TLX Rain Sensing Wipers not Working!

Old 09-13-2014, 03:51 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
TLX Rain Sensing Wipers not Working!

I just took delivery of the TLX TECH yesterday. Fantastic car. Love every nuance of this car and in the process of discovering more.

One discovery... It seems the Auto Rain Sensing Wipers are not working. Raining today quite hard at times, I have the wiper shaft in "Auto" and set to the highest sensitivity. It won't swipe the windshield once today, not one time. Can't see out of the windshield until I switch it on.

Is there anything I can check myself before bringing it in? I'd rather work on the car myself before letting them touch it. I've read I can pop the camera cover off behind the rear view mirror to check the connector but I can't seem to get it off.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
joeddmd\ (09-28-2014)
Old 09-13-2014, 04:06 PM
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts
It's under warranty. Take it in and get a loaner!
FWIW my auto wipers work great so something is wrong.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:25 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree, i would just bring it in. But I also am a big baby about that stuff, if its under warranty I want them to fix it so they are responsible, not me.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:02 PM
Instructor

I guess I probably should. If it's simple enough like plugging in a connector I'd rather be the guy messing around in there. I'm a little anal that way.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzyguy
I guess I probably should. If it's simple enough like plugging in a connector I'd rather be the guy messing around in there. I'm a little anal that way.
You'd rather try to fix it yourself and possibly void your warranty if it affects the ECU? The ECU controls that system. FYI.

Don't chance it.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
It's a connector, not the damn ECU. He's not going to get his warranty voided. Sheesh.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:18 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
It is possible there there is some reset sequence to get it to work again (I am sure the shop manual has it). The question to ask the dealer is whether the windshield was replaced before the car was delivered... suspicious!
Old 09-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
It's a connector, not the damn ECU. He's not going to get his warranty voided. Sheesh.
Excuse me for trying to protect the OP. Sheesh is right
Old 09-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We had a huge rain storm and my 2 week old Black TLX auto wipers did not work. I turned it into the dealership repair dept today to get them to fix it. We'll see, not happy about it.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by golftro
We had a huge rain storm and my 2 week old Black TLX auto wipers did not work. I turned it into the dealership repair dept today to get them to fix it. We'll see, not happy about it.
I hope it is a quick fix and you have her back ASAP
Old 09-17-2014, 11:09 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
FYI, a few days ago, my TLX was caught in a bit of a rain and the rain-sensing wiper feature did seem to work.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Maybe a dumb question assuming that it is a Tech or Advance model which has the auto feature. Did the wipers work in manual mode? What about the washer or mist functions?
Old 09-18-2014, 06:23 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Quandry
Maybe a dumb question assuming that it is a Tech or Advance model which has the auto feature. Did the wipers work in manual mode? What about the washer or mist functions?
Yes, those functions did work.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:14 AM
Instructor

Golftro,did your dealer resolve the problem? I'm curious as I'm having the same issue.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:27 PM
Cruisin'

Golftro,did your dealer resolve the problem? I'm curious as I'm having the same issue.
I called today and they said it works fine after they tested it with a spray bottle. I had it on auto and adjusted the sensitivity like the manual said and it didn't work so when I pick it up tomorrow I'll dig for more info. Mine is in the shop due to bad transmission, I pray you don't have this problem: https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-generation-tlx-2015-415/did-anyone-notice-low-speed-jerkiness-knocking-sound-transmission-917591/page2/#post15165285
Old 09-22-2014, 06:17 PM
Instructor

So I finally took my car in to get the wipers checked out. Sensor wasn't plugged in correctly from factory but they also said there was an air bubble in the sensor as well. Part is ordered.

Some of you asked why I was hoping to solve the problem myself... Scratched camera cover, grease on the headliner, scratched/scuffed up interior door panel. Why mechanics refuse to open the door all the way before getting out of the car and scraping their boot all over the door panel completely escapes me! This happens all the time.

Pictures of above sent to service manager. We'll see what happens. I'm insisting on a replacement interior door panel. They need to f#%^ing learn!
Old 09-24-2014, 10:20 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine doesnt work either drove about 5 times in the rain today. I changed the sensitivity from high to low and back and got nothing. The wipers worked fine when i manually adjusted them though.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by nab0610
Mine doesnt work either drove about 5 times in the rain today. I changed the sensitivity from high to low and back and got nothing. The wipers worked fine when i manually adjusted them though.
It sucks but take it into the dealership. They got mine working and also other extras turned on too like the A/C automatically adjusting when the car drives into the sun. I read about it before buying the car but never noticed it not working.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:11 PM
Cruisin'

So I finally took my car in to get the wipers checked out. Sensor wasn't plugged in correctly from factory but they also said there was an air bubble in the sensor as well. Part is ordered.

Some of you asked why I was hoping to solve the problem myself... Scratched camera cover, grease on the headliner, scratched/scuffed up interior door panel. Why mechanics refuse to open the door all the way before getting out of the car and scraping their boot all over the door panel completely escapes me! This happens all the time.

Pictures of above sent to service manager. We'll see what happens. I'm insisting on a replacement interior door panel. They need to f#%^ing learn!
Wow that sucks! When I got mine back I could smell stinky worker in mine. After I wiped the seats with a damp towel it went away. I'd stay on them, I hear the dealerships get money from Acura corporate for the work they do on cars under warranty.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Just wondering if you guys have your Auto wipers set for rain sensing vs intermitent. I think that is in the Setup mode. For rain sensing the setting is a bit confusing, I think. Is more sensitive set on the single drop indicator - that is how I read it in the manual?
The following users liked this post:
ShiftinAt8600 (09-27-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 08:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
For models that have rain-sensing wipers there is only one position for auto and intermittent, and I have not found anything under Settings related to this.

The confusions come in when the manual has to cover the variations between models that have the feature and those that do not. So from the manual for Auto adjustment, a single drop setting is less sensitivity (requires heavier rain to activate), and multiple drops is more sensitive (requires less rain to activate). This is counter intuitive to the icons and the Intermittent usage. I will have to verify the next time it rains.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 31 Likes on 7 Posts
I reported the auto wiper problems back on August 11th. I'm still having them. Basically, when it rains the sensitivity is very low to none at all. IE, they don't run in hard rain. Oddly enough, after raining, the next time I drive the car the wipers will run at a high speed while on auto, even though the windshield is dry. I'm thinking a connection may have been reversed. I don't want someone at the dealer pulling things apart and breaking clips and fasteners, so I'm going to wait till my next oil change. Hopefully a tsb will be out by then.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:04 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Living in the Seattle area it did not take me long to test this feature. Mine is working, and for the first 20 minutes of the drive it went very well. In Auto I could twist the selector to choose how much rain it would allow to be on the windshield.

However as Seattle does, it sprinkled for a while and then stopped. My wipers did not however. Not only did they not stop, they went on fast mode and were wiping across a dry windshield for at least 45 seconds, so I turned it off.

Considering I was driving someone around to show the car off to them, it was a bit annoying, but I would rather have oversensitive than not working at all.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by miner
Just wondering if you guys have your Auto wipers set for rain sensing vs intermitent. I think that is in the Setup mode. For rain sensing the setting is a bit confusing, I think. Is more sensitive set on the single drop indicator - that is how I read it in the manual?
This. I've noticed you have to put it DOWN a notch (intermittent position) from normal position and the switch turned to auto for it to work. Try it and see if it works.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:45 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
Issue mentioned in the 2015 Acura TLX One-Pack Update #11

https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...iative-916999/
Old 11-14-2014, 11:49 PM
10th Gear

I'm completely with you, Jazzyguy. 98% of the cosmetic damage that happens to my cars happens when I take it in to the "professionals." I've learned to do an awful lot of stuff on my own, and will always try to figure it out on my own before I'll take it in. Speaking of which, does anybody know if maintenance service manuals are available to the public? My salesman said he'll check for me, but as he doesn't have my car yet, I have no answer.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:47 AM
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by JetDriver
I'm completely with you, Jazzyguy. 98% of the cosmetic damage that happens to my cars happens when I take it in to the "professionals." I've learned to do an awful lot of stuff on my own, and will always try to figure it out on my own before I'll take it in. Speaking of which, does anybody know if maintenance service manuals are available to the public? My salesman said he'll check for me, but as he doesn't have my car yet, I have no answer.
Automobile service manuals are normally available to be public for $ from Helms, the same company that provides printed owner manuals for TLX. I would contact them for availability. However since Acura has been reluctant to provide comprehensive printed manuals with the car when purchased and opted for a CD instead, the service manuals could possibly be on CD also since so much stuff is being updated on the car and probably with much more to come.

BTW many customers still don't know printed owners manuals are available free of charge because sales people don't tell them when car is purchased and owners do not read the fine print on page three of the abbreviated booklet that is provided.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by golftro
Wow that sucks! When I got mine back I could smell stinky worker in mine. After I wiped the seats with a damp towel it went away. I'd stay on them, I hear the dealerships get money from Acura corporate for the work they do on cars under warranty.
You are correct. I was a comptroller for a number of car dealerships for 22 years, including an Acura store. The factory does pay the dealership to perform warranty repairs, both labor and parts.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the exact SAME frustrations every time I bring mine to the dealer... it always comes back with a new scuff, scratch, or grease mark somewhere. The surveys are completed accordingly but nothing seems to change.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:12 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/problem.../#post15545835
Old 04-04-2016, 10:47 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on my 2016 advance sh-awd model, i noticed the automatic wipers would not engage unless i put pressure on the sensor box under the mirror. Taking it into the dealer on wednesday
Old 09-13-2016, 09:31 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just as an FYI to add to this thread, the auto sensing did not work on my wipers right off the lot (it rained that day). After a second day of rain to verify it, I took it in today. They indicated that it had "not been installed correctly" - read that to mean that the wires were not connected (I specifically asked). Several posters here have indicated that same issue.