New Stereo Upgrade? Problems? - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

New Stereo Upgrade? Problems?

Old 02-20-2019, 01:39 PM

New Stereo Upgrade? Problems?

Hi guys,

New here and I did search but found nothing, so please excuse me if this has been discussed...

I went to an audio shop here in town to discuss updating my stereo system. Frankly I think the one I have in my 2018 TLX sounds horrible. The gentleman (owner) of the store told me he could add rear/trunk/ bass speakers but that changing out the current speakers and amp are very difficult on the newer Acuras due to some kind of control unit in the vehicle. He said he would advise me not to bother doing it due to the cost because of the trouble in changing out newer Acura systems. Does anyone know anything abou this? I'm not a speaker expert and just want a better sounding system.

Thanks!

Brandon
Old 02-23-2019, 09:28 AM
ElectroMechanicalEngineer

Adding only subs is an option, but i believe you'll have to deal with the noise canceling mic.
Upgrading all the speakers as straight drop ins, is an option too. But will still be powered by OEM amp.
Doing a full system upgrade - taking the low voltage signals pre factory amp, run to your aftermarket amp then to the new speakers will be the best change. BUT will be the most expensive. <---- I did this in my 3G TL, sounded great lots of work. The center channel speaker i left powered by the OEM amp

The 5G TLX head unit does much more than older gens of head units. I personally wont do it due to the amount of work/cost needed to keep the factory look and functions (which you could figure out in time).
Old 03-16-2019, 06:29 AM
Registered Member

I added an amp and sub to my 2017 TLX. Made a world of difference and wasn't that much of an ordeal (I had it professionally installed though). Looking to do the same for my 2019 Aspec but bump it up to two 12's instead of one.