Oil change needed soon again!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 02:45 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
At 6000 miles and 40% left on the second oil, way too soon. Ask for verification.
The following users liked this post:
Acuraboi04 (03-17-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 09:49 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alexb92
A V6 is going to require shorter oil change intervals than an 4 banger for starters.

Seems like it. I have owned previous V6 Models of the TL and RL and the oil change intervals were at 6months apart. In fact all of my oil changes were 6months apart until this new V6 model TLX that I have. I already made an appointment with Acura for other TSB's this V6TLX has and I'm probably either going to ask about switching to a higher quality oil such as their synthetic brand. Acura has been in my life for about 10years already and after this lease is done I might be done with them.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Saintor
At 6000 miles and 40% left on the second oil, way too soon. Ask for verification.
Just a little over 6,000 miles now it went from 40%-30% I already made an appointment to check this out as well as resolve the many other issues this new car has according to the TSB's for the TLX V6
I wonder at this point when it hits 6,500 miles it might drop to 20% oil life! That's when the service due soon light will come on
Old 03-17-2017, 12:29 PM
Advanced

@alexb92 it's not the type of engine for starters. It's the type of oil Acura is using 0W-20 which I researched on my own and found out.
Acura is using low viscosity oil to help optimize fuel economy. I've been using 5w-20 oil in my TL and RL and the oil change intervals where 6 months apart. See I need to communicate with other people who actually own TLX V6 models and interact with those owners.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:10 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Acuraboi04
@alexb92 it's not the type of engine for starters. It's the type of oil Acura is using 0W-20 which I researched on my own and found out.
Acura is using low viscosity oil to help optimize fuel economy. I've been using 5w-20 oil in my TL and RL and the oil change intervals where 6 months apart. See I need to communicate with other people who actually own TLX V6 models and interact with those owners.
5w20 and 0w20 are the same viscosity, both 20w. 0w is a scam...its a EPA startup emissions thing. 0w is going to be worse oil..usually its a group 2/3 oil so they have to add VI to meet the 0winter pumping rating which ends up just leaving more deposits as a higher volatility oil.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mtxjohn
5w20 and 0w20 are the same viscosity, both 20w. 0w is a scam...its a EPA startup emissions thing. 0w is going to be worse oil..usually its a group 2/3 oil so they have to add VI to meet the 0winter pumping rating which ends up just leaving more deposits as a higher volatility oil.
@mtxjohn yeah I agree that 0W20 weight is a scam
that's why either I'm going to ask the dealer to replace
the oil with a better type of oil for longer oil life
or I either should buy it on my own and do my own damn oil change already. I'll have to discuss this when I bring my car in this Wednesday along with the other TSB's issues that this 2016 TLX V6 is having.
Good thing it's just a damn LEASE and I can give back the car and walk away! Because the 2015/2016 TLX models have all these "TSB's" all of these problems result in job security for the repair technicians. So they better not be bitchin or complaining about these problems because their jobs depend on it. Once again I'm going to say this is all about "JOB SECURITY"
Old 05-01-2017, 08:27 AM
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuraboi04
Thanks Harper for your observation. Acura that I've contacted through facebook and we've been communicating through messenger has been following up with me. After all the discussion someone on here mentioned it's the quality of the oil and I forgot all about that. I probably might have to consider using higher or better quality longer range mileage oil. Acura just wants to make more money off of their customers.
I know this thread is older, but I'm new here. The MM has no idea what kind of oil is in the crankcase, so changing brands will make absolutely no difference in when it says an oil change is needed. The MM is purely math, counting things like engine revs, temperatures, short trips and the like to calculate when the oil is likely to be exhausted; no part of it comes in actual contact with the oil itself. The MM would give the same advice if the crankcase was filled with Amsoil, olive oil, or anything in-between.