TLX Rocks Back and Forth After Coming to a Stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 05:40 PM
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonyware
A thought crossed my mind.... can someone report the gasoline level in their car when it rocks, jel-o or whatever? Lets see if we can find, or not, a correlation between level of gas in the tank and the effect.
Gas level has no bearing on issue. It's a well documented suspension problem. Dealers and Acura are very aware of issue.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
Just got my SH-AWD Elite today and immediately, I noticed this. I don't feel this when I brake at the traffic lights. However, if I brake to come to a complete stop, turn off the car and then take my foot off of the brake pedal, I feel this right away. There are even some rhythmic knocking sounds that would last for a few seconds afterwards as if there is a pendulum swinging back and forth at the back of the car!!! Hmm.... what a strange feeling.
Hey OSTRICH.....Congrats on your new TLX! I was curious which color you got but now I see it in your signature. I Was curious if you were going to go white but I think you made a great decision. And you went with the ELITE....Good for you, might as well go for the gold when you are at this price range and the you will enjoy the puddle lights and ventilated seats

Please keep me posted on how the throttle feels after a while and whether it adjust with your driving....that is the single thing holding me back at the moment. This back-forth motion although weird would likely not both me too much.
The following users liked this post:
ostrich (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 11:10 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Hey OSTRICH.....Congrats on your new TLX! I was curious which color you got but now I see it in your signature. I Was curious if you were going to go white but I think you made a great decision. And you went with the ELITE....Good for you, might as well go for the gold when you are at this price range and the you will enjoy the puddle lights and ventilated seats

Please keep me posted on how the throttle feels after a while and whether it adjust with your driving....that is the single thing holding me back at the moment. This back-forth motion although weird would likely not both me too much.
Thanks, Weather! I have to say that after having driven it for half a day today, I felt that it was even much better than the test drive!!! :-)

I do want to clarify one thing though - earlier in this thread, I said that I did not feel the back and forth motion when braking at the traffic light. Well, this evening, I paid more attention to it and noticed it definitely even when I braked at the traffic light! I did not like that feeling.... hmm....

Once my break in period is over, I will certainly push it harder and let you know how the throttle feels! I must emphasize that this thing is deceptively fast though, as it's so quiet and smooth that one hardly realized that it was accelerating briskly!

I am very happy that I paid less and got myself a lovely V6 engine, rather than much more money for a German car with a much less refined 4 cylinder turbo engine - they just cannot compare to the refined behaviour of the Acura V6, especially during idle.....

I miss looking at the exterior design of my 4G TL already but I really enjoy driving this TLX SH-AWD Elite so much more!!! :-)
Old 10-26-2014, 07:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I think you made the right decision by not going German. I agree that it is hard to beat the buttery smooth Acura/Honda engines and their naturally aspired technology.

No question the TLX is quick, I never doubted that and my test drive confirmed on how quick and quiet the TLX accelerated to the 110 km/h mark....I'll be trying another test drive later this week so I'll report back.

The TL certainly had a unique and polarizing look.....It was a love it/hate it sort of thing and I am one that also loved it (except from the rear view which I was somewhat lukewarm to it). Although the TLX is not as bold, I think it looks better from all angles and I would have no problems being seen in one and would only compliment my incredibly good looks *lol*

As far as the jello-effect, I hope that Acura wil lidentify what is causing it and provide a fix as it seems to be talked about quite a bit here and not something that people are fond of.

I can't wait to see what the MMC will bring to the ILX and then will need to decide whether it will be a 2015 ILX Dynamic, 2016 ILX Dynamic or 2015 IS 350 F Sport

At the moment....I am leaning toward the Lexus but at the same time, there is a huge price difference between both (and I know its justifiable as they are two difference beasts) but I am trying to decide how much enjoyment the Lexus will bring over the ILX and whether it will be worth the price difference. No doubt the Lexus will be better, but THAT MUCH better is the question.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:01 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Has anyone observed this problem with SH-AWD?
Old 10-27-2014, 01:53 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My guess is the determining factor in whether people report their car does it or not is simply whether they notice. The issue is subtle, and my guess is it is just inherent to the design of the car, angle of the shocks, etc. It's hard to imagine any "fix" being released for this, as they aren't going to be installing extra shocks in addition to the standard ones or anything, and I doubt a minor adjustment would make a difference.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:05 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexboculon
My guess is the determining factor in whether people report their car does it or not is simply whether they notice. The issue is subtle, and my guess is it is just inherent to the design of the car, angle of the shocks, etc. It's hard to imagine any "fix" being released for this, as they aren't going to be installing extra shocks in addition to the standard ones or anything, and I doubt a minor adjustment would make a difference.
The gentle rocking back and forth for 1 cycle or so coming to a stop can be subtle.
The bouncing back and forth after you put the car in park and release the brakes is not subtle. lol. *boing* *boing*
ostrich (10-28-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 12:32 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
The gentle rocking back and forth for 1 cycle or so coming to a stop can be subtle.
The bouncing back and forth after you put the car in park and release the brakes is not subtle. lol. *boing* *boing*
That's right, Rocketsfan! You have explained it the best around here! LOL

I don't mind that subtle rocking at the traffic light. However, that jell-O or "boing boing" thing after you put the car in park is terrible. As I had mentioned in another thread, manually putting the electronic brake on will eliminate that. So I am gladly doing it every time now! :-)

And yes, I have a SH-AWD and it is happening with mine for sure.... so it's not just for P-AWS.
9SpeedTran (10-28-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 12:19 PM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
It is NOT 1 cycle. It's 4-5. The amplitude may be less but it's still happening. On a drive I put the car in park 1 time at the end, however I may have to stop 10 times for lights and stop signs so to me that's the bigger issue.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:15 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by jeich182
It is NOT 1 cycle. It's 4-5. The amplitude may be less but it's still happening. On a drive I put the car in park 1 time at the end, however I may have to stop 10 times for lights and stop signs so to me that's the bigger issue.
If that's happening to you coming to a stop at a light, then your issue may be way worse than mine. What you're saying happens coming to a stop at a light is what happens to me sometimes when I park my car. It seems worse on an incline to me, but that my just be coincidence.

Also, the rocking when coming to a stop at a light for me has become less noticeable. Either that or I'm getting used to it. lol.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:30 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the V6 AWD Tech and noticed it the first day. I only notice it when I park on a level surface, such as my garage. I didn't think much of it since I was driving an 05 TL 6SPM and would always put on the parking brake. Now that I've transitioned to an automatic, I thought the rocking back and forth was just from putting the car in park and then releasing my foot off the brake pedal. I think there is always a little bit of play in an automatic after putting the car in park. Applying the parking brake totally eliminates the issue.

Although all automatics have this symptom after putting the car in park, I am a little taken back on how noticeable it is in the TLX. I can certainly live with it but it won't hurt my feelings if the Acura engineers can figure out a way to reduce or eliminate it.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
You already hit on the solution; apply the parking brake before turning off the engine.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:36 AM
Racer

I'm more bothered by the rocking/bobbing during normal stopping (not parking). It's not as pronounced but it's there. One of the things I'm starting to really not like about this car is how careful I have to be driving it. Ease off the brake when stopping to keep it from rocking. Ease off the brake or use the ebrake whenever parking to keep it from rocking. Stab the throttle coming out of turns because it's reluctant to downshift even in sport mode. Reset the rain sensing wipers when they start to go crazy. Reset the climate control when it blows hard from the defroster when it doesn't need to. Now the turn signal stalk clicks when I push it for the 3-4 blinks left but it won't do it if I turn the signal on all the way. Oh yeah and don't forget to turn the heated seat on every time you get into the car because it won't remember (super annoying when running errands on a cold day). I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO THINK SO MUCH ABOUT A CAR TO AVOID ANNOYING QUIRKS WHEN DRIVING IT. And I didn't even mention VCM vibrations or the hard 2-3 shift.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

A couple of friendly questions, really. How much of this are you going to moan and complain about, maybe more than once, and then do nothing about? My suggestion, since you are hanging around here, is to find out what others seem to think is normal or a problem, then take it in for servicing. Be firm but assertive in getting them resolved.

- rocking when braking is a characteristic of the car (it's trying to improve your driving style, anticipate stopping and brake smoothly)
- reluctant downshifting (it's not turned for sport racing, maybe the ECU will learn your driving style)
- rain sensing wipers, not normal
- climate control, not normal
- turn signal stalk, not normal
- heated seats, that's the way they work (next time get the Advance model which turns them on automatically)
MedX172 (12-24-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Racer

I maybe got on a rant there and shouldn't have but I likewise don't appreciate your accusation. The car has been to the dealer for the rocking and rain sensing wipers, they "weren't able to duplicate the problem" for the things I had it in for that day except the VCM vibration which Acura supposedly knows about.
As for my driving style, I can and do brake smoothly to avoid the rocking but it takes a conscious effort as even stops from speeds that barely even register on speedometer can cause it, like creeping in traffic.
The turn signal stalk issue just started yesterday.
Because they're "unable to duplicate" almost every damn thing I take it in for I dread taking it in for things like the climate control where I don't even know the exact scenario that makes it act weird.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

No offense intended, and my apologies if you took it that way. I know going back and forth to the dealer can be a frustrating experience, thus my firm but assertive comment. If the rocking s that bad then you should be able to demonstrate it to the dealer and go from there.