9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 08:12 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by le^2
Soooooo.... just got a call from the service advisor where I took my car into to get TSBs 38+40 looked at. They said the 2-3 hard shift if normal and nothing they can do about it, even though it's documented in the American TSBs. "Cannot" apply american tsb fix due to canadian car. Told me to come pick up whenever I want.... this is balls. Is there a canadian version of the Acura client care?
If it's any consolation the SBs don't fix anything. You aren't missing anything, and more likely are better off.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:18 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by neoshi
That is Acura in general... anywhere.
Just sucks I had to take the car in and leave it there for 2 nights. only to get a phone call telling me they tested with a demo car and it does the same, american tsb doesn't apply - won't do anything further.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
I am not trying to raise your frustration level, but have a read of the posts in the link below. Try calling the service department to see if the K95 update applies to you VIN.

9ZF Update - Canada - Acura TLX Forum
Old 09-17-2015, 08:47 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Relief on Transmission from dealer

I took my new TLX in to the dealer this week for oil change and asked them to look at the 9-speed transmission for the hard shifting between 2-3 and slow gear change from park. They indicated that nothing was wrong and they couldn't do anything since Acura had not released a bulletin on it. They did indicate that Acura is working an update for the 9-speed similar to what they did for the 8-speed. Not sure when or if it will actually help. Guess I will continue to ask them about it every time I get an oil change.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:20 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Had the same issues with the 2-3 shifts in D. Had my first service and the 15-040 TSB performed. The shifts got extremely better but not totally smooth. They also said my tranny would have to re-learn.

Fast forward to a post 1700 mi road trip.

The tranny is shifting almost like slicing butter left out overnight during the summer with a warm knife. I don;t feel anything in 1-2 or 2-3 in D. In Sport/Sport+ there is definitely more of a lunging shift as it wants higher revs and more aggressive shifting.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nascart
Had the same issues with the 2-3 shifts in D. Had my first service and the 15-040 TSB performed. The shifts got extremely better but not totally smooth. They also said my tranny would have to re-learn.

Fast forward to a post 1700 mi road trip.

The tranny is shifting almost like slicing butter left out overnight during the summer with a warm knife. I don;t feel anything in 1-2 or 2-3 in D. In Sport/Sport+ there is definitely more of a lunging shift as it wants higher revs and more aggressive shifting.
Interesting, I'll have to try driving in Normal mode to see if it's smooth for me from 1-3. I currently drive in Sport mode and the shifts from 1-3 aren't as bad before I did the update and re-learn. Will report back in a few days!
Old 09-18-2015, 03:35 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts
Article regarding CEO of Fiat / Chrysler on ZF 9 Speed transmission. See towards bottom.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...ightening-regs

The other major powertrain issue hanging over FCA has been ongoing performance problems with its nine-speed automatic transmission. The nine-speed, which debuted in the 2014 Jeep Cherokee, had been the source of troubling consumer complaints even as it rolled out in other vehicles. Earlier this month, FCA said it had produced its one-millionth unit of the nine-speed at its massive transmission complex in Kokomo, Ind.
Marchionne said changes have been made to the nine-speed for the 2016 model year that should quiet its critics.
"We've been working our ass off with [designer ZF Friedrichshafen] on the nine speed," he said. "There were some things that were built in as a technical solution that proved to be, in hindsight, unwise, and so the remedial stuff has been put in place."
The following 2 users liked this post by ATXTLX:
2011TL (09-21-2015), Stew4HD (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 08:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by ATXTLX
Article regarding CEO of Fiat / Chrysler on ZF 9 Speed transmission. See towards bottom.

The other major powertrain issue hanging over FCA has been ongoing performance problems with its nine-speed automatic transmission. The nine-speed, which debuted in the 2014 Jeep Cherokee, had been the source of troubling consumer complaints even as it rolled out in other vehicles. Earlier this month, FCA said it had produced its one-millionth unit of the nine-speed at its massive transmission complex in Kokomo, Ind.
Marchionne said changes have been made to the nine-speed for the 2016 model year that should quiet its critics.
"We've been working our ass off with [designer ZF Friedrichshafen] on the nine speed," he said. "There were some things that were built in as a technical solution that proved to be, in hindsight, unwise, and so the remedial stuff has been put in place."
But seems we are stuck with the POS version
Old 09-18-2015, 09:49 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
^ My thought exactly.

You know the more I drive my car, the more the transmission is really the one glaring disappointment in an otherwise near-prefect car. Its a shame. It's like the rest of the car is this wonderful family of really smart and successful people, and the transmission is the crack-addict cousin with no job that everyone wishes would stop showing up at family gatherings. I imagine that the rest of the car hates the fact it's there and wishes it would just get its act together.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:55 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts

So the solution is to buy a transmission from FCA and drop it in the TLX.

Last edited by Rocket_man; 09-19-2015 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 1Louder
^ My thought exactly.

You know the more I drive my car, the more the transmission is really the one glaring disappointment in an otherwise near-prefect car. Its a shame. It's like the rest of the car is this wonderful family of really smart and successful people, and the transmission is the crack-addict cousin with no job that everyone wishes would stop showing up at family gatherings. I imagine that the rest of the car hates the fact it's there and wishes it would just get its act together.
Excellent analogy. If it wasn't for this transmission, I'd LOVE the car but the crack addict is always present in every start from every stop.. If I never had to stop...
Old 09-19-2015, 11:29 AM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Excellent analogy. If it wasn't for this transmission, I'd LOVE the car but the crack addict is always present in every start from every stop.. If I never had to stop...
Ditto
Old 09-19-2015, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
To be fair, the FCA manufactured 9-speed has been much more problematic than the ZF. Reading through the Cherokee forums, you'll find numerous stalls, outright failures and overheating issues plus manufacturing defects in a number of transmissions that required disabling downshifts from 3->2 to protect internal components.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:51 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Soooooo.... just got a call from the service advisor where I took my car into to get TSBs 38+40 looked at. They said the 2-3 hard shift if normal and nothing they can do about it, even though it's documented in the American TSBs. "Cannot" apply american tsb fix due to canadian car. Told me to come pick up whenever I want.... this is balls. Is there a canadian version of the Acura client care?
There is an official update here in Canada now. You can call your dealer or even run your VIN through here...
http://www.acura.ca/recalls
My shows an update, but doesnt say what it is. I called my dealer, gave them the VIN and they verified that there is an update.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:12 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by MTD
There is an official update here in Canada now. You can call your dealer or even run your VIN through here...
Lookup
My shows an update, but doesnt say what it is. I called my dealer, gave them the VIN and they verified that there is an update.
Same thing for my VIN. It doesn't show what it is and it says to call the dealer.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by MTD
Lookup
Nothing for my VIN, manufactured July 2014. Also tried some higher number VINs and nothing for them either.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:50 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

That doesn't say anything about the ZF 9 in Acuras...tuned/programmed differently.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:24 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Wow. There is not a problem with the 9 speed. There is a shifting between 4 to 5 and 7 to 8 that is inherent with dog clutches which were used in the compact design for durability. Just because the public is not familar with this style they complain stating problems. Watch Fiat screw up the trans by putting thin small clutch packs in instead of the dog clutches. There is a reason ZF designed the trans with dog clutches. Remember, this an all new from the ground up 9 speed trans designed and manufactured for transverse front wheel drive vehicles with up to 354 lbs of torque. This is an incredible trans if driven hard. Baby it and you will feel a klunk or two. It shifts 25% quicker than the 6at and weighs 66lbs less.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by joflewbyu2
Wow. There is not a problem with the 9 speed. There is a shifting between 4 to 5 and 7 to 8 that is inherent with dog clutches which were used in the compact design for durability. Just because the public is not familar with this style they complain stating problems. Watch Fiat screw up the trans by putting thin small clutch packs in instead of the dog clutches. There is a reason ZF designed the trans with dog clutches. Remember, this an all new from the ground up 9 speed trans designed and manufactured for transverse front wheel drive vehicles with up to 354 lbs of torque. This is an incredible trans if driven hard. Baby it and you will feel a klunk or two. It shifts 25% quicker than the 6at and weighs 66lbs less.
Well what about with SH-AWD?
Old 09-20-2015, 07:48 PM
Instructor

I am sorry, but that description about does NOT describe my transmission. I know there are dog clutches 4-5 and 7-8. Why does that make 2-3 hesitate and jerk? The shifts are not quick. My 6 speed AT in my 2014 Mazda 6 GT shifted quicker, with no hesitations, and no jerks.

True, the transmission performs much better when driven hard. Unfortunately, I am not a Nascar driver, and my TLX is mainly used for daily commuting to and from work in traffic. Terrible, terrible transmission for that. It is a piece of junk.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:19 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
I will say this as respectfully as I can... Please put the pipe down.

2-3 upshifts jerks the passengers in the car... Slow down, take a right turn and press the gas pedal, let me know what you feel?
Old 09-20-2015, 09:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mojo_79
I will say this as respectfully as I can... Please put the pipe down.

2-3 upshifts jerks the passengers in the car... Slow down, take a right turn and press the gas pedal, let me know what you feel?
In all honesty, objectively the best review is going to be from someone comparing to another 9 speed, not a traditional 6speed.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:47 PM
Advanced

This is in addition to a separate video where this guy goes into depth about the 9 speed ZF transmission. But here he actually goes on the road and demonstrates with the TLX as he speaks. I think what he talks about could cover a huge percentage of the complaints people have had.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by iesu3423

This is in addition to a separate video where this guy goes into depth about the 9 speed ZF transmission. But here he actually goes on the road and demonstrates with the TLX as he speaks. I think what he talks about could cover a huge percentage of the complaints people have had.
In any case, there is no need for an explanation or excuse. BMW, Audi, Benz, etc can make a trans with 8+ gears that shifts buttery smooth. My ZF trans in my 760 gives amazingly smooth shifts at full throttle even after going 0-140+ MPH with no sign of overheating, etc. If this can be done by others, acura should be able to deliver the same.

All customers are asking are for a smoother shift and better comfort. Trying to point the finger at engineering isn't fixing customer concerns. Perhaps better torque converter software or something may help but that's for acura to be working diligently on.

Many understand that this is a first model year, etc etc, but at the end of the day a half developed product shouldn't have been released with these types of customer issues. It turns off many new customers to the brand and damages it's reputation and resale across the brand.
The following 2 users liked this post by csmeance:
1Louder (09-22-2015), quantum7 (09-21-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 11:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by csmeance
In any case, there is no need for an explanation or excuse. BMW, Audi, Benz, etc can make a trans with 8+ gears that shifts buttery smooth. My ZF trans in my 760 gives amazingly smooth shifts at full throttle even after going 0-140+ MPH with no sign of overheating, etc. If this can be done by others, acura should be able to deliver the same.

All customers are asking are for a smoother shift and better comfort. Trying to point the finger at engineering isn't fixing customer concerns. Perhaps better torque converter software or something may help but that's for acura to be working diligently on.

Many understand that this is a first model year, etc etc, but at the end of the day a half developed product shouldn't have been released with these types of customer issues. It turns off many new customers to the brand and damages it's reputation and resale across the brand.
You're overlooking the fact that the only people upset are a small group, that the car has been very successful, that all professional reviews note no issue, etc. You won't be able to find a single car without an incredible amount of complaints on various issues online. It's clear that this was going to be an issue here because months before the car even came out people were talking about how the transmission was going to be faulty and jerky. That's on top of the fact that we see almost identical complaints from dct 8 speed people, which makes no sense.

Can anyone here even reproduce the issue in a YouTube video so there is at least some evidence?

Most of the complaints center around what people expected or what they were used to in other vehicles. They don't talk about comparisons to other tlxes or similar transmissions. That's not really fair.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:01 AM
Advanced

Anyone else also note that the vast majority of people talking about the hard/jerky shift/other issues say that "all" the other gears are smooth as silk? That can't be right. If you're not noticing the dog gear shifts, but you are noticing this supposed 1-2, 2-3 issue, then you're most likely just confusing the two.

Having looked in detail I see many complaints that are situations that could be the car shifting from gear 5 to 2 or 3...people talk about the car "struggling to find a gear," etc. From gear 5 to anything lower=dog clutch.

Last edited by iesu3423; 09-21-2015 at 01:04 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:00 AM
Suzuka Master

^it's not fair to compare this transmission's behavior to other brands? *shrug*
Old 09-21-2015, 07:45 AM
Instructor

Anyone else also note that the vast majority of people talking about the hard/jerky shift/other issues say that "all" the other gears are smooth as silk? That can't be right. If you're not noticing the dog gear shifts, but you are noticing this supposed 1-2, 2-3 issue, then you're most likely just confusing the two.

Having looked in detail I see many complaints that are situations that could be the car shifting from gear 5 to 2 or 3...people talk about the car "struggling to find a gear," etc. From gear 5 to anything lower=dog clutch.
I have driven my car every day, and paid VERY close attention to it, since January 1st when I took it home.

The issue is mainly 2-3. Before the updates, it was 1-2, and 2-3. After the updates, it is still 2-3, and now sometimes 4-5 (the actual dogclutch, yes.) I know what shifts cause problems. I have replicated them with the paddle shifters. I have experienced them in every drive mode, including Sport Plus, which shows me which gear I am in. The 2-3 shift has ALWAYS been a problem, and Acura can't seem to fix it.

This morning, my car decided to have a fit, and every... single... freaking stop in traffic was followed by an awful shift between 2nd and 3rd, and then again between 4th and 5th. I can now hear the clunk between 4th and 5th and feel the car shake.

This transmission will crap out. It changes from week to week on how it performs. When it acts up, it is doing it with more severity.

I am with Stew: If I was not so upside down, I would get away from this thing in a heartbeat.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:56 AM
Advanced

I have driven my car every day, and paid VERY close attention to it, since January 1st when I took it home.

The issue is mainly 2-3. Before the updates, it was 1-2, and 2-3. After the updates, it is still 2-3, and now sometimes 4-5 (the actual dogclutch, yes.) I know what shifts cause problems. I have replicated them with the paddle shifters. I have experienced them in every drive mode, including Sport Plus, which shows me which gear I am in. The 2-3 shift has ALWAYS been a problem, and Acura can't seem to fix it.

This morning, my car decided to have a fit, and every... single... freaking stop in traffic was followed by an awful shift between 2nd and 3rd, and then again between 4th and 5th. I can now hear the clunk between 4th and 5th and feel the car shake.

This transmission will crap out. It changes from week to week on how it performs. When it acts up, it is doing it with more severity.

I am with Stew: If I was not so upside down, I would get away from this thing in a heartbeat.
Please record a video showing what you're talking about. It should be easy to see...
Old 09-21-2015, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Please record a video showing what you're talking about. It should be easy to see...
This thread has been around for almost a year now, with most people that are experiencing the issue showing the exact same symptoms. Sure, I can make a video. Shift jerks and hesitations won't show up on the video, unless I just focus on the tachometer. Also, in the city of Austin it is illegal to even hold a phone and drive at the same time. We are totally hands-free.

You just joined the group. Take an hour or so and read through this thread. There are many like me that have the 2-3 issue for a very long time. The transmission is far from perfect.
The following users liked this post:
quantum7 (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 09:50 AM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
In all honesty, objectively the best review is going to be from someone comparing to another 9 speed, not a traditional 6speed.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say.... The OP was touting the magnificence of this 9-speed, implying that there aren't any issues with it. The OP has no idea what he is talking about.

BTW, since this is the world's first 9 speed auto, how do we compare it with another?

There are 8 upshifts and 7 out of 8 are as smooth as butter and they are also very fast shifts. The lone culprit in my car and many others is the shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. It's very slow, you can hear/feel the shift begin to happen, then after about 1 or 2 seconds 3rd gear engages and the car lunges.

I recently drove the 2016 MDX with the same transmission and it didn't have this problem. The 2-3 upshift was as good as all the other shifts.
The following 2 users liked this post by mojo_79:
ATXTLX (09-21-2015), Stew4HD (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 12:08 PM
Instructor

iesu, do you own a tlx yet? there's a lot to be said when you're reading reviews and watching alex on auto's touting the dog clutch. but until you've driven a tlx for an extended amount of time, you will come to know the infamous 2-3 shift.

yes, there's dog clutches. no - that's not what's being brought up in this discussion. the 2-3 is real, and the struggle is very real with owners experiencing this.
Stew4HD (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 12:23 PM
Suzuka Master

iesu, do you own a tlx yet? there's a lot to be said when you're reading reviews and watching alex on auto's touting the dog clutch. but until you've driven a tlx for an extended amount of time, you will come to know the infamous 2-3 shift.

yes, there's dog clutches. no - that's not what's being brought up in this discussion. the 2-3 is real, and the struggle is very real with owners experiencing this.
Indeed, I actually cringe as I accelerate from a stop. At times, it's a near slam.

FYI, the 2-3 shift was not this pronounced until they tried to "fix" it with updates.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MTD
Lookup
Do you know how long ago this recall came out? I entered my vin and it noted:

"The VIN entered appears not to be working properly.
Check to see if letters and numbers have been accidentally inverted.
Make sure the letter O was not entered in place of the number 0.
Make sure the correct number of characters has been entered. Automobiles have a unique 17 character Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
This site provides information only for automobiles from Honda Canada. If your VIN is not a Canadian VIN, please contact Acura Canada's Client Services at 1-888-9ACURA9 for assistance."

Old 09-21-2015, 12:59 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Jesu3423, please remember you are in enthusiast forum and I'm sure members here are familiar with clutches.

I do feel the dog dog clutch in the other gears.

But I also feel the 2-3 issue. That's why I found your choice of words "supposed" interesting.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
The fact that this thread is 12 pages and almost 500 replies long suggest that it is more than just a minor annoyance to a few drivers or a "supposed" problem.

A quick visit to safecar.gov will show that the TLX has several complaints filed with this problem....also look at Jeep to see even more problems. Not all for this transmission, but not insignificant.

Although I have not purchased a TLX, it is this problem and the "lunge" that I felt during test drive that has kept me from spending significant $ on a significant problem that Acura has yet to address. I agree with csmeance that other companies have figured this out, and if Stew4HD says that there is a problem, then I believe him!

Acura needs to fix this for current owners and put out an otherwise awesome car ASAP. Get a proven ZF 7 or 8 speed into the TLX or just use the 6 speed that worked so well. Hell my 5 speed in my 07 TL has 200,000+ miles and is flawless.
Stew4HD (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 03:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by quantum7
The fact that this thread is 12 pages and almost 500 replies long suggest that it is more than just a minor annoyance to a few drivers or a "supposed" problem.

A quick visit to safecar.gov will show that the TLX has several complaints filed with this problem....also look at Jeep to see even more problems. Not all for this transmission, but not insignificant.

Although I have not purchased a TLX, it is this problem and the "lunge" that I felt during test drive that has kept me from spending significant $ on a significant problem that Acura has yet to address. I agree with csmeance that other companies have figured this out, and if Stew4HD says that there is a problem, then I believe him!

Acura needs to fix this for current owners and put out an otherwise awesome car ASAP. Get a proven ZF 7 or 8 speed into the TLX or just use the 6 speed that worked so well. Hell my 5 speed in my 07 TL has 200,000+ miles and is flawless.
When fanboi's attack!

I tried hard to wish the issue away but that wasn't happening!
Old 09-21-2015, 03:45 PM
Advanced

If the issue is so cringe worthy and serious, why is there still not a single video that indicates the problem? It should be easy to see. It would really help.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:55 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
If the issue is so cringe worthy and serious, why is there still not a single video that indicates the problem? It should be easy to see. It would really help.
Someone already said it quite well that you can try to record it, but you're just going to be staring at a video of the tach. I have a ZF9 MDX and usually get TLX loaners, so I totally understand what these people are complaining about.

I mean I suppose you can try and record the people feeling the jolt, but it'll likely look like uneven road surface reactions.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
iesu3423, I don't think the lack of a video proves or disproves anything.

Anyway, can I ask you this question, do you even have a TLX?

Quick Reply: 9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3