Collision Mitigation Braking Issue - Test

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 12:20 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Collision Mitigation Braking Issue - Test

Hi...

I have CMBS set for Normal... however, in trying to "test" it, it does not go on.

I have tried driving close to cars without using brakes.. but still nothing.

No warning either.

Does anyone know a good way to make sure this important feature is working?

The ACC Cruise works fine (which uses the same camera) as does the lane departure, but I would like to be assured this works as well....

If anyone knows a good way to test without hitting something please let me know

Thank you all again

Mike
Old 12-27-2015, 12:40 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
This was the first question I asked when joining this group. At that time it seemed like most people had the same question.(click here for previous thread)

My question specifically was "Are FCW and CMBS two different things". Although my CMBS light flashes occasionally I am unable to activate it on purpose. I have also never it felt it apply the brakes, or tug at the seat-belt as the owners manual describes.

On the other hand the ACC works very well at maintaining my speed and applying the brakes when required. I believe ACC uses the same radar system as CMBS, but does not make use of the camera.

Hopefully you get some new input as more owners have gained experiences since my original post.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
This was the first question I asked when joining this group. At that time it seemed like most people had the same question.(click here for previous thread)

My question specifically was "Are FCW and CMBS two different things". Although my CMBS light flashes occasionally I am unable to activate it on purpose. I have also never it felt it apply the brakes, or tug at the seat-belt as the owners manual describes.

On the other hand the ACC works very well at maintaining my speed and applying the brakes when required. I believe ACC uses the same radar system as CMBS, but does not make use of the camera.

Hopefully you get some new input as more owners have gained experiences since my original post.
This is the same for me... Never felt seatbelt tug or braking. I have purposely come close to other vehicles to see if something wold kick in and it does not...
And like you said int he other thread the ACC works fine detects fine... But this is an important safety feature and I just want to know it is working correctly.

Anyone else have thoughts on this or experimented with this?

Last edited by MikeRadio; 12-27-2015 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Added Info
Old 12-27-2015, 01:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Change your setting to a more sensitive choice, I forget whats its labeled as but my CMBS goes off ALL THE TIME. Its kinda cool and helpful too. Goes off whenever Im tailgating a car or coming up on a stopped car and im going a bit fast
Old 12-27-2015, 01:23 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by spoiler900
Change your setting to a more sensitive choice........ Goes off whenever Im tailgating a car or coming up on a stopped car and im going a bit fast
I understand that the warning has gone off for you under these conditions, but have you ever noticed the brakes being applied, or the seat-belt tightening?

Mine is on the most sensitive stetting, and I have also received the warning under the same conditions as yourself. The problem is that if I had not already been preparing to stop, the warning would not have been sufficient to avoid a collision. The system has never applied the brakes under either of these conditions.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
YES, IT BRAKED FOR ME TWICE

I was driving on a road and the car infront of me was turning right into a parking lot. Me, as the driver, saw the blinker and proceeded to not slow down entirely knowing they were about to move out of my way and I could speed back up. But my acura didnt know that, so it slammed on the brakes. It actually sounded more like metal clashing together and made a horrible sound you never want to hear from your car. It lasted maybe a split second because the car had then moved out of my way and it proceeded as normal.

2nd time was I was swinging into a regular parking spot where there was a car infront like normal (so cars parking face to face like any other lot) and i was going in a bit fast and it did the same loud metal clashing noise for a second, I guess it was trying to brake or something

As far as seatbelt tension, I didnt specifically notice in these 2 cases but when I am taking turns fast such as getting on a highway onramp that curves around then I notice my seatbelt tighten all the time.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:56 PM
Pro

As far as settings, the most "sensative" setting I would assume is "Long" meaning the system would work farther. I don't see any other setting abotu sensativity than that.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:24 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
My warning light goes off when I don't expect it and doesn't go off when I think it should. I've never felt the brakes go on, but I never let things get that close. I've felt the seat belt tension many times. Always when I'm going around a turn at a high rate of speed.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:57 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When I was test driving the TLX at the dealer, they told me that they have the salespeople test the system by driving 5-10 MPH in the parking lot towards a big piece of carpeting that two other people are holding. Makes sense since the worst that would happen if the system doesn't kick in is that you hit a piece of soft fabric or the people can drop the carpeting. Maybe your nearby dealer would help you out with testing it.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:21 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Check settings>Vehicle Settings>Forward Collision Warning and set to long to see if system is more sensitive for you.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:43 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I've had the seatbelt activate as well. It is actually quite effective - it doesn't just tighten but also first gives two quick "snaps" that feel like someone tapping you hard on the shoulder.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:49 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
FCW is only an audible warning with BRAKE flashing in the MID. It operated from the camera in the windshield.

CMBS layer upon FCW physical alerts (seat belt tugging) and physical braking. It operates from a radar unit behind the front grille 'shield'.

The two systems have some overlap of warning / alerts, but are triggered by different mechanisms (camera vs. radar).

The following users liked this post:
miner (01-26-2016)