AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics & Navigation (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-416/)
-   -   New Stereo Upgrade? Problems? (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-416/new-stereo-upgrade-problems-977336/)

civileng68 02-20-2019 01:39 PM

New Stereo Upgrade? Problems?

Hi guys,

New here and I did search but found nothing, so please excuse me if this has been discussed...……

I went to an audio shop here in town to discuss updating my stereo system. Frankly I think the one I have in my 2018 TLX sounds horrible. The gentleman (owner) of the store told me he could add rear/trunk/ bass speakers but that changing out the current speakers and amp are very difficult on the newer Acuras due to some kind of control unit in the vehicle. He said he would advise me not to bother doing it due to the cost because of the trouble in changing out newer Acura systems. Does anyone know anything abou this? I'm not a speaker expert and just want a better sounding system.

Thanks!

Brandon

djtsmith007 02-23-2019 09:28 AM

Adding only subs is an option, but i believe you'll have to deal with the noise canceling mic.
Upgrading all the speakers as straight drop ins, is an option too. But will still be powered by OEM amp.
Doing a full system upgrade - taking the low voltage signals pre factory amp, run to your aftermarket amp then to the new speakers will be the best change. BUT will be the most expensive. <---- I did this in my 3G TL, sounded great lots of work. The center channel speaker i left powered by the OEM amp

The 5G TLX head unit does much more than older gens of head units. I personally wont do it due to the amount of work/cost needed to keep the factory look and functions (which you could figure out in time).

mano 03-16-2019 06:29 AM

I added an amp and sub to my 2017 TLX. Made a world of difference and wasn't that much of an ordeal (I had it professionally installed though). Looking to do the same for my 2019 Aspec but bump it up to two 12's instead of one.

CAB NY 04-17-2019 07:07 PM

add a sub and you'll satisfied I did it was simple but the only problem I have is the rear deck rattles and I tried different things not much luck any suggestions

marxw13 04-25-2019 01:32 PM

It's a frustrating car for audio if your looking for a full system upgrade meaning more than just adding a sub. You can't get a pre amp signal in this car to run to a speaker amp because the volume control is done internally in the factory Amp. That means your stuck with the factory Amp powering the speakers or you can grab the signal after the factory Amp which results in not the best sound quality. There are companies like NavTV that make solutions for problems like this but no one offers anything for this car. Everyone will debate this but I've been installing car audio professionally for 7 years and have alot of experience with this car. My 05 sounds better with half the money into it

csmeance 04-25-2019 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by CAB NY (Post 16412913)
add a sub and you'll satisfied I did it was simple but the only problem I have is the rear deck rattles and I tried different things not much luck any suggestions

Take the rear deck apart and add felt/foam near all clip locations and along the bottom edges. Drive without back seat and rear deck cover (fabric) and you can have someone see what causes rattles. I got unlucky with my 3G TL and it was the center seatbelt rattling. A new one from a salvage yard and I was good to go with no more rattle!

As far as the complicated system, the new audio system in TLX isn't the best and it isn't easy to modify but doable with some extra $.

1. Disconnect the ANC (active noice cancellation) mics and also turn it off in the navi hidden menu (diagnostics menu).
2. Buy an audio processor (such as Rocksford, Harmon Logic 7, etc)
3. Tap into signal POST AMP
4. Use o-scope or other tools to get the frequencies right on the processor and enjoy.

know610 04-26-2019 10:00 AM

You can always try this for pre-amp, https://www.tlxforums.com/forum/elec...ystem-faq.html

know610 04-26-2019 10:11 AM

I had shop done for my '17 TLX base model but wasn't satisfied and they call them "the best". Noise and bad wiring. Good things I have this forum and fixed majority of their issues.
@mano and all, what amp are you using? I felt like Phoenix Amp TI21600.5 isn't as good after using. I notice loudness seen to be degraded compare before and now. Also, after few months using and when I remove the door panel (trying to fix the mess the shop made)., I notice speaker got soaked. I let it dry and reconnected and use until now.

marxw13 04-26-2019 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by know610 (Post 16416995)
You can always try this for pre-amp, https://www.tlxforums.com/forum/elec...ystem-faq.html

That's a nice write up but it outlines what I was talking about. You volume control is done via CAN in the factory Amp. You can connect to a pre amp signal but wouldn't be able to control the volume unless you add your own volume knob. Until they come out with an interface of sorts this will be the case. The drawbacks of getting the signal post amp are you tend to get a hiss or white noise at low/no volume even with a processor. I'm running an Audiocontrol DM810. It's been discussed before on these forums

01LSi 05-05-2019 10:58 AM

It was a very long journey but ultimately at the end there was no hissing for me post factory amplifier. Shortly after installing the Helix Director controller, I preferred using that over steering wheel controls (but I have an i4 and my hand was always resting on the shifter closeby). If I knew up front I wouldn't have minded to just use the Director volume knob, I could have easily tapped pre amp and saved half the headache. It's unfortunate how unnecessarily complex manufacturers make their audio systems (complex but not better).

GrizzGrazz 05-07-2019 04:51 PM

So it’s not just me? 2019 TLX stereo volume is terrible. Is there no way to have the factory amp turned up?

SndLvr 09-07-2019 04:33 PM

Possible TLX system

I have brand new 2020 Base model and want to improve sound. General questions: 1. Will speaker upgrade alone improve? 2. Do I have to use 2 ohm speakers for speaker upgrade ? 3. If I go route of Fix86, do I need the TWK or anything else ? 4. If I use the Fix86 with JL Audio amp, will I avoid any distortion or noise ? 5. Besides losing volume control, will I lose any other factory functions (steering wheel controls) if I go post amp with the Fix86/TWK ? 6. Finally, what harness did you use ? I will greatly appreciate any help. I am brand new to the forum.

Why do so many audio places say it’s no problem ? Do they just want business, then don’t care when you have problems ??

gloryaccordy 09-12-2019 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by marxw13 (Post 16416601)
It's a frustrating car for audio if your looking for a full system upgrade meaning more than just adding a sub. You can't get a pre amp signal in this car to run to a speaker amp because the volume control is done internally in the factory Amp. That means your stuck with the factory Amp powering the speakers or you can grab the signal after the factory Amp which results in not the best sound quality. There are companies like NavTV that make solutions for problems like this but no one offers anything for this car. Everyone will debate this but I've been installing car audio professionally for 7 years and have alot of experience with this car. My 05 sounds better with half the money into it

If you can get a full range left + right channel signal you can run it through a sound processor that will give you a flat signal. Then you can use that signal to power your amps or w/e. Cost wise I don't think it's much more than getting a new head unit and doing a full system replacement. Personally outside of a little harshness around 3-6KHz I don't mind the stock stereo. But I mainly listen to podcasts and jazz.

SndLvr 09-12-2019 11:15 AM

Tlx

How about replacing factory speakers with 2-3 ohm aftermarket speakers that have bigger magnet and aren’t just crappy paper ?