2021 TLX and TLX Type S sales figures

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 07:46 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
One of the major reason of Audi being less than successful that BMW/MB is that Audi (not just the A4) does not have RWD vehicle platform. Audi only has FWD platforms and any high-power (> ~290hp) FWD-chassis Audi's have no choice but to pair with the costly, heavy-ass, and power-robbing AWD hardware. High engine power is always associated with luxury automobiles.

Whereas luxury high-power BMW's and MB's can enjoy the cheaper to manufacture, simpler, lighter, and more powerful RWD platform vehicles, when compared to the FWD-chassis AWD counterparts.

With the lack of RWD chassis, Audi is always one step below the perceived true luxury status associated with BMW and MB.

Being in the same boat as Audi, Acura is facing the exact same fate.
Thank you so much for your honest and logical answers. Appreciate it and definitely makes sense. Always feel good and refreshing to chat with knowledgeable members!
Old 09-10-2020, 07:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
On another note, I am surprised at the A4 numbers. It's so behind the 3 Series and C Class. Now I understand why some people call it a fancy Jetta with 4 rings. Sales numbers prove that. Almost the same as TLX and Q50 lol! not bad. Acura and Infiniti should be proud.
It may not be a fair comparison. Does it include the S4 and S5s? Are all the 3 series numbers comparing apples to apples when they separated the coupes out as 4s? Do the Cs include C43 and C63s? Do the 3s include M3s.....
Old 09-10-2020, 08:03 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by jjsC5
It may not be a fair comparison. Does it include the S4 and S5s? Are all the 3 series numbers comparing apples to apples when they separated the coupes out as 4s? Do the Cs include C43 and C63s? Do the 3s include M3s.....
Honestly, not sure if it's not fair. The way goodcarbadcar categorize the sales are all A4, S4s and 3 Series.

A5 is in a different category as well as 4 series.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

One of the major reason of Audi being less than successful that BMW/MB is that Audi (not just the A4) does not have RWD vehicle platform. Audi only has FWD platforms and any high-power (> ~290hp) FWD-chassis Audi's have no choice but to pair with the costly, heavy-ass, and power-robbing AWD hardware. High engine power is always associated with luxury automobiles.

Whereas luxury high-power BMW's and MB's can enjoy the cheaper to manufacture, simpler, lighter, and more powerful RWD platform vehicles, when compared to the FWD-chassis AWD counterparts.

With the lack of RWD chassis, Audi is always one step below the perceived true luxury status associated with BMW and MB.

While I totally get your point, I don’t think most buyers care about the rear drive issue. I have a close friend who I think is a fair reference. He is a huge car guy and has been for over 50 years. He knows a tremendous amount about cars. He currently has a 2020 BMW M8 Gran Coupe Competition, and he just bought his wife a 2020 911S. Going backwards in time, his cars in the 15 years I’ve know him

BMW M8 mentioned above
MB 550S Coupe
Audi S8
Audi S8
Maserati Quattroporte
Jaguar XJR
Jaguar XJR

I am also a huge car guy and yes, RWD Is my preference, but I’m okay with Audi’s AWD. My last several...

BMW 540 (current)
Audi A7
Audi A7
BMW 550
Lexus GS350
Cadillac CTS
Infiniti M45
Old 09-10-2020, 08:15 AM
AZ Community Team

While I totally get your point, I don’t think most buyers care about the rear drive issue. I have a close friend who I think is a fair reference. He is a huge car guy and has been for over 50 years. He knows a tremendous amount about cars. He currently has a 2020 BMW M8 Gran Coupe Competition, and he just bought his wife a 2020 911S. Going backwards in time, his cars in the 15 years I’ve know him

BMW M8 mentioned above
MB 550S Coupe
Audi S8
Audi S8
Maserati Quattroporte
Jaguar XJR
Jaguar XJR

I am also a huge car guy and yes, RWD Is my preference, but I’m okay with Audi’s AWD. My last several...

BMW 540 (current)
Audi A7
Audi A7
BMW 550
Lexus GS350
Cadillac CTS
Infiniti M45

Also, as I mentioned yesterday. I have a few good friends, who are real car guys and they love expensive and fast machines Based on my conversations with them, they refer to Audi a pretty VW. Now to me, that's not an issue but this is what I have heard.

I will share a funny story. 2 years ago, I was at the MTL car show and the Audi rep was talking to me and he was a a freaking funny and honest guy. He was telling me Golf and A3 are the same, go buy a Golf and it's much cheaper and less expensive to maintain....We both laughed and I said you work for Audi, how can you say that lol! Anyway, this is the perception out there. The same when people say why should I pay for a TLX when I can get an Accord or etc.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:44 AM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^i dont get your point.
it's the same thing as Honda and Toyota...
if one wanted the cheaper car, they would go to Honda and Toyota and not Acura and Lexus, respectfully
The following users liked this post:
Tesla1856 (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 08:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Many companies share parts, if not would cost a fortune. A BMW is a cheap Rolls-Royce, Audi is a cheap Porsche, Alfa-Romeo is a cheap Maserati. Audi has to share from somewhere. Just so happens BMW and Mercedes don't have a lower division. Could also explain why their reliability is a little less due to less pieces being used in the world continuously.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 09-10-2020 at 08:54 AM.
justnspace (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 09:40 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by justnspace
^i dont get your point.
it's the same thing as Honda and Toyota...
if one wanted the cheaper car, they would go to Honda and Toyota and not Acura and Lexus, respectfully
sorry if I wasn't clear. Yes you're correct.
justnspace (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 09:42 AM
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts
Yesterday my dealer here in North Jersey had 2 new 2021 base model TLX's in the shop. ACURA chose them to prep and then will be released to the press for testing. One was red & the other I believe steel metallic. I was able to get up close with one & I really like it! The interior is definitely an improvement especially the console etc. The body looks sleeker too, the lines are a definite improvement. But will it be enough to sway buyers away from Audi & BMW? It's doubtful because those brands have always been about luxury and upscale status in society sadly.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:59 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by TVL65
Yesterday my dealer here in North Jersey had 2 new 2021 base model TLX's in the shop. ACURA chose them to prep and then will be released to the press for testing. One was red & the other I believe steel metallic. I was able to get up close with one & I really like it! The interior is definitely an improvement especially the console etc. The body looks sleeker too, the lines are a definite improvement. But will it be enough to sway buyers away from Audi & BMW? It's doubtful because those brands have always been about luxury and upscale status in society sadly.
thanks for the quick update.

Definitely, it's not an easy job and those German brands have established a different place in the customers' mind and heart. For example, the new BMW 3 series. it's an amazing machine. I had it for 2 days last month and it's quick, tech is great and it doesn't feel like it's a 250 HP car. It feel like 300 lol!
Old 09-10-2020, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts

Audi only has FWD platforms and any high-power (> ~290hp) FWD-chassis Audi's have no choice but to pair with the costly, heavy-ass, and power-robbing AWD hardware. High engine power is always associated with luxury automobiles.

when compared to the (Audi & Acura) FWD-chassis AWD counterparts.
Liking FWD over RWD (and Acura introducing me to AWD, and liking it even better) no wonder I was drawn to Audi .
Old 09-10-2020, 11:18 AM

sorry if I wasn't clear. Yes you're correct.
Porsche also shares platforms with Audi...
As the VAG owns Porsche, Audi, Bentley, Buggati, Lamborghini, Ducati and several other brands

Honda is now in bed with GM. to co-develop EV's.
Toyota has been in bed with BMW and Subaru

I still dont get your point.

Last edited by justnspace; 09-10-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Many companies share parts, if not would cost a fortune. Audi is a cheap Porsche,
I knew about the VW & Audi connection, but I'm new to Audi, so did not know ... thanks.

Google says this:
Volkswagen Group is Porsche's parent company. Volkswagen and Porsche merged in 2011. Volkswagen Group is also the parent company of various other luxury car brands, including Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, and Lamborghini.

And this:
Porsche now holds the reins for Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley, and Bugatti
https://www.slashgear.com/porsche-no...atti-14545696/

Last edited by Tesla1856; 09-10-2020 at 11:25 AM.
justnspace (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 11:26 AM

VAG doesnt care about low A4 sales, because they are still laughing all the way to the bank

"give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

the same concept as fiat currency. create fiat currency and you control everything

Last edited by justnspace; 09-10-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:56 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 845 Likes on 526 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
It's because up until now TLX had pretty decent rebates and the price tag is 5-10k cheaper based on options. People are also afraid of the higher maintenance costs. If both companies would have a similar pricing band, you can be sure the A4 would sell much more. 3 series has a huge price spread, there's one for everyone. That's why Rogue sells more, they bulk buy due to cost and not quality.
I thought people here are saying that you can get $10k off a M340i?
Old 09-10-2020, 07:36 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,237 Likes on 2,617 Posts

+1, yeah modern Audi's were only FWD vehicles my first car was a Audi) until the 80's Quartto whose tech was adopted into the 100/200/5000 sedans and almost everything in Audi's line.
Acura/Honda followed Audi with the 2G RL whose SH-AWD system (different than Audi's tech) was adopted to other Acura sedans and MDX. Even the current Pilot uses the same SH-AWD hardware.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:47 PM
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
Porsche also shares platforms with Audi...
As the VAG owns Porsche, Audi, Bentley, Buggati, Lamborghini, Ducati and several other brands

Honda is now in bed with GM. to co-develop EV's.
Toyota has been in bed with BMW and Subaru

I still dont get your point.
go back and read his post, it isn't that difficult to figure it out.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:46 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts

BMW M8 mentioned above
MB 550S Coupe
Audi S8
Audi S8
Maserati Quattroporte
Jaguar XJR
Jaguar XJR

BMW 540 (current)
Audi A7
Audi A7
BMW 550
Lexus GS350
Cadillac CTS
Infiniti M45
No, RWD doesn't have an issue. It is the FWD that has the issue of can't handle too much power on the front wheels.

RWD vehicles can take as much hp as you can throw at it. But not for FWD vehicles. The current technology limit is ~290hp. A (> ~290hp) FWD vehicle will have very crappy handling performance, due to the front tires having to double the duty of steering and propelling at the same time. Sure, Stability Control can come to the rescue, but will also result in a slow car going through corners.

So a (> ~290hp) FWD-chassis sport sedan automatically becomes an AWD one. But a RWD sport sedan can remain to be a RWD car, even with 400+hp.

Let say you don't need all weather traction, and are given a choice. Using your above Porsche 911 as an example, would you buy

(A) 379hp Porsche 911 Carrera, RWD, $99K,
or
(B) 379hp Porsche 911 Carrera 4, AWD, $106K.

I bet most will go for the cheaper, simpler, lighter, and (slightly faster) 911 RWD.

Well, no such luck for FWD vehicles. Buyers have no choice, but to pay for the expensive, heavy, and power-robbing Audi/Acura FWD-platform AWD trims.

Old 09-11-2020, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

1. Let say you don't need all weather traction, and are given a choice.

2. Buyers have no choice, but to pay for the expensive, heavy, and power-robbing Audi/Acura FWD-platform AWD trims.
1. Who doesn't need all weather traction on a daily-driver ?

2. Right, but even though these cars only come in AWD versions now for 2021 ...

- 2021 Audi A4 Quattro (all)
- 2021 Acura TLX 2.0T (Canadian)
- 2021 Acura TLX 3.0T Type-S (all)

... Buyers still have a choice. Just buy something else.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:38 AM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
if the A4 is only managing ~35k units a year and as you put it...a tarted up jetta...
what makes acura think their tarted up Accord will pull anywhere close to the a4? (the a4 is such a better car than the acura's)

acura is betting on emotion with the sharp hood creases.
Emotion does play apart with buying cars, we'll see if the sharp hood creases do anything for sales.
I live in Los Angeles near Beverly Hills. I see literally dozens of German sedans daily. The A4 is definitely far in the minority. To be honest when I do see them I often mistake them a first for A3s. I have no doubt they’re fine cars, but they simply have no gravitas. With that in mind like it or not from the exterior an A4 is nothing more than a fancier Jetta. Now to be honest I see maybe only 1-2 TLXs a week in my hood. I’ve owned two. A 2015 Tech SHAWD and a 2018 A-SHAWD. Though I loved the look of the A-spec the cheesy center console and too frequently shifting transmission led to my moving on to an RDX that I actually enjoy.
Tony Pac (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 10:41 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Honda430
I live in Los Angeles near Beverly Hills. I see literally dozens of German sedans daily. The A4 is definitely far in the minority. To be honest when I do see them I often mistake them a first for A3s. I have no doubt they’re fine cars, but they simply have no gravitas. With that in mind like it or not from the exterior an A4 is nothing more than a fancier Jetta. Now to be honest I see maybe only 1-2 TLXs a week in my hood. I’ve owned two. A 2015 Tech SHAWD and a 2018 A-SHAWD. Though I loved the look of the A-spec the cheesy center console and too frequently shifting transmission led to my moving on to an RDX that I actually enjoy.
The Jetta's interior looks better than A4 basic model. A4's top model looks somehow interesting but other than that. It's nothing special. On contrary the A5 and S5 looks awesome.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:18 AM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
The Jetta's interior looks better than A4 basic model. A4's top model looks somehow interesting but other than that. It's nothing special. On contrary the A5 and S5 looks awesome.
On this I completely agree. The A5/S5 is a good looking vehicle.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:49 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

To be fair modern technologies probably have pushed the FWD limit to like 350whp+ or about 400hp at the crank. My CTR makes about that much and it's a thoroughly enjoyable on a race track, eating a lot of M cars for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Barbecue Tech Tips (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 11:56 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by iforyou
To be fair modern technologies probably have pushed the FWD limit to like 350whp+ or about 400hp at the crank. My CTR makes about that much and it's a thoroughly enjoyable on a race track, eating a lot of M cars for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Just a food for thought.

Back in 2015, Acura and RealTime Racing put together a heavily modified GT-spec TLX-GT AWD race car, to be raced in the Pirelli World Challenge Race Event. Unfortunately, the twin-turbo AWD race car was no match for all other RWD competitors, because AWD was complex, heavy, and robbed engine power. The simple and lighter RWD competitors simply blew the TLX-GT away in most circuits. But AWD had its merits, and the TLX-GT won all wet races.

The following years, Acura/RealTime changed the approach. They gave the race car a slim down. So the heavy, power-robbing AWD mechanics must go. They converted the twin-turbo AWD TLX-GT into a RWD (yes, Rear Wheel Drive) race car. Why RWD, when the showroom stock TLX was and still is riding on a FWD platform ? Because they all knew that a high power FWD race car would handle like shit. This year, Acura/RealTime's GT entrance is the RWD 2nd generation NSX-GT.

RealTime Racing has full Honda factory support and has been participating in GT and Touring Cup race events for 27 years, winning 14 Manufacturers' Championships and 96 race victories with a turbo NSX and mostly low-engine-output FWD Honda/Acura stock and race cars. These race events are all SCCA sanctioned. They aren't run-of-the-mill races organized by the neighborhood. Their experience in racing with and winning with FWD Honda/Acura cars is undeniable, and they know well what FWD cars' capability and limitations in high engine power applications.

In high engine power applications, FWD/AWD is simply no match for the simplicity and lighter-weight RWD counterparts in term of performance.

Old 09-12-2020, 12:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 543 Likes on 351 Posts
RWD with good tires and even a little weight in the trunk if things get really bad can still handle surprisingly good in bad weather and snow, I got to experiment with this often growing up in PA. And I am sure with modern cars even more so with traction control and what not.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Back in 2015, Acura and RealTime Racing put together a heavily modified GT-spec TLX-GT AWD race car, to be raced in the Pirelli World Challenge Race Event. Unfortunately, the twin-turbo AWD race car was no match for all other RWD competitors, because AWD was complex, heavy, and robbed engine power.

In high engine power applications, FWD/AWD is simply no match for the simplicity and lighter-weight RWD counterparts in term of performance.
That is a good racing-history lesson.

Originally Posted by ESHBG
RWD with good tires and even a little weight in the trunk if things get really bad can still handle surprisingly good in bad weather and snow, I got to experiment with this often growing up in PA..
Yes, RWD cars can drive in weather.

Both:

However, the TLX is a mid-sized sedan build to be driven on public roads (with traffic-laws), weather (including rain, snow, and ice). Normally, as a "daily driver" ... going to work, taking your children to doctors appointments, picking up groceries and supplies, ... stuff like that.

The TLX is not a race-car and 95% of the drivers don't have advanced driving-skills (notice the focus on AcuraWatch, Air-Bags, safety, etc.)

Hey, I figured-out Multi-Quote.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 09-12-2020 at 12:52 PM.
mapleloaf (10-14-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 12:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Current 2021 TLX sales = 0.

Would be interesting to see how many of the current members here actually end up buying/leasing one. There’s bound to be new members joining simply because they have a TLX for the first time, but I’m curious whether the loyalists get one, or if any of the naysayers can be converted.

Time will tell.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Yes, RWD cars can drive in weather.

Both:

However, the TLX is a mid-sized sedan build to be driven on public roads (with traffic-laws), weather (including rain, snow, and ice). Normally, as a "daily driver" ... going to work, taking your children to doctors appointments, picking up groceries and supplies, ... stuff like that.

The TLX is not a race-car and 95% of the drivers don't have advanced driving-skills (notice the focus on AcuraWatch, Air-Bags, safety, etc.)

Hey, I figured-out Multi-Quote.
I don't disagree with you however when looking at the current market and competitors:
  • It wouldn't be a terrible idea to nix the FWD and go all AWD like Acura Canada is doing.
  • Or offer RWD instead of FWD and AWD.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
I don't disagree with you however when looking at the current market and competitors:
  • It wouldn't be a terrible idea to nix the FWD and go all AWD like Acura Canada is doing.
  • Or offer RWD instead of FWD and AWD.
#2 will never happen because Honda is Honda

I’m a big fan of #1. SH-AWD is what makes this different from a Honda and turns it into a sport sedan. Sorry to those who have the FWD model, but frankly the only thing sporty about that is the looks; it sure doesn’t have the power, and without SH-AWD it doesn’t have the handling either.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
Ludepower (09-14-2020), Tesla1856 (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 02:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fiatlux
#2 will never happen because Honda is Honda

I’m a big fan of #1. SH-AWD is what makes this different from a Honda and turns it into a sport sedan. Sorry to those who have the FWD model, but frankly the only thing sporty about that is the looks; it sure doesn’t have the power, and without SH-AWD it doesn’t have the handling either.
Never say never But yes I am sure that the odds of that are slim but if they want to step their game up it would be a great option.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:12 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I went to the Acura dealership I used to work for today to get a price on some items. I asked the sales department about the 2nd Gen TLX. He said they've had a decent amount of calls and walk-in's about seeing the new TLX in person. He said most of which are coming off Lease soon. He said they should have two of them on display in the next week or two. While there, I spoke to a few of my ex co-workers (technicians) and asked if they started any training for the TLX. To no surprise, they are doing the on-line training courses (as normal procedure when I was still there) but only on the base TLX. We all made the same assumption, perhaps only a few selected technicians will be specifically trained for the TLX-S til it becomes a bit more common through the service department. Corporate is pushing for record sells comparable to the 3rd gen TL from what sales told me. No details about discounts or pricing. He said most tri-state Acura dealerships are struggling with sales because of the competition (RDX is still selling strong). He will shoot me a text when they will get the TLX in so I can see it in person and go on a test drive. I cringed a bit knowing that some of the ASE master techs that were there with me had left and in their place are new guys out of trade school. The dealership made labor cuts again and I was told it's been happening to many other dealerships to cut down on the costs.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
He said most of which are coming off Lease soon.
Thanks for the report. So, I read your whole post. I think we all feel about the same about what you said.

That makes sense. The 3-year Lease is up and it's time to go get latest model.
Oh, it's all-new for 2021, that's nice. But whatever, do you have a blue one?

It seems much more non-committal to me.
Much less of a agonizing comparing and purchasing decision for a sedan that (even with a down-payment) you are going to be paying on for 5 years, and then hoping to keep for another 2 while you save another down-payment.

I think this helps explain why even Acura Enthusiasts are so critical of the new TLX. I wonder how much the reaction differs is Buyers and Leasers.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 09-12-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:43 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Thanks for the report. So, I read your whole post. I think we all feel about the same about what you said.

That makes sense. The 3-year Lease is up and it's time to go get latest model.
Oh, it's all-new for 2021, that's nice. But whatever, do you have a blue one?

It seems much more non-committal to me.
Much less of a agonizing comparing and purchasing decision for a sedan that (even with a down-payment) you are going to be paying on for 5 years, and then hoping to keep for another 2 while you save another down-payment. I think this helps explains why even Acura Enthusiasts are so critical of the new TLX.
Anytime and thank you for your post. I always appreciate it. You could tell by the way the conversation was, they really need the new TLX to bring in solid sales. One thing I did forget to mention, they are worried about the price on the TLX being higher than what most are willing to pay. Granted, working for sales, you have an idea of what customers are willing to pay. This is what they do for a living. Once you worked for Acura, you learn a lot of their operation. The few users here can knock me all they want, at the end of the day my credentials, experiences and that I worked for Acura holds more value than what they bring to the table. On top of the countless members i've helped through all the different forums. This isn't a personal attack to those members, nor any dislike towards Acura or the TLX.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:16 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Just a food for thought.

Back in 2015, Acura and RealTime Racing put together a heavily modified GT-spec TLX-GT AWD race car, to be raced in the Pirelli World Challenge Race Event. Unfortunately, the twin-turbo AWD race car was no match for all other RWD competitors, because AWD was complex, heavy, and robbed engine power. The simple and lighter RWD competitors simply blew the TLX-GT away in most circuits. But AWD had its merits, and the TLX-GT won all wet races.

The following years, Acura/RealTime changed the approach. They gave the race car a slim down. So the heavy, power-robbing AWD mechanics must go. They converted the twin-turbo AWD TLX-GT into a RWD (yes, Rear Wheel Drive) race car. Why RWD, when the showroom stock TLX was and still is riding on a FWD platform ? Because they all knew that a high power FWD race car would handle like shit. This year, Acura/RealTime's GT entrance is the RWD 2nd generation NSX-GT.

RealTime Racing has full Honda factory support and has been participating in GT and Touring Cup race events for 27 years, winning 14 Manufacturers' Championships and 96 race victories with a turbo NSX and mostly low-engine-output FWD Honda/Acura stock and race cars. These race events are all SCCA sanctioned. They aren't run-of-the-mill races organized by the neighborhood. Their experience in racing with and winning with FWD Honda/Acura cars is undeniable, and they know well what FWD cars' capability and limitations in high engine power applications.

I understand your point that in the racing world, RWD is king. And I definitely agree. The world's fastest racing cars like F1, Le Mans, etc, all have RWD. Not only RWD, but also MR, the ultimate combo.

I was just pointing that for a street car, FWD can be very capable up to 350whp nowadays while still maintaining great practicality and ride comfort. It's a little different than the GT Class machines featuring the likes of Ferrari 458, MB SLS, Porsche 911 packing 550+ hp with stripped interior, huge aero parts, race suspension, etc.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:52 AM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by iforyou
I understand your point that in the racing world, RWD is king. And I definitely agree. The world's fastest racing cars like F1, Le Mans, etc, all have RWD. Not only RWD, but also MR, the ultimate combo.

I was just pointing that for a street car, FWD can be very capable up to 350whp nowadays while still maintaining great practicality and ride comfort. It's a little different than the GT Class machines featuring the likes of Ferrari 458, MB SLS, Porsche 911 packing 550+ hp with stripped interior, huge aero parts, race suspension, etc.
I'm absolutely with you on the point that Honda/Acura is renowned to build nothing but good handling, mass production FWD cars. In fact, Honda/Acura put its emphasis more on handling performance than on class-leading output horsepower.

However, 306hp is currently the highest hp figure on any mass production FWD Honda/Acura car. It is likely the limit for FWD cars to maintain good handling capability (such as emergency maneuver) using today's latest suspension tuning technology. Recall that 11 years ago, the 305hp 4G TL had to be paired with AWD. Honda/Acura will never release any high engine power mass production FWD car that handles like a pig even on the streets.

It has yet to demonstrate a mass production FWD car that can tame 350hp on the front wheels. The upcoming TLX Type-S will have 355hp, but will be paired with AWD.

Sure one can try putting tons and tons of hp on a FWD car, but if the driver applies power while the steering wheel is not dead straight (such as steering/speeding away from danger), the resulting torque steer and/or heavy understeer and/or Stability Control intervention, will make the high engine power FWD street car less than practical to drive.

But not to worry, we will never see such mass production FWD car, because Honda/Acura will never make it happen, not until another breakthrough in FWD suspension tuning technology.

Old 09-13-2020, 08:38 AM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Why not just transition to SH-AWD for all Acura models and leave the FWD to Honda. This is Acura's approach now in Canada.... They just cut off FWD. With SH-AWD you don't need to put yourself in a box. Beef up the power train and sky is the limit. Plus, it's a good way to drop the 'oh, it's just a Honda plus' image....
The following 3 users liked this post by dmski:
CollinR4 (09-15-2020), Ludepower (09-14-2020), Tesla1856 (09-13-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 12:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

No, RWD doesn't have an issue. It is the FWD that has the issue of can't handle too much power on the front wheels.

RWD vehicles can take as much hp as you can throw at it. But not for FWD vehicles. The current technology limit is ~290hp. A (> ~290hp) FWD vehicle will have very crappy handling performance, due to the front tires having to double the duty of steering and propelling at the same time. Sure, Stability Control can come to the rescue, but will also result in a slow car going through corners.

So a (> ~290hp) FWD-chassis sport sedan automatically becomes an AWD one. But a RWD sport sedan can remain to be a RWD car, even with 400+hp.

Let say you don't need all weather traction, and are given a choice. Using your above Porsche 911 as an example, would you buy

(A) 379hp Porsche 911 Carrera, RWD, $99K,
or
(B) 379hp Porsche 911 Carrera 4, AWD, $106K.

I bet most will go for the cheaper, simpler, lighter, and (slightly faster) 911 RWD.

Well, no such luck for FWD vehicles. Buyers have no choice, but to pay for the expensive, heavy, and power-robbing Audi/Acura FWD-platform AWD trims.
You misunderstood my point. My point was that most car guys, or at least an awful lot, are okay with AWD cars that are on FWD “platforms”. That’s was my point with my friend and myself having owned Audi’s. I get that some don’t agree with me, but an awful lot do.
Tesla1856 (09-13-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 06:37 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I'm absolutely with you on the point that Honda/Acura is renowned to build nothing but good handling, mass production FWD cars. In fact, Honda/Acura put its emphasis more on handling performance than on class-leading output horsepower.

However, 306hp is currently the highest hp figure on any mass production FWD Honda/Acura car. It is likely the limit for FWD cars to maintain good handling capability (such as emergency maneuver) using today's latest suspension tuning technology. Recall that 11 years ago, the 305hp 4G TL had to be paired with AWD. Honda/Acura will never release any high engine power mass production FWD car that handles like a pig even on the streets.

It has yet to demonstrate a mass production FWD car that can tame 350hp on the front wheels. The upcoming TLX Type-S will have 355hp, but will be paired with AWD.

Sure one can try putting tons and tons of hp on a FWD car, but if the driver applies power while the steering wheel is not dead straight (such as steering/speeding away from danger), the resulting torque steer and/or heavy understeer and/or Stability Control intervention, will make the high engine power FWD street car less than practical to drive.

But not to worry, we will never see such mass production FWD car, because Honda/Acura will never make it happen, not until another breakthrough in FWD suspension tuning technology.
The CTR is rated at 306hp stock but it produces close to 300whp at the wheels to. In reality, it's more like 320-330hp at the crank. And a quick base tune and downpipe would bring that up to 350whp, which is pretty common. I run that myself plus several other mods. In stock form, there's no torque steer. Now, there's a hint of it, but nothing that would make the car handle badly. The LSD also does an excellent job of applying power out of corners with minimal fuss and wheelspin (the Hondata Traction Control helps a lot too!).

You are probably right though, that there won't be a more powerful mass production FWD car from Honda, as the next CTR is rumored to have sport hybrid SH-AWD.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:03 PM
6G TLX-S

You misunderstood my point. My point was that most car guys, or at least an awful lot, are okay with AWD cars that are on FWD “platforms”. That’s was my point with my friend and myself having owned Audi’s. I get that some don’t agree with me, but an awful lot do.
Yep, I got your point.

But my point is that Audi and Acura are missing out the lucrative high-engine-power 2WD luxury car markets (in the Southern states where there is hardly a drop of rain all year around, such as Southern California), having only mostly FWD platforms. When the climate is good, AWD becomes a burden, not an advantage, for a vehicle package. Hardly any of those buyers will choose the AWD option when they shop for a high power luxury automobile. It is not the issue with FWD-based or RWD-based AWD. They simply don't want AWD at all.

The US sales figures are very good indication that, most buyers prefer the luxury RWD BMW and MB automobiles than the luxury FWD/FWD-based-AWD Audi brand and the near-luxury Acura brand.

Old 09-13-2020, 11:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Yep, I got your point.

But my point is that Audi and Acura are missing out the lucrative high-engine-power 2WD luxury car markets (in the Southern states where there is hardly a drop of rain all year around, such as Southern California), having only mostly FWD platforms. When the climate is good, AWD becomes a burden, not an advantage, for a vehicle package. Hardly any of those buyers will choose the AWD option when they shop for a high power luxury automobile. It is not the issue with FWD-based or RWD-based AWD. They simply don't want AWD at all.

The US sales figures are very good indication that, most buyers prefer the luxury RWD BMW and MB automobiles than the luxury FWD/FWD-based-AWD Audi brand and the near-luxury Acura brand.
I'm sure they would like to have a RWD offering in money was no object, but ultimately these cars share platforms with VW and Honda. Building out a whole new platform just to offer RWD cars would be financially infeasible for Acura. They say the platform for the RDX and TLX is all-new and an Acura exclusive, but let's be honest, it's likely sharing quite a bit with the existing Honda platforms. They'd also have to develop a new transmission and who knows what else. Acura just does not have the sales volume and resources to spend R&D money on things like this. Audi might, but even they probably think it's not worthwhile because how much in incremental sales could they really expect? They might steal a few sales from MB and BMW, but the rest is going to cannibalization from their AWD models. Sedan sales are already suffering, and I imagine the number of people who would eschew a crossover because it's AWD and not RWD might range in the tens, hundreds tops.

Last edited by fiatlux; 09-13-2020 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: 2021 TLX and TLX Type S sales figures