Notices

2019 TLX Spare Tire Kit not available yet, urgh...

 
Old 06-30-2018, 04:42 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
KeithL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Age: 58
Posts: 5,007
Received 645 Likes on 380 Posts
2019 TLX Spare Tire Kit not available yet, urgh...

Well it seems the 2019 TLX ASPEC spare kit p/n 06421-T23-A802A is not even released yet. Nice of them of sell a car where you can;t even buy the spare. This trend of no spare is getting annoying. This is the last time I take delivery of a car without the spare installed. I can't even order it as the part has not been released.
KeithL is offline  
Old 06-30-2018, 07:21 PM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
TSXV6Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ontario (Canada)
Age: 53
Posts: 594
Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
It should be the exact same as the 2018. Maybe the label is different, but the physical parts should fit.
TSXV6Guy is online now  
Old 06-30-2018, 08:36 PM
  #3  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
KeithL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Age: 58
Posts: 5,007
Received 645 Likes on 380 Posts
That is what I was thinking, I need to check and just order 18 kit, this is insane.
KeithL is offline  
Old 07-01-2018, 09:00 AM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
Greg D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NJ
Age: 39
Posts: 210
Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
The kits are the same for both 18/19 A-Specs... They are on national back order and have been for quite a while.
Greg D is offline  
Old 07-01-2018, 09:40 AM
  #5  
Registered Member
 
ESHBG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 741
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Not excusing it but outside of us car nuts no one knows how to change a tire anymore, I am shocked by the amount of people who have been driving for years and never even attempted to learn. So...little incentive for manufacturers to make this a priority.
ESHBG is offline  
Old 07-01-2018, 10:39 AM
  #6  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
KeithL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Age: 58
Posts: 5,007
Received 645 Likes on 380 Posts
You don’t need to know how to change a tire to value a spare. While had an issue a while back on her RDX, she called AAA and they changed the tire and she’s got to tire store to have bad tire replaced. Had I known they were not going to have a spare for me for some time I would have told them two call me to pick up the car when the spare is in. As I said, lesson learned I will never pick up a car that does not have the spare installed.
KeithL is offline  
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (07-02-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 11:55 AM
  #7  
CPR
Registered Member
 
CPR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 709
Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts
As previously stated, my 2018 A-SPEC/SH-AWD/Tech, leased in December '18, HAS a SPARE TIRE for the 19" rims!
It was part of my overall deal, including tire insurance; ($8) month, wheel locks, All Season mats.
Had to wait a couple of weeks for delivery, but I have one
Essential for blowouts on pothole infested NYC roads
BTW: I'm 6 months in on my vehicle, & still loving it
Drove 250 miles upstate yesterday, & averaged 31MPG/Premium fuel, at 75MPH, with CC cranking, at 72*; (loving my cool ventilated seats); 94-97* yesterday, with high humidity
Also love that you can pre auto- program the CC to adjust the seat vents to the AC temps
No wheel vibration, shimmy, or other problems; loving the sound the car makes, when you downshift; (press the accelerator), at 60-70 MPH
Just subtle enough to think you're in a sports car
Go Acura!
CPR is offline  
Old 07-01-2018, 10:59 PM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
joflewbyu2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 50
Posts: 165
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
It is funny to read the comments about a temporary spare tire craze. I remember in the early 90s when manufacturers went from a full size spare to the temporary donut spare that is speed and distance limited. No one wanted the donuts back then but now they do - LoL !!!
joflewbyu2 is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 03:43 AM
  #9  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
KeithL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Age: 58
Posts: 5,007
Received 645 Likes on 380 Posts
Back then they wanted the full size spare. There are enough stories just on these forums of people that have had serious tire issues that having the spare was the fastest and easiest way to get moving again. There are plenty of people that still don’t realize their car does not have a spare and hopefully will not get caught without one when they need it. And again the first time someone gets stranded and hurt or killed due to lack of a spare I suspect things may change. Personally I consider it a safety issue and as I said had they told m it was indefinitely back ordered I would not have picked up the car.
KeithL is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 05:45 AM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Age: 66
Posts: 278
Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts
In addition to no longer offering a spare tire Acura decided for some reason to now only offer low profile 40 series tires on the AWD Tech and Advance models for 2019. I have said this previously-low profiles are appropriate to offer on the ASPEC model-no need for them on all models. I continue to think this was a bad decision-more parts of the country now have the potholed roads we have been plagued with in the north east and whether you have a spare or tire insurance-I for one will not buy any car with 40 series tires again and increase the odds of a blowout.
Pens Fan is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 06:26 AM
  #11  
Registered Member
 
TSXV6Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ontario (Canada)
Age: 53
Posts: 594
Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Pens Fan View Post
In addition to no longer offering a spare tire Acura decided for some reason to now only offer low profile 40 series tires on the AWD Tech and Advance models for 2019. I have said this previously-low profiles are appropriate to offer on the ASPEC model-no need for them on all models. I continue to think this was a bad decision-more parts of the country now have the potholed roads we have been plagued with in the north east and whether you have a spare or tire insurance-I for one will not buy any car with 40 series tires again and increase the odds of a blowout.
Completely agree. This is the main reason I did not pick up the 2018 A-spec, even thought I prefer how it looks over the "regular" model. 18 inch wheels are already pushing it to the max on pothole infested roads.
TSXV6Guy is online now  
The following users liked this post:
Pens Fan (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 12:59 PM
  #12  
Senior Moderator
 
neuronbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cleveland area, OH
Posts: 19,267
Received 3,532 Likes on 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
Well it seems the 2019 TLX ASPEC spare kit p/n 06421-T23-A802A is not even released yet. Nice of them of sell a car where you can;t even buy the spare. This trend of no spare is getting annoying. This is the last time I take delivery of a car without the spare installed. I can't even order it as the part has not been released.
Amen, brother. I have been railing about this dumb weight reduction/fuel economy improvement by spare tire removal for years. What a pain in the butt! My son, once he is at driving age, WILL know how to change a spare.
neuronbob is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 03:38 PM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Age: 66
Posts: 278
Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy View Post
Completely agree. This is the main reason I did not pick up the 2018 A-spec, even thought I prefer how it looks over the "regular" model. 18 inch wheels are already pushing it to the max on pothole infested roads.
Yes I did the same 2018 AWD Tech for me as well.I would have to pass on the 2019 model if I were in the market now and that would be a shame as i really enjoy this car. I would not pay extra to swap wheels or tires-I tried seeing if that would be possible on the 2018 RLX Hybrid (left two messages for Jonathan Rivers the RLX and TLX product planner but he did not return either call so I passed on the RLX low profile tires and picked up the 2018 TLX)..
Pens Fan is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 06:14 PM
  #14  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
KeithL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Age: 58
Posts: 5,007
Received 645 Likes on 380 Posts
I called ACS and as expected they could care less “you knew there was no spare correct” and I said yes, but it I was told it was due in within 3 days and that had I known the spare was not available I would not have bought the car. I still wonder how many buyers they don’t know there is no spare. And I bet numerous people found out the hard way and never called to complain. I wish some state would grow balls and make it illegal to sell without a spare or make people sign something that they know there is no spare. As I said I will never take delivery of a vehicle without the spare being in the car.
KeithL is offline  
The following users liked this post:
someguy11 (06-13-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 06:25 PM
  #15  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Age: 63
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg D View Post
The kits are the same for both 18/19 A-Specs... They are on national back order and have been for quite a while.
I just purchased a new '19 TLX and fell victim to this issue. My sales rep checked on the status of this conversion kit. He said it was back ordered. Does anyone have anything further on this? Wow.
tlx19 is offline  
Old 06-13-2019, 07:04 AM
  #16  
Some Guy Who Loves Cars
 
someguy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Age: 36
Posts: 168
Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post

I called ACS and as expected they could care less “you knew there was no spare correct” and I said yes, but it I was told it was due in within 3 days and that had I known the spare was not available I would not have bought the car. I still wonder how many buyers they don’t know there is no spare. And I bet numerous people found out the hard way and never called to complain. I wish some state would grow balls and make it illegal to sell without a spare or make people sign something that they know there is no spare. As I said I will never take delivery of a vehicle without the spare being in the car.
KeithL, great post. I only know there isn't a spare because I was hanging out around here long enough to see a thread titled "no spare" or something. Even if new buyers were informed of the lack of a spare, certified and used buyers may not learn about this until they have a flat and look in the trunk. That would have happened to me without the forum. After 20 years of driving, I never fathomed a car that didn't come with run-flats would not have a spare. It's an awful feeling to worry about getting stranded at the mercy of a tow company or the Acura service line. Like I said elsewhere on the forum, it's practically driving without insurance.
someguy11 is online now  
Old 06-13-2019, 06:19 PM
  #17  
Registered Member
 
Rocketsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,547
Received 524 Likes on 292 Posts
The "no spare tire" trend is fairly common nowadays -- I read that over 1/3 of vehicles being sold today don't have one, but yeah. At least have run-flats (which I hate). I'm guessing manufacturers are trying to make a bit more money by making you pay for something that used to be included, get better fuel economy, or a combination of both. That being said, I don't have a spare. I rarely have had to use one in the past, and I could always call a tow truck or something since insurance already (sorta) pays for it, so why carry around dead weight in the trunk? Not to mention with a messed up back, I don't feel confident I wouldn't kill myself trying to change it. lol. Nowadays though, I'm thinking I may get the spare tire on my next car -- just in case.

BTW, it's kind of pathetic they are still having shortages on this kit.
Rocketsfan is offline  
Old 06-14-2019, 09:43 AM
  #18  
Registered Member
 
ESHBG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 741
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan View Post
The "no spare tire" trend is fairly common nowadays -- I read that over 1/3 of vehicles being sold today don't have one, but yeah. At least have run-flats (which I hate). I'm guessing manufacturers are trying to make a bit more money by making you pay for something that used to be included, get better fuel economy, or a combination of both. That being said, I don't have a spare. I rarely have had to use one in the past, and I could always call a tow truck or something since insurance already (sorta) pays for it, so why carry around dead weight in the trunk? Not to mention with a messed up back, I don't feel confident I wouldn't kill myself trying to change it. lol. Nowadays though, I'm thinking I may get the spare tire on my next car -- just in case.

BTW, it's kind of pathetic they are still having shortages on this kit.
That and when you look at it from a company's cost benefit analysis perspective you are spending money to manufacture something that most people won't ever use because they don't experience a flat and if they are in the situation where they need it still won't use it, as they don't want to or don't know how. Also, I have found that the tools included are generally inadequate and a breaker bar and better jack are really the key to success when trying to put on a spare...you can get the job done with what is included (most times) but wow can it sometimes be a painful process.

But I am an example of having a spare saving one's ass (multiple times) and I have been back up and running within minutes when roadside assistance would have been a 2 hr. ETA.
ESHBG is offline  
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (06-14-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 09:18 PM
  #19  
Registered Member
 
steve_97060's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 65
Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
I picked up a 2019 ASpec in December and they had the spare tire kit ordered and installed in a week.
steve_97060 is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
OA5599
Third Generation RDX (2019+)
20
06-26-2019 11:30 AM
08 NBP TL
Fourth Generation TL (2009-2014)
1
09-20-2018 09:01 PM
08 NBP TL
Car Parts for Sale
0
09-27-2010 06:38 PM
TypeSKid
Second Generation CL Discussion (2000-2003)
1
06-27-2001 01:59 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 TLX Spare Tire Kit not available yet, urgh...


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.