2015 2.4 DCT Problems

Old 01-04-2018, 07:24 PM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts
2015 2.4 DCT Problems

Hey Guys,
Just got back today from a 1200 mile trip today. I have noticeably had some minor jerking from gear changes 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 within the first 10 minutes of driving since about 30k miles after I had the fluid changed. I got to Texas the other night, and the next morning I started up and pulled out and went to my meeting. As usual, I let the engine warm for about 45 seconds before putting in gear. The car revved to about 3300 rpms before shifting in all the way to the meeting which was an unbearable experience. I've had a few problems with this since the fluid change. So I took time out of my business trip to call David McDavid Acura and drove to the dealer. They performed the E.C.U. update and washed the car, and continued on my way. The car was fine driving back to the hotel. I packed up my car and headed back to St.Louis today, and it seemed like it barely made a difference. I contacted my dealer, and they said there shouldn't be a problem since the fluid was changed and the tranny was updated. At the end of the call, they offered to pick it up and leave a loaner at my place of work. Has anyone had this problem with 2.4 8Sp DCT?? What should I do next?? Mileage right now is just under 47k.
Thanks.

Last edited by robscharp05; 01-04-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is the issue you are complaining about the jerky shifts and the high revving, or just the high revving? Did you have jerky shifts before the transmission fluid change?

I can't speak to the high-revving issue, but my car has had the jerky shifts from day one, as is the case for others.

I know that transmission fluids do make a difference in our cars. I also have a 2005 Acura TL in 5 speed. There was an known issue with third gear popping out that Amsoil synchromesh transmission fluid fixed.

Bulletin: Has anyone changed out the transmission fluid on this car and noticed an improvement in shifting?

P.S. I will be switching to the Amsoil DCT transmission fluid when I hit 30k miles. I will keep everyone posted. If anyone else has tried this fluid, and has noticed a change, please share.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...?code=DCTQT-EA

Last edited by Biggie_B; 01-07-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:33 PM
Instructor

Also, a quote from an article:
AMSOIL has introduced a new synthetic fluid for dual-clutch transmissions (DCTs). AMSOIL Synthetic DCT Fluid’s superior frictional properties protect against shudder and gear clashing to consistently produce fast, smooth shifts. Its exceptional durability provides stability in stop-and-go traffic and excels under intense, high-heat conditions. AMSOIL DCT Fluid’s built-in oxidation resistance helps prevent sludge formation in vital transmission parts.While DCTs are capable of seamless shifts, they can suffer from shudder or lurching at slow speeds. Transmission fluid with specific frictional properties is required to prevent shudder. DCT fluid must also maintain the proper viscosity to provide protection during the high-heat operation native to high-performance sports sedans and supercars.The concept of two transmissions working in tandem within one vehicle dates back to the 1930s. The dual-clutch transmission (DCT) made its first practical appearance decades later in several 1980s-era race cars. In 2003, Volkswagen’s Golf* Mk4 R32 was the first production vehicle to feature the technology. Today the spectrum of vehicles with DCTs has widened, from the Hyundai Sonata* to the Nissan GT-R*.● Outstanding wear protection● Excellent performance in extreme heat and cold● Designed to prevent shudder
Source: Amsoil Synthetic Dual-Clutch Transmission Fluid - Engine Builder Magazine
Old 01-07-2018, 03:47 PM
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
I would not recommend putting any other transmission fluid other than Honda Transmission fluid inside a Honda gearbox.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by theredia92
I would not recommend putting any other transmission fluid other than Honda Transmission fluid inside a Honda gearbox.
And what is your recommendation based on exactly? Is this a professional opinion, or based on personal experience?

My Acura TL would still be driving like garbage...with Honda transmission fluid if I had not switched to Amsoil. Obviously, not all transmission fluids are made the same, and one should ALWAYS do their research first, but I speak from personal experience, and this will be echoed by others on this forum who had similar problems with their transmission. Amsoil has created a fluid specifically designed for DCT transmissions, which this car has, and they have been making a quality product for years. There is no reason to be scared off from trying it just because it is not a Honda product.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:14 PM
Instructor

My statement was not that of an opinion but of fact. The dual clutch transmissions in our cars are completely different from traditional dual clutches found in Fords or VWs. Think of it as a combination of a dual clutch, manual, conventional Hondamatic. Putting any other fluid inside a Honda transmission will damage it. This also applies to traditional Hondamatic transmissions, CVTs, and their manual gearboxes. Hondas from day one has always used their own designs when it came to transmissions. Honda's founder could not afford the rights to build a traditional planetary gear set automatic back in the 1970's. So he took one of his manual gearboxes, fitted a valve body to it, and designed it to shift gears automatically. That design is still used today.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:23 PM
Instructor

Interesting. If this is true, I imagine it would be placed front and center in some Honda/Acura literature. Do you have a link or source that supports your statement that putting in anything other than Honda transmission fluid will damage the DCT transmission? Thanks.

Also, you say that this applies to manual transmissions (news to me) as well, but I can attest to the fact that my TL has 160k, has Amsoil Synthertic in the transmission, and drives like a champ, unlike what it drove like with Honda Transmission Fluid.

My statement was not that of an opinion but of fact. The dual clutch transmissions in our cars are completely different from traditional dual clutches found in Fords or VWs. Think of it as a combination of a dual clutch, manual, conventional Hondamatic. Putting any other fluid inside a Honda transmission will damage it. This also applies to traditional Hondamatic transmissions, CVTs, and their manual gearboxes. Hondas from day one has always used their own designs when it came to transmissions. Honda's founder could not afford the rights to build a traditional planetary gear set automatic back in the 1970's. So he took one of his manual gearboxes, fitted a valve body to it, and designed it to shift gears automatically. That design is still used today.

Last edited by Biggie_B; 01-07-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:36 AM
Instructor

This is straight out of the owner's guide in my TLX.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 2.4 DCT Problems-20180108_093246.jpg  
Old 01-08-2018, 10:42 AM
Instructor

This is straight out of the owner's guide in my TLX.
That is not proof for your statement, good sir. That is only what Acura recommends. Looking at that very same picture, "Acura Long life antifreeze" and "Acura heavy duty brake fluid" are specified. Surely, you do not believe that putting anything other than those recommended fluids will damage the vehicle, do you? I do not want to come off as argumentative, but your original statement took me by surprise, and I was curious to know the basis for it, as I had never heard it before. Do you have any other support for your statement that placing anything other than Honda Transmission Fluid into the DCT will damage the transmission? I encourage anyone else with information to chime in. Thanks.

Last edited by Biggie_B; 01-08-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
^Based on all the problems people are having to get their transmission fixed, why would someone use generic fluid when car is still under warranty? Doesn't really make sense honestly, they just need one reason to say no.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Biggie_B
That is not proof for your statement, good sir. That is only what Acura recommends. Looking at that very same picture, "Acura Long life antifreeze" and "Acura heavy duty brake fluid" are specified. Surely, you do not believe that putting anything other than those recommended fluids will damage the vehicle, do you? I do not want to come off as argumentative, but your original statement took me by surprise, and I was curious to know the basis for it, as I had never heard it before. Do you have any other support for your statement that placing anything other than Honda Transmission Fluid into the DCT will damage the transmission? I encourage anyone else with information to chime in. Thanks.
Here's what you do bud, top off your DCT with the fluid you feel will make a difference. Then drive the car and let us know if anything happens. It should make for a entertaining thread. Keep in mind that your not going to be able to get 100 percent of the Honda fluid out with a simple drain and fill. So be sure to do a drain and fill. Drive around. Then drain and fill...and repeat that 3 times. I can't wait to see the results.
The following 3 users liked this post by theredia92:
Biggie_B (01-08-2018), Gen4MDX (02-13-2018), pyrodan007 (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 01:40 PM
Instructor

Here's what you do bud, top off your DCT with the fluid you feel will make a difference. Then drive the car and let us know if anything happens. It should make for a entertaining thread. Keep in mind that your not going to be able to get 100 percent of the Honda fluid out with a simple drain and fill. So be sure to do a drain and fill. Drive around. Then drain and fill...and repeat that 3 times. I can't wait to see the results.
Pyrodan: I'm planning on changing fluids because the transmission is under performing (jerky shifts/idle rpm shudder/vibrations) with the Honda Transmission Fluid. Amsoil creates a good product; I would not brand it as generic, and I would not dump some random fluid into the transmission. This fluid is designed for DCT transmissions, and is branded as minimizing or alleviating DCT engine shudder and jerky shifts. I have had transmission issues with my TL, which Amsoil oil alleviated. The Amsoil was recommended by members of this very forum. I see no harm in trying something that has worked into the past. As to the issue of voiding a warranty; I don't recall seeing any information from Honda/Acura that putting a non-Honda DCT fluid will void the warranty. If you came across something to the contrary, let me know. Thanks!

Theredia: Your response is non-responsive. I will take it as an admission that you could not find the documentation to support your statement. Changing fluids may work, it may not, the problem could and may be more deeply rooted in the transmission itself. However, there is no harm in trying. You say there is, yet to date you have not provided me any proof. I will keep everyone posted, but it may be a little while, the car has another 10-20k to go before the scheduled service is due.

Last edited by Biggie_B; 01-08-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Update: I contacted Amsoil technical support. They could not recommend using this DCT fluid on our transmission, as it has not yet been tested against the "Type 2" fluid which is specified in the user manual. In the future, this fluid may be certified for our vehicle, or another fluid will be available, if necessary. The debate whether using anything other than Honda fluid continues (lol) , but I want to thank Theredia for his posts, as it did lead me to do more research. I tip my hat to you, good sir! At this juncture, I will wait until Amsoil officially recommends a fluid, and would recommend the same for others.

If anyone has used different transmission fluid with positive results, let us know. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Terdbath (02-16-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 04:47 PM
Instructor

Wait so you're saying your not going to follow through with my little experiment because of what Amsoil said?! I am disappointed. I had already bought a box of movie theater butter popcorn...and you took their word over mine?! You hurt my feelings Biggie. HA. Even Amsoil is telling you that their stuff is not formulated to be used in a Honda transmission. Anyway here are pages out of a 1998 Accord's owners guide, as well as a 2005 CR-V's owners guide. (Two cars I have owned). To the OP, if the car is not shifting right after the service, bring the car in immediately and have them look at it. After mine was updated in April 17' its been flawless.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 2.4 DCT Problems-20180108_171807.jpg   2015 2.4 DCT Problems-20180108_171913.jpg  
Old 01-13-2018, 11:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 2015 tlx v6 had jerkiness problems & it has 46k miles. got it swapped with a new transmission & it’s all fine now. get your transmission replaced.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Biggie _B,

Looks as though by your admission that you could not find the documentation to support your statement. Lol