4 Month Old TLX - Weird Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
4 Month Old TLX - Weird Issue

Hello all, I am back after a bit of a break. 4 month old BWP/Espresso V6 TLX with Tech Package. Weird issue started Christmas eve - coming back home after visiting my Mom who lives a mile away. All of a sudden a bunch of sensor alarms started going off (LKAS, Brake System, Hill Assist, VSA). Car was driving fine but the sensors just kept on going one after another. I was two streets down so I decided to drive home and park the car in the garage. Now I know what a Boeing 747 pilot must feel like when flying over the pacific if a bunch of sensor alarms go off (Just kidding!)

Called the dealership first thing this morning and they towed the car to their place.

Here is the weird part - the service tech just called me and told me that the toll tag seemed to be interfering with the LKAS system and is triggering various other related sensors. I told him it didn't make any sense to me as the toll tag was put on the first day when I bought the car 4 months ago. He said that they were trying to figure out the cause of the issue and the moment they removed the toll tag sticker, all the sensor alarms went away. I have no idea how this is even possible?

He told me I have two updates - One for the GPS and one for the radio that they are completing and they will drop the car home today after a car wash.

At least, I have that going for me.....
Old 12-26-2014, 02:29 PM
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 33 Posts
Add this one to the list! 4 months old and 4,500 miles.

Last Sunday night "Transmission Problem" plus all the other usual "specialty" warnings began to scroll on MID and "D" began to flash along with multiple icons lit. Car began to buck as if bad timing or out of gas. Got safely stopped and found 5 error messages displayed complete with error codes and schedule dealer appointment message.

Got car to dealer, tech drove car and by this time, no error messages were showing????? Regardless that I had photos of IP and error codes, none showed when connected to dealership computer quote "NO PROBLEM FOUND and NO ERROR CODES STORED, Tech Line will not allow us to do anything until error codes show in our computer"...please bring back the loaner and pick up your car. So much for photos of error codes and car so sofisticated to create error codes but can't store them.

Last night, Christmas night, more transmission error codes have appeared. Car will be parked all weekend and calling ACR Monday morning. This plus other unresolved issues makes the "Thrill" fade fast.

Last edited by Davinci547Acura; 12-26-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
^^^^

YIKES sorry to hear!
Old 12-26-2014, 11:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Davinci547Acura
Last night, Christmas night, more transmission error codes have appeared. Car will be parked all weekend and calling ACR Monday morning. This plus other unresolved issues makes the "Thrill" fade fast.
Wow! That is sad to hear. Best of luck next week and into the new year. Happy New Year.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Davinci547Acura
Add this one to the list! 4 months old and 4,500 miles.

Last Sunday night "Transmission Problem" plus all the other usual "specialty" warnings began to scroll on MID and "D" began to flash along with multiple icons lit. Car began to buck as if bad timing or out of gas. Got safely stopped and found 5 error messages displayed complete with error codes and schedule dealer appointment message.

Got car to dealer, tech drove car and by this time, no error messages were showing????? Regardless that I had photos of IP and error codes, none showed when connected to dealership computer quote "NO PROBLEM FOUND and NO ERROR CODES STORED, Tech Line will not allow us to do anything until error codes show in our computer"...please bring back the loaner and pick up your car. So much for photos of error codes and car so sofisticated to create error codes but can't store them.

You should call acura Client relations and tell them of your experience. Perhaps they may make a month's payment for the hassle that you have incurred or work with the dealer to help resolve your issue. I also suggest you document everything and read up on LEMON LAW. A booklet should have been included with your car explaining ALL ASPECTS of lemon law.

I had to file it with Acura for my 2006 MDX which would repeatedly have a dead battery and Honda/Acura North America took very good care of me and put me in to a 2007 MDX.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:15 AM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by vishrit
Now I know what a Boeing 747 pilot must feel like when flying over the pacific if a bunch of sensor alarms go off (Just kidding!)

Even more scary: Terrain! Pull Up! (or) Glide slope! Glide Slope! Pull Up!
Old 12-27-2014, 04:14 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is the weird part - the service tech just called me and told me that the toll tag seemed to be interfering with the LKAS system and is triggering various other related sensors. I told him it didn't make any sense to me as the toll tag was put on the first day when I bought the car 4 months ago. He said that they were trying to figure out the cause of the issue and the moment they removed the toll tag sticker, all the sensor alarms went away. I have no idea how this is even possible?

Quick question, where con the windshield did you have that toll tag mounted (for example, just to the right of the windshield camera)? Even though this situation seems pretty isolated, I'm sure others would like to avoid it if possible. Also, would you mind indicated which State issued your tag?

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2014, 06:51 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by J.A.S.
Quick question, where con the windshield did you have that toll tag mounted (for example, just to the right of the windshield camera)? Even though this situation seems pretty isolated, I'm sure others would like to avoid it if possible. Also, would you mind indicated which State issued your tag?

Thanks!
The tag is right behind the rearview mirror on the windshield issued in TX. I think it is nonsense. I had the tag on there from day 1 and never had any issues since then until Christmas Eve. Let's see what today brings. They were going to give me the car yesterday but decided to keep the car overnight for additional time and checks to see if anything comes back.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Burning Brakes

The tag is right behind the rearview mirror on the windshield issued in TX. I think it is nonsense. I had the tag on there from day 1 and never had any issues since then until Christmas Eve.
That's where mine is placed since Day 1 and I am up to 5,600 miles with no issues. Will remember your message and be on the lookout. At this point, I think it is a stretch to think this is the issue. I believe my toll pass is just a chip that is being read and is not transmitting. There is no power applied.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:10 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tlxsteve
That's where mine is placed since Day 1 and I am up to 5,600 miles with no issues. Will remember your message and be on the lookout. At this point, I think it is a stretch to think this is the issue. I believe my toll pass is just a chip that is being read and is not transmitting. There is no power applied.
Agreed. I fully expect to be back at the dealer in a couple of weeks.
The following users liked this post:
tlxsteve (12-27-2014)
Old 12-27-2014, 01:10 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the info. Mine is also centered behind the mirror and granted, it's only been a week but no issues. I like that location for the tag because it is not visible from the driver's seat. I tried it in a couple of other spots and not only was it distracting, it took away from the overall beauty of the interior.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
No issues with my toll tag either. 4 mos and 3200 miles.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:02 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Toll Tags generally work when they are excited by an RF signal and then they transmit back. Some older ones may have a battery but most of the newer ones are RF ID tags. It is conceivable that it could be excited by a none toll booth signal that is close to the frequency of the tag and causes it to transmit. But this is really really low power. It certainly seems like it would be pretty rare to have this happen. Or, maybe there is something being transmitted out of the car itself near the toll tag that is causing the tag to respond. Again I think this is a long shot.

In another thread it was mentioned that the Toll Tag could be put in the sunroof. I thought that was a great idea if it would work from that location.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Toll Tags generally work when they are excited by an RF signal and then they transmit back. Some older ones may have a battery but most of the newer ones are RF ID tags. It is conceivable that it could be excited by a none toll booth signal that is close to the frequency of the tag and causes it to transmit. But this is really really low power. It certainly seems like it would be pretty rare to have this happen. Or, maybe there is something being transmitted out of the car itself near the toll tag that is causing the tag to respond. Again I think this is a long shot.

In another thread it was mentioned that the Toll Tag could be put in the sunroof. I thought that was a great idea if it would work from that location.
I never thought of doing that. I will try that. Thanks!
It has been a week since the issue and it hasn't presented itself again. Let's see.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:09 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
I had the same problem two days after I got the car. The service manager told me that there was probably a voltage drop that set of all of the warnings. The warnings cleared later that day and I have not had the problem since.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:46 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
I had the same problem two days after I got the car. The service manager told me that there was probably a voltage drop that set of all of the warnings. The warnings cleared later that day and I have not had the problem since.
That could make sense, but what wold cause such a voltage drop? With more and more electric accessories on cars (vice belt driven) there could be more opportunity for several to be on at the same time and might cause a momentary voltage drop on the bus.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:46 AM
Burning Brakes

I had a faulty fuel filler assembly that caused a voltage drop that caused the Emissions Failure Light and Electronic Brake Failure Light to come on. Nothing whatsoever was wrong with the Electronic Brake. With replacement of the faulty part, both issues were resolved and I haven't seen the issue since. That was almost 4 months ago. I hope your issue is easily fixed as well.