Can Navi routing system be accessed while moving?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 10:44 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can Navi routing system be accessed while moving?

I have a 2012 TL and my wife just bought a 2015 RDX. Noticed I could not operate her RDX's navi routing and guidance system while the car is moving (unlike my '12 TL where I can or my wife, as a passenger, can as well). In order to plan a new route or find a given place, the RDX must be stopped. While I might be convinced this restriction was put into place to keep drivers from being distracted if they try to use the Navi guidance system while driving, I don't find it useful at all that the passenger cannot access it either and therefore one must find a place to stop safely off the highway just to use the guidance system. This is especially annoying and cumbersome when driving in heavy traffic or on an interstate.

Is this the trend in all guidance and routing systems for not just Acura but all/most mfgrs with models newer that a certain year, say 2014 or 2015?

I think this particular design limitation might be a deterring factor for me in considering getting a TLX or some other car with similar restrictions to using their Navi guidance system.

Anyone else with similar experiences?

Old 08-17-2014, 11:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
I believe this is a regulated safety change for all vehicles. The limitation has been in place with some other cars for years now.

It would be difficult to have a system where only the passenger could operate and not the driver. It is inconvenient, but a good safety measure to prevent the driver from trying to operate the controls.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:01 AM
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
It is definitely a trend to restrict access to Nav functions while moving in order to reduce distracted driving. Heck, even the popular mobile app WAZE restricts you from searching or typing in a destination while in motion......

Unless you use voice commands.. Here's what you can do w/ the TLX (would assume your RDX has similar functionality).

1. Press the talk button
2. Say "Address"
3. Say the address when prompted
4. Say "Set as destination"

You can also find POIs by category and have it give you the nearest POI by voice. In fact, most everything that is controlled by the center stack including radio and climate control can be controlled by voice in the TLX.

Last edited by Gregg; 08-17-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Quandry
I believe this is a regulated safety change for all vehicles. The limitation has been in place with some other cars for years now.

It would be difficult to have a system where only the passenger could operate and not the driver. It is inconvenient, but a good safety measure to prevent the driver from trying to operate the controls.
It's NOT regulated by government. Acura in 2012 adopted guidlines voluntary as most manufactures have . Acura has said restrictions will change as needed in the future. As voice command systems get better we won't have to enter destinations manually in the future .
Old 08-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Has anyone played with inputting the address via voice? I am curious to know if its like in the newer BMW, where you can just spout off the full address and it understands, or if u have to go one at a time with Street, Number, City, etc.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:48 PM
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Here is the example from the Owners Guide (which was posted here a few weeks ago)

1. From the Voice Portal screen, say “Address.”
2. The system prompts you to say the entire address. For example, say “1-2-3-4 Main Street, Los Angeles, California.”
3. The system interprets the address by state, city, street, and address number. If necessary, you may have to clarify similar matches.
4. Say “Set as destination” to set the route.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sure there is a bypass for this. Does anyone know if previous Acuras had a bypass?