Remote Start and Seat Heaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 10:56 AM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Remote Start and Seat Heaters

I've discovered that I cannot turn on the seat heaters after using the remote start feature. Has anyone else with the Advance package or Canadian owners encountered this? If I turn the car off and back on, the menu allows me to turn on the heat and the seats work just fine. Nothing in the manual. Is there a way to set climate features desired when the remote start is engaged? Am I missing something? PITA to have to turn the car off and back on to be able to use the seat warmers....kind of defeats the purpose of having remote start. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
mogriff1 (12-21-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 11:56 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Elite in Canada and the seat warmers come on with the remote start. the heated steering too. Love it!
Old 12-20-2014, 02:39 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JonfromCB
I've discovered that I cannot turn on the seat heaters after using the remote start feature. Has anyone else with the Advance package or Canadian owners encountered this? If I turn the car off and back on, the menu allows me to turn on the heat and the seats work just fine. Nothing in the manual. Is there a way to set climate features desired when the remote start is engaged? Am I missing something? PITA to have to turn the car off and back on to be able to use the seat warmers....kind of defeats the purpose of having remote start. Thanks
Try selecting the "Auto" feature for the seat warmers before you turn off the car. Then turn off car, then remote start it and see if they're on. Of course, if the seats are still warm, then it'll be on the lowest setting, but if they're cold, then it should (?) be higher.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:39 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ccs01
Try selecting the "Auto" feature for the seat warmers before you turn off the car. Then turn off car, then remote start it and see if they're on. Of course, if the seats are still warm, then it'll be on the lowest setting, but if they're cold, then it should (?) be higher.
I have this problem intermittently and I have the seats set at automatic. When it doesn't work I have to restart the car. The steering wheel always heats up. The passenger seat never comes on and I don't think it is supposed to.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I have the Tech package so no ability to use the auto feature and have the seats and steering wheel heat up with a remote start. However, the few times i have used remote start I haven't noticed the issue you mentioned. I will make a point of doing so and report back.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:04 PM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
The remote ignites the seat and steering heater OK but they get extinguished when you go to drive off. All needs manually reigniting. And heated shield extinguishing. Its all arse backwards. No auto settings for seats in my teck i4. But I do not need to kill the engine.

I believe acura is working on a software update. Why not just empower the owners like with the autobdoor locking. I think uconnect does.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:44 AM
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts
This is an issue that has been addressed in the Problems section. Yes, I do experience this sometimes on my Advance Sh-Awd model, when it happens I resart the car and then it works fine. The last time I was at my Acura dealership I had them check it out, but of course, they could'nt duplicate it.

Last edited by mogriff1; 12-21-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:19 AM
Advanced

I did find that going to the seat menu and pushing the "auto" icon does allow me to turn the seats on after a remote start without having to turn the car off and back on again. Strangely, when I push the seat menu "auto" button, both the "off" and "auto" icon boxes stay highlighted as "on"
Essentially, the "off" and "auto" buttons are useless if they both stay highlighted...is it on or off???

Now if I can figure out how to get the seat/seats to come on automatically with the remote start feature....instructions and help please. Surely, a $45K car has the ability to set the climate controls the way a user wants them upon entering after a remote start without having to restart or manually readjust multiple settings. There is something to be said for a detailed and well written owners manual.

Two things haunt me about buying this car....when the head of a car company says we delayed rollout of this car so we could get it right....that's a red flag. The other thing I already knew and ignored, which is don't buy another first year model. Spending hours trying to learn how to use a product is not my idea of fun. Making calls to the dealer and being told "we haven't encountered that" or "we don't know how to do that, but we'll find out and call you back...without ever calling back is also not my idea of fun. Spending hours on a forum to find out from other owners how to operate my car is not my idea of fun either, but I do really appreciate all the help I have received here. Thanks guys

Last edited by JonfromCB; 12-21-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Your expectations are too high for an owners manual to completely describe every little nuance of a technically complex car, and this does not just apply to Acura. The more detail provided, the bigger the manual, and less chance that the owner will read everything.

I view the delayed rollout as a positive step rather than a red flag, and it is my impression that they are working hard to be more communicative. Dealer promises, well unfortunately that is just another poor but expected situation.

Things for me to test with the remote start under cold conditions (Canadian model), partially outlined on p326 of the handbook:
- is the defroster activated - should be
- are the rear defogger/door mirror heaters turned on - should be
- are both driver and passenger seat warmers turned on - should be
- is the heated steering wheel turned on - should be
- is the heated windshield turned on - should be but not defined
- is the climate control activated - should be but not defined
- are rear seats warmers turned on - should not but not defined

Then when preparing to drive are any of these controls adjusted:
- the passenger seat warmer should turn off if there is no passenger
- the defroster should turn off
- the rear defogger/door mirror heaters should turn off
- all others should remain on
- do the controls still function or does the car have to be turned off and then on as some have reported.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:13 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Quandry
Your expectations are too high for an owners manual to completely describe every little nuance of a technically complex car, and this does not just apply to Acura. The more detail provided, the bigger the manual, and less chance that the owner will read everything.

I view the delayed rollout as a positive step rather than a red flag, and it is my impression that they are working hard to be more communicative. Dealer promises, well unfortunately that is just another poor but expected situation.

Things for me to test with the remote start under cold conditions (Canadian model), partially outlined on p326 of the handbook:
- is the defroster activated - should be
- are the rear defogger/door mirror heaters turned on - should be
- are both driver and passenger seat warmers turned on - should be
- is the heated steering wheel turned on - should be
- is the heated windshield turned on - should be but not defined
- is the climate control activated - should be but not defined
- are rear seats warmers turned on - should not but not defined

Then when preparing to drive are any of these controls adjusted:
- the passenger seat warmer should turn off if there is no passenger
- the defroster should turn off
- the rear defogger/door mirror heaters should turn off
- all others should remain on
- do the controls still function or does the car have to be turned off and then on as some have reported.

Thanks for your opinion. Was there a construction solution or resolution in there somewhere?
Old 12-22-2014, 12:58 PM
Advanced

Just spent two hours with dealer service rep and finally with Acura Client Relations.
The official Acura response is: The system was not designed for the heated seats to come on when using the remote start. Acura is also aware that the car must be turned off and back on after using the remote start in order for the heated seats to be turned on. I was told by the service rep that the system was designed that way. My response was, that's a joke right?
When asked how to prevent cold outside air from coming in the windshield defroster vents once the "auto" set temperature was achieved, I was told this will always occur with the "auto" settings, and to prevent it from happening, settings other than the "auto" setting must be manually changed once the car achieves the desired temperature. What a joke. If I had had any idea or knowledge that this car was unable to achieve a desired temperature or seat setting when using the remote start without turning the car off and back on, and resetting the seats I would not have bought the car. To add insult to injury, the remote start feature also insures that I have a totally fogged up rear window within two minutes of driving the car after using it...and Acura knows this occurs in "certain cold and humid climates"....yea, the very ones we expect a remote start to prevent fogged up windows in.
now I'm wondering if the car has the same dysfunctional designs built into the AC/cooled seat features to deal with next summer when using the remote start?

Last edited by JonfromCB; 12-22-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Acura is also aware that the car must be turned off and back on after using the remote start in order for the heated seats to be turned on.
Well that's just not true. I really hate it when customer service reps give bad information out to people.

I use my heated seats everyday, and I leave them on Auto. I remote start, get in the car, and drive away with them already on. Depending on how cold it is outside they typically are by default at either 2 or 3 bars on the meter.

If I set them manually on my last drive, then they have to be turned on once I get in the car, but, they turn on just fine, and I don't need to turn the car off, and on again.

There was one occasion where they did not respond, and I restarted the car to get rid of the glitch, but it was only the one time in 2 months of ownership, and again I attributed that to a software glitch.

To add insult to injury, the remote start feature also insures that I have a totally fogged up rear window within two minutes of driving the car after using it...
Can't say I have noticed that, adn we have had some pretty cold, rainy days here in NY over the last month.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 12-22-2014 at 01:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (12-22-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
Well that's just not true. I really hate it when customer service reps give bad information out to people.

I use my heated seats everyday, and I leave them on Auto. I remote start, get in the car, and drive away with them already on. Depending on how cold it is outside they typically are by default at either 2 or 3 bars on the meter.

If I set them manually on my last drive, then they have to be turned on once I get in the car, but, they turn on just fine, and I don't need to turn the car off, and on again.

There was one occasion where they did not respond, and I restarted the car to get rid of the glitch, but it was only the one time in 2 months of ownership, and again I attributed that to a software glitch.

Can't say I have noticed that, adn we have had some pretty cold, rainy days here in NY over the last month.

You say it's not true, and I say I wish you were right..and others who say the same on multiple threads on this form also probably wish it wasn't true.

If you can tell me and others here with the same problem how to have the seats come on with the remote start, you my friend will be my damned hero....I'm serious.
Why would both the service rep and Acura Client Relations both tell me within and hour of each other that "by design" the heated seats cannot be automatically set to come on when the remote start is activated?

You do understand that the seats CAN be set to come on with the Canadian model with remote start don't you?.

Last edited by JonfromCB; 12-22-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Senior Moderator

You say it's not true, and I say I wish you were right..and others who say the same on multiple threads on this form also probably wish it wasn't true.
I guess I am wrong, and my car seats haven't been turning on by themselves when left in the Auto setting every morning. Again, they aren't on when remote started, but are on as soon as I get in, and push the start button to turn on the rest of the car, accessories, etc. When you get in the car, all the screen are off until you hit the start button, and when I do that, the display indicates that they are on.

I have the SHAWD V6, do you have the I-4 by chance?

Have you checked other Advance models at the dealer?

You do understand that the seats CAN be set to come on with the Canadian model with remote start don't you?.
You do understand that on my car they ARE working just fine. I have a feeling they are confusing the MDX for the TLX where the auto setting is not retained, and the seats need to be turned on with every use.

On that car as well, there is NO need to turn the car off, and back on.

I understand you are frustrated, but save the condescension for the people who aren't trying to help you out; otherwise.............

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 12-22-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:38 PM
Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 9-2014

Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but how do you set to auto to the seat heaters or is this just a Canadian only feature?

B.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:07 PM
Advanced

[QUOTE=Mr Hyde;15277618]I guess I am wrong, and my car seats haven't been turning on by themselves when left in the Auto setting every morning. Again, they aren't on when remote started, but are on as soon as I get in, and push the start button to turn on the rest of the car, accessories, etc. When you get in the car, all the screen are off until you hit the start button, and when I do that, the display indicates that they are on.

I have the SHAWD V6, do you have the I-4 by chance?

Have you checked other Advance models at the dealer?

So You've gone from saying it's a "Lie" and saying your seats come on every time you remote start, to now guessing you were wrong and that someone else is probably confusing a MDX with the TLX?....and that makes me condescending?
A senior moderator no less? My guess is you are not the least embarrassed...and I'm not being condescending.

Back on topic. I have a SH-awd Advance. I see no need to check other advance models. The "Lead TLX" service rep at the dealer and Acura Client Relations have both told me the seats were not designed to come on automatically with the Remote Start, Furthermore, as previously stated, Acura is aware that if the car climate controls are not reset to "auto" prior to turning the car off and then starting it with the remote, the car must be turned off and restarted in order for the seat controls to work.

Some have said in different threads that their seats work fine after a remote start, but that's because they left the climate system in "auto" when they last left it. There are others who don't know why they can't get their seats to work after a remote start. Either way, Acura says it knows and claims it's by design.

You might want to read the threads for details and others having the same issue before you declare anyone has lied or is being condescending.

Last edited by JonfromCB; 12-22-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:28 PM
Senior Moderator

So You've gone from saying it's a "Lie" to now guessing you were wrong and that someone else is probably confusing a MDX with the TLX?....and that makes me condescending?
A senior moderator no less?..........You might want to read the threads for details and others having the same issue before you declare anyone has lied or is being condescending.
I caught your post before your edit, and I also see your reply above to member Quandry, so deflect on others all you wish.

I didn't say anyone lied, I said they gave you bad information; there is quite the difference. I am also not wrong, as the car in my driveway works as I indicated; it seems the sarcasm was lost on you.

To recap, in "Auto" my car will automatically turn on the seat heaters.

If on a previous drive, I took them off of Auto ( I sometimes like to keep them on Max), then on the next drive, all I need to do is set them where I want. I do NOT need to turn my car off, and back on again.

Your faith in the dealership service rep, and customer relations people is inspiring, but just like for most manufacturers, the more informed members of forums like this one could teach them, and their sales people on the floors a thing or twenty. Perhaps you should take your own advice, and read some of the nonsense they have told others here on this forum. I am not as old as some, but I've had enough first hand dealings with them.

I had frequent CEL's on my BMW, and my rep actually advised me to stop using premium, and to just use midgrade gasoline as a fix when they couldn't find a cause. Of course I just waited for the CEL to come back, and they eventually replaced a pump in my gas tank.

I prefer more concrete things like comparing another car, but if you dont see the need, so be it. Good luck.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 12-22-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

I will agree with Mr. Hyde that the style of your responses is less than calm or whatever term you care to use, and I understand that the situation is frustrating for you.

After a remote start today the windshield defrost, heated windshield, and heated steering wheel were all on. Not sure about the seat warmers, will check tomorrow, but the drivers side displayed at two bars after pressing start/stop, and I did not attempt to adjust it.

There have been other posts that suggest waiting until all systems are active before trying to make any adjustments.

So you have to decide if Service Rep and Client Relations version is correct, believe what others have experienced, and decide if your car/software is defective or up to spec.

I suggests two tests with Climate Controls set on Auto and a variety of situations.
1. Seat warmers for both Driver and Passenger are set to Auto before the car is turned off. Do a Remote Start:
a) are both seat warmers turned on (if the display is not active then feeling if the seat is warm)
b) if the warmers were not on, do they come on after pressing start
c) if the warmers were on, do they stay on after pressing start

2. Seat Warmers for both Driver and Passenger are set to Off before the car is turned off. Do a Remote Start:
a) are both seat warmers turned on (if the display is not active then feeling if the seat is warm)
b) if the warmers were not on, do they come on after pressing start
c) if the warmers were on, do they stay on after pressing start

3. Same as the above with the Seat Warmers manually set.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:28 AM
Advanced

OMG, another one who hasn't read the threads. Yours work because you have a Canadian model. Canadian models are different. The seat heaters failing to come on after remote start without having to turn off and restart the car is not an issue with the Canadian models. We all know yours work fine.

Mr Hyde, thank you for the calm walk-through of what you do and how your car works. I understand and immediately tried what you posted. My car does not respond that way. When the car is remote started and the seat icon is pushed, the seat menu appears. then one of the three temperature settings is selected. If the "auto" button is pushed, both the "off" and "auto" button stay lit and the seat immediately is turned off with both the "off" and "Auto" buttons staying lit. This is an endless cycle....until the car is turned off and back on.

If the car is started normally, the seat menu works fine.

Last edited by JonfromCB; 12-23-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ah ha, now I get it. It is something that happens naturally. No work required! It seems too chilly in here so I am moving on.
The following 2 users liked this post by Quandry:
mapleloaf (12-30-2014), Stew4HD (12-23-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 12:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
It seems the solution in Canada is to get the Tech package that I have and not expect the seat warmers to come on with remote start. That is a little disappointing, as my button seat warmers when left on in my 2014 Altima SL stay on when i use remote start. Thank god for the soft warmer milano leather in the TLX! BTW, for fuel economy and engine wear purposes, I use remote start sparingly.

Poor Acura…get pilloried for too many buttons, or not enough!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
It seems the solution in Canada is to get the Tech package that I have and not expect the seat warmers to come on with remote start. That is a little disappointing, as my button seat warmers when left on in my 2014 Altima SL stay on when i use remote start. Thank god for the soft warmer milano leather in the TLX! BTW, for fuel economy and engine wear purposes, I use remote start sparingly.

Poor Acura…get pilloried for too many buttons, or not enough!
I have the SH-AWD with Tech, and my seat warmer and heated steering wheel always come on when i Remote start. However, when you enter the vehicle, and push the start button to turn on radio and exit the remote start function to start driving, these items do not stay on, and the climate control reverts back to where it was when you parked. That part is annoying, but no big deal.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:18 PM
a77
Racer

It is a bit annoying...esp if you have a passenger - so youve remote started the car and all the fans and electrical everything is going full tilt. you get in, hit the start button and it all goes deathly quiet - "why did you turn everything off"...I didnt the car does...."well that's stupid"...easy programming fix you'd think. let the customer elect to leave it on or just leave it on. usually the seats have not warmed up much and they need more time....
Old 12-30-2014, 11:21 PM
Cruisin'

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Are the Canadian Tech 4 seat heaters turned on when using remote start?
I really find the seat heaters anemic in this car, especially at -25C, which it is right now.
I honestly can't tell if the heater is on when I use the remote start. The steering wheel does heat, and the seats do heat up eventually, while driving. But the dream of a warm seat to sit my ass on every morning is not being realized!
Old 12-31-2014, 10:15 AM
a77
Racer

yes - the seat heaters do come on with the remote with the tech - I thought they werent, as the lights don't come on (nor the wheel) but they do. But as you say they are pretty anemic - not only do they take an age to warm up but the bolstered parts don't and stay freezing - I never noticed this with my last 3 cars with heated seats. The TSX heated seats were much faster (and my 06 accord). The heated steering wheel gets warm very fast thankfully. Here's an idea - fit after market seat heaters...as well....and have hard wired buttons for them....actually that would solve all problems - super fast heating and they would always be on when you start the car....I might even think about that if Acura does nothing about the idiotic control interface they have. Probly cost me $250. Considering they are needed for 6 months...
Old 01-01-2015, 12:01 PM
Cruisin'

I wonder if they heat better in ,say, sport mode than econo. The heater output increases when you change modes. Perhaps the seat heaters are the same.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:37 PM
a77
Racer

they're not afaik. but the engine probably takes longer to warm up in ECON.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:08 AM
Cruisin'

The reason I thought that might be true
is that the heater fan speed increases when you change from econo to normal. You can hear the change when you change the IDS . perhaps the power to the seats works the same.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:59 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
OK I have now read this entire thread and have the Canadian SHAWD Elite model. I thought my seats came one with the remote start. However, I now believe that the steering wheel does (I can feel the heat as soon as I touch the wheel before starting the car again) but I now have doubts that the seats do. I have them in automatic and when I restart the car they are on (although very occasionally they are off and I have to restart the car to get them to work), but I am pretty sure that the seats were not turned on by the remote start. They still seem cold and heat up reasonably quickly after I restart the car. I cannot think of a way to confirm whether they are on or off after a remote start but before a restart. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks
Old 01-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

You could try the following tests with a cold car:
1. Remote start the car and leave it in that mode for 5 minutes. Then test to see if the seat is warm.
2. Regular start the car and leave it running for 5 minutes with the seat heater set on manual not automatic, but do not sit on the seat. Then test to see if the seat is warm and any different from #1 above.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:42 PM
Advanced

My update is the seats heaters only come on automatically with the remote when it's extremely cold (and I have not established the exact temperature that seems to trigger them). Frequently, I still have to turn the car off and then back on in order to get the seats to work after using the remote start feature. Sometimes after leaving the car with the seats on, they are still on when we return and restart the car...sometimes they are aren't, and yet other times they do come on but have changed settings. The delivering dealer says they are unaware of the issue. The dealer near my home, where I intend to go for service says the same thing and they can't find anything wrong. I've made two calls to Acura with no response to address a fix. That's my update. Now, increasingly we're having the failure to automatically unlock/recognize the correct fob issue discussed in another thread. Surely Acura has to know about this don't they?
Old 12-09-2016, 03:53 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-.../#post15914835