CBMS needs some tweaks

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015 | 02:37 PM
24TLX ASpec

CBMS needs some tweaks

A couple little annoyances I've found the with the collision warning system.

If you're going in to a right curve in the road, and there's oncoming traffic in the curve, the system thinks you're about to hit them (since they're effectively right in front of you for a second or two) and freaks out -- lights flashing, seat belt getting tighter. Not sure if the brakes would have kicked in automatically if the cars lined up for another second or two. If that had happened, it would have freaked out whoever was behind me wondering why I slammed the brakes...

Passing a large semi causes the collision system to flash like crazy if you were reasonably close to their tail when you started the lane change to the left. Same thing with the lights flashing, seat belt tightening, etc. Once again, wonder if the brakes would have kicked in if the "danger zone" lasted any longer. If that had happened, that would have made passing very difficult, and again would have freaked out whoever was behind me wondering why I slammed the brakes just as I started passing...

When you're in a drive through, it detects potential collisions in pretty much every direction at some point. The constant beeping is really annoying...
Old 05-01-2015 | 03:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

We do not have many roads like that here in Toronto so cannot try to duplicate your experiences but try taking that right curve at the same speed without oncoming traffic. The seat belt will likely get tighter, which is a good thing.

Passing the semi: there is a distance setting and maybe you are at the maximum or medium. Otherwise it is there for your protection and maybe leave a little bigger gap. Yes, I get those beeps when I drive too closely.
Old 05-01-2015 | 05:42 PM
a77
Racer

I don't have CBMS but at least by setting forward collision warning to shortest distance most of the false alarms have stopped. This may have the same effect for CBMS?
The following users liked this post:
Hoosier_TLX (05-03-2015)
Old 05-03-2015 | 06:45 PM
Racer

I agree, perhaps you can keep adjusting your settings for different ranges and maybe that will help. If the settings don't make a difference, maybe you should keep a documented journal of the issues and talk to your dealer about it.

Good luck.
Old 05-03-2015 | 08:59 PM
24TLX ASpec

Originally Posted by Quandry
We do not have many roads like that here in Toronto so cannot try to duplicate your experiences but try taking that right curve at the same speed without oncoming traffic. The seat belt will likely get tighter, which is a good thing.
Nope, the belt didn't tighten on that curve on its own, only when it combined with the CBMS warning going off.

Only time I've felt it tighten up is on most left turns at intersections.
Old 05-03-2015 | 09:01 PM
24TLX ASpec

Originally Posted by a77
I don't have CBMS but at least by setting forward collision warning to shortest distance most of the false alarms have stopped. This may have the same effect for CBMS?
Will give that a try, pretty sure everything is at "default" values... Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-04-2015 | 08:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ManbirPrihar
If you're going in to a right curve in the road, and there's oncoming traffic in the curve, the system thinks you're about to hit them (since they're effectively right in front of you for a second or two) and freaks out -- lights flashing, seat belt getting tighter. Not sure if the brakes would have kicked in automatically if the cars lined up for another second or two. If that had happened, it would have freaked out whoever was behind me wondering why I slammed the brakes.

I have some similar experiences - mostly slower speed in traffic.

I have wondered about this on a two-lane highway I use every day - CBMS has never gone off - I've wondered if the system has any steering sensitivity so that if you're on a curve it looks where you are steering to and not just what is dead ahead of the car...???
Old 05-04-2015 | 08:54 PM
Forum Contributor

Mods need to edit the title of this post to "CMBS needs some tweaks" and edit the posts, so folks can find this in a search. It is CMBS (Collision Mitigation Braking System) and not CBMS.
Old 07-06-2015 | 10:06 AM
Intermediate

Yesterday, I was driving with the adaptive cruise control on and CBMS kicked in as I was trying to pass a vehicle in front of me by pressing the accelerator. Half way out of the lane, the warning light came on and the brake applied itself. Luckily, there was no car behind me.

Same thing happened a week ago without the adaptive cruise control. I saw a safe gap between the car in front of me and a car in the next lane. So I accelerated and made the lane change but half way through, the brake applied itself. The car behind me honked and gave me the finger.

Ever since, I've disabled CBMS and avoided passing when in ACCS mode. I'd highly recommend turning CBMS off if you weave in and out of traffic.

This is not just on the TLX. It also happened on my 2016 ILX A-Spec.
Old 07-06-2015 | 10:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

You did not ask but here is my driving tip. I'd highly not recommend weaving in and out of traffic to save maybe 1 minute in travel time. If you are that close to the vehicle ahead that CMBS kicks in, you will be up the creek if that vehicle happens to suddenly brake.

ACC should have no impact on when CBMS operates. I have had the brake warning come on when overtaking but not to the point of being close enough fort braking to kick in.
Old 07-06-2015 | 07:01 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Originally Posted by prime81
Yesterday, I was driving with the adaptive cruise control on and CBMS kicked in as I was trying to pass a vehicle in front of me by pressing the accelerator. Half way out of the lane, the warning light came on and the brake applied itself. Luckily, there was no car behind me.

Same thing happened a week ago without the adaptive cruise control. I saw a safe gap between the car in front of me and a car in the next lane. So I accelerated and made the lane change but half way through, the brake applied itself. The car behind me honked and gave me the finger.

Ever since, I've disabled CBMS and avoided passing when in ACCS mode. I'd highly recommend turning CBMS off if you weave in and out of traffic.

This is not just on the TLX. It also happened on my 2016 ILX A-Spec.

I need to do same thing. The other day I was coming quite fast and I encounter a slow car in front of me and because the right lane was somehow free (a truck was quite away in the back right lane) , I change the lane when I was quite close to the slow car (I had my turn signal ON) , the CMBS start to flash and applied quite hard the brakes while I was trying to accelerate because I was already on the right lane. During all that time while the car was on "limbo" the truck was closing fast . Finally the CMBS let go and I was able to pull away from the truck. Quite scary.
I think that the system should react only if you are on steady movement without big inputs on the gas or brake pedals and /or steering wheel.
The fact that I had the turn signal on to change the lane also should avoid the CMBS to kick in.

I'm keeping now the CMBS off especially during bumper to bumper commute.
Old 09-11-2015 | 03:05 AM
Burning Brakes

I personally was on a regular street traveling say 25mph or so and the car infront of me was turning right into a parking lot entrance, I obviously saw the blinker and timed it so I would "barely miss it" (going 25mph isnt rocket science) and sure enough for a split second flashed BRAKE then seat belt tightened (both of these happen all the time on the freeway as above posts mention) but then the brakes kicked in, and I mean they really kicked in. Felt like the emergency brake was pulled it was such a loud screech. Lasted only a split second before my tlx realized the car turned but WOAH was that an eye opener.

ALSO in a PARKING LOT i was swinging into a normal spot so there would be a car infront of my spot nose to nose and as I pulled in my TLX assumed I wasnt going to brake or something and same screech happened and the car froze still! wow. My gf in the passenger seat was questioning what it was but I knew.
Old 09-11-2015 | 09:05 AM
Pro

This is interesting because I have had concerns that the CMBS may not be working properly in my new 2016 RDX (Elite), because I never get the warnings in situations that should almost certainly cause a warning.

The brake warning light has come on a few times, but no matter how hard I try, I cannot get it to occur reliably. For example (and trust me, I don't do this on a daily basis) I have driven towards the rear of a parked car at a good speed without receiving any sort of warning. The only way I could avoid collision was by swerving away at the last moment. I was too close for the brakes to have stopped me, and yet there wasn't a warning at all.

Even on the few times I have seen the warning flash, I never felt the seatbelt tighten as described in the owners manual.

Perhaps they have changed the programming of CMBS for 2016, or my concern is that my RDX is not operating correctly. I asked in another thread if anyone know of a way (or scenario) that would reliably and consistently cause the activation of CMBS for testing purposes, but no one could offer any suggestions..

Another question, are CMBS and pre-collision warning two separate systems?. It seems that if the warning is suppose to give the driver enough time to react (in case his eyes were off the road for a second), I should be getting warnings on almost every drive, and yet I never get the warning for over a week at a time.

With regards to ACC, I have nothing but good things to say. The ACC works very well, and will apply the brakes with substantial force if the vehicle in front of me slows quickly. I have noticed that ACC will be temporarily disabled whenever my foot is on the accelerator. This feature is a requirement when you want to creep up closer to the car in front in preparation for passing, without switching ACC off.
Old 09-11-2015 | 03:55 PM
Burning Brakes

To the post right before this, there should be a way to change the sensitivity in the settings in the car. I would suggest making it super sensitive then trying it and see if that helps. If still no warning signs then sure maybe there is an issue?
Old 09-11-2015 | 06:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by spoiler900
To the post right before this, there should be a way to change the sensitivity in the settings in the car. I would suggest making it super sensitive then trying it and see if that helps. If still no warning signs then sure maybe there is an issue?
It is currently on the longest range setting, but I have also tried the other settings, with no apparent change in detection sensitivity.

For some reason I saw the brake warning flash several times throughout the day, but there was never an audible beep, and certainly no tugging of the seatbelt. The only thing different about today is that the temperatures dropped considerably over what they had been over the last month.

I know that most of the posts in this thread have been complaints about false alarms, but considering this is safety item I think I could put up with a few false alarms in return for the added safety. (I know, putting on the brakes in front of a tractor trailer could be considered unsafe at times)

As I said before, the diagnostics at the dealership say that there is nothing wrong. I'm hoping that someone might have discovered a scenario in which their CMBS consistently alerts them.