Base TLX or TLX Type S

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 03:52 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Agree its stupid to condemn a car thats not even on the road or 3rd party tested yet. The only thing I will say is what I always have said the advertised power numbers have no meaning they are advertising things developed by the marketing people.

BMW Z4 M40i Advertised 382BHP

On 91 octane gas the chassis dynos are shown 399WHP thats power to the wheels. With a 10% loss in power due to internal friction etc the crank horsepower estimate is 438BHP. The cars run 3.8 seconds to 60 (I've done 3.9 on my Draggy with 93 octane) & 12.2 @116mph quarter miles. This supports the fact that these car do not have only 382BHP. Since thier MB & Audi competitors will run with them it also suggests they are not playing with as low powered engines as the adds would suggest.

The M340 & Toyota Supra that have the same engine run similar numbers.
My guess is that the base TLX AWD 2.0 will do 0-60 in 5 seconds. The TLX Type S will be in the low to mid 4"s. Strangely similar to the Audi A4 & S4 don't you think ?
Old 08-29-2020, 04:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
What exactly are we missing besides the reviews? If the Type-S would be listed today in a web comparison tool, it wouldn't win any areas. Is it worth it to potential shoppers, that's up to the dealers to not screw up the pricing. Right now, it's just meh which is pretty bad for a new sports car.
Pretty bold statements. I don't know really what you mean by " won't win any areas " From what I've been reading, it has all the ingredients of a great sports sedan. There are other things about a car that make it great other than raw power. It might not be THE fastest of the bunch, but I'm sure it will hold it's own. I just wonder if your taking swipes at it because it's a Japanese car.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by TVL65
I have a 07' Type S And it gets worse in the summer when it suffers from heat soak.
I've never heard of that so I looked it up. Not sure why a 2007 Acura sedan would have that problem.

I would question if the cooling system is working 100% properly. The Honda/Acura cooling systems are usually over-built.
They will still work fine even with a failing component. You will only see a problem when pushed-hard (like in the Summer time).

I worked-thru a similar problem with my 1994 Honda Accord 2rd-Coupe Vtec . If you end-up keeping it and/or have a thread started, I could post in it
Old 08-29-2020, 04:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by lowgrowl
Pretty bold statements. I don't know really what you mean by " won't win any areas " From what I've been reading, it has all the ingredients of a great sports sedan. There are other things about a car that make it great other than raw power. It might not be THE fastest of the bunch, but I'm sure it will hold it's own. I just wonder if your taking swipes at it because it's a Japanese car.
Put it this way, remove price then what becomes it major strong point. BMW has engine, Audi has interior. Acura has ... missing options and small interior.
Old 08-29-2020, 05:07 PM
Racer

Put it this way, remove price then what becomes it major strong point. BMW has engine, Audi has interior. Acura has ... missing options and small interior.
The 3 series and A4 both have small interiors. I've sat in them and they're not huge. Acura makes great engines and the new interior looks real sweet. What important options do you think the TLX will lack ?
Old 08-29-2020, 07:51 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
The Audi S4 has 349 HP and the BMW & MB are about 380 HP. The Type S they say will be about 350. So they're all in the same ballpark. I haven't seen a full list of the specs yet, being that the car won't be released until next spring. I think it would be wise to wait until you know more about the car and actually drive it. It's not right to say at this time that it's a dog.
Audi S4 - 349HP/369TQ - 0-60 : 4.3s - 5-60 : 5.3s - Curb Weight: 3,847lbs
BMW M340i - 382HP/369Tq - 0-60 : 3.5s - 5-60 : 4.7s (RWD) - Curb Weight: 3,968lbs
M-B C43 AMG -
385HP/384TQ - 0-60 : 4.1s - 5-60 : 5.1s - Curb Weight: 3,979lbs

Those are the big numbers that are going to show how the car performs, at least in a straight line. BMW is obviously underrated. It's basic physics at that point. All cars are turbocharged, in some fashion, with a 3.0L 6cyl engines.

TLX-S - 355HP/354TQ, Curb Weight: 4,000+lbs

Unless there's some dramatic weight reduction (highly unlikely, nigh impossible), it's going to be the heaviest in the crowd. Even the G70 3.3T AWD comes in under 3,900lbs. With the larger engine, the TLX-S is more than likely to come in heavier than the Advance that already tips the scale over 4,000lbs. So, similar power but 200lbs than the S4 makes it slower than the S4. SH-AWD is not better at launches than Audi's Quattro system. It's very plain to see. TLX-S will likely do 0-60 in the mid-high 4s range. How you figure the 2G TLX A-Spec will do 0-60 in 5s is beyond me, and quite telling. It has almost identical weight to the 3G RDX with the same engine and drivetrain. Reduce a bit of time for suspension and aero and you're likely looking at high 5s range (3G RDX does it in 6.4s).

You say why is everyone picking on the car? Well, by the same token, why are you defending it? Acura, at every turn, has made this vehicle a disappointment with each specification its revealed. The only thing I've been blown away by was the exterior styling of it. Features (tho, I don't care much about this personally), power, price and now weight. You bring back the Type S name, you do some BS, cheesy advertising with the term "Yea, it's FAST" (or something similarly stupid) and talk about how you're focusing on performance as a brand. Then you bring something to market that isn't even as good as vehicles that have been available for 3+ yrs and are in their own phases of getting refreshed, likely with more power, more features, less weight, etc. That's not to mention I can go out right now and pick up an M340i Xdrive for less than what the TLX-S will sticker at, which no dealer is going to be willing to sell it under for for the first year or so. It's a lackluster effort and quite honestly embarrassing for the brand. They knew what the benchmarks were throughout development of this vehicle and they still failed to surpass, or even match them.
The following 4 users liked this post by leomio85:
ESHBG (08-29-2020), pyrodan007 (08-29-2020), SebringSilver (08-30-2020), Speed Guy (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 33 Posts
Definitely interested in testing the TLX when it comes out, while impatiently waiting for the Type-S and still driving a 2015 IS350 so I went and test drove a 2020 S4 Prestige today to see if I could make a low mileage lease work. Virtual Cockpit was quite impressive, very minimal turbo lag, and the low-down push when accelerating was addictive. Only took the car for a test drive for a few miles but found it to be very comfortable. They definitely need a full redesign for the A/S4 for the new touchscreen system to be integrated within the interior layout. The one I test drove had a $64K sticker.

I was very explicit that I was looking to be around $550/month with $5K down before I ever came in for a test drive. I nearly fell out of the chair when the salesman came back with the following 'offer':
36 months - $892.33/month
39 months - 893.42/month
42 months $875.44/month

Pretty piss poor experience with the luxury brand, needless to say, the conversation was over very quickly. Definitely soured my opinion of the brand which is disappointing after how much I liked the car.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:09 PM
Burning Brakes

The 3 series and A4 both have small interiors. I've sat in them and they're not huge. Acura makes great engines and the new interior looks real sweet. What important options do you think the TLX will lack ?
Having had both the TLX and A4, I can assure you the A4 has a much more functional interior space. If the new TLX has the same volume, I can't see it being better.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
The Advance model has pretty good feature parity with the Germans except for the lack of a full digital dash, but the Type-S lacks quite a few features that you can get on the M340xi/S4/C43 AMG. It has been discussed ad nauseam, but off the top of my head they are:
Fully digital dash
HUD
Power folding mirrors
Heated rear seats
Heated steering wheel
Puddle lamps
Remote start
Fog lights

Most of these can be forgiven if this is purely a performance car (I certainly wouldn't lose sleep missing out on these in a Corvette), but Acura markets this as a luxury performance car. And with the performance aspect even being called into question, not being able to fall back on the luxury side of things like Audi is able to do is quite disappointing.

If I were to buy this car, I would either get the Advanced package and be happy knowing that I got almost all the features that I'd expect to get in this class, or save some money and just get the Tech package. I'd skip the A-Spec because you're just paying for some aero bits on top of the Tech package; it's basically a poser spec for someone who would rather have the Type-S, but either convinced themselves they didn't need a Type-S or couldn't afford a Type-S. To quote Richard Hammond: "The only reason you buy a Boxster A-Spec TLX, the only reason, is because you couldn't afford a 911 Type-S. That's it."

Last edited by fiatlux; 08-29-2020 at 10:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pyrodan007 (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 10:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fiatlux
The Advance model has pretty good feature parity with the Germans except for the lack of a full digital dash, but the Type-S lacks quite a few features that you can get on the M340xi/S4/C43 AMG. It has been discussed ad nauseam, but off the top of my head they are:
Fully digital dash
HUD
Power folding mirrors
Heated rear seats
Heated steering wheel
Puddle lamps
Remote start
Fog lights

Most of these can be forgiven if this is purely a performance car (I certainly wouldn't lose sleep missing out on these in a Corvette), but Acura markets this as a luxury performance car. And with the performance aspect even being called into question, not being able to fall back on the luxury side of things like Audi is able to do is quite disappointing.
Completely agree the packaging misses for the Type-S are bad. Just playing devil's advocate, no ventilated seats on any 3-series, can only get it on the S4 if you lose the aggressive one-piece quilted seats with pneumatic bolsters and massaging features (confusing trade-off). Audi heated steering wheel/rear seats deletes the flat-bottom steering wheel as well.

Not defending Acura's decisions but even the Germans force us to make, albeit smaller, trade-offs unless you get an absurdly expensive C43, which is then just a larger financial trade-off.

Last edited by CollinR4; 08-29-2020 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Arrow Audi Leasing

Originally Posted by CollinR4
1. test drove a 2020 S4 Prestige today. The one I test drove had a $64K sticker
2. I was very explicit that I was looking to be around $550/month (low mileage lease) with $5K down before I ever came in for a test drive.
3. salesman came back with 'offer' for $900/month

4. They definitely need a full redesign for the A/S4 for the new touchscreen system to be integrated within the interior layout. .
1. Sounds about right (if close to online-build price) . Nice sedan (but pricey) ... and props for going straight to the Prestige.
2. Yeah, they don't really listen to that part.
3. Audi is fairly unapologetic for their pricing. It gets even higher in Finance-Office.

When the 2021's are released, you can probably save a few thousand (if it's still there).
To get near that monthly payment, I think you have to put-down closer to $15k
I'm assuming your credit-score is "high" (ie, good-to-excellent).

4. If I understand correctly, this came-up in my thread here.
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-.../#post16621114

Last edited by Tesla1856; 08-29-2020 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:56 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 845 Likes on 526 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
Audi S4 - 349HP/369TQ - 0-60 : 4.3s - 5-60 : 5.3s - Curb Weight: 3,847lbs
BMW M340i - 382HP/369Tq - 0-60 : 3.5s - 5-60 : 4.7s (RWD) - Curb Weight: 3,968lbs
M-B C43 AMG -
385HP/384TQ - 0-60 : 4.1s - 5-60 : 5.1s - Curb Weight: 3,979lbs

Those are the big numbers that are going to show how the car performs, at least in a straight line. BMW is obviously underrated. It's basic physics at that point. All cars are turbocharged, in some fashion, with a 3.0L 6cyl engines.

TLX-S - 355HP/354TQ, Curb Weight: 4,000+lbs

Unless there's some dramatic weight reduction (highly unlikely, nigh impossible), it's going to be the heaviest in the crowd. Even the G70 3.3T AWD comes in under 3,900lbs. With the larger engine, the TLX-S is more than likely to come in heavier than the Advance that already tips the scale over 4,000lbs. So, similar power but 200lbs than the S4 makes it slower than the S4. SH-AWD is not better at launches than Audi's Quattro system. It's very plain to see. TLX-S will likely do 0-60 in the mid-high 4s range. How you figure the 2G TLX A-Spec will do 0-60 in 5s is beyond me, and quite telling. It has almost identical weight to the 3G RDX with the same engine and drivetrain. Reduce a bit of time for suspension and aero and you're likely looking at high 5s range (3G RDX does it in 6.4s).

You say why is everyone picking on the car? Well, by the same token, why are you defending it? Acura, at every turn, has made this vehicle a disappointment with each specification its revealed. The only thing I've been blown away by was the exterior styling of it. Features (tho, I don't care much about this personally), power, price and now weight. You bring back the Type S name, you do some BS, cheesy advertising with the term "Yea, it's FAST" (or something similarly stupid) and talk about how you're focusing on performance as a brand. Then you bring something to market that isn't even as good as vehicles that have been available for 3+ yrs and are in their own phases of getting refreshed, likely with more power, more features, less weight, etc. That's not to mention I can go out right now and pick up an M340i Xdrive for less than what the TLX-S will sticker at, which no dealer is going to be willing to sell it under for for the first year or so. It's a lackluster effort and quite honestly embarrassing for the brand. They knew what the benchmarks were throughout development of this vehicle and they still failed to surpass, or even match them.
Just a quick observation. The accord 2.0t 10at does 5.5s for 0 to 60. The heavier tlx but with slightly more power and more grippy tires may be about the same in terms of acceleration. The accord 2.0t with 40000 miles on the clock actually got faster in the long term test as it's officially a 13 second car trapping at 104mph. That trap speed is especially telling as it's noticeably ahead of other 2.0t competitors.

The key here is whether Acura will neuter the engine performance for the sh awd model like the rdx awd to protect the drive train. The fwd rdx is noticeably faster while the rdx awd is only doing low 6's for 0 to 60. Not sure if Acura has updated the torque capacity of the awd system for the tlx.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by iforyou
Just a quick observation. The accord 2.0t 10at does 5.5s for 0 to 60. The heavier tlx but with slightly more power and more grippy tires may be about the same in terms of acceleration. The accord 2.0t with 40000 miles on the clock actually got faster in the long term test as it's officially a 13 second car trapping at 104mph. That trap speed is especially telling as it's noticeably ahead of other 2.0t competitors.

The key here is whether Acura will neuter the engine performance for the sh awd model like the rdx awd to protect the drive train. The fwd rdx is noticeably faster while the rdx awd is only doing low 6's for 0 to 60. Not sure if Acura has updated the torque capacity of the awd system for the tlx.
Assuming we believe the 252hp rating for the Accord (it's likely underrated), the TLX would have to make about 300hp in order to have the same power to weight ratio, given that the SH-AWD model is a whopping 600lb heavier than the Accord 2.0T Touring. The TLX is half a bag of rice lighter than the equivalent RDX, which makes me suspect we'll likely get the same acceleration figures unless they stopped pulling power in the lower gears to protect the driveline.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
1. Sounds about right (if close to online-build price) . Nice sedan (but pricey) ... and props for going straight to the Prestige.
2. Yeah, they don't really listen to that part.
3. Audi is fairly unapologetic for their pricing. It gets even higher in Finance-Office.
Fair enough, glad I didn't get to the finance office then. I think I was mostly frustrated at the waste of my time, it felt like a used car dealership tactic that has no place being pulled by a luxury brand, I certainly never experienced anything like that with Lexus. Also, from a sheer numbers standpoint, no way I'm paying over 57% of the retail price of a car for the opportunity to drive it 21,000 miles over three years.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:40 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Assuming we believe the 252hp rating for the Accord (it's likely underrated), the TLX would have to make about 300hp in order to have the same power to weight ratio, given that the SH-AWD model is a whopping 600lb heavier than the Accord 2.0T Touring. The TLX is half a bag of rice lighter than the equivalent RDX, which makes me suspect we'll likely get the same acceleration figures unless they stopped pulling power in the lower gears to protect the driveline.
Yea I'm pretty sure the accord is underrated, but thats probably the case for the tlx too since they are the same engine but with different tunes.

The accord 2.0t is 34xx lb and the tlx fwd is 3700lb. Pretty similar here. The awd us heavier for sure so I don't think the trap speed will be quite as fast as the accord at 104mph. Depending on how hard one can launch the car, may be 0 to 60 may be stronger if it's not torque limited to protect the awd system.

Knowing Acura though, the launch will probably be weak.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
With the 10 speed transmission the "S" could pull a C8 Corvette trick & gear specifically for 0-60 sprint & still have good over the road performance in fuel economy. The C8 will kill a lot of faster cars off the line & up to 60MPH (2.8 seconds 1 foot rollout) then watch them drive by in the 1/8 mile. GM did a good job at figuring out 90% of the StingRays will never see a track or drag strip but street cred will be tested every day.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CollinR4
1. Fair enough, glad I didn't get to the finance office then.

2. I think I was mostly frustrated at the waste of my time, it felt like a used car dealership tactic that has no place being pulled by a luxury brand, I certainly never experienced anything like that with Lexus.

3. Also, from a sheer numbers standpoint, no way I'm paying over 57% of the retail price of a car for the opportunity to drive it 21,000 miles over three years.
1. It's nothing bad, I just meant Extended Warranties and what-not ... which would affect total financed amount.

2. You wanted to test-drive a S4 and they let you. It could have been a S7 or S8. They know that having the money and not wanting to spend it is different than not being able to afford it.
If I like something the best, and I can afford it, I usually just buy it now-days (life is short).

3. I think many here are thinking of Leasing an Acura, so I will keep typing.
We should start a thread to talk about Leasing strategies. Also Leasing vs Buying (and selling/trading in 3-5 years while car is still "worth something").
Thinking of the vehicle as more of an Asset instead of a long-term rental (and then walk-away to the next one).

That deal sounds a little high, but hard to say without knowing Residual Value (end of 36-month lease - buy-out value) and other parameters.
CollinR4 (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

3. I think many here are thinking of Leasing an Acura, so I will keep typing.
We should start a thread to talk about Leasing strategies. Also Leasing vs Buying (and selling/trading in 3-5 years while car is still "worth something").
Thinking of the vehicle as more of an Asset instead of a long-term rental (and then walk-away to the next one).
I think buying may be the most beneficial if you think you may not like the car. Having had two leases now, the next one will for sure be a purchase. You can walk away whenever you want. But that also includes losing when selling car. Leasing is not the easiest either, breaking it can cost a fortune and finding a person to take over almost always involves extra cash to prostitute deal.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:56 PM

This is why Acura will never be a true performance contender. Their drivetrain is designed for maximizing fuel economy rather than performance or robustness. Even their ATF 2.0 fluid used in the 10AT is advertised to maximize fuel economy ... which probably means it has a very low viscosity at the cost of longevity. If this same fluid is used in the Type S, you can be assured that transmission isn’t going to hold up well with the added power, especially with a tune/increased power.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:58 PM
Instructor

That deal sounds a little high, but hard to say without knowing Residual Value (end of 36-month lease - buy-out value) and other parameters.
I'd love to see a thread like that, the math isn't the hard part for me, it's the actual negotiation that I struggle with as an introvert which is why I simply walked away yesterday. I was very upfront about what I was looking to achieve and the offer he presented was too far from what I was even realistically willing to pay and eliminated the entire part that I told him I was looking for. My goal was to get money back out of my Lexus while it has a fair amount of value before it continues to depreciate and cover the down payment on a lease and get money back. The majority of that money is meant to be put on my mortgage with the goal of paying it off in the next calendar year while finding a vehicle to drive that I enjoy in the interim.

I wasn't even provided any of the finer details on the offer, money factor, etc. which was a clear sign that this was not on the up and up.

Last edited by CollinR4; 08-30-2020 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Type S, you can be assured that transmission isn’t going to hold up well with the added power, especially with a tune/increased power.
IIRC, in the official video ... they said the Transmission will be "beefed up" in the Type-S .
Old 08-30-2020, 04:27 PM
Safety Car

IIRC, in the official video ... they said the Transmission will be "beefed up" in the Type-S .
That implies that the regular version's transmission couldn't handle the extra torque, which means for all those people who are running tuned 2.0Ts expecting to have it last...godspeed.

As I mentioned in other threads, I don't think it's actually an issue with the transmission itself, but probably the SH-AWD component of the driveline. The dyno graphs for an RDX with SH-AWD shows that there's a dip in the torque curve in lower gears, whereas that same dip doesn't exist in the Accord 2.0T dyno graphs. Other than that, the graphs look similar, as well they should seeing as how it's the same engine.

Last edited by fiatlux; 08-30-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:27 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

This is why Acura will never be a true performance contender. Their drivetrain is designed for maximizing fuel economy rather than performance or robustness. Even their ATF 2.0 fluid used in the 10AT is advertised to maximize fuel economy ... which probably means it has a very low viscosity at the cost of longevity. If this same fluid is used in the Type S, you can be assured that transmission isn’t going to hold up well with the added power, especially with a tune/increased power.
FWIW Honda recommends 0W20 oil for the CTR, even though it's pretty much the best in class.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:38 PM
Safety Car

FWIW Honda recommends 0W20 oil for the CTR, even though it's pretty much the best in class.
BMW also used to recommend 15K mile oil change intervals, and we all know how that turned out. Manufacturers will recommend what's good for them, not necessarily what's good for the owner. In the case of Honda, every car they currently sell uses the same oil filter and same oil, most likely for cost savings. Most CTR owners are running 5W40 or at least 5W30 because 20 is just way too thin for such a strung out motor, especially at high temperatures or at the track. Unless a UOA proves otherwise, I wouldn't feel comfortable with 20 weight oil for a car that sees that much boost.
leomio85 (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 04:59 PM

All about MPG. VW MK7 Golf R with a similar engine (2.0T I4) recommends 5W-40. Ironically, the R gets better gas mileage ... then again, it's VW, sooooo ...

0W-20 won't grenade your motor, but if you're tracking it, I would run a thicker oil. Probably a 5W-30 or if at a higher temp climate, 10W-30 as it will have better shear stability. Heck, M1 0W-40 gets rave reviews for its additive package if you want to use that for a track day. On the street? 0W-20 is fine, but it's for eeking out as many MPGs as possible.

(if anyone mentions tighter bearing tolerances for low viscosity oil, I will punch you thru the goddamn internet)
TLXinTX (09-02-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 05:02 PM
Burning Brakes

That implies that the regular version's transmission couldn't handle the extra torque, which means for all those people who are running tuned 2.0Ts expecting to have it last...godspeed.
Not sure why you think a transmission that has (supposedly) been slightly upgraded to handle the extra hp/torque of a new 6-cylinder engine
has any affect on
the performance of same/similar transmission when mated to a lower hp/torque 4-cylinder engine in a different car. A set, BTW, that is proven and has been in the field for 2 years (in the RDX).

Whether they did it or not (by mods to transmission, transfer-case, other SH-AWD components, etc.) has no effect on normal operation of 2021 TLX-2.0 build .

Last edited by Tesla1856; 08-30-2020 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:05 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yea for track days especially a slightly thicker oil would be better IMO. Though I'd imagine for most folks, they probably don't track that much lol.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:12 PM
Safety Car

Not sure why you think a transmission that has (supposedly) been slightly upgraded to handle the extra hp/torque of a new 6-cylinder engine
has any affect on
the performance of same/similar transmission and 4-cylinder engine in a different car. A set, BTW, that is proven and has been in the field for 2 years (in the RDX).

Whether they did it or not (by mods to transmission, transfer-case, other SH-AWD components, etc.) has no effect on normal operation of 2021 TLX-2.0 build .
Did you not read my entire post? For TUNED 2.0Ts...meaning for people running at higher than stock levels of power. If the Type-S's transmission had to be strengthened to handle the extra power, doesn't that make you wonder just how much headroom there is for the regular TLX's transmission? If Acura doesn't feel comfortable with the regular transmission handling 354lb-ft of torque, I'm not feeling too good about it handling the ~330ft-lb of torque a tuned 2.0T will be putting out.

Last edited by fiatlux; 08-30-2020 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:18 PM
Safety Car

Yea for track days especially a slightly thicker oil would be better IMO. Though I'd imagine for most folks, they probably don't track that much lol.
Buying a CTR and not tracking it is kind of like dating Scarlett Johansson but maintaining a purely clothes-on relationship.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:23 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

lol I know what you mean but I know too many fellow owners that haven't tracked theirs yet haha.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Smile

Did you not read my entire post? For TUNED 2.0Ts...meaning for people running at higher than stock levels of power. If the Type-S's transmission had to be strengthened to handle the extra power, doesn't that make you wonder just how much headroom there is for the regular TLX's transmission? If Acura doesn't feel comfortable with the regular transmission handling 354lb-ft of torque, I'm not feeling too good about it handling the ~330ft-lb of torque a tuned 2.0T will be putting out.
If you value it's operational integrity, reprogramming a machine to operate beyond it's designed specifications is not a good idea. Contrary to the beliefs of custom-tuners, this is a self-defeating proposition.

It sounds like they are reprogramming/hacking the various engine computer firmwares to allow/force the engines into the safety-margins the engineers built-into them. I don't have the stats, but I'm sure "custom-tuners" are a smaller-subset than would even Track their nice-new 2G TLX. Personally, I think it's a bit arrogant of them to think they know more about tuning the engine, than the engineers that designed and built it.

So, how much over-built do you recommend (and at what extra cost) ... so that 1% of the buyers can run their custom-tuned TLX without it self-destructing or slowly causing premature wear? These are not race-cars owned by race-teams with high budgets. Maybe you could ask the custom-tuned 3G RDX owners how theirs are holding up?

If they do indeed strengthen the Type-S transmission and/or drive-train , I think it would be so that it has a similar engineered extra tolerance level as the 2.0T combo.

It reminds me of guys over-clocking their computers, just so their machine can get a higher benchmark score. Then, a year or so later, they wonder why their (normally extremely reliable) CPU suddenly died or melted-down.

Acuras slogan is "Precision Crafted Performance" ... not " Extreme Hacked Performance".
No thanks, I'll take dependable and reliable performance and hope it lasts a while. I'll have the dealer's trained and experienced technicians and mechanics do the required maintenance and minor repairs on my Acura vehicle (an expensive asset, not a "project car"). I'll hope for no major repairs, but if they are needed, the dealer will do them for me free/cheap under the manufacturers warranty or extended warranty contract.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 08-30-2020 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:36 PM
Safety Car

If you value it's operational integrity, reprogramming a machine to operate beyond it's designed specifications is not a good idea. Contrary to the beliefs of custom-tuners, this is a self-defeating proposition.

It sounds like they are reprogramming/hacking the various engine computer firmwares to allow/force the engines into the safety-margins the engineers built-into them. I don't have the stats, but I'm sure "custom-tuners" are a smaller-subset than would even Track their nice-new 2G TLX. Personally, I think it's a bit arrogant of them to think they know more about tuning the engine, than the engineers that designed and built it.

So, how much over-built do you recommend (and at what extra cost) ... so that 1% of the buyers can run their custom-tuned TLX without it self-destructing or slowly causing premature wear? These are not race-cars owned by race-teams with high budgets. Maybe you could ask the custom-tuned 3G RDX owners how theirs are holding up?

If they do indeed strengthen the Type-S transmission and/or drive-train , I think it would be so that it has a similar engineered extra tolerance level as the 2.0T combo.

It reminds me of guys over-clocking their computers, just so their machine can get a higher benchmark score. Then, a year or so later, they wonder why their (normally extremely reliable) CPU suddenly died or melted-down.

Acuras slogan is "Precision Crafted Performance" ... not " Extreme Hacked Performance".
No thanks, I'll take dependable and reliable performance and hope it lasts a while. I'll have the dealer's trained and experienced technicians and mechanics do the required maintenance and minor repairs on my Acura vehicle (an expensive asset, not a "project car"). I'll hope for no major repairs, but if they are needed, the dealer will do them for me free/cheap under the manufacturers warranty or extended warranty contract.
You’re preaching to the choir here, but maybe you should direct this to all the folks saying they’ll just get the 2.0T plus a tune rather than the Type-S.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Smile

You’re preaching to the choir here, but maybe you should direct this to all the folks saying they’ll just get the 2.0T plus a tune rather than the Type-S.
It's not really directed at you necessarily. We were just chatting here and it came up.
This is a public forum, so anyone is welcome to comment on my post.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:18 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Haha it's true that probably less than 1% of the TLX S owners will tune and/or track their TLX-S. But it's also true that while there are folks here saying they will just get a tune for their 2.0T, the forum represents probably just 1% of the buyers too.

Personally most of my cars have a tune (gotta love turbo). These are pretty much off the shelf tunes that are pretty darn mild though. Theoretically these tunes are so mild that they would not hurt reliability/longevity much since these companies don't want people complain to them about their engine or tranny blowing up. Custom tuning though is a different story.
Midnight Mystery (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 04:22 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
But still,

"turbo-V6 TLX-S with a tune" > "turbo-I4 TLX with a tune"

iforyou (09-01-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 04:54 AM
Racer

LOL. Overall all I'm hearing is negativity about the new TLX. Sure I think Acura lost it's way back in 2009. But I like what I see now and the direction that they're taking. The car hasn't even been released and yet you guys are saying it's a dog. THEY ARE NEVER GOING TO TROUNCE THE GERMANS. Just offer a fine alternative with it's own merits
The following 4 users liked this post by lowgrowl:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-31-2020), jyrtl (09-01-2020), Midnight Mystery (08-31-2020), Tesla1856 (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Just offer a fine alternative with it's own merits
As Acura keeps on increasing its prices and offer less value compared to Honda, the merits are actually shrinking. Right now, the Stinger is a much better value proposition compared to the Type-S.
Audi S5 Sportback can be tuned with APR Stage 1 ECU to take it over 400 up without any engine tweaks. Engine has breathing room to not affect RS5 sells. If Acura stopped at 355, how much extra can people get? Even as a tuner it doesn't look good. Transmission may be the weak link.
The following 2 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
ESHBG (08-31-2020), leomio85 (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 09:11 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,237 Likes on 2,617 Posts
LOL. Overall all I'm hearing is negativity about the new TLX. Sure I think Acura lost it's way back in 2009. But I like what I see now and the direction that they're taking. The car hasn't even been released and yet you guys are saying it's a dog. THEY ARE NEVER GOING TO TROUNCE THE GERMANS. Just offer a fine alternative with it's own merits
It's just the peanut gallery getting in their opinion whether it makes sense or not does not matter I suppose.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-31-2020 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:27 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
As Acura keeps on increasing its prices and offer less value compared to Honda, the merits are actually shrinking. Right now, the Stinger is a much better value proposition compared to the Type-S.
Audi S5 Sportback can be tuned with APR Stage 1 ECU to take it over 400 up without any engine tweaks. Engine has breathing room to not affect RS5 sells. If Acura stopped at 355, how much extra can people get? Even as a tuner it doesn't look good. Transmission may be the weak link.
The issue is no matter what value and HP Stinger gives to consumers. I can promise you it won't sell more than the TLX. At least for next 4-5 years. This is proven and we can sit and talk all day about Stinger and Genesis. But if you need to see the truth, check their sales numbers. The same goes, no matter what TLX does, I highly doubt it will surpass 3 series and C class's sales numbers. At the end of the day, we can have million discussions and reviews. But it all comes down to sales numbers. Honda, Kia, BMW and teh rest, all of them need MONEY! You can make the best car in the world, if it doesn't sell. The company will shut its door. Like everything else.

Now, I don't know the new TLX is good or not. We will know once it hits the dealer. It could be a complete disaster lol! but logically if we compare the TLX to the RDX, it may not be the best sedan out there but it will be good. Let's see. Another 3-4 weeks of wait
Old 08-31-2020, 09:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
It's just the peanut gallery getting in their opinion whether it makes sense or not does not matter I suppose.
Many users here went from being super excited to will wait and see. If diehards are walking away, what does that mean with the general public? Peanut gallery to you can very well be market research data to others.
The following 2 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
04WDPSeDaN (08-31-2020), ESHBG (08-31-2020)

Quick Reply: Base TLX or TLX Type S