TLX Not Starting After Filling up Gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 04:10 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Exclamation TLX Not Starting After Filling up Gas

Hello, I have been having trouble with my car starting after filling up the gas tank. I only use premium 91 gas in it, and always put the nozzle on auto-fill and never top off the car and usually fill up when I have about 1/5 a tank left. The car tires to crank but will not start, and it takes a few tries of cranking it to finally turn on. This only happens at the gas pump right after I am done filling it, and never happens any other time I start my car. Car is a 2015 Acura TLX V6 Base with 40,000 miles. This problem only started happening in the last few hundred miles. I am planning on taking it into the dealer this week, but a little worried they might have a hard time diagnosing it. Sometimes it will start on the 2nd try, sometimes takes 3-4 tries
Old 06-06-2018, 12:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Hopefully they can resolve the issue. I'm at 42000 miles and actually had trouble starting it just a week ago. My first attempt didn't work for some reason, but second was no issue. I had thought maybe I didn't push the start button down enough, but honestly can't remember what had happened now.

Last edited by dezymond; 06-06-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dezymond
Hopefully they can resolve the issue. I'm at 42000 miles and actually had trouble starting it just a week ago. My first attempt didn't work for some reason, but second was no issue. I had thought maybe I didn't push the start button down enough, but honestly can't remember what had happened now.
Did you have trouble after filling up gas also? I thought I was not depressing the brake enough at first so it wasn't starting, but I started to really pay attention since it kept happening at the gas station and that was not it. It tries to crank so I know the battery and starter are okay (it also starts fine every single time outside of the gas station). I took it to the dealer yesterday with about half a tank left, and they took a look at the video I made of it happening. They made an appointment for next week and told me to bring it back with the gas tank close to empty. The car already had the fuel pump replaced ~10,000 miles ago since it was making a chirping sound
Old 06-07-2018, 08:18 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by dezymond
If it's like some of us who have had this problem, the issue may be resolved by replacing the battery. Then it could possibly return about 1-1.5 years later (like mine).
Old 06-16-2018, 03:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by h_dawg
Did you have trouble after filling up gas also? I thought I was not depressing the brake enough at first so it wasn't starting, but I started to really pay attention since it kept happening at the gas station and that was not it. It tries to crank so I know the battery and starter are okay (it also starts fine every single time outside of the gas station). I took it to the dealer yesterday with about half a tank left, and they took a look at the video I made of it happening. They made an appointment for next week and told me to bring it back with the gas tank close to empty. The car already had the fuel pump replaced ~10,000 miles ago since it was making a chirping sound
Yeah it was one time, but hasn't happened since. Figured it was just a one time thing. I may not have pressed the brake pedal all the way or may let go too soon? Not concerned about it.

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
If it's like some of us who have had this problem, the issue may be resolved by replacing the battery. Then it could possibly return about 1-1.5 years later (like mine).
Haven't experienced it again and hopefully don't. Hopefully don't have to replace my battery soon.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:10 PM
Instructor

I took my car in to the dealership this past week with an empty gas tank. I went with the tech to the gas station, and with my luck it started just fine. However, there have been a couple times after that the car has not started on the first try at other locations besides the gas station. The dealership tested the battery and it came back okay. They are going to replace the starter on the car, they ordered it and will do the install next this coming week. I'll keep you posted if that fixes my issue
Old 06-17-2018, 04:39 AM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
As previously mentioned the likely cause is the battery. A 2015 TLX battery could actually be 4 years old in your car or more at this point in time. With all the electrical devices especially auto idle stop, puts a tremendous strain on the battery. The smallest weakness in the battery (even if cranking appears normal) will often cause the vehicle not to start. Why does it happen when filling up? Possibly due to being shut off for 3 or 4 minutes, engine heat soaked making starting more difficult. It would probably also happen if you ran into a convenience store for the same amount of time. My suggestion would be: Clean the battery posts and put battery on a slow charge for 24 hours or more. Then immediately drive to the gas station to fill up and see what happens. NOTE: Make sure you use a charger specific for AGM batteries. Most likely it's time to replace the battery.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Crashmaster
As previously mentioned the likely cause is the battery. A 2015 TLX battery could actually be 4 years old in your car or more at this point in time. With all the electrical devices especially auto idle stop, puts a tremendous strain on the battery. The smallest weakness in the battery (even if cranking appears normal) will often cause the vehicle not to start. Why does it happen when filling up? Possibly due to being shut off for 3 or 4 minutes, engine heat soaked making starting more difficult. It would probably also happen if you ran into a convenience store for the same amount of time. My suggestion would be: Clean the battery posts and put battery on a slow charge for 24 hours or more. Then immediately drive to the gas station to fill up and see what happens. NOTE: Make sure you use a charger specific for AGM batteries. Most likely it's time to replace the battery.
Crashmaster, I think you are right about the battery. I'm just going to go get a new one today and replace it. Even when it's starting, it doesn't seem like a strong start. I bought the car in November of 2014 so the battery is just about 4 years old. Rather just replace it now then have it leave me somewhere stranded. Thanks for the input
Old 06-18-2018, 01:56 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
that's about the average life of a battery..Here in Texas, the Texas heat zaps them faster at about 3 years on average.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:39 PM
Instructor

I replaced the battery this afternoon, I'll keep everyone updated on how everything goes over the next few weeks
Old 06-18-2018, 11:28 PM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
I hope you replaced it with a AGM type battery.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Crashmaster
I hope you replaced it with a AGM type battery.
I don’t believe it was an AGM battery I replaced it with. I have a V6 Base model and it does not have idle start/stop so I don’t think that is necessary for my car. I got an Interstate battery from Costco, the flooded lead-acid type. The specs on it where better then the original battery in the car. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure the battery is different between the base model and if you have one with auto start/stop
Old 06-19-2018, 02:56 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Why would you need an AGM battery? Does the TLX come with one stock? I have one in my 4G TL but only because it's lightweight, not because of any requirement.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:45 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
TLX V6 AWD comes with an AGM battery and a cooling fan and some battery management sensors etc. This is primarily for the auto engine start stop "feature" that many of us turn off as soon as we start the car.
Old 01-08-2023, 12:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Check voltage at battery. If is below 12,0V recharge it. If do not start again check negative to body of starter voltage drop, and positive to B+. Voltage drop in this case is possible test without car running how much I remember. One is sure, without testing you all are just guessing. Test that all would take me less than 5 min.. How you folks do not understand if you work at car multimeter is a must as is code reader.
Old 01-09-2023, 05:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 558 Likes on 415 Posts
Originally Posted by bbsitum
Check voltage at battery. If is below 12,0V recharge it.
ummm... a fully charged battery is 12.6v. 12.3v is marginal. 12v is very low.

btw, hella thread bump
Old 01-09-2023, 05:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Yeah it was some mess. Do not know how I did post here.