Stew's Unabashed review

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014 | 12:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Stew's Unabashed review

Okay, so I get an email from my salesman on Monday, 8/11/`14 saying they received some TLX's and that I could come in on Tuesday morning to test drive one.... so I arrive this morning and find out that the cars are still being prepped. They received 5, 4 are presold, all V6 model. They have one to use for demo.

The salesman takes me to the back lot to the prep are and... there it is! My first view of a V6 Tech TLX.

Name:  20140812_093647.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  71.6 KB

I walk around it, camera in hand, open the doors and shoot pics
Name:  20140812_090851.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  91.8 KB

Name:  20140812_090859.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  80.5 KB
Name:  20140812_090958.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  69.8 KB
Name:  20140812_090948.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  75.9 KB

As others have said, pics DO NOT do this car justice.

The salesman gives me the key and I slide in, adjust the seat and then, I feel it. That comfort on fit without being cramped. I am a big boy, 6'3 and 275. I start up the car, turn down the AC and the cold air blew like a cyclone.

I brought a DVD-A of Steely Dan and a DTS disc of Toy Matinee to see if the system played either. I was out of luck on the DVD-A, it is not longer supported (as expected) but the Toy Matinee disc.. started right up and WOW! The clarity and bass of the ELS is phenomenal, as expected!
Name:  20140812_091637.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  78.1 KB

I really like the rearview mirror!

Here's the location of the forward FCW camera
Name:  20140812_091214.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  40.5 KB

I didn't get to drive it though! It won't be ready until this afternoon. I was told they are adding some accessories to tit before we can test drive it.

I will add more after the drive.
The following 16 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
2011TL (08-13-2014), Acura_Girl_Forever (08-12-2014), BookemDanole (08-12-2014), dysonlu (08-12-2014), ggesq (08-12-2014), hadokenuh (08-12-2014), internalaudit (08-12-2014), JM2010 SH-AWD (08-12-2014), JT4 (08-13-2014), LawnPro (08-13-2014), Legend2TL (08-16-2014), ostrich (08-12-2014), Oswald Vater (08-12-2014), Rocket_man (08-13-2014), Timmy18 (08-12-2014), weather (08-12-2014) and 11 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-12-2014 | 12:42 PM
Racer

How's the plastic in the interior? There was this guy who said it was "hard-plastic" all over the place.
Old 08-12-2014 | 12:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dysonlu
How's the plastic in the interior? There was this guy who said it was "hard-plastic" all over the place.
It doesn't have any more that what I see in most cars. Did the guy say where his area of complaint was?

If there is anything specific you'd like for me focus. let me know so I can check it out when I go back to drive it.
Old 08-12-2014 | 12:50 PM
Racer

I was referring to this guy's, LiQiCE, review where he was viscerally negative about that aspect of the car. It really struck me because he made it sound like it's very cheap.

Edit: With quote

"Interior quality leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. The "extra" padding they put on the center console and doors seems non-existent. It wasn't uncomfortable putting my arm in either place, but it didn't feel well padded. There are hard plastics all over the car - in fact a lot of it feels no better than the Honda Accord. The leather is certainly better, but the upper door area, the dashboard area - all hard plastics. My 2003 TL-S had a better interior materials. You can see where they cut corners to try to bring the price of the car down."

Last edited by dysonlu; 08-12-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2014 | 12:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
It doesn't have any more that what I see in most cars. Did the guy say where his area of complaint was?

If there is anything specific you'd like for me focus. let me know so I can check it out when I go back to drive it.
I'm sure it's typical of internet whining. Over generalized and grossly exaggerated. <- See what I did there?
Old 08-12-2014 | 12:55 PM
I'm Craig

Could you snap some pics of this so-called frame-less review mirror? Curious to see it.
Old 08-12-2014 | 01:00 PM
Instructor

First of all, great taste in music. Second, bummer about not playing DVD-As. I've bought several for use in my 3G. I hope I can find some good music in DTS format.

And, THANKS for sharing!
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014 | 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cjTL
Could you snap some pics of this so-called frame-less review mirror? Curious to see it.
Here ya go! I did take pics of it:

Name:  20140812_091736.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  78.4 KB
Old 08-12-2014 | 02:35 PM
Cruisin'

Couple of thoughts.

Firstly, that shot of the rear instantly reminded me of the back of a Honda Civic. I don't know why it struck me so but it really does.

Secondly, I'm bummed the rear seats don't have the fold back headrests. I LOVED that clean rear view mirror look being so open.

Definitely can't wait to test drive the SHAWD version.

Good job on the pics though. Nice to see some Acurazine'rs view...
Stew4HD (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014 | 03:05 PM
Racer

let me know so I can check it out when I go back to drive it.
After you drive the new TLX, if you would mention your opinion of how it compares to your accord, that'd be great. Even though the accord is a very common car, I'm considering trading my '08 TSX for a '14 EX-L Accord. Being familiar with the accord, I can immediately see the similarities between the current accord and TLX (no offense). I'd love to hear what you generally think of the TLX compared to the accord you have now.
Old 08-12-2014 | 04:39 PM
Burning Brakes

I was referring to this guy's, LiQiCE, review where he was viscerally negative about that aspect of the car. It really struck me because he made it sound like it's very cheap.

"Interior quality leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. The "extra" padding they put on the center console and doors seems non-existent. It wasn't uncomfortable putting my arm in either place, but it didn't feel well padded. There are hard plastics all over the car - in fact a lot of it feels no better than the Honda Accord. The leather is certainly better, but the upper door area, the dashboard area - all hard plastics. My 2003 TL-S had a better interior materials. You can see where they cut corners to try to bring the price of the car down."
I actually thought that the padding on the lower armrest and center were very good. The upper part of the doors and much of the dash is semi-padded plastic?....I usually drive with left elbow higher on door on window ledge so that was a little harder. I did not feel that it was cheap or overly plastic.
Old 08-12-2014 | 06:24 PM
Liquid Ice

I wasn't the only one to complain about the padding, it isn't uncomfortable like I said but the youtube videos made a big deal about "doubling the padding" I didn't notice it. If it was 0.1cm before and now its 0.2cm it isn't really that noticeable.

The main areas of hard plastic that I mentioned were the upper door area and dashboard area. Both of those areas are soft touch plastic on the 2G TL (sorry I don't know about on the 3G or 4G). There were other areas, such as the small cheesy volume knob on the radio, the fake aluminum plastic .. to me a lot of it feels no better than the Accord. So while "hard plastic all over" is obviously an exaggeration (if it were everywhere the car would be made of plastic too) - I don't feel my other comments are invalid.

That said - a lot of people either won't care or won't notice a lot of this stuff. With a base 4 cylinder TLX at $30,995 you wouldn't expect the same quality as say maybe a $45,000 luxury sedan. And this is sort of the conundrum right? The TLX is meant to fill the gap of 2 cars - and to meet the lower end of the TLX, the quality was reduced in my opinion.

Your opinion may differ and your expectations might be different coming from a TSX or a TL.

I'm not saying it is a bad car at all - but for me if I were buying it, I'd be getting the $45K SH-AWD V6 Advance and thats the perspective that I wrote my comments on the interior quality.

Last edited by LiQiCE; 08-12-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-12-2014 | 06:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Name:  20140812_1729471.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  83.2 KB
I was able to test drive this car, a V6 Base, Graphite luster with greystone interior.

Very comfortable seats, the bolsters aren't huge but are nicely done, making easier to get out vs the 4G with the bigger bolsters. For me, being tall, was sometimes tough to swing the legs around far enough to get my feet set so I could stand up.

The plastic (faux leather) on the tops of the doors and dash that there is complaints about is NOT hard. It's cushioned, almost a rubbery feel to it. I like it.

The car rides smooth, is quite responsive to throttle on take off but, as all have mentioned, does hesitate at cruising speeds when you push down on the gas pedal. I found that tapping the left paddle shifter once, then gassing it made the car leap into action.

I took a U-turn under the freeway fast and could feel the P-AWS at work.

I really can't find any fault with the car at all. I was very comfortable in it.

Yep, I am getting one, for sure.

As for the ride comparison to my Accord Coupe.. hard to even compare. The ride of the TLX is much smoother, the power is nearly the same (both 3.5 V6's). They handle equally well. The comfort of the ride really stands out in the TLX.
D-d-d-d-dats it folks
The following 4 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
2011TL (08-13-2014), A4toTL (08-12-2014), JT4 (08-13-2014), Rocket_man (08-13-2014)
Old 08-12-2014 | 07:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
I wasn't the only one to complain about the padding, it isn't uncomfortable like I said but the youtube videos made a big deal about "doubling the padding" I didn't notice it. If it was 0.1cm before and now its 0.2cm it isn't really that noticeable.

The main areas of hard plastic that I mentioned were the upper door area and dashboard area. Both of those areas are soft touch plastic on the 2G TL (sorry I don't know about on the 3G or 4G). There were other areas, such as the small cheesy volume knob on the radio, the fake aluminum plastic .. to me a lot of it feels no better than the Accord. So while "hard plastic all over" is obviously an exaggeration (if it were everywhere the car would be made of plastic too) - I don't feel my other comments are invalid.

That said - a lot of people either won't care or won't notice a lot of this stuff. With a base 4 cylinder TLX at $30,995 you wouldn't expect the same quality as say maybe a $45,000 luxury sedan. And this is sort of the conundrum right? The TLX is meant to fill the gap of 2 cars - and to meet the lower end of the TLX, the quality was reduced in my opinion.

Your opinion may differ and your expectations might be different coming from a TSX or a TL.

I'm not saying it is a bad car at all - but for me if I were buying it, I'd be getting the $45K SH-AWD V6 Advance and thats the perspective that I wrote my comments on the interior quality.
If it's anything like the 4G then I'd hate it. The 4G TL that I've gotten as a loaner seems a step down from my 3G. I can maybe see hard plastics on the entry level i4 but the V6 PAWS and SH-AWD should have better dashboard trims.
Old 08-12-2014 | 07:47 PM
Instructor

Here ya go! I did take pics of it:

Yeah it's frameless the way a smartphone is frameless...

So now that sunshade black mesh is only around the mirror area and not across the whole top glass like a 3G?
Old 08-12-2014 | 07:57 PM
Liquid Ice

Originally Posted by JAB00
If it's anything like the 4G then I'd hate it. The 4G TL that I've gotten as a loaner seems a step down from my 3G. I can maybe see hard plastics on the entry level i4 but the V6 PAWS and SH-AWD should have better dashboard trims.
I completely agree but thats just not Acura's style, they are trying to deliver an assembly line manufactured car with few variations and ultimately that is what helps keep the price down. And I think it is maybe by design a little bit?

So for those of us who are looking for a larger car and also better quality interior and want to stick with Acura - you have the RLX
Old 08-12-2014 | 08:30 PM
Instructor

The GS-350 F-Sport explains your perspective... I sat in one at a car show a few years ago and it was fabulously comfortable and well finished. But a decently equipped GS F-Sport is a $54K+ car... and that's before AWD.
Old 08-12-2014 | 09:17 PM
Liquid Ice

Originally Posted by TLin05
The GS-350 F-Sport explains your perspective... I sat in one at a car show a few years ago and it was fabulously comfortable and well finished. But a decently equipped GS F-Sport is a $54K+ car... and that's before AWD.
My comparison was to the 2G TL I owned with regard to the quality of materials. The 2G TL interior materials all felt high quality and over the 12 years I owned the car held up really well.

I actually paid $51,850 after rebates for my GS350 F-Sport AWD.

I do think a base GS350 could be compared to a fully loaded TLX (SHAWD Advance). Obviously the GS will have less features but price wise they wouldn't be too far apart and the quality / fit and finish in the GS would be the same as mine. Size wise the TLX is very close to the GS too.

But Stew4HD has owned a GS350 previously too so our differing perspectives is interesting. His comments about the door and dash material is quite different from my experience but I think it just goes to show that you need to test drive the car and form your own opinion
blakura (08-16-2014)
Old 08-12-2014 | 09:34 PM
Instructor

.... There were other areas, such as the small cheesy volume knob on the radio, the fake aluminum plastic ...
I made a visit tonight to look at the TLX. I can't really provide much of a review given I didn't take it for a spin. I want to wait until they get the 4-cylinder in so I can compare back to back.

But what I did see I generally and overall liked. As LiQiCE mentioned, I did take note of the volume knob on the radio. Totally stood out of place. But I did discover it does depress in nearly flush with the radio face leaving the radio fully functional (and you can still adjust the volume with it while depressed). It definitely helps the appearance to keep it depressed. Maybe it pops out for those with abnormally large fingers.
Old 08-12-2014 | 09:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JAB00
So would you'd rather have a 3G with a cracked dash over a 4G interior? Just asking, since we're talking about interior "quality" here.
EzeE1o (08-17-2014)
Old 08-12-2014 | 10:30 PM
Drifting

I have to admit that while the 3G did have more soft touch materials, they were not very good ones from my experiences with both a 3G and 3G TLS vs the fourth gen. The 4G, and now the TLX, may use less soft touch materials in total but the ones they do use are typically of better quality in comparison, again based on my experience. Specifically, the dash and seating surface materials. Largely a trade off according to most opinions however.

If there is one thing the TLX might have benefited from is a touch or two of some better materials but it's not bad for the price, acceptable IMO. Only saying it because the TLX has made some pretty big strides in the luxury and refinement departments over the TL and TSX, that's probably the only main thing it's missing there which by itself may matter but in the grand scheme of things is somewhat insignificant, depending on who you ask.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 08-12-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-13-2014 | 01:25 AM
Suzuka Master

I don't think you want to compare it to TL's passed but what is in the market place now. As long as it passes that test its good to go.
Old 08-13-2014 | 02:49 AM
Summer is Coming

Name:  20140812_090851.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  91.8 KB

I like this color combination but it is not available on the Advanced trim for some reason. Maybe because it does not have a high take rate.

The Acura dealer near me on the south side of town finally got their TLX's. I didn't get there until they were closing but they had one black/espresso V6 Base. It was unlocked in the parking lot. In person I don't think I like the espresso, not my cup of tea. While I was looking at the black car a white one drove by and out the gate and down the highway. There was only one guy in it which I assumed was a sales guy. Not sure where he was headed at 8:45pm. I think their other cars were in the service bay. I'll stop by tonight.

Looking at the car again it looks nicer than the first time I saw it. It was sitting next to a 2013 GS350. I liked the TLX front more than the spindle grill front end on the Lexus. But of course that is a matter of personal taste.
Attached Thumbnails Stew's Unabashed review-texas-city-league-city-20140812-00025.jpg   Stew's Unabashed review-texas-city-league-city-20140812-00026.jpg  
Old 08-13-2014 | 05:05 AM
Black

Look at the area at the front of the door glass with blind spot indicator. It's terrible.

If my $50k MDX (2014) is any indicator, Acura has cut costs significantly. Everything from steering wheel airbag housing to lower center console to mismatched dash colors are low-rent.
Old 08-13-2014 | 05:08 AM
Black

Originally Posted by ZAXDude
I made a visit tonight to look at the TLX. I can't really provide much of a review given I didn't take it for a spin. I want to wait until they get the 4-cylinder in so I can compare back to back.

But what I did see I generally and overall liked. As LiQiCE mentioned, I did take note of the volume knob on the radio. Totally stood out of place. But I did discover it does depress in nearly flush with the radio face leaving the radio fully functional (and you can still adjust the volume with it while depressed). It definitely helps the appearance to keep it depressed. Maybe it pops out for those with abnormally large fingers.
Same dumb design as MDX. "Depressed" should be off, or the knob should be in a different place.
Old 08-13-2014 | 06:05 AM
Racer

Thanks for the clarification. I guess it really comes down to expectations and what we personally have in mind when we say "hard-plastic" - it can be very subjective. To me, the kind of plastic in the 3G TL and 1G TSX wasn't hard; there is some level of give when you press on it, faux-leather may be a good way to describe it. In some cheaper car, the plastic is really hard, with no give at all -- running your nails on it almost feels like running your nails on road asphalt. If I recall, the 4G TL and 2G TSX have harder plastic.

The plastic (faux leather) on the tops of the doors and dash that there is complaints about is NOT hard. It's cushioned, almost a rubbery feel to it. I like it.
That reassures me. Sounds like 3GTL quality, which is appropriate for a car of this price range.
Old 08-13-2014 | 06:45 AM
Suzuka Master

That reassures me. Sounds like 3GTL quality, which is appropriate for a car of this price range.
The material is the same as what's on the dash, like the 4G, if I recall

As for the radio volume button above the display, it's not bad where it is. I expect that the thumbwheel on the steering wheel is what the driver wil use most often.

Last edited by Stew4HD; 08-13-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-13-2014 | 06:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lindros2
Look at the area at the front of the door glass with blind spot indicator. It's terrible.

If my $50k MDX (2014) is any indicator, Acura has cut costs significantly. Everything from steering wheel airbag housing to lower center console to mismatched dash colors are low-rent.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion on a forum, and I'm not above being critical myself. But at some point there must be a reason why we keep visiting a forum. What is your reason? And I mean that as a serious question. Are there things you like about this car that you are considering one despite what you don't like?
The following 4 users liked this post by jjsC5:
dysonlu (08-13-2014), JM2010 SH-AWD (08-13-2014), PreludeVTEC01 (08-13-2014), Stew4HD (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014 | 07:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Some people seem to look for fault in everything and in doing so, will find it. I try to do the opposite.. it just makes life ... well, more positive. That is not to say I ignore the negatives but it makes those less of an impact.... usually
JM2010 SH-AWD (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014 | 08:42 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jjsC5
Everyone is entitled to their opinion on a forum, and I'm not above being critical myself. But at some point there must be a reason why we keep visiting a forum. What is your reason? And I mean that as a serious question. Are there things you like about this car that you are considering one despite what you don't like?
Funny as I was wondering this about him myself.

As for his comment:

"Look at the area at the front of the door glass with blind spot indicator. It's terrible."

Not sure what he was expecting in terms of material and finish for that part of the car.
Old 08-13-2014 | 08:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by lindros2

I can see that the problem is that you're comparing it to your $50k MDX. When considering that the TLX is designed to be profitable at $31k MSRP, which means an eventually selling price in the upper $20k range, there is no way that the material selection, in areas that will not affect sales, are going to be equivalent. As a Honda, what you expect is not necessarily an expensive interior, but a tasteful and durable interior.
Old 08-13-2014 | 09:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Being 6'3 how did you feel about head room? Im 6'5, I found the headroom in the 4g pretty good. I found the head room in the RLX to be unacceptable, especially given its size. I had to play with the seat and get it into a position i wouldnt want it to be in for daily driving, especially with the amount i do.
Our dealer has 3 TLX's in stock, all are for test drives. Im going to try to get in one today if i get a chance.
Old 08-13-2014 | 09:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by hddnav
I can see that the problem is that you're comparing it to your $50k MDX. When considering that the TLX is designed to be profitable at $31k MSRP, which means an eventually selling price in the upper $20k range, there is no way that the material selection, in areas that will not affect sales, are going to be equivalent. As a Honda, what you expect is not necessarily an expensive interior, but a tasteful and durable interior.
I dont think that is what is was getting at. I think he was saying that if his MDX was any indication at the cost cutting he could only see the TLX as being cheaper???
Old 08-13-2014 | 09:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Being 6'3 how did you feel about head room? Im 6'5, I found the headroom in the 4g pretty good. I found the head room in the RLX to be unacceptable, especially given its size. I had to play with the seat and get it into a position i wouldnt want it to be in for daily driving, especially with the amount i do.
Our dealer has 3 TLX's in stock, all are for test drives. Im going to try to get in one today if i get a chance.
When I first sat in the car, I lowered the seat down all the way down and then adjusted for the steering wheel and neck position, I had about 3 inches of head room. My Accord has maybe an inch and my hair (what is left of it) touches the headline.

I found space to be a lot like the 4G. I have seen complaints (mostly by thiose that haven't sat in one yet) that the cabin is much smaller. I have wide shoulders, my left shoulder does not touch the door, at all. It was truly a comfortable ride.
Old 08-13-2014 | 09:20 AM
Senior Moderator

When I first sat in the car, I lowered the seat down all the way down and then adjusted for the steering wheel and neck position, I had about 3 inches of head room. My Accord has maybe an inch and my hair (what is left of it) touches the headline.

I found space to be a lot like the 4G. I have seen complaints (mostly by thiose that haven't sat in one yet) that the cabin is much smaller. I have wide shoulders, my left shoulder does not touch the door, at all. It was truly a comfortable ride.
I was hoping that there was/is adequate headroom, especially given the specs, and after sitting in the RLX
Old 08-13-2014 | 10:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey Stew,

Thanks for the review. When you test drove the car, did you go 59 South bound? The north bound has been paved nicely recently so I think a 1995 Civic would feel as smooth as a Lexus. Also, did was the ride on local street?
Old 08-13-2014 | 11:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hddnav
These tradeoffs are always going to be an issue in cars that run from $30K to $45K. The top end is 50% more expensive than the entry level car. Using the 3G as an example the top to bottom price prior to the S was only the cost of the nav unit & summer tires.

Only way to totally eliminate the issue is to offer different interior trim levels which most likely would add to the top end price. Have not seen the car in real life yet but the pictures look pretty good.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-13-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-13-2014 | 12:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Hey Stew,

Thanks for the review. When you test drove the car, did you go 59 South bound? The north bound has been paved nicely recently so I think a 1995 Civic would feel as smooth as a Lexus. Also, did was the ride on local street?
I test drove at 5PM, 59 south was bumper to bumper.. I too the feeder from Sterling McCall north to Bellaire, U-turned, took the feeder south to Beltway 8 U-turn.. the feeder is rough as hell, so I know that would be a test
hadokenuh (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014 | 01:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Funny as I was wondering this about him myself.

As for his comment:

"Look at the area at the front of the door glass with blind spot indicator. It's terrible."

Not sure what he was expecting in terms of material and finish for that part of the car.
I am left to wonder, what other material would they make the black triangle out of???
Old 08-13-2014 | 03:02 PM
Burning Brakes

The Aston Martin Vantage uses a Garmin nav. Who'd expect that cost cutting at that price point?

Quick Reply: Stew's Unabashed review