is TLX worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 09:48 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question is TLX worth it?

Hi All,

i'm about to buy a 2015 TLX V6 Tech with 38k miles on it for about 26k. Car runs great, looks great and all that jazz. The TLX is the reason u actually started the car search, i thought it was beautiful inside and out.

I'm here asking all of your opinions if it's worth the purchase. I'm looking at Japanese sport sedans (4 door) with a little pep but is also a comfortable ride.

Side note- i'm also thinking of getting an aftermarket Intake for the car. is it worth it for this model?

Thanks everyone!

BB
Old 04-10-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
generally, aftermarket intakes dont do jack shit.
Acura's STOCK intakes are cold air intakes from the factory. why any one would change it out for a crappy aftermarket one is beyond me....

and if you are looking for a pseudo-sports sedan, then you've come to the right place...
only YOUR opinion counts...and if you like the TLX and it covers all of your needs and wants...that's ALL that matters..
Purchase the car...

asking for subjective opinions is an odd way of picking a car....as we are not the ones that are going to be driving it every day...you are
Old 04-10-2017, 12:48 PM
8th Gear

that's a solid point. i'm looking for opinions from people who have already purchased this car with their opinions on if it remains as good as when it was purchased. nothing worse than making a purchase because it's a very good NEW purchase but breaks easily or has mechanical issues right-away.

always good researching and driving different cars to make sure you're making your best decision; thats why i'm asking opinions, even though mine is the only one that matters when buying a car.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:51 PM

probably would have been better to phrase your question as such....
"just wondering if the TLX suffered from any problems, or are there any common mishaps that I should be aware of?"

the earlier cars had first year woes...
but have been fixed via software updates.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
I'd suggest to take a look at the transmission thread related to the ZF9 shifting behavior. Didn't bother me at first, now I'm counting down the days to replace my 15 TLX. The 15s are notoriously bad for having odd shifting logic (doesn't accelerate, harshly drops gears like the devil). Getting a 2016 would be an interesting idea (if not too much more). Make sure you really test drive the car before committing. Much less headaches later, believe me!
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 01:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
generally, aftermarket intakes dont do jack shit.
Acura's STOCK intakes are cold air intakes from the factory. why any one would change it out for a crappy aftermarket one is beyond me....
You know, you keep saying that... But I have yet to see you post any evidence supporting your claim. I'm not saying you're not right... But it sounds like a bunch of hearsay from some dude, somewhere, being propagated forward for years now. Where is the dyno evidence?!

oem intakes are designed to be quiet, and little more. They aren't designed for high air flow. Just because there's a small cutout in the front bumper, doesn't make the rest of the system superb for airflow.

That being said, aftermarket intakes are a bit of mystery. The majority of them show they gain power up top... But what the manufacturers don't tell you is they lose power down low.... They essentially just shift the power curve a bit, making you feel like you've gained power. But not all intakes are created equal. If a manufacturer has dyno charts supporting their product, and you can actually see power being added down low and up high, then it's a win. I don't know what kind of aftermarket support there is for the TLX, but if no one is showing any charts to support their claims, well, it might be more just for sound and eye candy under the hood, rather than for power gains. Just something to consider. As always, research is your friend!!
Old 04-10-2017, 02:06 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
I'd suggest to take a look at the transmission thread related to the ZF9 shifting behavior. Didn't bother me at first, now I'm counting down the days to replace my 15 TLX. The 15s are notoriously bad for having odd shifting logic (doesn't accelerate, harshly drops gears like the devil). Getting a 2016 would be an interesting idea (if not too much more). Make sure you really test drive the car before committing. Much less headaches later, believe me!
Thanks for the response.

I've actually read about the SH-AWD having issues because that model will turn off a few cylinders when cruising to maximize the MPG but doing so causes problems. I wonder if it's specific to your model. Also, i do love my cars, but i'm not quite as savvy as probably anyone on this page making it this far. I'm currently in an 02 nissan and that thing refuses to die. I'm mostly concerned with the transition from something older that will never die (like a flip phone) to something new with all the bells and whistles (iphones). I'm sure i'll love it and i'll never want to go back, but there's the concern of how much up-keep is required for ALL of that technology and advancements.
How's the dual touch screens? are they intuitive enough? i fear it may be an un-safe piece of technology that just makes me take my eyes off the road. i much prefer buttons.

Thoughts?
Old 04-10-2017, 02:11 PM
Team Owner

Honestly, only a test drive can answer those questions for you!!!
Old 04-10-2017, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBello
You know, you keep saying that... But I have yet to see you post any evidence supporting your claim. I'm not saying you're not right... But it sounds like a bunch of hearsay from some dude, somewhere, being propagated forward for years now. Where is the dyno evidence?!

oem intakes are designed to be quiet, and little more. They aren't designed for high air flow. Just because there's a small cutout in the front bumper, doesn't make the rest of the system superb for airflow.

That being said, aftermarket intakes are a bit of mystery. The majority of them show they gain power up top... But what the manufacturers don't tell you is they lose power down low.... They essentially just shift the power curve a bit, making you feel like you've gained power. But not all intakes are created equal. If a manufacturer has dyno charts supporting their product, and you can actually see power being added down low and up high, then it's a win. I don't know what kind of aftermarket support there is for the TLX, but if no one is showing any charts to support their claims, well, it might be more just for sound and eye candy under the hood, rather than for power gains. Just something to consider. As always, research is your friend!!

generally, auto manufactures will provide balance between power and NVH.
NVH is taken care of by a helmholtz resonator

and if you take a look at your Z or any of the Acura's, you'll find piping from the bottom of the bumper that leads to the air filter box.
this is not done by accident!

also, as more cars go turbocharged, you'll find that auto manufactures tune or maximise air flow.
why would acura up the throttle body diameters?
went from 67mm in like the CL's and TL's to almost 80mm in the 4G's

also, i wouldnt trust intake manufacture dynos...as dynos can be manipulated.

Last edited by justnspace; 04-10-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:26 PM
Team Owner

generally, auto manufactures will provide balance between power and NVH.
NVH is taken care of by a helmholtz resonator

and if you take a look at your Z or any of the Acura's, you'll find piping from the bottom of the bumper that leads to the air filter box.
this is not done by accident!

also, as more cars go turbocharged, you'll find that auto manufactures tune or maximise air flow.
why would acura up the throttle body diameters?
went from 67mm in like the CL's and TL's to almost 80mm in the 4G's

also, i wouldnt trust intake manufacture dynos...as dynos can be manipulated.
I agree with your statement. It's a balance between NVH and power. So it is not optimized for power.
justnspace (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 02:30 PM

okay, fair...but adding an intake that wasn't engineered for the car...(generic aftermarket intakes) wont maximize power either
Old 04-10-2017, 03:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
ummm....going to suggest that you don't piss Bruce Banner off
The following 2 users liked this post by quantum7:
justnspace (04-10-2017), TacoBello (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 05:46 PM

Old 04-10-2017, 05:53 PM
Team Owner

okay, fair...but adding an intake that wasn't engineered for the car...(generic aftermarket intakes) wont maximize power either
true. The engine bay in itself makes it almost impossible to maximize the design of an intake. I mean, ultimately you're going to be forced to put bends somewhere, due to the space constraints and other body metal or other car parts being in the way. Even the length of the tube needs to be optimized, but there are constraints in the way.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
2015 TLX Advance, has been worth every penny.

My main downsides:
1. infotainment/navi system - old and slow.
2. rear camera quality. Yeah it gets the job done, but with rainy season it's useless, water collects right on the lens.
3. lack of storage. Especially compared to the 3G TL, Acura definitely cut some corners here, ZERO storage in the rear doors

And that's really all I can say in terms of negatives. I've had maybe one or two occurrences where the transmission acted funny and was slow to react, but otherwise nothing. I had a rattle going on by the sunroof last summer, but local dealer couldn't find the issue and I haven't heard it again since. Otherwise the car is super comfortable, gets great gas mileage, has good pickup when needed, and overall is an awesome daily.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Bruce Banner driving a 2015 TLX with its transmission issues ... this won't end well ...
Old 04-10-2017, 08:22 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
OP, before I'd pay 26k for a 2015, I'd go and see what you can get a brand new 2017 for. The 2018's going to be out, soon, and the dealers, plus Acura, as well, want to get rid of the '17's. As far as I know, the 18's supposed to have a new front end, at least, and that's why Acura wants to push out the 17's. So, the discounts are, supposedly, huge! Maybe as much as 10k off! That would bring the car you want down to about 30k.

I could be totally wrong, but, I could be right, right?

Last edited by Beak14; 04-10-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:39 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I own a 2015 TLX V6 Advance and I would not touch another 2015 V6 with a 100 foot pole. The transmission makes me curse this car almost every day. Get a 2016 if you want a used TLX. Even if you pay a little more. Just don't think about a 2015.
pyrodan007 (04-10-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 07:40 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I own a 2015 TLX V6 Advance and I would not touch another 2015 V6 with a 100 foot pole. The transmission makes me curse this car almost every day. Get a 2016 if you want a used TLX. Even if you pay a little more. Just don't think about a 2015.
do you think it has anything to do with how the Advance SH-AWD makes some of the cylinders turn off? I'm avoiding that package for pretty much just that reason.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce Banner 1123
do you think it has anything to do with how the Advance SH-AWD makes some of the cylinders turn off? I'm avoiding that package for pretty much just that reason.
no, it's the ZF9speed transmission that likes to hunt and pause gears
supposedly, they updated it with software fixes...

but thats why you're supposed to go test drive..
see if you can spot what these people are saying
Old 04-11-2017, 09:21 AM
8th Gear

no, it's the ZF9speed transmission that likes to hunt and pause gears
supposedly, they updated it with software fixes...

but thats why you're supposed to go test drive..
see if you can spot what these people are saying
what are the odds a '15 Tlx had this update if its only had one owner and now lives at a Chevy Dealership? my guess is unless they did all their repairs at an Acura dealership, it isnt fixed.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:35 AM

what are the odds a '15 Tlx had this update if its only had one owner and now lives at a Chevy Dealership? my guess is unless they did all their repairs at an Acura dealership, it isnt fixed.
again, you're asking third parties.
you need to be asking straight from the horses mouth.
GO TEST DRIVE and inquire about it's service history....

if its been maintained by Acura, it will have its software updated...
go test drive and view the car. ask about the service history.
they'll even give you a car fax sheet of the car for free.
then you can even call acura with the VIN number and see if all the recalls and software has been updated
Old 04-11-2017, 09:46 AM
8th Gear

again, you're asking third parties.
you need to be asking straight from the horses mouth.
GO TEST DRIVE and inquire about it's service history....

if its been maintained by Acura, it will have its software updated...
go test drive and view the car. ask about the service history.
they'll even give you a car fax sheet of the car for free.
then you can even call acura with the VIN number and see if all the recalls and software has been updated
i've driven it a bunch of times, i have a carfax - type of sheet, but it's not carfax. i'll see what i can get from acura. that's a very good idea with contacting them, never considered it. This is also my first "large" car purchase, so i'm just feeling out what others have to say.
justnspace (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 09:47 AM

sorry, if im a bit brash.

so, during the test drive...did you feel that the car was jerking and not performing like a car should??
Old 04-11-2017, 09:51 AM
8th Gear

sorry, if im a bit brash.

so, during the test drive...did you feel that the car was jerking and not performing like a car should??
brash is my preferred method of delivery, so i apprecite it more than anything really.

i'm driving an 02 altima that wont die. i have driven many others that have different shift points and upshift/downshift their own way. this just seemed to have it's own way. i also drove a few accords and infinitis. When i first got my altima i thought it shifted funny, but now i'm used to it and can manipulate it how i want when i'm driving. i think all of those "jerks" is from not knowing how to drive that engine/transmission. its happened on all cars i drive; whether it's now or throughout the years.

Nothing beats a manual though
Old 04-11-2017, 11:55 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Take it for an extended test drive, like over a weekend. If the dealer won't allow it, pass. I've done that with a 2016 TLX and didn't buy it. Saved me a lot of headaches.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:34 PM
Team Owner

Agreed. I highly suggest doing an extended test drive with any car you want to buy. I think it's kind of BS a dealership (any dealership) expects you to drop 15,000-115,000 on a car that you've only driven for 20 minutes.

If the dealer won't give you an extended test drive, go to another Acura dealer. Orr.... Escalate it to the assistant sales manager, then sales manager, then general manager, then owner, until someone gives you what you want need. The beauty with this tactic is that eventually, someone who makes a lot of money will be like "I don't want to deal with this shit. Let him take the car." And don't back down!!! They want your business. And it's your hard earned money you are giving them to make sure you are happy.

I can understand them Not doing it for certain cars, like a new NSX, or civic type r, but for a used TLX... C'mon. It's not that it's not a nice car, but it's not something you will likely be hooning and doing burn outs in.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:13 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by slimm1469
Take it for an extended test drive, like over a weekend. If the dealer won't allow it, pass. I've done that with a 2016 TLX and didn't buy it. Saved me a lot of headaches.
Agree with this! Take as many test drives as possible or for a long as possible. Personally, I prob would stay away from a 2015.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:42 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Civic2TSX
Agree with this! Take as many test drives as possible or for a long as possible. Personally, I prob would stay away from a 2015.
agreed with the amount of time behind the wheel. but just for arguments sake.. say i dont get the TLX. what would you all consider me checking out? Honda Accord touring? Q50? Lexus IS/GS? i'm avoiding German like the plague. (maintenance reasons)
Old 04-11-2017, 07:24 PM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
get a prius, you seem like a prius type of person
Old 04-11-2017, 11:32 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
My car has been updated twice and is at the current version and no improvement to speak of. Having the software update means nothing. In fact right after the update and before this POS transmission does its 'learning' it performs better. Once it has 'learned' which takes about 500 miles, it is back to its old ways. So a really clever dealership can update the software which re-sets this behavior and then has 500 miles of good test drives on the car. So if you can convince them to let you have the car for a 500 mile test drive you might be ok. Just get a 2016.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:00 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
You're not understanding... there potentially is no "fix" for the 9-speed transmission. The various software updates made my car "better" but the shifting can still be wonky and there's still a "bump" during many shifts. For many, replacing the transmission has solved their problems and they're ok with the results. For others, even replacing the transmission apparently wasn't enough. For others, Acura won't replace the transmission. And lastly, a software fix may temporarily make the transmission shift better, but it will revert back to garbage/annoying shifting again, so if they re-program the transmission before you drive it, it may drive fine or "fine enough" only to revert back later. And whatever you do, don't believe any dealer that says the transmission issues were fixed. Like I said previously, not in all cases.

My suggestion : don't buy it. If I had to do it over again, I'd get something like an IS 350. You'll definitely lose gas mileage, but may actually enjoy driving if you're ok with its styling. lol. I was set on getting an ATS or Q50 when they first came out, but they had terrible issues, as well, so I bought the TLX as a sort of "welp, guess this is what's left" because I wasn't keen on going German at the time.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
I had 2015 TLX SH-AWD Tech for about 5-6 months and I sold it because I could not stand the car overall. Crappy transmission, crappy navi/ui, tons of vibrations on the highway, lack or storage. I went back and got myself 2014 TL SH-AWD - overall much better car in any dimension, for me at least, except the gas milage, but coming from the 3G TL which I owned for almost 11 years, the gas mileage sucked almost as much as 4g TL - give or take 1-2 MPGs.

If your budget does not allow you to get 2016 or 2017 models which supposedly are 'slightly' improved, I would look for 2013-2014 TL and save even more money!
Old 04-23-2017, 06:10 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Beak14
OP, before I'd pay 26k for a 2015, I'd go and see what you can get a brand new 2017 for. The 2018's going to be out, soon, and the dealers, plus Acura, as well, want to get rid of the '17's. As far as I know, the 18's supposed to have a new front end, at least, and that's why Acura wants to push out the 17's. So, the discounts are, supposedly, huge! Maybe as much as 10k off! That would bring the car you want down to about 30k.

I could be totally wrong, but, I could be right, right?
My thoughts exactly! On the other TLX forum, members are OTD with a brand new 2017 for that price and less.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:03 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought myself a 2017 TLX V6 ELITE at a SUPER discount ($6600 Canadian dollars). I've seen similar rebates/promotions offered in US. I say the best time to buy a 2017 TLX is now or never.