Acura's next S maybe promises

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 12:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Acura's next S maybe promises

Here we go again

Integra Type S

BMW M type exhaust Its what is in front of the exhaust that counts.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-27-2021 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
A little annoyed with the CLX Type S render (read: tease) already.....honestly, my old @$$ would prefer that over the Integra.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
So basically they just photoshopped a TLX and removed the rear doors? I doubt it looks like that and LOL at the exhaust.
The following users liked this post:
silverTL6 (08-29-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 01:00 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
That’s an MT article speculating on whether there will be a Type S Integra and what form it would take. Which is appalling being that Acura previously announced that the small sedan they would introduce would get the S treatment. As to the render, it’s third party and not Acura sourced. Entire article is just click bait. No wonder many of you bought into the TLX Type S marketing hook line and sinker.
silverTL6 (08-29-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 01:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Interesting a few pictures in there is a shot of the embossed "integra" on the white left front fender that was shown a few days ago here. Actually as a coupe the render with the same fender treatment is not a bad looking car. Lose the M pipes so it does not get laughed at. Go with a SMALLER version of the TLX-S & they could have an attractive seller
Old 08-27-2021, 01:43 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
People complain about Acura's marketing but it seems pretty effective to me
Legend2TL (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 01:51 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
That does seem to be the way it played out. Quite coincidently I was thinking the same thing last week. Folks complaining about what the S isn’t doesn’t seem to be hindering a certain subset of buyers from craving to buy the vehicle. Must be that damn marketing. 😂😂😂
Old 08-27-2021, 01:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Marketing is supposed to do three things:
  • Capture attention.
  • Educate prospects.
  • Convert.
They are great at point 1

They lie to much in point 2

They suck at point 3

Local inventory today is 5 & 1

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-27-2021 at 02:00 PM.
sonyfever (08-28-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

....if it turns a profit for the firm (which remains to be seen) then, it's mission accomplished ultimately. Ultimately, these guys are running a business.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by F23A4
....if it turns a profit for the firm (which remains to be seen) then, it's mission accomplished ultimately. Ultimately, these guys are running a business.
Have no idea what their profits are, think the are buried in the Honda numbers. Just looking at the convert. They do OK with people moving up within the Honda chain. But the do very poorly with conquest sales. Then once the S customer wants to move up but does not want an SUV they are gone. So all I can see is their marketing is just hanging in there but not growing the line. They give no compelling reason to switch to Acura.

Not sure what it means yet but two weeks ago guys were looking all over the country for S cars. Now in one location we have 6 or 7 just siting there. Don't know if all the gotta have its are done, the SDM's were an issue, the bad internet launch & subsequent race vides turned people off or what? But if the local inventory remains high without replacements coming in for sales its not a very good sign.

What are S inventories if any by you?

Old 08-27-2021, 02:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
I’d assume it will look like an Acura-fied 11G Civic. Personally, I think the new Civic is quite handsome. Hopefully Acura doesn’t screw it up.

And no to copying the ///M exhaust.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:23 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,237 Likes on 2,617 Posts
, that point is lost on some who don't understand how a business functions
Old 08-27-2021, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
  • Capture attention.
  • Educate prospects.
  • Convert.

They suck at point 3

They should all tell the truth like Dodge!!

At this point if someone is sucked in by Acura's marketing it's not Acura's fault.
Legend2TL (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Not sure what it means yet but two weeks ago guys were looking all over the country for S cars. Now in one location we have 6 or 7 just siting there. Don't know if all the gotta have its are done, the SDM's were an issue, the bad internet launch & subsequent race vides turned people off or what? But if the local inventory remains high without replacements coming in for sales its not a very good sign.

The dealers by me have 2+, not including their demos. I think only one only has one. Who knows tho, it could be that they’re just asking stupid mark-ups … which if that’s the case, I’m glad people are holding the line and refusing to pay more for the car.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:28 PM
AZ Community Team

Have no idea what their profits are, think the are buried in the Honda numbers. Just looking at the convert. They do OK with people moving up within the Honda chain. But the do very poorly with conquest sales. Then once the S customer wants to move up but does not want an SUV they are gone. So all I can see is their marketing is just hanging in there but not growing the line. They give no compelling reason to switch to Acura.

But where's your data on this? Just your opinion?
And no it's not some random folks rambling on a Internet Acura forum

There's probably data out there but that's probably deep in a CRM database (Oracle, SAP, SalesForce,...) within American Honda that none of us have access to.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-27-2021 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:41 PM
AZ Community Team

They should all tell the truth like Dodge!!

At this point if someone is sucked in by Acura's marketing it's not Acura's fault.

Great commercial, but awful compact sedan that was cancelled after 4 years in the US. But awesome commercial!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (08-27-2021), neuronbob (08-28-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Great commercial, but awful compact sedan that was cancelled after 4 years in the US. But awesome commercial!!
Right! It may be one of the best car commercials ever - but the car was TERRIBLE. Nobody buys a car based off a commercial - it may get you into the dealership but all it took was 30 seconds in that car to know you weren't taking it to the track! Marketing is never truth! Marketing is the thing that causes you to begin researching a product.
The following 2 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
Honda430 (08-27-2021), Midnight Mystery (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator

My dealer has one in inventory, which is presold....confirmed that one is on the way which isnt pre-sold. (it's a distinguished yet distasteful Tiger Eye exterior unfortunately)

Bridgewater Acura has four.....and they'll probably continue to have those four for a while until they scrap the $10k ADM

Open Road Acura has 8 listed on their site

Just for comparison (near me), the M340i inventory is:

Open Road BMW (4)

Princeton BMW (4)

Bridgewater BMW (0)

Last edited by F23A4; 08-27-2021 at 03:09 PM.
BEAR-AvHistory (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 06:31 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Integra Type S.... Ready, Set, Markups. Dealers proly just salivating now.
Old 08-27-2021, 07:14 PM
Suzuka Master

My dealer has one in inventory, which is presold....confirmed that one is on the way which isnt pre-sold. (it's a distinguished yet distasteful Tiger Eye exterior unfortunately)

Bridgewater Acura has four.....and they'll probably continue to have those four for a while until they scrap the $10k ADM

Open Road Acura has 8 listed on their site

Just for comparison (near me), the M340i inventory is:

Open Road BMW (4)

Princeton BMW (4)

Bridgewater BMW (0)
Thanks. That would suggest the gotta have wave has passed through now it back to selling cars not just taking orders. Harder to judge on the BMW side as most of the performance versions are built to order. The whole system is geared for it. Daughters build tracking package has her M4 is at stage 111 order accepted for production - date not yet set.

A lot of guys on the site are still waiting for an allocation to open up. I put her request in back in June. Allocation came in last week.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
But where's your data on this? Just your opinion?
And no it's not some random folks rambling on a Internet Acura forum

There's probably data out there but that's probably deep in a CRM database (Oracle, SAP, SalesForce,...) within American Honda that none of us have access to.
Yeah its my opinion based on all the people going back to 2006 who are no longer here turning up in other brand forums. How many mods going back to when Acura was an actual player now have German cars or Corvettes? Even the Canadian Acura V6 super fan guy that hated German cars, especially BMW, that I spared with for years eventually left here with a new Audi. Not hard to see how many moved on to German cars & how few came here from other premium makes. Just take look at the TLX owners cars list that are packed with prior or current Hondas. To many Honda owners I guess going Acura is moving up at a bargain price to a car they feel familiar with.

That said based on the number of Hondas sold vs the number of Acura's sold a lot must be going someplace else. In these series of threads how many are Acura's owners vs past Acura owners who have gone elsewhere. You are still sitting on you 3G, don't see you making a move either way.
Old 08-27-2021, 09:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Yeah its my opinion based on all the people going back to 2006 who are no longer here turning up in other brand forums. How many mods going back to when Acura was an actual player now have German cars or Corvettes? Even the Canadian Acura V6 super fan guy that hated German cars, especially BMW, that I spared with for years eventually left here with a new Audi. Not hard to see how many moved on to German cars & how few came here from other premium makes. Just take look at the TLX owners cars list that are packed with prior or current Hondas. To many Honda owners I guess going Acura is moving up at a bargain price to a car they feel familiar with.

That said based on the number of Hondas sold vs the number of Acura's sold a lot must be going someplace else. In these series of threads how many are Acura's owners vs past Acura owners who have gone elsewhere. You are still sitting on you 3G, don't see you making a move either way.
What a lot of the fanboys can't seem to handle is that Acura is not a terminal brand, it is not an aspiration brand, and at this point it isn't even a "fun" brand. Without some sort of differentiator or wow factor, it's hard to justify buying an Acura over any number of competitors when money is not a factor. That type of thinking used to be limited to financially well-off folks, but in today's world with insane 96-month auto loans, even regular Joes are now able to step up to a tier 1 luxury brand rather than settling for an Acura. Every single time whenever Acura is complimented it's always caveated with "for the money". It's a great car...for the money. It's got the best performance...for the money. That's great and all, and kudos for them building something attainable, but not providing a "screw the price, let's just build the best damn thing we can build" option for folks with the means to buy one is disappointing. I understand that it goes against the ethos of what Honda (and therefore Acura) is all about, but the Koreans seem like they're positioned to do just that, so why can't Honda/Acura do it ?

Last edited by fiatlux; 08-27-2021 at 09:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-27-2021), silverTL6 (08-29-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 10:56 PM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Honda need to allow Acura to work on a Type-R since we see what Type-S is, then maybe Acura will get my interest again
Old 08-28-2021, 08:40 AM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
What a lot of the fanboys can't seem to handle is that Acura is not a terminal brand, it is not an aspiration brand, and at this point it isn't even a "fun" brand. Without some sort of differentiator or wow factor, it's hard to justify buying an Acura over any number of competitors when money is not a factor. That type of thinking used to be limited to financially well-off folks, but in today's world with insane 96-month auto loans, even regular Joes are now able to step up to a tier 1 luxury brand rather than settling for an Acura. Every single time whenever Acura is complimented it's always caveated with "for the money". It's a great car...for the money. It's got the best performance...for the money. That's great and all, and kudos for them building something attainable, but not providing a "screw the price, let's just build the best damn thing we can build" option for folks with the means to buy one is disappointing. I understand that it goes against the ethos of what Honda (and therefore Acura) is all about, but the Koreans seem like they're positioned to do just that, so why can't Honda/Acura do it ?
Genesis still has a long way to go....They need a dealership network five years ago. The thought of me dealing with my local disastrous Hyundai dealership if I had a Genesis is a major no go. Look at the current line up, MDX, RDX, TLX and even the damn ILX is selling really well. If they get Integra right you can easily add another well selling car to the list. Not sure what all the doom and gloom is about on this forum. Even Lexus can't touch Germans after several decades and endless resources but people sound like Genesis already made it LMAO.

Old 08-28-2021, 09:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dmski
Genesis still has a long way to go....They need a dealership network five years ago. The thought of me dealing with my local disastrous Hyundai dealership if I had a Genesis is a major no go. Look at the current line up, MDX, RDX, TLX and even the damn ILX is selling really well. If they get Integra right you can easily add another well selling car to the list. Not sure what all the doom and gloom is about on this forum. Even Lexus can't touch Germans after several decades and endless resources but people sound like Genesis already made it LMAO.
Genesis has the products but is short on standalone dealerships & a bad taste from Hyundai Kia from 15 years ago. H/K is moved to #4 in the world & Honda/Acura is #8 having pretty much overcome any early days stigma. The Hyundai operation is a mega industrial operation with almost unlimited funds. They have the will & money to push the product upscale.

As for dealerships I personally don't care because I only want to see them once a year, for state inspection, after the car is bought & I buy through the internet with one visit to the dealer. Our local Kia/Hyundai, Mazda, Subaru, services the Genesis coupe & granddaughters Mazda CX5. Service has been good with no upselling. My BMW shop is fancy pancy but coffee is coffee & the internet is the internet. Service has also been good.

Will agree lack of a separate dealer network hurts sales. Noticed the place I bought the car from now has expanded their campus to include a Genesis edifice. Too far away to use them.

Don't believe its doom & gloom for Acura but don't see much growth as long as they are a pass through operation with no top end line or lines. if you look at the M340 its way down in the weeds compared to the upper lines. An M4 convertible goes out the door in the low $90,000's & its only a middle product line.

One of the guys was whining about the Genesis SUV going for $65,000. Wonder how he feels about a top end Chevy SUV going for $85,000. Some here need a car price readjustment as to what id truly expensive.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-28-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mak P
Honda need to allow Acura to work on a Type-R since we see what Type-S is, then maybe Acura will get my interest again
Unless something changes, Honda isn't sharing ...

https://www.motor1.com/news/399596/h...ame-expansion/

This is what makes me doubt the Integra Type-S will be allowed to get the CTR motor. Also, the fact that the latest NSX got the Type-S moniker rather than Type-R just puts the nail in the coffin that, going forward, Type-S = Acura and Type-R = Honda.
silverTL6 (08-29-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
Genesis is already tier-1 in terms of the car itself. And they are really regressive and moving faster with their future products than Lexus and Acura. On the sale side, they should eat into the Japanese brands easily in two years, as the dealership network catches fast near metro areas the last time I checked.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
  • Capture attention.
  • Educate prospects.
  • Convert.

They suck at point 3

Ouch, that's brutally honest. With Genesis chasing their tail, Acura is fighting a losing war IMHO.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sonyfever
Genesis is already tier-1 in terms of the car itself. And they are really regressive and moving faster with their future products than Lexus and Acura. On the sale side, they should eat into the Japanese brands easily in two years, as the dealership network catches fast near metro areas the last time I checked.
The dealer network is really their biggest issue. I saw them opening a dealer somewhat close to my house. I passed it and I was surprised to see, "Opening Soon: Genesis of XYZ." I passed by it a couple months later and the sign was changed to, "Opening Soon: Hyundai of XYZ."

And since I'm not doing anything on this lazy Sunday, local inventory by me:

Smithtown - 3
Bayshore - 6
Roslyn - 7 (3 are listed as in-transit tho)
Valley Stream - 4
Wantagh - 2
Huntington - 4

Last edited by leomio2.0; 08-29-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-29-2021, 10:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
It’s funny that people criticize Genesis on the basis that it does not currently have a vast network of standalone dealerships. If you take the time to examine the actual product they put out, it becomes immediately evident that there is no Acura product that even comes close to competing with any vehicle that Genesis makes.

The following 3 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
04WDPSeDaN (08-29-2021), justnspace (08-29-2021), pyrodan007 (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 10:19 AM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
quoting so others can see the beautiful workmanship that goes into the Genesis brand

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Just got my GV70 and went for a short drive. It really is quite amazing, and absolutely puts my former RDX to shame.

​​​​​​​
04WDPSeDaN (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 10:42 AM
Suzuka Master

It’s funny that people criticize Genesis on the basis that it does not currently have a vast network of standalone dealerships. If you take the time to examine the actual product they put out, it becomes immediately evident that there is no Acura product that even comes close to competing with any vehicle that Genesis makes.
I like how tight the seams between the panels are. Not an easy thing to do in mass production without a lot of care.
ELIN (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

In spite of my criticisms of Acura in recent times, I still have an affinity for the brand. What’s becoming obvious is Hyundai/Genesis have laid out a roadmap for companies like Acura to follow if they want to be part of the Tier 1 luxury/performance conversation. There’s literally no reason Acura can’t do it. It’s just whether they have the will to do it.
vhtran (08-30-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 10:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
So basically they just photoshopped a TLX and removed the rear doors? I doubt it looks like that and LOL at the exhaust.
I like the look much better than the current sedan but then again I prefer coupes every day of the week. A coupe that is smaller in size and lighter than the TLX with around 350hp would be something I would like to see from Acura. A little work on the rear diffuser wouldn't hurt either but in general that is a great starting point.
The following 2 users liked this post by jhb31:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-29-2021), vhtran (08-30-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 01:48 PM
Drifting

Received 1,262 Likes on 917 Posts
For myself, I prefer the whole experience from owning a brand. Since I'm not handy in doing my own servicing, I'd much rather go to a Genesis service center than a Hyundai one.
Old 08-29-2021, 03:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
"Good looking car. Now go spend your time at genesisowners.com instead of hating on Acuras here"

- Tonypac, probably
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
justnspace (08-29-2021), vhtran (08-30-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 03:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fiatlux
"Good looking car. Now go spend your time at genesisowners.com instead of hating on Acuras here"

- Tonypac, probably
LOL….actually, I understand his passion for the brand. We were all Acura fans at one point in time.
The following 2 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
sonyfever (08-30-2021), vhtran (08-30-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 03:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ELIN
For myself, I prefer the whole experience from owning a brand. Since I'm not handy in doing my own servicing, I'd much rather go to a Genesis service center than a Hyundai one.
I totally get what you’re saying. Crazy thing is the Hyundai/Genesis dealership I got my GV70 from is actually quite a lot nicer than the Acura dealership just a few doors down. The whole experience of getting this new car has been far more pleasant than my dealings with any Acura dealership over the years. And if I don’t feel like going there to get the car serviced, they’ll just come get the car from my house while dropping off a courtesy car in the process. In nearly 30 years of Acura ownership of 10 different cars, I’ve never been voluntarily offered a courtesy car. And on the times where I’ve asked for one, they have never had one available. Weird huh?
justnspace (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 04:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
I totally get what you’re saying. Crazy thing is the Hyundai/Genesis dealership I got my GV70 from is actually quite a lot nicer than the Acura dealership just a few doors down. The whole experience of getting this new car has been far more pleasant than my dealings with any Acura dealership over the years. And if I don’t feel like going there to get the car serviced, they’ll just come get the car from my house while dropping off a courtesy car in the process. In nearly 30 years of Acura ownership of 10 different cars, I’ve never been voluntarily offered a courtesy car. And on the times where I’ve asked for one, they have never had one available. Weird huh?
That's the interesting thing about Genesis. As bad as some Hyundai dealerships may be, the at home servicing option should clear up a major portion of people's perspective. Pretty much matches Tesla's approach that's adored by many fans even if quality is not really up there (especially for Canadian winter issues).

Congrats on the GV70 btw, I LOVE that interior color!

Last edited by pyrodan007; 08-29-2021 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 04:12 PM
Drifting

Received 1,262 Likes on 917 Posts
I must say that Genesis pickup for servicing is a nice competitive advantage but how many Genesis owners actually use it as opposed to showing up at the dealer (pandemic numbers may have increased this usage)?

As for courtesy cars, I've never had issues with Benz or Audi but never got one from Acura. I think we're barking up the wrong tree if our expectations are that high with Acura.

Quick Reply: Acura's next S maybe promises