Transmission Replaced 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 09:53 PM
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts
Transmission Replaced 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite

Hey guys...

I haven't posted in a while. Settle in for a long story...

Back in December, I found some fluid spilled on the floor of my garage under the TLX parking spot.

I brought it to the dealerships attention just before Christmas. They diagnosed an axle seal. Being the time of year they gave me the car back and said the seal had been ordered and it will probably be 2-3 weeks, we will call you.

As February began, I started getting concerned that I had no idea how much fluid I was losing, no way to check fluid level, no way to add fluid (without being up on a lift) so I phoned to enquire about the part.

Was told the part was on back order and wouldn't be available until middle of February. Then I was told that the dealership hadn't notified "Engineering" of the seal failure so it wasn't that there was a backorder, but it was an engineering hold on the parts because engineering wanted to be aware of any transmission part replacements.

When I pointed out and took pictures of how much fluid was being left on my garage floor, and that I have no idea how much fluid is in the transmission and no way to top it up, they put me in a loaner and parked my car.

Finally got the seal in and replaced by March... I cleaned the garage floor (using dealer supplied brake clean/degreaser), and by Easter I was finding more spots on the floor under the TLX.

Back to the dealer mid april (after losing my appointment for the first week in april), and I was hoping that it was just some residual fluid that they didn't clean up from the underbody.

No such luck, sent me away in a loaner. They wanted to get engineering to take a look at it... Took photos, and then the bad news. Was told that an inner seal had failed and was pushing fluid past the axle seal. The inner seal wasn't serviceable so engineering had authorized a new transmission.

What I suspect, is that engineering wanted to tear down the transmission to find out how things had failed so that they could determine if they had a larger problem with this new transmission design.

Anyways, the transmission, transmission control module (twice as the first one they sent was for a 2wd), and half shaft was replaced. When asked the service advisor estimated that work at around 7500$ ...

Gotta say, the new transmission is smooth as silk now... none of the odd 2-3 shifts and lurching etc.

So do I win a prize? First TLX to have the transmission replaced?

oh and I have less than 25000 km.

take it easy...
qwxilvr.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:06 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
First to have the transmission replaced? Have you read through the 2-3 rough shifts thread? You'll see posts from me and others mentioning their replacements and the part numbers involved.

Many transmissions have been replaced, but it seems to be sort of haphazard and it's not clear why some are replaced while others aren't.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:40 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
I think you're the first to have a leak, but certainly not the first replacement. I think another Canadian or two even had theirs replaced first (after some US ones). Acura Canada doesn't communicate very well with Acura USA.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:27 AM
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts
Sorry for the flippant comment about winning a prize... It was a poor attempt at a joke.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:36 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
quite shocked that they first diagnosed it as an axle.

glad you got it fixed. enjoy it!
Old 05-06-2016, 07:05 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
This appears to be a pattern failure for the TLX...

Hopefully they can fix it right the first time, maybe recall them all if this is actually true...

The TLX is having its fair share of problems, and is likely the least reliable Honda/Acura in over ten years...

I read about hard shifts and transmission problems since late 2014, when it debuted...

It is looking like the next 2nd gen TL, hope I can take that back...

Good luck, and ride them about that warranty if problems reappear...

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 05-06-2016 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Ride, not rude...
Old 05-07-2016, 02:35 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
This appears to be a pattern failure for the TLX...

Hopefully they can fix it right the first time, maybe recall them all if this is actually true...

The TLX is having its fair share of problems, and is likely the least reliable Honda/Acura in over ten years...

I read about hard shifts and transmission problems since late 2014, when it debuted...

It is looking like the next 2nd gen TL, hope I can take that back...

Good luck, and ride them about that warranty if problems reappear...
A pattern of axle seal leaks? This is the first I've seen.
The following users liked this post:
wlkeel (05-08-2016)