Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 02:03 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Apple CarPlay

Is the TLX going to feature Apple's CarPlay?

https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/
Old 08-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Not on the 2015's and I guess the question for those of us interested in buying this year, is whether the existing equipment will accept a software upgrade for either CarPlay or the Android equivalent.

Pretty sure that one of the reviews mentioned the exact same thing.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Advanced

CarPlay

Ugh, so disappointing. Especially for a car maker who puts themselves out there as advanced, forward looking, and technologically progressive.

Thanks Gregg, and fingers crossed that we'll see software upgrades to accommodate Apple CarPlay and Android as well.
The following users liked this post:
musty hustla (08-14-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thassett
Ugh, so disappointing. Especially for a car maker who puts themselves out there as advanced, forward looking, and technologically progressive.

Thanks Gregg, and fingers crossed that we'll see software upgrades to accommodate Apple CarPlay and Android as well.

Agree - very disappointing. I'm hoping with Honda America's announcement of support for Android Auto that there will be a software update coming in the near future....
Old 08-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Huskr84
Agree - very disappointing. I'm hoping with Honda America's announcement of support for Android Auto that there will be a software update coming in the near future....
I'm in the same boat. As an Android user, "Siri Eyes Free" is of no value to me in this car. I'm still a few years off from my next purchase, but this new TLX has caught my attention. I hope for everyone's sake that the first year buyers don't get left behind when Honda/Acura rolls out support for Carplay and Android Auto.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:30 PM
Advanced

I really hope the days of the $2,500 built-in Nav systems are numbered. By the time the cars even make it to market, the technology is about a year old. And most systems can't compete at all with the accuracy and updates that you get through Apple or Google. (traffic, search, crowd-sourced data from Waze (cops, accidents, etc), intelligent routing, construction, etc.) Acura would be wise to include an elegant interface to CarPlay and Android Auto, and quick!!
Old 08-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregg
Not on the 2015's and I guess the question for those of us interested in buying this year, is whether the existing equipment will accept a software upgrade for either CarPlay or the Android equivalent.

Pretty sure that one of the reviews mentioned the exact same thing.
doubt it - software upgrade
Old 08-18-2014, 06:07 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I see so many people playing with their phones while driving. It's crazy. I don't "use" my phone while driving, but just to stream Spotify or internet radio takes some "attention" which is dangerous. Hands free is a must. I'm an Android user, so Android Auto may be a condition of me buying the car. I'm going to ask my dealer to research it with their Acura rep.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:30 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I read in one of the threads that Apple car play is in pipe line for near future. But will not be available for cars with Siri eyes. Why can't manufactures have software updates for stuff like this ?
Old 08-18-2014, 11:29 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by JTRADAR61
I read in one of the threads that Apple car play is in pipe line for near future. But will not be available for cars with Siri eyes. Why can't manufactures have software updates for stuff like this ?
$$$$$$$
Old 09-08-2014, 12:48 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope to hear something more certain regarding CarPlay. I'm not worried if it is just a software update. If it is hardware, then it gets more concerning!
Old 09-13-2014, 03:24 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Acura announces Carplay for the 2015 MDX and TLX gets outdated Siri with a 15 gig HD (ridiculously small) and single CD player! WTF
And from all information I've gleaned the TLX won't be update able

I'm disappointed as I wanted a multi CD player so I could appreciate high quality music. Sad when my '05 TL has better sound than a new model.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:11 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by madrussian190
$$$$$$$

I think the obstacle is not that it would be expensive to program the car to work with Carplay, but rather that Acura doesn't want to duplicate the functionality of Acuralink. Do you want to integrate your smartphone with your car's navigation system via an app? Well you already can (sort of), for the low low price of a $200 per year premium Acuralink subscription.

Sure, they could make that feature free, along with a bunch of other smartphone integration, but then why would anyone sign up for premium levels of Acuralink?

My guess is that they will eventually relent on this, AFTER some of their competition already offer it and they have no choice. They'll want to avoid "Hyundai beats Acura" review titles. But they'll do it as late as possible, and it will only apply to new models from then on.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:45 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexboculon
I think the obstacle is not that it would be expensive to program the car to work with Carplay, but rather that Acura doesn't want to duplicate the functionality of Acuralink. Do you want to integrate your smartphone with your car's navigation system via an app? Well you already can (sort of), for the low low price of a $200 per year premium Acuralink subscription.

Sure, they could make that feature free, along with a bunch of other smartphone integration, but then why would anyone sign up for premium levels of Acuralink?

My guess is that they will eventually relent on this, AFTER some of their competition already offer it and they have no choice. They'll want to avoid "Hyundai beats Acura" review titles. But they'll do it as late as possible, and it will only apply to new models from then on.
They would do well to include Carplay integration as part of Acuralink.

Acuralink in and of itself doesn't offer much value IMO.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:43 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
They would do well to include Carplay integration as part of Acuralink.

Acuralink in and of itself doesn't offer much value IMO.

True. Current Acuralink seems to try to justify it's price largely on the assumption people want to pay for concierge phone service, which is ridiculous. I don't want to press a button and ask some operator where the nearest Home Depot is, I want to speak a simple voice command and have google maps quickly find it for me.

The voice control and internet searching power already easily exists in modern smartphones, all the car needs to do is connect the phone to the car's mic/speakers, and allow the phone to send basic map data.