9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 07:49 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by randytlx15
Has anyone had their tlx shift to N under low speed ?
There was a TSB for something similar to what you're describing for the 2015 TLX and 2016 MDX : http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B15-034.PDF
Old 06-12-2017, 07:53 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
My 2015 threw itself into Park as I was backing out of my driveway, and then continued to do so three more times as I tried to get it on the tow truck. I started a thread on it when it happened but doesn't appear to have been a common issue.

https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-...ailure-935233/

It may be worth your time to have the Transmission Control Module (TCM) checked out. That's the part that failed on mine.

Maybe the TSBs would help as well...
Old 06-12-2017, 08:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

thanks guys love my tlx not getting rid of it it does it rarely shifts smoothly after updates just trying to see y the hell it shifts to N ill check out the articles thanks again
Old 06-27-2017, 11:30 PM
18TLX Elite ASpec CBP/blk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Mine has absolutely no recalls since it's a Canadian version. Much better servicing in the USA. At least I got a transmission update at my last oil change (no idea which one though), feels a little better but still annoying to use daily ...
Fellow Canadian, 2015 Elite model -- I've complained about the 1-2 (slightly annoying) and 2-3 (very annoying) "bumps" the last 3 services. They applied some software update 2 services ago, and that lessened the issue for a bit, but then it came back just as bad. This last time they did a bunch of extra diagnostics for the engineers, and they called me about a week or so later to say that they are going to replace the transmission under warranty. Have to wait a few weeks for the parts to come in and then I'm told to expect them to have the car for the better part of a week...
Old 06-28-2017, 07:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
It took just over a week for my transmission to arrive after the replacement was approved and a day and a half for the replacement to be done. It now drives like a regular car.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:04 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Year and a Half Later...

2015 TLX SHAWD Tech, an early build that clearly falls in the range of the effected vehicles.
Original owner tried to get the "harsh shift" fixed 2 times.
I brought the TLX in 5 times to get the harsh shift fixed.
The Service Tech acknowledged the harsh shift in writing.
PCM updated 3 times, idle relearn updated 4 times, various TSBs done multiple times...
Harsh shift still existed.
I finally asked, "I want someone to explain why we have not proceeded to the final instructions of TSB-040 V7 - replace transmission."

ACURA finally agreed to replace the transmission - and the TLX now shifts as a car should. I love the car now. I just don't understand why it had to take so long to get ACURA to correct a problem they acknowledge exists.

Good luck to all of you that have the shifting issue. Be friendly, yet persistent. It can be achieved.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by nascar9900
I just don't understand why it had to take so long to get ACURA to correct a problem they acknowledge exists.
Thanks for sharing your story and glad it worked out!

But the fact it took this much effort is wholly unacceptable. It's a $40-$45,000 car. It should not require that much money, and then another dozen trips to the dealership and dozens of hours of our time to finally get the car we paid for. This is similar to what I had to go through with mine. If this is how Acura is still treating it's customers then they've learned nothing. I guess Acura is content with their miserable owner satisfaction surveys. Personally, I don't see a time when I'll buy an Acura sedan ever again, this after owning five Acuras (including a 15 TLX). I dumped it last year and got a Lexus, which has been a fantastic car.

Last edited by 1Louder; 07-08-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
nascar9900, exact same story and same outcome. Did not take as many trips but same process. The car is now great but my error was to buy a first year early build. I know better than that but had such great luck with Acura in the past....
My position now is based to this and a couple of other TSBs I had to get them to do is this turned out to be a vehicle I had to build myself!!!! Also have a Lexus, 1Louder, agree great trouble free car right out of the box.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:42 AM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
Crazy this is still going on. I still have my TLX which I use to keep some miles off of the BMW while I wait out the last month and a half of the lease. The TLX is a comfortable car with a great stereo (there's a lot to be said for that) but it's just not designed around the driver the way the BMW is. I've had a couple issues with the BMW, interior construction (not solved yet) and a defective subwoofer module, but the difference is the service department treated me like absolute royalty. I understand for many of us the issues were happening before the pressure mounted on Acura or they had a real fix to the trans. but, for Pete's sake, stay engaged with your customers. Don't brush them off or make them feel like they're on trial having to prove guilt when they're the ones making payments every month. Further, over the years I've had so many Honda/Acura products and brought so many people into the brand, if I say I need a transmission replaced, as long as they can verify the slightest problem I see, replace the bloody thing and do it with a smile on your face. Acura has no idea what they lost and are losing.
The following users liked this post:
pyrodan007 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 10:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Putting that garbage ZF9 in all new Honda/Acura products is really not doing them any favors. They had a golden opportunity to use the new 10sp in the TLX MMC, but instead a minivan got first dibs (because performance ....). I really don't thrust the reliability of this thing in the long term, many MDX/TLX reviews and forum members already had a replacement done. When people already mention strange noises after only 3 years of operations, well not good in my books. I'm pretty sure my next car will not be an Acura, just not worth it when factoring in customer support.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:49 AM

Acura TLX US car sales figures

Interesting to see the bottom line the way Acura would. There was a sharp drop off in sales from 2015 to 2016 in US sales (47K to 37K), but strangely enough 2017 sales to date are almost identical to 16 (18.9K cars by June in 16, 19.0K cars in 17). Maybe Acura thinks 37K cars/year is OK.

Canada seems to be following the same pattern, just with fewer cars. http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2014/08...ly-yearly.html

But I think the story the data isn't telling is how many future customers Acura is actually losing and won't come back. Unless they build some kind of unicorn I'm probably going to stay with Lexus. When my wife's MDX needs to be replaced, we'll primarily look at Lexus again or maybe Audi. What was perplexing about my whole experience is that Acura never seemed to really care about retaining me as a customer. I had to fight for the better part of a year just to get the car they should have sold me in the first place.

Last edited by 1Louder; 07-14-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Putting that garbage ZF9 in all new Honda/Acura products is really not doing them any favors. They had a golden opportunity to use the new 10sp in the TLX MMC, but instead a minivan got first dibs (because performance ....). I really don't thrust the reliability of this thing in the long term, many MDX/TLX reviews and forum members already had a replacement done. When people already mention strange noises after only 3 years of operations, well not good in my books. I'm pretty sure my next car will not be an Acura, just not worth it when factoring in customer support.
All manufactures will have mechanical/transmission problems (strange noises). These get blown out of proportion when there is another unrelated problem. I have not been hearing about any common or serious problem with the "fixed" ZF9 transmissions. There is no question that that the '15 version was bad, but the new one does not deserve the garbage.label.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:30 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
My SH-AWD was an early 9/14 build 2015 model that I purchased in 2015.

No doubt that the early builds had a bad rev of the 9 speed transmission, but the updated rev that went into production mid-2015 corrected the problem. My transmission was replaced in Jan 2016 and has been absolutely fine for the last 18 months. As best as I can tell, the 2016 and 2017 models have been fine as well.

9 speed and 10 speed transmissions are done for one reason and one reason only...fuel economy. That probably explains why they put it in the van, plus, while the 2018 TLX MMC tinkers around the cosmetic edges, swapping the transmission would mean major changes to the powertrain. I assume they didn't want to do a redesign, only a cosmetic update and minor update to infotainment. The 2015 and 2018 models are 99% the same vehicle.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neil0311
9 speed and 10 speed transmissions are done for one reason and one reason only...fuel economy. That probably explains why they put it in the van, plus, while the 2018 TLX MMC tinkers around the cosmetic edges, swapping the transmission would mean major changes to the powertrain. I assume they didn't want to do a redesign, only a cosmetic update and minor update to infotainment. The 2015 and 2018 models are 99% the same vehicle.
My 2012 TL went from a 5sp to 6sp transmission for MMC. If Acura wants, it can change mechanical things for MMC without problems. The 10sp is attached to the 3.5l engine, changes are not too big to do on the TLX to get it. The transmission may be fine now, but that will never correct the way it was handled. I still have never received any communication for my Canadian model, even if I had a software update. Based on all the new models coming out soon, the 18 TLX is not new or improved enough to keep me interested in 6 months. Especially when the 2018 Accord is even more interesting for much cheaper, minus awd unfortunately.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 07-15-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:11 AM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts
Finally!

I'm getting my 2015 V6 FWD's transmission replaced after taking it back again 4 months following the software update (which just made the 2-3 shift worse). They apparently hook it up to a monitor and capture data out of the torque converter, then send it to a specialized Acura Tech Support manager for review. My dealer has been totally fine about it with zero pushback. The only downside is that I've been stuck in a loaner ILX.

Crossing my fingers that it'll drive better once I get it back. I could tell the difference was night and day on a 2016 TLX loaner I had on the previous visit.

Now the question is - what transmission is actually going in the car?

- The late '15 version that addressed the issue?
- The '16-'17 version?
- The further revised '18 tranny?

My Service Advisor said she will find out, but I am curious to see what others have been told.
9SpeedTran (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Nice Job

TLXinTX , Congratulations. New transmission should be a '16+. That is what they put in mine over a year ago. You will like it and can take pride you are driving a car that you "built". When you get the new one post again and let us know what you got and how you like it.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:40 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TLXinTX
Finally!

I'm getting my 2015 V6 FWD's transmission replaced after taking it back again 4 months following the software update (which just made the 2-3 shift worse). They apparently hook it up to a monitor and capture data out of the torque converter, then send it to a specialized Acura Tech Support manager for review. My dealer has been totally fine about it with zero pushback. The only downside is that I've been stuck in a loaner ILX.

Crossing my fingers that it'll drive better once I get it back. I could tell the difference was night and day on a 2016 TLX loaner I had on the previous visit.

Now the question is - what transmission is actually going in the car?

- The late '15 version that addressed the issue?
- The '16-'17 version?
- The further revised '18 tranny?

My Service Advisor said she will find out, but I am curious to see what others have been told.
@TLXinTX -- First off, hope you are OK in Texas. Hoping for the best for all. Secondly, have you received your new transmission yet? Long story short, I have had my 2015 TLX FWD V6 in for services 3 times at the same dealer and have also created a case with Acura Customer Relations. The dealer was unable to replicate the 'issues' -- either was I guess in hindsight in the 10 or 15 minutes I drove it each time with a service technician. The car still annoys the hell out of me and doesn't drive like it should -- the last loaner car I had was a '17 with a manufacture date of 6/2016 -- it drove as smooth as butter compared to my car. I am thinking about bringing my car to another dealer (Acura corporate suggested it) and driving around with a technician for an hour, most likely or hopefully in a traffic situation. i.e. 1-2, 2-3 gears.

Provide us an update on your situation if you can.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by ruler1577
@TLXinTX -- First off, hope you are OK in Texas. Hoping for the best for all. Secondly, have you received your new transmission yet? Long story short, I have had my 2015 TLX FWD V6 in for services 3 times at the same dealer and have also created a case with Acura Customer Relations. The dealer was unable to replicate the 'issues' -- either was I guess in hindsight in the 10 or 15 minutes I drove it each time with a service technician. The car still annoys the hell out of me and doesn't drive like it should -- the last loaner car I had was a '17 with a manufacture date of 6/2016 -- it drove as smooth as butter compared to my car. I am thinking about bringing my car to another dealer (Acura corporate suggested it) and driving around with a technician for an hour, most likely or hopefully in a traffic situation. i.e. 1-2, 2-3 gears.

I might suggest that when you are out with a tech or a service rep, use sport+ and shift with the paddles. The delay in my car was 10x what it was in auto, and it does it every time. In auto, it was very difficult to replicate consistently but I did observe this - in auto, the 2-3 shift hesitation was only detectable if the car shifted between say 2500 and 3000 RPM. So if you are under light or heavy acceleration, you miss that band. You have to accelerate "normal" - not fast and not slow. I actually practiced it so I could replicate it. BTW, when using the paddles, shift right before 3K.

But the hesitation from 1-2 and 2-3 was SO pronounced using the paddle shifters it can't be ignored. They are unusable. Still they tried to explain it away, giving me some BS reason about manual shifting and even challenged if I used that mode daily. I said it didn't matter - I bought a car with Sport+ mode and paddle shifters and they should work.

BTW, I didn't get final resolution until I drove with an area rep. The people at my dealership pretty much agreed with me there was a problem, but it's corporate Acura that has to make the call. So unless the service manager at the dealership has the authority, demand a drive with the area rep.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:27 PM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks ruler. I'm in the DFW area so we've been out of Harvey's path fortunately.

I just picked up my car today and drove it about 10 miles. So far it's much, much better. The 2-3 shift is pretty crisp; while not imperceptible, it no longer holds 2nd too long and falls into 3rd like a new driver using a stick shift. Additionally the car seems to be in the "right gear" at all times, ready to quickly accelerate when called upon.

I like the suggestion of trying another dealer. Like you, I was at the point where all I could think about was how noticeable the shift was going to be every time I accelerated.

Good luck!
Old 08-31-2017, 08:32 PM
Drifting

Thanks ruler. I'm in the DFW area so we've been out of Harvey's path fortunately.

I just picked up my car today and drove it about 10 miles. So far it's much, much better. The 2-3 shift is pretty crisp; while not imperceptible, it no longer holds 2nd too long and falls into 3rd like a new driver using a stick shift. Additionally the car seems to be in the "right gear" at all times, ready to quickly accelerate when called upon.

I like the suggestion of trying another dealer. Like you, I was at the point where all I could think about was how noticeable the shift was going to be every time I accelerated.

Good luck!
lol. They must hate me, then, because I tried 3 different Acura dealers in the DFW area and I couldn't get a new one. Congrats on the new transmission!
Old 09-01-2017, 08:50 AM
10th Gear

Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback. It may sound stupid or ignorant, but in my older age I never realized that I should try manually shifting in the Sport + mode as a means to replicate it. Bingo! I can replicate it almost 90% of the time, especially in that ~ 2500 RPM range. I'll blame my job and kids for having too much on my mind to think clearly. I have re-contacted the last dealer and this has renewed my faith in that I can at least now replicate it. I'll keep you posted...
Old 09-01-2017, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the feedback. It may sound stupid or ignorant, but in my older age I never realized that I should try manually shifting in the Sport + mode as a means to replicate it. Bingo! I can replicate it almost 90% of the time, especially in that ~ 2500 RPM range. I'll blame my job and kids for having too much on my mind to think clearly. I have re-contacted the last dealer and this has renewed my faith in that I can at least now replicate it. I'll keep you posted...
Good luck! Don't let them try to tell you manual is "different" somehow and the shifts are harder. They tried that with me.

And 40 isn't old. :wink: Blame the kids.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:28 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3 month update on replacement transmission

The replacement transmission is beautiful. I have forgotten about all the frustration the original one gave me - every single day.

Under heavy acceleration, the shifts are flawless. Under normal acceleration, some shifts are noticeable, but not concerning. Downshifting on a 9 speed transmission will likely always be "different".

Conclusion - I love the car once the transmission was replaced.
a35tl (11-07-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 07:00 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nascar9900
The replacement transmission is beautiful. I have forgotten about all the frustration the original one gave me - every single day.

Under heavy acceleration, the shifts are flawless. Under normal acceleration, some shifts are noticeable, but not concerning. Downshifting on a 9 speed transmission will likely always be "different".

Conclusion - I love the car once the transmission was replaced.
well, it looks like my car is getting a second replacement transmission. The first one was for the bad 2-3 shift, and the second one will be because of a chirp noise.
I love the car, but I don’t know if I can keep a car with only 17,000 miles that has had the tranny replaced twice
pyrodan007 (10-21-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 07:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Robs252
well, it looks like my car is getting a second replacement transmission. The first one was for the bad 2-3 shift, and the second one will be because of a chirp noise.
I love the car, but I don’t know if I can keep a car with only 17,000 miles that has had the tranny replaced twice
I hear you. I've already come to the conclusion my next car won't be an Acura, but in your case, at least this one will be a new transmission. So it's like you got a free ride on a transmission for 17k. Now if this one gives you issues, then I'd really be pissed. lol.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:30 AM
10th Gear

Update on my 2015 V6 FWD hard shifts

I failed. This is the 4th time that I took the car into this same dealer -- this time they hooked it up to the computer and the technician did snapshots while I drove the car. Of course, as my luck, and with the 3 prior sessions... I was NOT able to really get some bad shifts in there. I did put the car into Sport + manual mode and did some manual shifting. Were they smooth shifts? Absolutely not, but of course, the tech argued that it is "normal". BS. I did have a pretty hard, lagging, shift in Sport + (not manual) mode. They did submit I believe a total of 9 snapshots to Acura's tech line or whatever they call it. What's frustrating is that your [I'm] fought every step of the way here and that there is no way to talk to any of the tech's at Acura's tech line. I wish there was a way, and I'm sure there is, that I can drive around with my laptop open and take my own snapshots. In conclusion, and as with most things made in this generation, I'm putting up the white flag; I've been defeated and will just "live with it". They did perform some sort of fuel injection update, I am still waiting for the paperwork but I believe the acronym is something like TPMFI. Also, I have noticed lately that if I give the car more gas, while it's trying to figure out how to smoothly shift from 2-3, that is makes a smoother shift. Literally while it's making the transition from 2 to 3, I push down on the gas pedal more and steadily increase it and then back off while it's in 3rd gear.

I may call the Acura customer case manager back (again) and notify her of my 4th time bringing this car in, but I doubt it will do any good. They too also hide behind the guise that they cannot override the tech line engineers; in my opinion, they offer very little value-add.

One annoyed Acura owner.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:22 PM

I failed. This is the 4th time that I took the car into this same dealer -- this time they hooked it up to the computer and the technician did snapshots while I drove the car. Of course, as my luck, and with the 3 prior sessions... I was NOT able to really get some bad shifts in there. I did put the car into Sport + manual mode and did some manual shifting. Were they smooth shifts? Absolutely not, but of course, the tech argued that it is "normal". BS. I did have a pretty hard, lagging, shift in Sport + (not manual) mode. They did submit I believe a total of 9 snapshots to Acura's tech line or whatever they call it. What's frustrating is that your [I'm] fought every step of the way here and that there is no way to talk to any of the tech's at Acura's tech line. I wish there was a way, and I'm sure there is, that I can drive around with my laptop open and take my own snapshots. In conclusion, and as with most things made in this generation, I'm putting up the white flag; I've been defeated and will just "live with it". They did perform some sort of fuel injection update, I am still waiting for the paperwork but I believe the acronym is something like TPMFI. Also, I have noticed lately that if I give the car more gas, while it's trying to figure out how to smoothly shift from 2-3, that is makes a smoother shift. Literally while it's making the transition from 2 to 3, I push down on the gas pedal more and steadily increase it and then back off while it's in 3rd gear.

I may call the Acura customer case manager back (again) and notify her of my 4th time bringing this car in, but I doubt it will do any good. They too also hide behind the guise that they cannot override the tech line engineers; in my opinion, they offer very little value-add.

One annoyed Acura owner.
So disappointed to hear this is still happening.

I'll mention in passing that in my latest Consumer Reports magazine "car issue", the TLX and ILX are notably at the bottom of the quality lists. Something is not right at Acura right now. The entire product line is sliding (I've owned 5).

When I got that fed up I traded out of the car. If you want to have some fun, trade it at the dealership giving you all the run-around. They have no choice to give you full consideration for a car that's "acting normal". In fact you can really hammer them on the trade in value because if they concede the point that your car is worth anything less than full trade in value they are admitting the car has a problem. It's the one time a customer may have the dealership over a barrel.

Even though they swapped my trany eventually (after a year of fighting with them), I couldn't let it go. Got tired of thinking about it every time I got in the car. Love my Lexus BTW.
pyrodan007 (11-07-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 03:59 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Ruler1577 - I have the same issue. Acura won’t replace the transmission after numerous times at the dealership. I asked the dealer to re-apply the TSBs affecting the tranny and I’m always met with ‘can’t do that - system doesn’t allow it’. I go for a oil change next weekend (free) and will make a stink again. If I don’t get any traction from this visit, I’ll sell the car and get something else. I’ve been a Honda customer for over 20 years and they’re going to lose me over a stupid transmission issue. Dumb.... can’t see the forest through the trees. I agree with 1Louder - the product line is a mess.
Rocket_man (11-18-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 07:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jswift2000
Ruler1577 - I have the same issue. Acura won’t replace the transmission after numerous times at the dealership. I asked the dealer to re-apply the TSBs affecting the tranny and I’m always met with ‘can’t do that - system doesn’t allow it’. I go for a oil change next weekend (free) and will make a stink again. If I don’t get any traction from this visit, I’ll sell the car and get something else. I’ve been a Honda customer for over 20 years and they’re going to lose me over a stupid transmission issue. Dumb.... can’t see the forest through the trees. I agree with 1Louder - the product line is a mess.
Just walk away from the TLX, best decision you can make. Financially sad but mentally and physically rewarding. Acura's support has been terrible so far, no longer a product issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
1Louder (11-09-2017), Rocket_man (11-18-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 08:52 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Nine Speeds and Another Problem for Honda's Gear-iest Transmission - The Truth About Cars

Acura has a tough job ahead of it. As the brand tries to grow volume and retain some of the clout it lost in past years, it finds itself with too many cars and two few SUVs in a market that demands more of the latter, not the former.

Meanwhile, the impressive reborn NSX, now a hybrid, hasn’t captured the imagination of sports car fans in the same way as its long-lived predecessor.Keeping up with — and in some cases, getting in front of — technological trends is part of Acura’s comeback plan. Naturally, in the interest of technological advancement and environmental appeasement, it was necessary to bring a multi-cog automatic transmission on board.

However, a series of manufacturer service bulletin point to two potential weak points in the company’s nine-speed.Late last month, Acura issued two service bulletins to dealers — one covering the 2015-2016 TLX sedan, the other dealing with the 2016 MDX.

In it, Acura warns that some transmission warmers were “improperly manufactured,” allowing engine coolant and automatic transmission fluid to mix.Should this occur, “the engine and transmission may be permanently damaged and require replacement.”
In the case of the TLX, the vehicles’ transmissions were already replaced once before to remedy a leaking transmission warmer.“

In rare cases, these vehicles may have also overheated but because the issue was under investigation, a standard repair procedure hadn’t been developed,”
the bulletin reads. “Further action is needed before the vehicle is completely repaired.”

The same issue afflicts 2016 Honda Pilots. Owners will be notified by the manufacturer to take their vehicles back for a checkup. If the component falls outside the affected manufacturing date, there’s no problem. However, if it does prove suspect, the vehicle will receive a bevy of new parts — among them, a transmission, transmission warmer, radiator, thermostat, coolant hoses, coolant reserve tank, and ECT sensor O-rings.
It’s possible owners will also find themselves driving away with a new short block and cylinder head, plus the transmission and coolant trappings.This isn’t the only issue to strike nine-speed Honda and Acura models. In a series of service bulletins issued in September, the automaker warns of transmission end cover leaks on the 2015-2017 TLX, 2016-2017 MDX, 2016-2017 Pilot, and 2018 Honda Odyssey.

“During assembly, the transmission end cover sealing gasket gets torn,” the automaker states in its bulletin. To remedy the issue, the manufacturer will replace the dodgy gasket.
After reaching a U.S. post-recession sales high in 2015, Acura’s annual sales tally has dropped considerably. October 2017 sales dropped 1.3 percent, year-over-year. Until the brand fields more utility vehicles, it’s difficult to see the MDX and RDX offsetting losses in the declining passenger car segment.

Last edited by justnspace; 11-09-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:06 PM

^ In spite of my harsh words about the TLX, I did find most of the car to be perfectly acceptable except the 9-speed tranny and of course Acura customer care. If the transmission had worked properly I'd still own the car. Unfortunately that serious flaw in the car also illuminated the serious flaw they have with customer service.

My wife loves the MDX - when we traded out of our old one I very intentionally avoided the 15 or 16. We opted for a gently used 14 just to avoid the 9-speed.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:43 AM
10th Gear

Update: I'm now scheduled to meet and drive with the local-area rep (I believe he is the rep for ~ 10+ local South NJ dealerships) on Friday. I'm overly pessimistic that any value will come out of it but on the contrary, I'm keeping an open mind.

Again, if anyone is local to NJ, PA, or DE, I'd love to meet a fellow 2015 V6 FWD TLX owner.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2017, 07:37 AM
Instructor

Ruler, Have a copy of SB 15-040 and read it to him. " If the client is still concerned..."
Old 11-16-2017, 09:54 AM

Update: I'm now scheduled to meet and drive with the local-area rep (I believe he is the rep for ~ 10+ local South NJ dealerships) on Friday. I'm overly pessimistic that any value will come out of it but on the contrary, I'm keeping an open mind.

Again, if anyone is local to NJ, PA, or DE, I'd love to meet a fellow 2015 V6 FWD TLX owner.

Thanks
Go into Sport + and paddle shift at the 3,000-3300 rpm mark. That's the best way to repeat the issue and expose how bad the delay in shift is. It's hard to repeat when you let the tranny do the shifting. But if you have to, I found the issue is only exposed when the car shifts at that 3-3.3K mark. That requires that you accelerate "modestly". Too slow and the car shifts below that mark, too aggressive and it revs past. You don't get the bump if the car shifts at 2K or 4K. I actually practiced starting with the correct throttle pressure to make the car shift at that point. Which is fair, because in normal traffic under normal acceleration conditions, that's exactly where 80% of your shifts will be going from 1-2 and 2-3.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:22 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Louder
^ In spite of my harsh words about the TLX, I did find most of the car to be perfectly acceptable except the 9-speed tranny and of course Acura customer care. If the transmission had worked properly I'd still own the car. Unfortunately that serious flaw in the car also illuminated the serious flaw they have with customer service.

My wife loves the MDX - when we traded out of our old one I very intentionally avoided the 15 or 16. We opted for a gently used 14 just to avoid the 9-speed.
Acura will never be though of as a Luxury brand with the current culture of their Customer Care. When I owned a BMW it spent far more time at the shop but they fixed every issue and actually found things on the car to fix that I didn't even realize needed fixing. But not a car I'd own out of warranty. I'm financially stuck with the TLX for awhile since we've had some significant costs lately.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:58 AM
10th Gear

Smile

Thanks

UPDATE -- Drove with the Acura local-area rep last week as well as the dealerships service manager. Was able to get at least one good higher-RPM lagging, delayed, hard-shift in there. The local-rep denied feeling it -- I get that -- I then went into a quick polite diatribe about how annoying the problem can be over the course of a week, month, etc. Anyhow, he was very professional and listened to my complaints and cited, that since I have taken the car in 4 times with the same complaint, that they will replace my transmission. Yay!

Already got the call this morning that the new transmission has arrived and that they can install it within a few days.

Will post a reply after all is said and done!
Old 11-20-2017, 10:35 AM
Burning Brakes

UPDATE -- Drove with the Acura local-area rep last week as well as the dealerships service manager. Was able to get at least one good higher-RPM lagging, delayed, hard-shift in there. The local-rep denied feeling it -- I get that -- I then went into a quick polite diatribe about how annoying the problem can be over the course of a week, month, etc. Anyhow, he was very professional and listened to my complaints and cited, that since I have taken the car in 4 times with the same complaint, that they will replace my transmission. Yay!

Already got the call this morning that the new transmission has arrived and that they can install it within a few days.

4 times to get a stupid fix!?! Seriously wow to Acura for being major dicks. But congrats to you for staying firm and getting it done!
Old 11-27-2017, 10:05 AM
10th Gear

Update: Received the new transmission last week and it is a HUGE improvement -- smooth as butter compared to the original transmission. I am happy that it's been replaced and have a sigh of relief that the madness is over. For reference, this was a re-manufactured transmission, which I did ask about when they initially placed the order to Acura corporate. They weren't sure if it would be a re-manufactured or a new trans; either way I was affirmed that the guts of it would be new, etc, but that they sometimes use a re-manufactured case. At this point I don't really care, the hardest part now is re-training my brain to stop thinking about how the car will shift from 1-2-2-3 and what I'm doing with the gas pedal. On a side note, on the way home from the dealer, I did notice one bad shift or something weird with the cylinder timing from gears 4-5. Since then, and I've put on about 230+ miles, I haven't felt it. I guess the self-learning trans did some learning

All in all, I'm happy. Hopefully it stays that way...
Old 11-27-2017, 12:37 PM

^ Glad you are happy with the fix!
Joe T (11-29-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 12:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
I just started really feeling the rough shifts in the past few weeks. I took my 2015 in about 2 weeks ago for a TCM and idle learn fix. Drove it around for about 700miles and felt the transmission shifts were even more prominent, so I took it back on Saturday. They said the car had failed the shift test and they would inspect the ATF warmer (as noted in the letter that was sent out). Fast forward to today and the warmer passed their test, so they applied another TCM update. Hopefully that'll fix the issue, but I'll be driving it around closer to a month before I possibly have to bring it back *knock on wood*.

All pretty weird cause I didn't feel any rough shifts, save for less than a handful of them where the gear would kinda hang in revs, but otherwise before I turned it to 34000 miles, didn't really feel anything. For me it's not a deal breaker with the car, and I'm happy I'm covered for another 10yrs, but am a bit disappointed that a car I spent this much on is having this kind of trouble barely 2yrs into ownership. I was always aware that the transmissions in Acuras weren't always really good, but man, 2yrs....

Quick Reply: 9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3