Before i call acura service....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 11:21 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Before i call acura service....

Actually, I hope this thread will help others who want to get answers without talking to dealership service....

Back in the Acura fold with a new ‘21 TLX A-Spec SH-AWD. Had the previous gen TLX, but that’s been gone for nearly 2 years (replaced with a Kia Stinger). I’m relatively familiar with Acuras as I’ve had TLs and now another TLX. This new one is very, very different than the others.

Trying to figure out a few things....

-Stereo....man, does this one sound great....better than anything I’ve heard in any car, at any price. However, if I try to set up the parameters to tailor the sound to “driver”, all I get is the left speaker(s) working while the rest seem to be silent. Same goes for (iPHone) calls. Only the left speakers work. Not a big deal, unless others in the car need/want to hear the conversation. Normal? If not, what am I missing (other than a trip to the dealer).

-GF drives my car every once in a while. She LOVES all the safety nannies. But, she complained she had to turn them on every time she gets in the car. Is there a way to turn all of that on without hitting any buttons every time the car is started?

-Auto wipers.....I guess they work all the time and not just when it’s raining? Seems they start up even when it’s sunny and dry. That isn’t a very good auto wiper system if it can’t tell if there is rain on the windshield.

Thanks in advance! Glad to be back!
Old 04-26-2021, 11:46 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
I think your "driver" sound setting is working as intended. From the Owners Manual:

You can change where the sound comes from by selecting one of the speaker options below:
• Full Vehicle: All the speakers emit sound.
• Driver Only: Allows driver to listen to the audio system while maintaining a quieter environment for the other occupants.
• Front Only: Allows front seat occupants to listen to the audio system while maintaining a quieter environment for occupants in the rear.
Rear Only: Allows rear seat occupants to listen to the audio system while maintaining a quieter environment for occupants in the front.

You shouldn't have to turn all the "safety nannies" on every time you start the car. Check your settings.

I don't think our Technology trim has the auto wipers (I'll have to check) but again, from the Owners Manual:

"When the wiper function is set to AUTO, you can adjust the sensitivity of the rainfall sensor (using the adjustment ring) so that wipers will operate in accordance with your preference."

Before you call Acura Service, click here.

Last edited by robnalex; 04-26-2021 at 11:54 AM. Reason: addition
Old 04-26-2021, 11:53 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Stereo is normal, if all you want is the driver; go through the settings; I keep mine on ALL, because I listen to 5.1 USB recordings
As far as safety, Auto Idle Stop, MUST be engaged, every time you start the car; there is NO work around
As for the wipers, make SURE they're in the OFF position; I promise they'll NEVER turn on in sunshine!
Enjoy your ride
Old 04-26-2021, 01:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by graphicguy

-GF drives my car every once in a while. She LOVES all the safety nannies. But, she complained she had to turn them on every time she gets in the car. Is there a way to turn all of that on without hitting any buttons every time the car is started?
My experience is with a different Acura.

Most setting are per-driver, but some are for whole vehicle.

If it doesn't work just pressing the "Driver 2" button after getting in car, then try letting her use KeyFob #2 (start by approaching vehicle and unlocking with it).
Old 04-26-2021, 03:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Each key has its' own vehicle setting. Make sure that key 2 is recognized, and then set the setting the way she wants it
Old 04-27-2021, 07:31 AM
Drifting

Received 1,231 Likes on 890 Posts
Actually, I hope this thread will help others who want to get answers without talking to dealership service....

Back in the Acura fold with a new ‘21 TLX A-Spec SH-AWD. Had the previous gen TLX, but that’s been gone for nearly 2 years (replaced with a Kia Stinger). I’m relatively familiar with Acuras as I’ve had TLs and now another TLX. This new one is very, very different than the others.

Trying to figure out a few things....

-Stereo....man, does this one sound great....better than anything I’ve heard in any car, at any price. However, if I try to set up the parameters to tailor the sound to “driver”, all I get is the left speaker(s) working while the rest seem to be silent. Same goes for (iPHone) calls. Only the left speakers work. Not a big deal, unless others in the car need/want to hear the conversation. Normal? If not, what am I missing (other than a trip to the dealer).

-Auto wipers.....I guess they work all the time and not just when it’s raining? Seems they start up even when it’s sunny and dry. That isn’t a very good auto wiper system if it can’t tell if there is rain on the windshield.

Thanks in advance! Glad to be back!
1) I think the stereo is acting normally. Choosing "driver only" is just very odd. Why would you do this? Change it to "front" to at least get stereo back if you don't like surround sound.

2) If your GF is using the 2nd keyfob, all the settings should be custom to that keyfob. She may have inadvertently turned the safety stuff off and then set the memory. Once she has everything to the way she wants them, have her press "Set" and then "2" on the driver side door panel (assuming you as the owner have customized to Keyfob "1"). Just make sure your "1" keyfob is not on you when she's doing this or the system may be confused!

3) The A-Spec doesn't have auto wipers. Only the Advance trim has that feature. This was one of my peeves in a nearly $50k car.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:07 AM
10th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Only had my TLX for a week or so, but agree on a few points I've seen.

Wife will rarely drive the TLX, but setting her up on "Driver 2" has been great. We have two Fords with this option and has been pretty nice to hop in, and at least have the seat settings all done.

I also just turn my wipers to "off". Have had happen a few times they just turned on. Never forgot to turn my wipers on when it started raining in all the years I've been driving, wont forget in this car.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:15 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gingrbredman
Only had my TLX for a week or so, but agree on a few points I've seen.

Wife will rarely drive the TLX, but setting her up on "Driver 2" has been great. We have two Fords with this option and has been pretty nice to hop in, and at least have the seat settings all done.

I also just turn my wipers to "off". Have had happen a few times they just turned on. Never forgot to turn my wipers on when it started raining in all the years I've been driving, wont forget in this car.
Replied to your post in the other thread. Go through the posts of other owners and please share your thoughts when you're ready. I admit the 2nd gen TLX forum as a whole is not very active but there are quite a bit of owners out there and we are growing!
Old 04-27-2021, 09:11 AM
Pro

Thanks for the input, all. Very helpful. Odd that something so easy as having the wipers come on when the sensor “sees” moisture on the windshield would be something that wasn’t included. IIRC, my Gen 1 did that automatically. It’s a nit, but an obvious cost cutting measure, particularly given the sensor is already installed.

Again, I’ve been away for a while. But, my previous TLX allowed for the stereo parameters to change based on how I wanted it to sound in the cabin. Strange to have just the speakers on the driver’s side work as a way to somehow make the sound “less bothersome” to a the passengers, especially when making a phone call. It’s not like they can’t hear the stereo or the hands free phone function given they’re only seated a foot or two away from the driver.

Overall, glad to be back in the Acura fold, though.

@CPR wondering how you got 5.1 onto a thumb drive? That has to sound amazing. I still have quite a few DVD-A and STS multi-channel disks that I used when I had a TL which could decode them.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:26 AM
Drifting

@CPR wondering how you got 5.1 onto a thumb drive? That has to sound amazing. I still have quite a few DVD-A and STS multi-channel disks that I used when I had a TL which could decode them.
The RDX owners have been doing it since 2018 and have the same infotainment (for the most part) as us. Here's the most helpful thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...p-step-971819/

Last edited by ELIN; 04-27-2021 at 09:29 AM. Reason: updated link to correct thread
Old 04-27-2021, 08:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ELIN
The RDX owners have been doing it since 2018 and have the same infotainment (for the most part) as us. Here's the most helpful thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...p-step-971819/
thanks so much!
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (04-27-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 09:03 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
I'm clueless; had an acquaintance, hook me up with 5.1 bliss; Elton John /GBYBR, in Blu-Ray audio, is incredible
Beatles/Love, Sergeant Pepper, & White album, are amazing
One drawback; when you utilize a USB, you CANNOT use Apple Car Play
No Waze, Google Maps, Apple Maps, etc.
Acura Navigation is way better than it's been in the past, but still can't compare, with the better Nav. apps
6 of one; half a dozen of the other; too bad you can't utilize both at the same time
Old 04-28-2021, 09:10 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CPR
One drawback; when you utilize a USB, you CANNOT use Apple Car Play
No Waze, Google Maps, Apple Maps, etc.
Acura Navigation is way better than it's been in the past, but still can't compare, with the better Nav. apps
6 of one; half a dozen of the other; too bad you can't utilize both at the same time
If it makes you feel any better, the new MDX owners with wireless CP/AA can't use both at the same time either!
The following users liked this post:
CPR (04-28-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 08:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts
If you have Amazon Prime you can do a 3 month free trial of their “Unlimited” service which includes what they are calling HD, Ultra HD, and 3D music. Info is here:
Amazon Amazon

I just signed up for it and downloaded some of the HD and 3D music and have to say it sounds amazing in my A-Spec played through Apple Car Play.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:23 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ApexBlue
If you have Amazon Prime you can do a 3 month free trial of their “Unlimited” service which includes what they are calling HD, Ultra HD, and 3D music. Info is here: https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=14070322011

I just signed up for it and downloaded some of the HD and 3D music and have to say it sounds amazing in my A-Spec played through Apple Car Play.
It's been discussed in other threads but understand that your iPhone is the limitation and why you won't get better than CD quality sound or hear the 3D (multichannel) music even though the TLX is capable. I was an Amazon Music HD subscriber for a month and was disappointed that the iPhone is the weakest link in the "HQ audio" chain. When playing tracks on your phone, click on the "HD" or "3D" logo in the app and it will tell you the track's capabilities vs your phone's capabilities.

The only way to get HQ and/or multichannel audio is by converting your SACD/DVD-A/BD-Audio to FLAC and play them through a USB stick. You can also get an external DAC for your iPhone but that's usually more work/money than most people are willing to go.
The following 4 users liked this post by ELIN:
ApexBlue (04-30-2021), graphicguy (04-30-2021), Jrvtecaccord (04-30-2021), Tesla1856 (04-30-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 07:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
It's been discussed in other threads but understand that your iPhone is the limitation and why you won't get better than CD quality sound or hear the 3D (multichannel) music even though the TLX is capable. I was an Amazon Music HD subscriber for a month and was disappointed that the iPhone is the weakest link in the "HQ audio" chain. When playing tracks on your phone, click on the "HD" or "3D" logo in the app and it will tell you the track's capabilities vs your phone's capabilities.

The only way to get HQ and/or multichannel audio is by converting your SACD/DVD-A/BD-Audio to FLAC and play them through a USB stick. You can also get an external DAC for your iPhone but that's usually more work/money than most people are willing to go.
Yeah, seems you’re right. I had not really researched it that much and figured I’d take advantage of the 3 month free trial.

It definitely does sound better than Sirius, but I guess that’s just the difference between compressed and “cd quality” tracks.

Just for fun I purchased and downloaded a few albums from HD Tracks onto a USB drive and they do sound significantly better than the Amazon HD music.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:28 AM
Pro

Another quick question….does anyone else have an iPhone connected via USB to the ELS and hear a consistent “beep” come through the system while driving?