9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 08:29 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
*EDIT* : Accidentally responded to an old post ... ignore.

Last edited by Rocketsfan; 03-13-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Same exact story as volmoon except FWD. A lot of effort but now I feel I really built it myself. New experience hope it lasts.

9 speed is really an amazing piece of engineering not surprised it took a while to get it right. Sorry Honda/Acura handled it so badly but they really paid a price.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
While the hard shift is gone, there are still instances when the tranny takes a while to downshift. The unpredictability when wanting to pass lanes is what pisses me the most.
The following users liked this post:
quantum7 (03-15-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 09:47 AM
SwaxStar33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Taking my 15' FWD v6 in on Wednesday for the tranny update. I've got hard shifts, the roller coaster surprise accelerate on a down hill shift, the pull into traffic and go no where with your foot to floor. But don't worry...the service adviser, "assures", the update will fix all these issues. Excuse me if I don't believe him. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:25 AM
2015 Advance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let us know how it goes. My 2015 TLX Advance which falls in the 15-040 range still has the kick from 2-3, but not every time. The last time it was in the shop they did the re-learn procedure which didn't seem to help.

I think I can make the car kick when I manually shift it from 2-3. Does anyone know if that counts, or is it only when the car is automatically shifting?

Next time it's in for an oil change, I'll mention it again. Would I just demand a new transmission since they can't seem to fix it?
Old 03-21-2017, 04:34 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SwaxStar33
Taking my 15' FWD v6 in on Wednesday for the tranny update. I've got hard shifts, the roller coaster surprise accelerate on a down hill shift, the pull into traffic and go no where with your foot to floor. But don't worry...the service adviser, "assures", the update will fix all these issues. Excuse me if I don't believe him. Fingers crossed.
Will this be a replacement transmission, or a software update? My TLX is quite early 2015 model… and after software updates, my only remaining annoyance is the run away tachometer when descending a hill. Do I have any recourse?
Old 03-21-2017, 07:36 AM
SwaxStar33

Originally Posted by nhester
Will this be a replacement transmission, or a software update? My TLX is quite early 2015 model… and after software updates, my only remaining annoyance is the run away tachometer when descending a hill. Do I have any recourse?
Just a software update. Mine is also an early 2015 build, but I only have 12k miles on it. This will be the first time I've taken it in, and I'm hoping for some good results. I know to eventually get a replacement transmission you have to get the ol' documentation ball rolling. I had a 2002 tl type S and it was an act of congress to get them to swap out the transmission, and this thing almost killed me! I'll let you know if they give more insight into the problem.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:21 AM
Advanced

Just a software update. Mine is also an early 2015 build, but I only have 12k miles on it. This will be the first time I've taken it in, and I'm hoping for some good results. I know to eventually get a replacement transmission you have to get the ol' documentation ball rolling. I had a 2002 tl type S and it was an act of congress to get them to swap out the transmission, and this thing almost killed me! I'll let you know if they give more insight into the problem.
We are in essentially identical situations, my TLX is also at ~15k. This is my 3rd Acura… and I’m extremely pleased with the 2015 TLX despite a few (quite minor?) hiccups with the transmission. After the software updates and “relearning” initialized, I found it to be free of any complaints other than the tendency for it to accelerate (with rapidly rising tachometer!) when descending a moderately steep hill with cruise control engaged. This last condition is hardly a problem for me as I have “learned” how to avoid it!
Old 03-22-2017, 09:55 PM
SwaxStar33

Originally Posted by nhester
We are in essentially identical situations, my TLX is also at ~15k. This is my 3rd Acura… and I’m extremely pleased with the 2015 TLX despite a few (quite minor?) hiccups with the transmission. After the software updates and “relearning” initialized, I found it to be free of any complaints other than the tendency for it to accelerate (with rapidly rising tachometer!) when descending a moderately steep hill with cruise control engaged. This last condition is hardly a problem for me as I have “learned” how to avoid it!

I picked up my tlx this afternoon, and man what a difference. The service tech told me there were two updates they installed, and I should tell a big difference. I was honestly very skeptical, but surprisingly very pleased. I know this could change, but so far so good.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:42 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
My TLX is a late build 2015 (August) and I took it in today for the latest update. It still has some low speed lag and jerkiness. I spoke with the SA and they said they will be keeping the car overnight. They want to determine whether or not it just needs the new update or a part replaced. I thought the late build 2015's had newer transmissions, but who knows. Let's see what comes out of this.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:20 PM
Intermediate

I have an early build 2015. VIN is 002204. I had the software update for the 2-3 hard shift applied last July. It worked for a short while but the hard shift returned. THe shift is harsh probably 95% of the time regardless of how little or much throttle is used. I have an appointment for next week to get the transmission replaced. The dealer told me that have replaced several of these transmissions at this point. When I had the update done it was right after the TSB was updated with transmission replacement procedures. At that point the dealer told me they had not replaced any transmissions. THe dealer is Zimbrick Acura of Middleton. The service adviser has been great to work with. I like this car and fell that I will love it once the transmission is replaced.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:37 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wagsrules
I have an early build 2015. VIN is 002204. I had the software update for the 2-3 hard shift applied last July. It worked for a short while but the hard shift returned. THe shift is harsh probably 95% of the time regardless of how little or much throttle is used. I have an appointment for next week to get the transmission replaced. The dealer told me that have replaced several of these transmissions at this point. When I had the update done it was right after the TSB was updated with transmission replacement procedures. At that point the dealer told me they had not replaced any transmissions. THe dealer is Zimbrick Acura of Middleton. The service adviser has been great to work with. I like this car and fell that I will love it once the transmission is replaced.
Yeh… I, also, have great confidence in Zimbrick Acura. Your TLX is even a tad earlier than mine (006675). I am very pleased with my TLX… except for its down-hill idiosyncrasy. And that is quite rare as we’ve both adapted quite well to each other…
Old 03-24-2017, 08:20 AM
Instructor

wagrules, mine was earlier than yours and I got it replaced. I just read acura service bulletin 15-040 version 5 to them over and over. Really got help from client relations by having a case started and getting a case manager who worked with the dealer. See my earlier posts. The key phrase is after the update, "if the client returns after driving the vehicle 500 miles and is still concerned about the 2-3 shift, go to REPAIR PROCEDURE; REPLACE TRANSMISSION.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had mine replaced 2 weeks ago under TSB 15-040 and all I can say is it truly transforms the car. While it is not what some would call a true sports sedan, which I knew it wasn't when I bought it, it is finally enjoyable and fun to drive. The shame of it all is Acura let this transmission go into production before it was ready for prime time. Two years of complaining and frustration and I finally have the car I hoped I would have when I made my purchase. Fortunately, my dealer had my back and was able to capture a "snapshot" of the transmission's harsh 1-2 shift and send the data off to Acura's Tech Line who OK'd the replacement. I feel sorry for all those '15 owners who have not been as lucky.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:34 PM
Racer

I just got my car back earlier today and there is a tangible difference in how it drives. They applied the latest update and the lag and jerkiness are gone! I didn't notice any hard shifts either, which would happen occasionally in the past. I'm hoping this doesn't jinx it but everything seems great so far . I think the late build 2015's and the 16's have the same transmission, as this update covered both models.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:35 PM
SwaxStar33

Angry

I've already felt mine revert back to it's problematic ways a few times since the updates two days ago. It's truly amazing to me how this car can be so awesome sometimes, and other times I literally want to punch the steering wheel it makes me so mad.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
I've already felt mine revert back to it's problematic ways a few times since the updates two days ago. It's truly amazing to me how this car can be so awesome sometimes, and other times I literally want to punch the steering wheel it makes me so mad.
That's why I don't even bother to think about bringing it in for the update, too many stories about it reverting back. I'm just waiting for my lease to end and call it a year. It's the one thing that will make me walk away from Acura on lease end without looking back, using the same transmission on the MMC.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:49 PM
Racer

Do you have an early or late build TLX?
Old 03-26-2017, 09:13 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
That's why I don't even bother to think about bringing it in for the update, too many stories about it reverting back. I'm just waiting for my lease to end and call it a year. It's the one thing that will make me walk away from Acura on lease end without looking back, using the same transmission on the MMC.
Ditto !.
Just waiting 8-10 more months to end my lease and not looking back. I think I found my next car , the new Q5
Old 03-27-2017, 08:11 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It's been just over two months since I had the software revised (again) on my 2015 TLX (V6-AWD). I've probably put 1000 miles on it since the change. I've been waiting for the dreaded "hit the gas and nothing happens" problem to appear. It did once but it was not as bad as before. On the other hand, the hard shifts that were eliminated during the second last update seem to be back. They aren't as violent as at first, but definitely harder than before this last update. The acceleration problem is the thing that bugged me the most. If it stays at bay, then I'll be happy. If I had leased this car, maybe I would ditch it when the time came. However, I typically buy my Honda/Acura products so I can drive them for 7 or 8 years. Not sure if that will happen this time.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:08 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Just dropping back in to see what's going on and I'm amazed to see the same stories I was dealing with almost 2 years ago. FWIW, my former Jan 15 build TLX SH-AWD never responded to SW updates (always reverted back - after 2 updates and 2 relearns). Problem didn't go away until I got the replacement transmission. Took 14 months, 3 trips to the dealer and a LOT of complaining to finally get a replacement.

I have an observation about the lag when downshifting (floor it going any speed above say 40 mph and it took several seconds to downshift and go). That didn't go away with the new tranny. In Aug last year I traded out of my TLX into a 16 Lexus IS200t F-Sport that has an 8-speed tranny. I get the same thing. It's not turbo lag, but a ~1-2 second delay before it shifts and hits the power. I notice the car hits 8th gear at about 40 mph, so even on surface streets if you hit the accelerator it has to drop from 8th to 3rd or 4th. I'm wondering if that's just the nature of these transmissions with 8+ gears. They get into top gear at such low speeds and then have to jump over half the gears when you do a hard acceleration. I've just learned to live with it - knowing it's there is half the battle so you don't rely on making any sudden moves. I guess it does help prevent me from trying to beat yellow lights now.

Also FWIW, I get Consumer Reports magazine and the April issue was best and worst new and used cars. In the "Luxury Compact" category for new cars (Audi A4, BMW 330i, Infinity Q50, etc) the TLX 2.4L and the TLX SH-AWD claimed the bottom two spots on the list. Predicted reliability was "worst". Used 15 and 16 TLX overall reliability was also "worst". I've owned five Acuras and was so disappointed with my TLX. Still happily own a 14 MDX (but intentionally got a 14 to avoid the 9-speed in the 15).

Best of luck to everyone - I don't regret dumping the lease 15 months early for my Lexus even after the new tranny. Damage was done at that point. The IS isn't faster by any stretch, but it's a lot more fun to drive. Cheers -
The following 3 users liked this post by 1Louder:
9SpeedTran (03-31-2017), quantum7 (03-30-2017), someguy11 (10-23-2019)
Old 06-06-2017, 03:47 AM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
way to scare me off guys

I came here because I was strongly considering buying a used 2015 TLX S-AWD. Needless to say, I probably will cross it off the list after reading all the tranny issues. Sounds like there's really no way for me to test drive a used 2015 and look for the gear shifting issues since dealer can apply the software updates that "hides" the issue temporarily but eventually comes back within 500miles or so? Anybody want to convince me go for it anyway?? The price difference between 2015 s-awd advanced I was looking at and 2016 equivalent are pretty substantial. I guess I now know why.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:15 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Ssanai80
I came here because I was strongly considering buying a used 2015 TLX S-AWD. Needless to say, I probably will cross it off the list after reading all the tranny issues. Sounds like there's really no way for me to test drive a used 2015 and look for the gear shifting issues since dealer can apply the software updates that "hides" the issue temporarily but eventually comes back within 500miles or so? Anybody want to convince me go for it anyway?? The price difference between 2015 s-awd advanced I was looking at and 2016 equivalent are pretty substantial. I guess I now know why.
I have a 2015 SH-AWD and had the transmission replaced in Feb 2016. I've not had any issues since replacement. I can understand a reluctance to buy a 2015, but if the price is right and the issues have been fixed, you should be fine.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
That should not deter you. I had the the software updates applied twice and was still able to detect the rough shift points right after. The tranny has subsequently been replaced and all is good. Do the test drive and if it is not to you liking tell them that you will consider purchasing if they replace the tranny. Even if it feels fine and the problem starts later you can get the tranny replaced.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:17 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Quandry
That should not deter you. I had the the software updates applied twice and was still able to detect the rough shift points right after. The tranny has subsequently been replaced and all is good. Do the test drive and if it is not to you liking tell them that you will consider purchasing if they replace the tranny. Even if it feels fine and the problem starts later you can get the tranny replaced.
My tranny was replaced on my 2015 and it's been great. I have been watching for the symptoms that all complain about, but I have none. I really like the car.

What is the build date on the car you are considering?
Old 06-06-2017, 08:54 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Robs252
My tranny was replaced on my 2015 and it's been great. I have been watching for the symptoms that all complain about, but I have none. I really like the car.

What is the build date on the car you are considering?
Two I'm looking at has build dates of 08/14 and 10/14. Is there a cut-off of when the 2015 tranny was "fixed"?
Old 06-06-2017, 09:01 AM

Keep in mind Acrua has sold tens of thousands of 2015 TLXs so it stands to reason that most people don't even notice the issue. But once I noticed it, I noticed it every single shift and it drove me crazy. But everyone is different. I'm a tad OCD - more compulsive than obsessive - so an issue like that is not a good fit for me because I can't let it go once I know it's there.

I would HIGHLY recommend arranging an extended test drive - overnight and definitely commute with it. I'd also demand to know when the last idle relearn was performed, so you know whether or not you're in that "honeymoon" period. Just see if it's anything that bothers you. Because it's a true statement that because of the issue you'll likely get a good deal on one.

All that said, my service manager is dumping his at the end of his lease and I have zero regrets moving on. I think people who are familiar with this issue would just avoid the car. Because the risk you take is 3000 miles into owning it you realize it IS an issue to you, and then you're stuck with a car that's not exactly holding its value very well. Consumer Reports is hammering it, and folks are aware.

If I could go back in time I would have spent a lot more time investigating the Lexus IS and Audi A4. Both have AWD options and both have strong reviews as used cars.
pyrodan007 (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 09:08 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Look at the TSB's by Model year sticky. Various serial numbers get different softwares and/or new transmission. I have a 2015 TLX AWD Advance (Feb 2016 build 5999) and only had 2 software updates. No hard shifting issues ever. Keep in mind the transmission is designed a bit differently. There are youtube videos on the teardown but there is a dog clutch with shifts in 2-3 and I believe 7-8 that has a more firm transition but that is by design. Now in practice, I barely notice the shift difference between say 1-2 of 5-6 vs. 2-3. Unless I'm looking for it I don't notice it. My Acura dealer has ben very good about applying updates or other TSB issues. (I had the fuel pump replaced due to a TSB - didn't hear the chirp until out of the car and I thought it was a belt that needed adjusting). I have 15k and it seems to be getting better with age as things break in. No road vibrations but it did take 2 rebalancings to fix (I have 19" wheels - Continental Extreme Contact DWS 245/40R19. There current equivalent tire the the DWS "06". No balancing of the driveshaft needed. The AWD corners GREAT!
Old 06-06-2017, 09:09 AM

Two I'm looking at has build dates of 08/14 and 10/14. Is there a cut-off of when the 2015 tranny was "fixed"?
I don't believe anyone knows for sure - Acura is very tight lipped about it. But as of June 16 when I had mine replaced, I do not believe they were putting those in the production cars just yet. I got a new tranny maybe 45-60 days after it became available, so Acura really didn't have a fix until maybe April/May 16. They'd put some miles on it before cutting into the production line.

I strongly suspect cars built before June 16 are going to have the old transmission (but I could be off). The 2014 builds absolutely will.
Ssanai80 (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 09:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Mine's a 10/14 build and it does have the bad transmission. May I ask what's the price difference between a 15 and a 16 model? Even if it's a few thousand I think it's very worth it. Remember it's cheaper for a reason, and will be even cheaper to resale it in the future. Now if you're planning to keep it until the end, it's a non-issue.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:55 AM
9th Gear

Mine's a 10/14 build and it does have the bad transmission. May I ask what's the price difference between a 15 and a 16 model? Even if it's a few thousand I think it's very worth it. Remember it's cheaper for a reason, and will be even cheaper to resale it in the future. Now if you're planning to keep it until the end, it's a non-issue.
The price difference seems to be about 5k between 2015 and 2016. It was enough to sway me towards 2015, but glad I came here to check. I'm now leaning towards 2016s.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:03 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
If you have a 10/14 build then the VIN is probably in the range for a replacement. Mine was 11/14 and it was in the range.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:34 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
1) Don't count on software fixes fixing the issue. They may, they may not. There are people who bought late-2015 TLX's on here that had shifting issues and others that didn't. Others had shifting problems go away after software fixes or at least became bearable (like me) but still have shifting issues.
2) Your best shot is that the car had a transmission replacement, but, if it hasn't had the transmission replaced, there is no guarantee you will get a transmission replacement no matter when the build date is. I bought my car in 8/14 and could not get a transmission replacement -- I just got the runaround. Whatever you do, don't buy the car with the promise that they'll replace the transmission after you've bought it or something. lol.
3) Just because the car drives well on your test drive means nothing. As you've read several people have had software patches applied only to have the car's behavior eventually revert. I must admit that with the latest patch(es), the transmission has stayed "bearable-but-flaky".
Old 06-07-2017, 11:20 AM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
I have found that it also depends on how you drive the car. My early 2015 will shift just fine if: 1) I accelerate rapidly from the start. or 2) I gingerly start up until it has made its second shift. But If I drive "normally" then I will get a small kick on the second shift. I might not even remark on this if I had not experienced the original shifting issues. I do know that the kick is not much different from what I experienced on all the shifts of the 2015 MDX 6 speed I drove for a week while the dealer was dealing with this issue. (That time they cleared and re-flashed the firmware. Since then the shift has been "acceptable." I was told that it was not eligible for the replacement.)

At any rate, from the TLX TSBs, if the VIN is 19UUB2…FA021489 and later for the 2WD or 19UUB3…FA007728 and later AWD you have the new transmission. (TSB 16-012)
Old 06-07-2017, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by sbillard
I have found that it also depends on how you drive the car. My early 2015 will shift just fine if: 1) I accelerate rapidly from the start. or 2) I gingerly start up until it has made its second shift. But If I drive "normally" then I will get a small kick on the second shift. I might not even remark on this if I had not experienced the original shifting issues. I do know that the kick is not much different from what I experienced on all the shifts of the 2015 MDX 6 speed I drove for a week while the dealer was dealing with this issue. (That time they cleared and re-flashed the firmware. Since then the shift has been "acceptable." I was told that it was not eligible for the replacement.)

At any rate, from the TLX TSBs, if the VIN is 19UUB2…FA021489 and later for the 2WD or 19UUB3…FA007728 and later AWD you have the new transmission. (TSB 16-012)
When I was isolating the "bump" in the 1-2 and 2-3 shift in my car, it was only detectable when the shift happened between approx. 2K and 3K RPM. Basically "normal" acceleration. Under heavy or very light acceleration, the car would shift above or below those thresholds where the shifts seem to be normal. The worst of it seemed to occur if the shift was in the 2,500 - 3,000 RPM range. Using paddle shifters, the "bump" was 5x more pronounced if you shifted at those points.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
If you have a 10/14 build then the VIN is probably in the range for a replacement. Mine was 11/14 and it was in the range.
Mine has absolutely no recalls since it's a Canadian version. Much better servicing in the USA. At least I got a transmission update at my last oil change (no idea which one though), feels a little better but still annoying to use daily ...
Old 06-07-2017, 03:37 PM
Instructor

Go with Rocketsfan comments. I would only buy an early '15 build if you have documentation that the transmission was replaced by the dealer. With the VIN number any acura dealer can bring up the records that will show the transmission replacement. If that has occurred then you have the same transmission that was used in the '16 and later 9 speed acuras. Great transmission once they got it right. There are alot of '15s that never got the transmission changed but if its still under warranty you can fight to have it changed if you can document problems.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by tmitch2315
Go with Rocketsfan comments. I would only buy an early '15 build if you have documentation that the transmission was replaced by the dealer. With the VIN number any acura dealer can bring up the records that will show the transmission replacement. If that has occurred then you have the same transmission that was used in the '16 and later 9 speed acuras. Great transmission once they got it right. There are alot of '15s that never got the transmission changed but if its still under warranty you can fight to have it changed if you can document problems.
FWIW, given what I had to go through to get mine replaced, I would not waste my time with a 15 that had the original transmission banking on I could get it replaced. It will be a frustrating grind that will take months and may ultimately not result in a replacement. Keep in mind, according to Acura the trannys operate "as designed". Even after I had it done, I paid thousands to break my lease early and get into another car and was happy to do it. That's how frustrating the process is.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:42 PM
9th Gear

This forums has been great and have informed me enough to sway me away from 2015 TLX despite the savings. Thank you all.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ssanai80:
pyrodan007 (06-08-2017), Rocket_man (06-14-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 03:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Has anyone had their tlx shift to N under low speed ?

Quick Reply: 9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3