Difference Between Lane Departure Warning and Road Departure Mitigation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 11:54 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Difference Between Lane Departure Warning and Road Departure Mitigation?

Anyone now the difference between LDW and RDM??

They seem to use the same control on the lower left to turn both features on or off.

I get the lane departure warning if I get close to the side of a lane.. When does one work versus the other? RDM is supposed to vibrate and possibly brake.

Can soneone expkaint he actuak difference of these 2 which go on together.

Thank you

Mike
Old 12-25-2015, 11:55 PM
Pro

Dashed Traffic Lines on Nav

Does anyone know what the DASHED traffic lines on the Nav Maap are?

The solid ones I see and then in some places they are dashed... there is nothing in the manual about this...

Mike
Old 12-26-2015, 06:55 AM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
The red and green (and possibly yellow) lines on the map, indicate traffic flow conditions. A solid line indicates a recent update, while a dashed line represents an older update that may no longer be accurate.
The following users liked this post:
MikeRadio (12-27-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 07:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
If you do a search on this forum you will find all your answers, but here is a short explanation:

Only Advance/Elite have RDM and it is a superset of LWD (one set of controls)

LDW: may only warn when a line is crossed without using the turn signal
RDM: may will shake the steering and may apply braking, if set for Normal or Wide (see p113, p129, and p378)

Dashed lines are only displayed if you have AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic subscription. They indicate that AcuraLink has not been able to determine traffic conditions on that road.
MikeRadio (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 12:12 PM
Pro

Thanks... I actually found the traffic info in a pop up Acuralink message (those ones they send you daily for the first month you have your car).
Old 12-30-2015, 05:30 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Quandry
If you do a search on this forum you will find all your answers, but here is a short explanation:

Only Advance/Elite have RDM and it is a superset of LWD (one set of controls)

LDW: may only warn when a line is crossed without using the turn signal
RDM: may will shake the steering and may apply braking, if set for Normal or Wide (see p113, p129, and p378)

Dashed lines are only displayed if you have AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic subscription. They indicate that AcuraLink has not been able to determine traffic conditions on that road.
Umm ... must disagree. I have no subscriptions, and I have the dashed lines in my 2015. (I also had them on maps with my earlier-gen TL's, my RDX, MDX, and my RLX.) However, we all have traffic on 2015 and 2016 TLX's if I'm not mistaken.

I wondered about those dashed lines years ago, and the best I could determine, they were kind of like "breadcrumbs", indicating routes taken previously.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

There are two types of dashed lines. If I remember correctly the ones with the subscription service are in green and show for any roads that are displayed even if a route has not been set. It is quite distinctive from the lines without the subscription service.

My subscription has expired so I cannot take a photo.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:37 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Solid green is good traffic flow. Dashed green means current traffic not available but historic patterns are good (at the time of day viewing).
Old 12-31-2015, 10:41 AM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by flybyglass
Solid green is good traffic flow. Dashed green means current traffic not available but historic patterns are good (at the time of day viewing).
"AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™57 helps you steer clear of gridlock within the major metropolitan areas of all 48 contiguous United States. This continuously updated traffic information is free for three years and then available by subscription.

Color-coded interstates, expressways and busy side streets indicate traffic flow levels.
Helpful icons identify traffic incidents and traffic conditions affected by construction and weather.
The system can list traffic-impacting collisions and construction zones in your surrounding area.
If an alternate route is at least two minutes or 10% quicker, Traffic Rerouting™57 will suggest it."
Old 01-01-2016, 07:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jim256
This continuously updated traffic information is free for three years and then available by subscription.
Incorrect. It depends on the offering at the time of sale. Generally in Canada it is/was free for one year.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:23 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Quandry
Incorrect. It depends on the offering at the time of sale. Generally in Canada it is/was free for one year.
I just bought a TLX and called and was told that 3 years of the "standard" AcuraLink service (which includes traffic info) was included with purchase of the vehicle. A 90 trial of the "premium" and other higher level subscriptions were available but required me to provide a CC number which I was unwilling to do. There was no CC required for the included "standard" 3 year subscription.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:32 AM
Pro

Back to Lane Departure Warning....

MANY times I can change lanes without signal or get close to the side of the road line without getting a warning at all. I'm going over 45 MPH but nothing.

The camera works because the lane keeping assist does show the lines are being seen if I turn it in. But LDW does not work very often with it off.

Is this the case for others?

Mike.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:31 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
LDW is an audible alert when crossing lane markers.
LKAS will add torque to the steering wheel to assist keeping the car in the lane.
RDM is a combination of the 2 above PLUS it will shake the wheel to alert the driver and may add braking to lessen a crash from departing the road.

The key for all 3 to function is that the car must recognize or 'see' the lane markers with the camera. In the MID you see lane markers when the system(s) are turned on. When the lane marks are hollow, the car does NOT recognize the lane markings. When the lane marks are solid, the camera is detecting the lane markers.

As you noted, it works above 45mph, but it is disabled in rain (when the wipers turn on - manually or auto), and other conditions. You do not need all 3 engaged and can 'layer' the amount of Acura Watch you choose.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 01-23-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Curious3GTL (01-24-2016)