1st TLX with replaced Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 01:45 PM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
1st TLX with replaced Engine?

Hey all,

Long time since I posted because life, but just curious if anyone has had their engine replaced on the TLX or am I the first?

2015 TLX Advance with 63k miles.

Transmission shifted into Neutral while driving around 25k miles, they reprogrammed trans and that corrected the issue. Engine issues started around 35k with the top half of engine being rebuilt after bearing quit and caused a rod to hit valve cover. At 45k miles it started doing what I call a stutter shift? In manual sport+ mode it would get up to about 4500 rpms, then acted like it wanted to shift before I even hit the paddle, lose power then jerk like crazy and lunge forward. Similar to the horrible auto downshift we have all felt in the TLX. Go through a bunch of BS with local dealer and they changed the oil and the issue went away. FFW to my next oil change and MID says oil is down to 35% and it starts acting same way. Take it in and they cant figure it out so they reset the trans to see if that would do the trick. It did not. 700 miles after the reset it starts clicking when I accelerate. It moves, but it clicks very loudly. They say the lower half needs to be rebuilt but not sure the issue but Acura corp approved a new engine so they are currently swapping it.

Im hoping this solves the issue but curious if anyone else has had an issue like this. Out of all my Acuras over the years I have never had any issues so Im pretty perplexed and or figure I got a true lemon.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:08 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
Haterz gonna hate. You have teh only TLX with any probs. Mines smooth as glass no probs nothing but gas and oil. Get out my AZ.

The former issue was obviously an engine problem. The current issue sounds more to me like a tranny problem. You have a 15 Advance, meaning V6, meaning ZF9. There were all sorts of issues with early 15 ZF9s. What VIN is yours? P-AWS under 021489 or SH-AWD under 007728 qualify for replacement. A quick search at Google, Consumer Reports and Edmunds for "tlx transmission issues" will provide more material than you care to read. If they're replacing the engine, I'd insist on replacing the tranny too before a it wrecks another engine.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...15/reliability
Google - TLX transmission issues

Last edited by someguy11; 05-08-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:56 PM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
Thats just the thing, its not a tranny issue as much as I thought it was as well, and trust me, I argued with the dealer to reset to learning or to change it out because it is very dangerous trying to overtake a car and then having no power for a second or 2. I swapped the air filter because I figured it might be a fuel or air issue but the dealer, or rather the crappy rep kept telling me it was a low battery, no gas , and then "Im not sure" but I got to take it in every week with the dash lit up like a christmas tree for about 2 months. Provided videos of the issue, the whole nine yards. They change the oil and boom issue gone then back to 35% left or lower and issue comes back up, 3 weeks later the clicking happens. If I had to guess I dont think the MID was calculating RPMs properly due to the top half rebuild and caused it to act that way thinking it had right amoutn of oil but it did not

I guess if it happens after the engine swap then Ill have all new powertrain

Disclaimer: Acura Corporate has been great through last years process and this year so dont want to give wrong impression.

Last edited by BeezleTL85; 05-08-2019 at 12:59 PM.