9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 03:58 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
He's currently shopping for one still. Either a 15 or 16.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by iesu3423
If the issue is so cringe worthy and serious, why is there still not a single video that indicates the problem? It should be easy to see. It would really help.
yeah....everyone is making it up...including those of us who have owned Acuras exclusively since 1988!

If you don't believe a Google search of the problem then I doubt that you will believe a video. Will a single video really convince you?

Last edited by quantum7; 09-21-2015 at 04:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ATXTLX (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 04:17 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7
yeah....everyone is making it up...including those of us who have owned Acuras exclusively since 1988!
That could be the problem. You're set on how typical transmissions worked in your past Acuras.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:20 PM
Advanced

A single video could easily show the problem, if it's really so serious.

I've test driven 7 different tlxes and never experienced any issue, and I tried carefully in the last few after reading posts here. With that said, I don't have expectations it should shift like Acuras of the past and my last cars have all been rental, where I adjust to however the cars transmission works.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
If the issue is so cringe worthy and serious, why is there still not a single video that indicates the problem? It should be easy to see. It would really help.
Come to Sugar Land TX, I'll take you for a spin in my car. You won't need but a few seconds 0-20 and you'll feel it, not that we have to prove it you.

The fact that I've had many contacts with ACR, recorded and acknowledged by my dealership as well as contact with an attorney is plenty.

Or.. is this a conspiracy brought about by Acura's competition.. Do I, in fact, actually own a Q50S AWD and feel the need to rant about a made-up issue on here? Could it be?

(no disrespect actual Q50S owners intended at all. You do have a great car though I enjoy ruffling your feathers at times )
quantum7 (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 04:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
That could be the problem. You're set on how typical transmissions worked in your past Acuras.
If you want to settle for a transmission that lunges unexpectedly or has poor shift quality then that is your choice. The fact that every other car company can make a transmission that is smooth should be evidence that it can be done.

I personally find your implication insulting that I don't know what a dog clutch should behave like...I read the article and watch Alex long ago. I have driven at least 10 different TLX models for several long test drives, including loaners for multiple days. Some were very smooth and totally what I would expect from Acura. Some however were very consistent with what many current TLX owners have reported as unacceptable.

To disregard all of the complaints of the TLX ZF 9 speed since you personally have never experienced a problem is narrow-minded.

btw, Acura has issued TSBs addressing this acknowledged problem......only when they can't finally get a solution do they call it "normal"

Last edited by quantum7; 09-21-2015 at 04:51 PM.
2011TL (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 05:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
A single video could easily show the problem, if it's really so serious.

I've test driven 7 different tlxes and never experienced any issue, and I tried carefully in the last few after reading posts here. With that said, I don't have expectations it should shift like Acuras of the past and my last cars have all been rental, where I adjust to however the cars transmission works.
Whats up with you and that video? You work for Acura?
Old 09-21-2015, 05:51 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by dzionny_dzionassi
Whats up with you and that video? You work for Acura?
LOL. That was my though exactly...
Old 09-21-2015, 05:56 PM
Instructor

After you visit Sugar Land, come a little further south to Austin, and you can drive mine then.

I have also driven about 8 different loaner TLXs. They all drove differently. Two were pretty darn near perfect. Out of all, unfortunately the one I own is the worst.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ATXTLX
LOL. That was my though exactly...
Given the amount of posts on this in here, I'd expect someone to have made at least one video, especially given that the goal was to raise attention from Acura.

If a video clearly showed the issue, it could easily spread onto many auto sites and deter people from buying the car. That would certainly bring serious action that you guys seem to want.

Just looking at these issues logically, it seems very strange. Like I said, there are almost identical complaints about the 8 DCT as the 9 ZF. And some people say the issue is apparent right away--others say only after many miles. Some people talk about down shifting where the car goes into neutral and seems to look for a gear and other issues that sound more like dog clutch issues.

If you look at car forums for other cars, transmission complaints are often just as, if not more, rampant. It just seems like a really picky area for people.

So yes, I think it would be really helpful to see videos or anything else that could help potential buyers and others really evaluate what's going on.

Last edited by iesu3423; 09-21-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Given the amount of posts on this in here, I'd expect someone to have made at least one video, especially given that the goal was to raise attention from Acura.

If a video clearly showed the issue, it could easily spread onto many auto sites and deter people from buying the car. That would certainly bring serious action that you guys seem to want.

Just looking at these issues logically, it seems very strange. Like I said, there are almost identical complaints about the 8 DCT as the 9 ZF. And some people say the issue is apparent right away--others say only after many miles. Some people talk about down shifting where the car goes into neutral and seems to look for a gear and other issues that sound more like dog clutch issues.

If you look at car forums for other cars, transmission complaints are often just as, if not more, rampant. It just seems like a really picky area for people.

So yes, I think it would be really helpful to see videos or anything else that could help potential buyers and others really evaluate what's going on.
So, our words aren't enough to explain the issue.. *gives up and walks away*
Old 09-21-2015, 08:19 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
All this is ironic. If you did not like the way the car drove, why did you buy it?

I have had 2 Harleys in the past 5 years. Currently ride a Goldwing Valkyrie. Stop by Harley to test ride the new slim S with the 110 motor. It shook at speed, was slow and shifted klunky. Simple, I did not buy it. I did not try to change the design because I became accustomed to smooth, quiet and powerful motor and trans of the GW.

I work for an Acura dealership that sells ~ 1,000 vehicles per year. The same trans is in the MDX too, so majority of new Acura sales are the 9 speed between the 2 models. I have had 1 (one) complaint on the 9 speed.

The 9 speed trans is great. I drive a V6 TLX with no complaints. Sure it felt different from my TSX the first few days. I don't notice anything now. Also, we have not had 1 problem with the trans.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
So, our words aren't enough to explain the issue.. *gives up and walks away*
A trawler line with multiple hooks was strung out. You came close to getting hooked, but freed yourself at the last moment!
Old 09-21-2015, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by joflewbyu2
All this is ironic. If you did not like the way the car drove, why did you buy it?

I have had 2 Harleys in the past 5 years. Currently ride a Goldwing Valkyrie. Stop by Harley to test ride the new slim S with the 110 motor. It shook at speed, was slow and shifted klunky. Simple, I did not buy it. I did not try to change the design because I became accustomed to smooth, quiet and powerful motor and trans of the GW.

I work for an Acura dealership that sells ~ 1,000 vehicles per year. The same trans is in the MDX too, so majority of new Acura sales are the 9 speed between the 2 models. I have had 1 (one) complaint on the 9 speed.

The 9 speed trans is great. I drive a V6 TLX with no complaints. Sure it felt different from my TSX the first few days. I don't notice anything now. Also, we have not had 1 problem with the trans.
I see this as an absolute lie. I had my car into my Acura dealership almost every month, since February. Everytime I was in, I was told that they had never heard of this problem before. While I was in the dealership, I came across another TLX driver that had their car in for the same issue. This "no complaints" BS coming from Acura has got to stop. Car Complaints.com / NHTSA / Edmonds / Facebook... there are plenty of upset people that have gone far enough to complain online. Imagine the countless that have not, just because Acura and "Client Care" (again... BS) has brainwashed them that this is a "normal behaving transmission."

Of course you work for Acura. Of course you are trying to convince us this is all in our heads. This thread has been alive since October 2014. The transmission is still a POS.

True, I bet there are many, many perfectly functioning transmissions. I have driven several of them. I drove a 2016 MDX. Again, great transmission performance. My car and countless others.. Crap transmission. Lawyers are involved with many buyers. This will get fixed one way or another.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Also, when I test drove the TLX, I drove a 4 cylinder, that I did not buy because of the reverse to drive clunk. I tested a V6 that was PERFECT. Transmission was amazing.

My car had 4 miles on it when I took it home. My salesman told me it was brand new (still had plastic on it) but it drove just like the other one. I wouldn't have known any different though. The transmission issues did not show up for about 5 or 6 days. There would have been no way to tell on a brand new car.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:32 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
No need to raise attention from Acura. If there are no issues, then what exactly is Acura trying to fix with with these TSB's? :

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B15-038.PDF
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B15-040.PDF

What would the video do? They've already acknowledged the issue by attempting a fix. They've already acknowledged an issue when the service rep told me "that's just the way the transmission is".... although I still have no idea why you'd try to fix something "that's just the way [it] is".

Yes, let's look at it logically. I've shown you above attempts to fix the hard shifting in the 9-speed. Here is an attempt to fix a similar issue in lower gears with the 4-cylinder :

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B15-021.PDF

For something "that's just the way it is", Acura sure seems to be trying to fix it. Please Acura, don't fix "what ain't broke!"

The video won't let you feel what's going on where every gear almost is a smooth shift and one or two shifts in between you feel a "thud". Nor does this "thud" happen every time. Besides, if there are no issues, then buy the car. If you believe Acura is updating their shift logic and releasing TSB's specifically for the shifting anomalies because they're bored, you have nothing to worry about.

Last edited by Rocketsfan; 09-21-2015 at 09:35 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rocketsfan:
1Louder (09-22-2015), a35tl (09-23-2015), ATXTLX (09-21-2015), Stew4HD (09-22-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 09:36 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I don't own a TLX, only test driven a few V6's one some short test drives. Yes the transmission shifts very differently from a traditional 5 or 6 speed. That is probably all most of us have ever driven. However I do believe there are issues with the way this transmissions shifts. The multiple TSBs on the 9ZF show that not only is there a problem that Acura and ZF is trying to fix, but it also shows the most frustrating thing for everyone, that it is so variably that a fix is hard to find. On top of this I think there was even an article on the issue where they talk about trying to fix the software but that Americans seem to expect their transmissions to be smoother than Europeans (which I don't believe).

I parked next to a new TLX a few weeks ago and the new owner happened to walk up to the car. I asked him how it drove and if he felt any odd shifting. He did mention the transmission shifted rough sometimes but it didn't seem to bother him. He didn't take it to the dealer. He did say he loved the car.

There are two things that make this a hard problem... one is how each car seems to be so variable from another. Some have no issue, some have minor, some have major. Some seems fixed by software that others are not. Some made worse.

And some don't develop a problem until a few hundred or more miles.

Some happens worse in different IDS modes or different driving styles.

All I know is that it is the only reason why I don't have this car. Even if I test drive this car and it is okay, there doesn't seem to be any guarantee that it will be that way 500 miles from now. As I said in an earlier post, if Acura would give me an 8 year 100,000 mile warranty on the transmission it would relieve a lot of my reservations. But they won't..... because they can't afford the future liability??? I don't know. They want me to take the liability. I already had one Honda transmission go out on me in the 90's and they did not do anything about it I don't want to repeat that.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:38 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by accord1999
To be fair, the FCA manufactured 9-speed has been much more problematic than the ZF. Reading through the Cherokee forums, you'll find numerous stalls, outright failures and overheating issues plus manufacturing defects in a number of transmissions that required disabling downshifts from 3->2 to protect internal components.
This is true. They've been having issues with that transmission since the beginning. I remember posting in the main forum about how I was worried about what Fiat was going through with the software updates in their vehicles.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:21 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have this issue and am working to find out any commonalities I can between build dates, models as well as if any of the TSBs (15-038 & 15-040 v1 & v2) have had any effect. To this end I have created a very short survey on Survey Monkey, the link is below:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZT59YTN

This is not anything official, but want to see if there is anything in common. I plan on sharing results here as well as with Acura if we can get enough results.
iesu3423 (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 02:53 AM
Advanced

Also, when I test drove the TLX, I drove a 4 cylinder, that I did not buy because of the reverse to drive clunk. I tested a V6 that was PERFECT. Transmission was amazing.

My car had 4 miles on it when I took it home. My salesman told me it was brand new (still had plastic on it) but it drove just like the other one. I wouldn't have known any different though. The transmission issues did not show up for about 5 or 6 days. There would have been no way to tell on a brand new car.
Isn't the "reverse to drive clunk" just a feature of DCT?
Old 09-22-2015, 03:12 AM
Advanced

Some people have said it takes 500 miles. Others have said they could feel the issue during test drives. You're saying 5-6 days. Some say it starts only after TSB updates. Half the complaints have to do with an entirely different transmission.

I'm not saying there aren't real things people are feeling, but it seems like a lot of it is mishmashed. It seems possible that there are all kinds of different things people are feeling, yet it somehow gets blurred into one problem and the 9 speed ZF transmission supposedly being defective.

And of course, many, many people report no problems whatsoever.

That poll is a great idea and so is recording videos. That's the sort of thing that can help Acura and owners.

If somethings pops up after 5-6 days, my suspicion would be with the learning procedure.

FWIW, I've also tried used TLXes and some with ~50-100 miles on them. I never noticed anything.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:52 AM
Advanced

regarding this: http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B15-040.PDF

2015 TLX V6 SH-AWD 19UUB3…FA000001 to 19UUB3…FA022024

Why does the VIN range go to 22,024? The most recent produced ones I've seen are at 10,300.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Damn, you caught us lying and making up stuff.. damn, damn, damn

/endsarc
Old 09-22-2015, 06:38 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I drove 3 vehicles with the 9AT: 2 TLXs and 1 MDX

The first TLX shifted about what I expected...a bit laggy but nothing horrible. Coming from a G37 with a 7AT I have an idea of what the lag would be, but it was a bit worse (I attributed it to extra gears)

The second TLX was a loaner from our dealer....we were originally intending on purchasing one so I got one for a weekend. The car had about 150 miles on it when we picked it up. And it shifted *completely* differently than the first one. Downshifts felt like they took forever, everytime I leaned into the throttle it felt like the car was driving itself out of mud. Upshifts were smooth, but when I end up in 6th gear at 35mph, I dont care how smooth they are....I didnt want them to happen at all! Came away very disappointed, especially a car so new like that.

And no, this was not a "dog clutch" thing....please keep in mind the dog clutches only engage in 5th and higher AFAIK. That means a harsh 1-2 or 2-3 (or backwards) shift should have nothing to do with the dogs.

The MDX we drove for about 20 minutes and oddly enough, I felt like it shifted like every other automatic Ive driven. Would it stay that way I dont know, but I was surprised at how "transparent" it was. I know the final gear ratio in that 9AT is different, and obviously the vehicle dynamics are VERY different, maybe that has something to do with why it works better.

And a video wouldnt really catch what people are seeing/feeling. If I was videoing my test drive you wouldnt be able to tell the delay when I tronched on the pedal and when the car actually started to accelerate like it should unless I had multiple cameras, etc.

I made sure to tell the salesman at our dealer about it....he nodded and said thanks anyway. When the guy trying to sell me something acts like that, it means he knows its an issue and has heard of it before.
Stew4HD (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 08:24 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Isn't the "reverse to drive clunk" just a feature of DCT?
No, mine (and 1000's of others) doesn't have it. And I believe there's a TSB for those that do have it.

It appears that the DCT is getting sorted out pretty well.

Last edited by wlkeel; 09-22-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:49 AM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
So Acura has acknowledged the issue in a OnePack video, many consumers have complained about it, the automotive press has documented it, and Acura has released at least two TSBs mentioning the issue yet some genius says we don't understand dog clutches or are making it up and that we need a video? First, the 2-3 shift is accomplished by friction clutches. Second, I'd LOVE not to be here reporting issues or looking for solutions to an undesirable behavior in my $40k car, so no, we're not making it up. Further, why doesn't the MDX with the same trans. do it? We could get into a bloody Hyundai Elantra and get better shift quality. It's not acceptable.

Last edited by jeich182; 09-22-2015 at 11:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jeich182:
1Louder (09-22-2015), Stew4HD (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 12:21 PM
Racer

The MDX has one different part, IIRC, and the programming is just different (you can't expect the same ratios for different classes of vehicles). That being said, we had a Canadian member just receive the TLX software yesterday, says it feels different now. Will keep watch.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:29 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by jeich182
So Acura has acknowledged the issue in a OnePack video, many consumers have complained about it, the automotive press has documented it, and Acura has released at least two TSBs mentioning the issue yet some genius says we don't understand dog clutches or are making it up and that we need a video? First, the 2-3 shift is accomplished by friction clutches. Second, I'd LOVE not to be here reporting issues or looking for solutions to an undesirable behavior in my $40k car, so no, we're not making it up. Further, why doesn't the MDX with the same trans. do it? We could get into a bloody Hyundai Elantra and get better shift quality. It's not acceptable.
This hits everything I was going to say.

This 2-3 shift issue is NOT "just the behavior of this 9-speed". The delay and severity of this shift would be unacceptable in a 1990 base model Integra, never mind my $40K+ (supposedly) performance luxury sedan. I paid too much money for the car to bounce my head against the head rest every time I shift from 2 to 3 - which is exactly what happens.

I'm not saying there aren't real things people are feeling, but it seems like a lot of it is mishmashed. It seems possible that there are all kinds of different things people are feeling, yet it somehow gets blurred into one problem and the 9 speed ZF transmission supposedly being defective.

And of course, many, many people report no problems whatsoever.
Well, you kind of are saying it's not real, and it's really frustrating to those of us who drive this car every day. I log 2 hrs a day in this car and I can say with confidence there is an issue here. Never mind the dangerous delays in downshifting that we haven't talked about.

Also you can also see from the posts that results do vary, and it may have a lot to do with how the transmission learns or other things we haven't figured out yet. And I don't believe the transmission is defective, I believe it was poorly designed. Or the software was poorly implemented.

Also, I'm the one guy here (so far) who's transmission has failed already (specifically the transmission control model). So I'm not exactly a fan of this transmission - the image of my new $44K car being towed to the dealership after 6,000 miles is still fresh in my mind.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1Louder:
quantum7 (09-22-2015), Stew4HD (09-23-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 04:46 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me, after the updates and re-learn and driving it for about 800 miles thereafter, 1-2 is better and 2-3 still makes me cringe but only when the car changes at around 2000 RPM. I know most people don't want to put the pedal to the metal in order to remedy the issue, but making the car progress through 1-4 at 3000 rpm isn't too bad imo (in sport mode). Give it a try and see how it feels.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:15 AM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
You're overlooking the fact that the only people upset are a small group, that the car has been very successful, that all professional reviews note no issue, etc.

Transmission Makes Abrupt Upshifts - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test
Old 09-23-2015, 07:06 AM
Suzuka Master

I have to apologize to everyone experiencing this shifting issue. It's my fault you are having this problem. Yep, I admit that lowering my car caused this for everyone else.

I had no idea that I had that kind of power but hey, I learned something new today! Lowering my car not only caused everyone else's V6 9ZF to act differently but by lowering my car, I mutilated it and now my transmission has to work harder, causing more heat and, therefore, makes the 2-3 shift be harsh.

I am very sorry guys. I'll will take my car in to have the original wheels and tires refitted and put the stock springs back on... the guilt I feel is too heavy....
ATXTLX (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 07:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by stew4hd
i have to apologize to everyone experiencing this shifting issue. It's my fault you are having this problem. Yep, i admit that lowering my car caused this for everyone else.

I had no idea that i had that kind of power but hey, i learned something new today! Lowering my car not only caused everyone else's v6 9zf to act differently but by lowering my car, i mutilated it and now my transmission has to work harder, causing more heat and, therefore, makes the 2-3 shift be harsh.

I am very sorry guys. I'll will take my car in to have the original wheels and tires refitted and put the stock springs back on... The guilt i feel is too heavy....
lol.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:25 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Sometimes it seems like the transmission holds second gear a split second longer than it should, then realizes it should have shifted and quickly and abruptly upshifts to third gear. I have no idea what the actual mechanical situation is, but that's what it seems like to the driver.

This situation is most noticeable when the engine is cold. But I've been paying close attention to our TLX's shifting the past couple days and the two-three upshift is never as smooth as other gear shifts, even when the powertrain is warmed up.
Wow - could be a direct quote from any number of posts in this thread.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I have to apologize to everyone experiencing this shifting issue. It's my fault you are having this problem. Yep, I admit that lowering my car caused this for everyone else.
Seriously? It worse than that. You do not actually have a TLX, and wish that you did (TLX envy). Your software modeling and simulation activities of the car you wish you had contracted a virus. It was then transmitted those owners who do not practice safe driving and caused their problem. All the trolls and sales reps from other car companies heard about it and came here to post bogus reports.

A software fix is in the works works works wreaks week.
Stew4HD (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 12:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Quandry
Seriously? It worse than that. You do not actually have a TLX, and wish that you did (TLX envy). Your software modeling and simulation activities of the car you wish you had contracted a virus. It was then transmitted those owners who do not practice safe driving and caused their problem. All the trolls and sales reps from other car companies heard about it and came here to post bogus reports.

A software fix is in the works works works wreaks week.
Ah! So it goes that deep? This is no conspiracy!

"In a little while from now
If I'm not feeling any less sour
I promise myself to treat myself
And visit a nearby tower
And climbing to the top will throw myself off..."
Old 09-23-2015, 06:07 PM
Racer

I'm going to have to 5150 you guys...
Stew4HD (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 08:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neoshi
I'm going to have to 5150 you guys...
I had to look that up to see what it meant.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:44 AM
Advanced

For those of you who don't like the supposed "slow upshifting":

The TLX Drive-by-Wire™ throttle system replaces a conventional throttle cable with smart electronics that "connect" the accelerator pedal to a throttle valve inside the throttle-body. The result is less under-hood clutter and lower weight, as well as quicker and more accurate throttle actuation. Plus, a specially programmed "gain" rate between the throttle pedal and engine offers improved drivability and optimized engine response to suit specific driving conditions.

Acura's Drive-by-Wire throttle system establishes the current driving conditions by monitoring throttle pedal position, throttle valve position, engine speed (rpm) and road speed. This information is used to define the throttle control sensitivity that gives the TLX's throttle pedal a predictable and responsive feel that meets driver expectations.

Three different throttle profiles are available in the TLX. When the Integrated Dynamics System (IDS) is in the ECON mode, the system uses a gradual profile that encourages fuel savings. In Normal mode, the throttle profile balances economy and performance for all-around driving. When the Sport or Sport+ mode is selected, the system switches to a more aggressive throttle map to enhance responsiveness.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1Louder
Wow - could be a direct quote from any number of posts in this thread.
Yeah, I really appreciated reading that article. The problem for the people in this thread is at the bottom, after recognizing and experiencing the issue, and even saying that it was a consistent issue, the author said:

"Neither issue is pressing. But if this were my TLX, I'd probably mention this abrupt upshift to my dealer on the next service just to see what came of it."

That pretty much destroys everything that's been said here. The people here say the transmission is a "POS," want to return the car, etc., etc.

If a professional reviewer, someone who obviously is an expert in all sorts of cars, basically recognizes the issue completely but then goes ahead and says "neither issue is pressing," that's a big problem for those who argue the car/transmission/etc. are defective and are launching class actions.

The article supports the point I've been making. This isn't a defect. The car uses complex software for a number of things, and perhaps, as the TSB noted, the software is not perfectly calibrated in the sense that in some driving situations, some drivers (because it learns your style) will experience harder THAN EXPECTED upshifts. It may be that with the nature of the car, transmission, and the software, there is no ideal setting such that the performance matches up perfectly with every driver's expectations.

Things should be put in perspective. The transmission has a ton of upside, and this is not a recall-worthy issue, like the transmission being in D when you set it to P. This is basically people upset that a much more advanced 9 speed transmission with many positive features also is a bit different and has some issues, especially for those expecting the smooth performance of a traditional Honda 6 speed that they have been accustomed to after 10 years.

The reality is, as I noted, that you can go back to the day Honda announced the 9 speed, and many people in this forum immediately said the transmission was going to be faulty, problematic, "how can Honda do this!," etc. That was well before anyone had tried it out. People here were primed to find issues. On top of that, this forum is 90% 15-year Acura owners complaining about how "my TSX, my TL" had _________ and the TLX IS WORSE! Acura was trying to draw in a huge new crowd with the TLX, and they succeeded sales-wise. The goal isn't to satisfy impossible-to-satisfy past owners and include everything they've loved but get rid of everything someone complained about.

If there's a serious defect, recall-worthy, truly "hate my car"-worthy issue, then that should be promptly addressed, and it warrants a high level of concern. Nothing in the posts suggests that. IF you guys want to go that direction, you should make videos that show the problem. Even 4-5 videos that all illustrate the same problem could easily spread through press and require more of a response than a couple TSBs.

I think some of you guys have really obsessed about the problem, and then you can't even enjoy the car, because you're just sitting there waiting to feel the hard upshift. Plenty of other people probably have a similar "problem" and don't lose sleep over it and still really enjoy the car.

And we should still separate issues from car features that were more than apparent on any test drive (like the way the throttle works).

Last edited by iesu3423; 09-24-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:16 AM
Advanced

Also, see this response to that article:

"The TLX is using the 9-speed ZF 9HP48 transaxle that is a member of the 9HP family currently used in FCA, Honda and Land Rover applications. It's an extremely compact design and uses a lot of friction braking, friction clutches and dog clutches to control routing of torque through the four planetary gearsets.

http://www.zf.com/media/media/en/doc...ochure_9hp.pdf

When saying that the 2-3 shift isn't smooth, are you checking to see if that's the actual 2nd to 3rd gear or just the 2nd and 3rd shift from a normal stop? If you're driving easy and Honda/ZF have it programmed to start in a higher gear you'll experience a slight delay in shift as the transmission controller brakes and times the engagement of the dog clutch that engages between or passing through the 4-5 gears (also between 7-8), at which time there's also heavier torque management to keep input torque down.

For the other gear changes it uses the normal clutch-to-clutch shifts of the planetary gearsets which happen almost instantly, but due to having to switch between the planetary gearset (there are four, two main that each have another nested planetary gearset inside them) and use of dog clutches (which are essentially on-off only by design and can't be slipped like a friction clutch) it takes more time to engage.

From a technical standpoint there's nothing wrong with this design and it allows ZF to cram a lot of ratios in a very small transverse application. They could probably get just as wide an overall ratio spread with less gears but the extra gear count allows the automaker to use the design and tailor shifts and gears ratios to better match up with engine torque characteristics for better economy.

Down side is that the transmission behaves "different" than what people are expecting and not every gear change will feel the same. Chrysler has had a lot of teething issues and I'm guessing the updates to the transmission calibrations have been a combination of improvements ZF is making to the timing of the dog clutch engagement along with the automaker trying to mask this somewhat by altering torque management (output) of the engine calibration during shifts and better predictive timing of shifts under changing vehicle loads.

It is logical to an engineer and the operation would make perfect sense but try explaining it to an average consumer that only knows something is different or doesn't feel right on some shifts compared to others. If ZF and the automakers can't get the complex powertrain controller calibrations refined enough to mask the operating characteristics I expect this family of transaxles will be short lived."

Quick Reply: 9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3