How to reset your ECU/transmission (post 6)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 10:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
How to reset your ECU/transmission (post 6)

As some know, I've been having delays in shifting and unresponsive throttle mostly in right turns. In order to return responsiveness, I have to let go of the throttle, then press it again, or I have to use the paddles to manually shift. I'm pretty sure this is a software issue.

Before I *sigh* approach the dealer about this, I'd like to detach the battery in an attempt to reset the transmission. Is there any special reset procedure I have to use for the transmission or anything else after reattaching the battery?

I don't have the energy or the time to have the dealer sort out another car for me. I had transmission issues with my RLX Sport Hybrid that led me to end the lease early, so this is two Acura products in a row I've had issues with. At this point, I'm almost ready to just find the money to trade out of my lease (I'm 16 months in) and move to an Accord Sport with a manual, as I am increasingly dissatisfied with the transmission. Car didn't do this initially.

Thanks for any assistance!
Old 10-26-2018, 01:00 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
As some know, I've been having delays in shifting and unresponsive throttle mostly in right turns. In order to return responsiveness, I have to let go of the throttle, then press it again, or I have to use the paddles to manually shift. I'm pretty sure this is a software issue.

Before I *sigh* approach the dealer about this, I'd like to detach the battery in an attempt to reset the transmission. Is there any special reset procedure I have to use for the transmission or anything else after reattaching the battery?

I don't have the energy or the time to have the dealer sort out another car for me. I had transmission issues with my RLX Sport Hybrid that led me to end the lease early, so this is two Acura products in a row I've had issues with. At this point, I'm almost ready to just find the money to trade out of my lease (I'm 16 months in) and move to an Accord Sport with a manual, as I am increasingly dissatisfied with the transmission. Car didn't do this initially.

Thanks for any assistance!
This problem you are describing about the car being unresponsive in right turns is a common problem people are encountering. There are quite a few threads and posts about it on this in the forum. I've played around with it a bit, and also had the dealer do the re-learn procedure on my car a few times (for this issue and the rough shifting transmission). No luck, it is still the same. After trying different things, I think the issue with the lag in right turns might be actually be associated with the traction control system in the car. Try turning the traction control off, and seeing if that helps any

Also, to answer your original question. I don't think unplugging he battery will reset the transmission. I could be wrong, but pretty sure it doesn't

Last edited by h_dawg; 10-26-2018 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Yup, I know this is a known issue, and thanks for your post. I was just looking at another tack to handle the issue on my own, since Acura has no solution. Since there’s no solution and Acura is aware of the issue, it’s a waste of time to take the car to the dealer for me.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:52 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeah, it is very unfortunate that this is the situation. I gave up after taking the car to the dealer several times. The accord sport with a manual would be a great choice to move into. I was looking into trading into a Lexus, but I'm not ready to take the hit on my TLX yet. The engine is great and silky smooth, but the transmission is horrible and ruins the driving experience
Old 10-26-2018, 06:05 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I had this problem to the point I thought I'd get into a wreck crossing major roads or making turns. And yes, it happened on right turns, as well. It used to happen all the time. Somewhere, among the myriad of software "fixes" and multiple "re-learns", it improved vastly. I don't recall the last time it's happened for me. Even if it has happened, it's nowhere at the same frequency. I couldn't tell you what fixed it, though. I'm surprised it's still happening in 2018 models. My guess is I doubt disconnecting the battery will do anything, but rather take it to the dealer. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (10-27-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 08:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Instead of taking my car to the dealer, I looked at how to do the ECU/transmission reset by myself. I found a video, which I'm sure has been mentioned on the forum before. Just for spits and giggles, I gave it a shot...and surprisingly right after doing the procedure, the shifting changed. Now the transmission is relearning my shifting style. So far, no significant shift delays. We'll see how it goes and I'll report back. Since it takes all of 30 seconds and I can do it in my driveway, I can rinse/lather/repeat as needed.

The following 3 users liked this post by neuronbob:
Denali05 (11-08-2018), Rocketsfan (11-08-2018), Speed_Racer (11-10-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 11:25 AM
I love spreadsheets.

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts
Instead of taking my car to the dealer, I looked at how to do the ECU/transmission reset by myself. I found a video, which I'm sure has been mentioned on the forum before. Just for spits and giggles, I gave it a shot...and surprisingly right after doing the procedure, the shifting changed. Now the transmission is relearning my shifting style. So far, no significant shift delays. We'll see how it goes and I'll report back. Since it takes all of 30 seconds and I can do it in my driveway, I can rinse/lather/repeat as needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl9tuKifTMo
Please keep us updated on this. I'm going to give this a try when I get home. My dealer performed a number of resets back in May (throttle position clear, crank pattern relearn, an idle relearn, transmission teach in) and the shifting behavior improved, but the sluggish behavior has started to come back again. If this reset procedure works, the transmission may be tolerable as long as I can keep resetting it.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:00 PM
Senior Moderator

I haven’t done the idle relearn as that’s not an issue I have with this car. It’s really the ECU/trans you need to reset. BTW, you can do an idle relearn in your driveway, too, but it takes longer as you have to keep the engine spinning at 3k rpm until warm.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

It's now been several days since I reset the ECU/transmission. Transmission works like it did when I first picked up the car. I can accelerate in sharp right turns again. Only a single,microsecond transmission pause, unlike multiple episodes on an individual drive. Back to liking the whole 2018 TLX experience.

If I develop similar issues again, looks to be a 30-second fix without having to go to the dealer. Will keep this thread updated.

Last edited by neuronbob; 11-10-2018 at 10:20 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
Denali05 (11-13-2018), Speed_Racer (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 01:02 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
So does doing the reset in the video reset the transmisson for the car, or the only the key flob used when resetting the transmission?

Wondering if I need to do this with both key flobs.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-10-2018, 01:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ddswv
So does doing the reset in the video reset the transmisson for the car, or the only the key flob used when resetting the transmission?

Wondering if I need to do this with both key flobs.

Thanks in advance!
Not sure if you’d have to do this with each key fob individually. Mayhap a tech can check in?
Old 11-11-2018, 07:57 PM
Instructor

Not sure if you’d have to do this with each key fob individually. Mayhap a tech can check in?
It seems that it isn't key fob specific. I did the reset yesterday with my key flob.
We had the transmission update that is suppose to keep the car from "taking off" down hills, and when slowing down, it's suppose to down shift more quickly. However, after this update our mileage dropped from average of 28 mpg to 23 mpg and since I sold the TLX when my lease was up to my mother, she has been quite irritated with the gas mileage.
Well today she took the car on a 70 mile round trip, with her key flob, after filling up and the mileage jumped up to 32 mpg.
Therefore, I am concluding it isn't key flob specific, but she did note the car was not hesitating to up shift any more and she actually prefers it that way.
Thank-you Neuronbob for sharing of this video.
I just cleaned up the RLX Sport Hybrid today, parking it till Spring, I'll use the MDX with dedicated Snow/Ice Tires. I've always had all seasons on it, but with these Tires I think it'll be even bigger beast in the snow!
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 08:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Great news and glad I was able to help!

You pack away your Sport Hybrid for the winter? Winter is its time to shine! ...though if I had a MDX on winter tires, its ground clearance would be far better in snowy Cleveland.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:52 PM
Instructor

Bob:

Yeah I'm parking it till winter is over. Because I have the MDX, I see no reason to get the salt and paint chips the first 3 years during my lease, I'm hoping to buy it at the end of the lease and figure it will last longer if I keep it out of the salt the first few years. I also have a driveway that has 6" curbs on each side and it's quite steep, 125 feet long and I'm afraid with the RLX that if I would catch a curb it would do major wheel/body damage, at least with the MDX, it'll just be wheel damage.

I will definitely miss it till Spring!