainly about Acura's non-stellar after-sales support. In fact, that was the catalyst for many members to leave/switch to other brands and completely mistrust Acura for initial quality/reliability. The 2G TLX forums follows in mistrusting Acura for model updates related to ergonomics and performance. Not sure about reliability yet, but judging from the generalized puddle lights issue it's not a 100% green light either.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 07-27-2021 at 03:49 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
04WDPSeDaN (07-27-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (07-27-2021), someguy11 (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 03:48 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
I'm afraid the VCM may also cause problems. That and the return of the belt are not things that make me want to buy a car I will likely keep more than a dozen years at a minimum.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mike03a3
I'm afraid the VCM may also cause problems. That and the return of the belt are not things that make me want to buy a car I will likely keep more than a dozen years at a minimum.
What belt?
Old 07-27-2021, 04:30 PM
Air Vice Marshal

What belt?
The new V6 has returned to a belt to drive the cams.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:36 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
FWIW, every Honda V6 (except for racing motors) have used timing belts. Even Honda GoldWing flat six has a timing belt
Don't like them either, not fun to replace.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 07-27-2021 at 04:42 PM.
Ghostof TypeS Past (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 04:52 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
FWIW, every Honda V6 (except for racing motors) have used timing belts. Even Honda GoldWing flat six has a timing belt
Don't like them either, not fun to replace.
You're right, my bad. I was thinking of the 4 cyl that had changed .
Old 07-27-2021, 05:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Ouch. In my '06 TL was sold before the recommended mileage was hit. The belt was rated for less than 100,000 miles & a bitch to change. Got pricy because as long as you were doing a change there were a few other things you could replace at the same time doing the same work. Was recommended you replace the water pump, idler rollers, and tensioner while you are doing this job.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-27-2021 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:32 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

That's why I love you Justin!

My ignore list keeps on growing and hopefully they do the same in return.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:32 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
This is funny. Folks that are consistently recommending the purchase of $60K+ BMWs and Audis are complaining about an $800 service needed on an Acura every 100K miles. I got it, since no one keeps the Germans pass the warranty period actually paying for service on a car comes as a shock to some people. 😂😂😂
motlagh (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 05:38 PM

Honda340 always making it personal.

04WDPSeDaN (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 05:45 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Edward, follow the posts and you will see where the personal attacks start. It's exactly as Justin stated.. If you think Acurazine is bad on personal attacks, try that TLX FB page.

Biggest issue is, it's not 2006 anymore. The car community isn't the same. What some call enthusiasts aren't nearly enthusiast. It's a different world we live in. Everyone is right, we all get trophies, good times only, don't kill my vibe.. In the past you would post up pictures of your ride and have mixed responses and everything was taken as constructive criticism. Today you make a statement like "I don't like the TLX-S" and here comes the internet gang-bang from keyboard warriors to stomp you down. It's becoming a sad joke at this point. Why a lot of us now stick to private groups and zoom nights.
Ghostof TypeS Past (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 05:46 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Honda340 always making it personal.
I gave up on him, he's also on my ignore list.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:48 PM
Pro

I gave up on him, he's also on my ignore list.
And I thought we were now amigos. I’m disappointed.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Honda430
This is funny. Folks that are consistently recommending the purchase of $60K+ BMWs and Audis are complaining about an $800 service needed on an Acura every 100K miles. I got it, since no one keeps the Germans pass the warranty period actually paying for service on a car comes as a shock to some people. 😂😂😂
Different demographic. Ideal for people who like a new car every few years. Some can be special kept the 2004 330Ci ZHP Convertible for 10 years & over 125,000 miles. Put about $1,100 out of pocket outside of tires. Current 2013 135IS convertible has almost 90,000 miles on it & about $50 out of pocket + $110 alloy charge pipe when I blew up the original one.

You keep circling back to the money, makes no sense. The German cars appeal to people who can afford to turn them over for new. Can't see an executive showing up for a board meeting in a 15 year old luxury car. They are luxuries - disposable for new when the spirit moves you.

You are just beating a dead horse. A lot of the younger guys here as they progress in their careers will move to the German cars it happens every month just look a the membership changes.
04WDPSeDaN (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 05:53 PM
Pro

Different demographic. Ideal for people who like a new car every few years. Some can be special kept the 2004 330Ci ZHP Convertible for 10 years & over 125,000 miles. Put about $1,100 out of pocket outside of tires. Current 2013 135IS convertible has almost 90,000 miles on it & about $50 out of pocket + $110 alloy charge pipe when I blew up the original one.

You keep circling back to the money, makes no sense. The German cars appeal to people who can afford to turn them over for new. Can't see an executive showing up for a board meeting in a 15 year old luxury car. They are luxuries - disposable for new when the spirit moves you.

You are just beating a dead horse. A lot of the younger guys here as they progress in their careers will move to the German cars it happens every month just look a the membership changes.
Bear, I wasn’t the one grousing about the cost of a timing belt change you were.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:09 PM

Bear, I wasn’t the one grousing about the cost of a timing belt change you were.
but you made it personal.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:14 PM
Pro

but you made it personal.
I didn’t make it personal because all my references to posters were in general. I purposely did not point to anyone specifically. All I did was to call attention to the irony that was inherent in the opinion being expressed.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:22 PM

^stop that subliminal bullshit. we all knew who you were talkin about
Old 07-27-2021, 06:23 PM

and then you addressed him here.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:37 PM
Pro

and then you addressed him here.

No, I responded to him there. 🤔
Old 07-27-2021, 06:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 225 Posts
The VCM if like the 1st gen TLX V6 can be easily defeated. It seems a bit early to worry about the belt replacement which for most people will likely be close to the year 2030. I would guess only a small number of buyers now will still have it by then. With the push towards electric who can know what the cost of owing an ICE vehicle may be if the government starts making it financially costly to drive one over the next 10 years or even worse prohibits it. I may be wrong but I think California has already announced the phaseout of all passenger ICE vehicles in the not too distant future.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:08 PM

No, I responded to him there. 🤔
c'mon, get back to the purpose.
you're holding us back
The following 3 users liked this post by justnspace:
04WDPSeDaN (07-28-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (07-27-2021), Ghostof TypeS Past (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 09:33 PM
Suzuka Master

I was grousing over $800 really? My avatar picture cost me more than that.

I just said OUCH for a totally unnecessary expense, I am not the one buying the value leader you are, so nothing out of my pocket. I wonder how many people who buy this car for long term reliability like the fact that maybe they have the only 3.0 DOHC performance engine made today with rubber instead of a chain driven cam timing system. That if its like previous Acura V6 engines they will have to replace their rubber drive belt in 90,000-100,000 miles. A timing chain should last the life of the car if the oil changes are done on time.

Sorry I missed all the fun, your comment was at me & a pretty silly one at that. You have a habit of reducing everything to Nickle & Dimeing. Went down to Mexico for some empanadas. Cruising along with the roof down listing to the oldies. When this big bad all black Dodge Hemi started pulling up to me revving engine & making loud muffler noise.

He finally got what he wanted both of us at a traffic light in Nogales. While he was noise making I worked my idle up to 1200 on the cross streets yellow light to get the pinwheel spinning. Green light - the old fart cuts a perfect light with a hole shot that cleared him before his front came up. Well we can't let that old man in that little foreign car do that to a Dodge Hemi so instead of driving it out he hits the panic button & I see enough smoke to win a burnout contest. Time to slow down had hit 60. Dodge turns left at the first available turn off on the divided highway before the next traffic light.

Back to cruising & listing to the radio, picked up my empanada's & cruised back home.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-27-2021 at 09:37 PM.
04WDPSeDaN (07-28-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 09:43 PM
Instructor

dafuq? i dont have facebook.. dafuq does that have to do with anything?
It was mentioned above if you want to love Acura you have to go to Facebook.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:48 PM
Instructor

I wonder how many people who buy this car for long term reliability like the fact that maybe they have the only 3.0 DOHC performance engine made today with rubber instead of a chain driven cam timing system.
I bought my TL with 120,000mi and drove it straight from the guys house to the Acura Dealer for timing belt and a few other things they recommended (necessary since they were already in there). $1,400. Doesn’t matter how much it cost to me, it’s maintenance. Sold the car at 197k mi.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:50 PM
Instructor

On the same note, I wonder how many people buy an Acura, join this forum and like that they have to deal with a bunch of non-Acura BS… probably more than those that care about the cost of timing belts.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:03 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Edward, follow the posts and you will see where the personal attacks start. It's exactly as Justin stated.. If you think Acurazine is bad on personal attacks, try that TLX FB page.

Biggest issue is, it's not 2006 anymore. The car community isn't the same. What some call enthusiasts aren't nearly enthusiast. It's a different world we live in. Everyone is right, we all get trophies, good times only, don't kill my vibe.. In the past you would post up pictures of your ride and have mixed responses and everything was taken as constructive criticism. Today you make a statement like "I don't like the TLX-S" and here comes the internet gang-bang from keyboard warriors to stomp you down. It's becoming a sad joke at this point. Why a lot of us now stick to private groups and zoom nights.
I too know that this is the 2021's, and everyone can participate in every public forum and express their views and ideas in every directions. This is the reason why I didn't suggest blocking or locking any of the "Acura vs xxx" discussions in "Acura vs xxx" specific threads. All that I ask is to keep the "Acura vs xxx" discussions within the "Acura vs xxx" threads, and not to pollute other 2G TLX informative threads for those members who only want to learn and share idea about he 2G TLX.

The following 2 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
04WDPSeDaN (07-28-2021), Ghostof TypeS Past (07-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Get Back to the Purpose