Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014 | 07:39 PM
Burning Brakes

"I don't think I like the espresso, not my cup of tea."

Good one!
Old 08-14-2014 | 07:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by colin
i am left to wonder, what other material would they make the black triangle out of???
rich corinthian leather!
Old 08-14-2014 | 07:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by crxb
rich corinthian leather!
Unobtanium?
Old 08-14-2014 | 09:45 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by crxb
rich corinthian leather!
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014 | 04:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by acura15
A Cor-r-r-rdoba! '76
Old 08-16-2014 | 03:23 AM
Pro

Red face TLX Interior Feel

I test drove the TLX the other day.... I have a 2013 TL now.

I simply want to say that I am also large and when I heard the cabin was smaller, the first thing I was concerned with was comfort and fit.

Boy.. the minute you get in there, for whatever reason, it is MUCH more ergonomic and comfortable. Even being talla nd big, I did not have to have the seat all the way back as I do with my current car. There is ample room.

Something nobody has mentioned is they moved the front stack closer, so you can adjust the navigation know easily with your hand on the armrest without lifting it. On my TL I have to rest it on the gearshift (this didn't have a gearshift) and the reason i wouldn't buy the TSX is because the control was way up and it would have been a real pain to operate it while the vehicle is moving.

The cabin design is spot on for comfort.

I will say what is really disappointing is the look of the car interior. My TL has this cool brushed aluminum all around the dash... This car has these regular soft like car surfaces.. nothing special about it.

I like the way the cupholders finally are not covered up so you had to chose between a place for your phone or a cupholder... now the phone area is forward.

I know I will hate not being able to control the nav when the car is moving. .. the 2013 TL doesn't care....

Some dealership people were in t he car playing with the siri eyes free functions.... I overheard Siri say something to the effect of "you cant do that while youre driving". I am hoping it doesn't lock your phone or not let you do certain tings.

Anyone elses thoughts?
Old 08-16-2014 | 05:48 AM
Drifting

Although I didn't try it during my test drive, I think you can control the navi while in motion via voice commands.
Old 08-16-2014 | 12:32 PM
Pro

Most meaningful mention from the original post was Toy Matinee. First CD from a short-lived group had nothing but winner tracks!

But I digress. . .
Old 08-16-2014 | 01:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Most meaningful mention from the original post was Toy Matinee. First CD from a short-lived group had nothing but winner tracks!

But I digress. . .
Hey, Google Kevin Gilbert, he was the brains behind Toy Matinee then check out which female singer sang back up on Toy Matinee. Sad but interesting story of the life of the late, Kevin Gilbert
Old 08-16-2014 | 02:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Hey, Google Kevin Gilbert, he was the brains behind Toy Matinee then check out which female singer sang back up on Toy Matinee. Sad but interesting story of the life of the late, Kevin Gilbert
Yeah one time I was googling around trying to figure out what happened with these guys and found that one had passed away. There was a radio station in LA (Mark & Brian?) that would have the two Toy Matinee guys on frequently and they would sing Things She Said basically acapella. They were incredibly talented and incredibly hot for a very short time but, by far, this is one of the best CD's in my collection (only second to my Jethro Tull CD's and vinyls
Old 08-16-2014 | 06:02 PM
Intermediate

Speaking of interior quality, I just rode in my friend's B8 S4 and IMHO the materials in the TLX are at least competitive, if not better. Even though this S4 generation dates back to MY09, I still think it's good to see how well the TLX compares to a car that starts at $48k, especially given Audi's reputation for interiors. Of course, Acura can't be too satisfied since the bar will keep getting raised.
Old 08-16-2014 | 06:32 PM
Drifting

^^ Audi interiors aren't what they were a few years ago (almost no maker's interiors are), but in doing comparisons at auto shows, I have seen no clear advantages of what everyone calls the "Tier one" makers over the likes of Acura/Infiniti, etc. in interior design, fit or materials. The current year Audi/BMW interiors do nothing for me when I sit in them. Some of those BMW dashboards remind me of my dad's old Mercury Marquises.
Old 08-16-2014 | 09:17 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
^^ Audi interiors aren't what they were a few years ago
I kind of feel that they still are, just not on the A4/A5. Those two are getting really long in the tooth on the inside compared to their newer models. But I do agree that on the whole, quality has dropped across the board seemingly everywhere but mercedes's new C
Old 08-17-2014 | 02:36 PM
Drifting

^^ Audi interiors aren't what they were a few years ago (almost no maker's interiors are), but in doing comparisons at auto shows, I have seen no clear advantages of what everyone calls the "Tier one" makers over the likes of Acura/Infiniti, etc. in interior design, fit or materials. The current year Audi/BMW interiors do nothing for me when I sit in them. Some of those BMW dashboards remind me of my dad's old Mercury Marquises.
Agree, to a limit there really isn't this predetermined advantage as many may assume based on the coined media term of Tier 1, which I really don't get anyway because then what do we call the level above this so called Tier 1? And how exactly is it defined?

At this point however, there may be some small validity in that term nonetheless among comparable products, although relatively minor on a bigger scale and due to the difference in price points, should be expected in either case and hardly a deal breaker (generally speaking) as maybe it once was or was ever made out to be, at least IMO.

Where it is discernible and really applies, again IMO, is in the areas and price points that Acura doesn't offer anything, like a true flagship, dedicated sport trims, V8's, multi-product line including coupes, converts, wagons, high end sports car, etc. That's where Tier 1 may come in. However, that doesn't necessarily (and shouldn't) make less of what they do offer, how they do so and where they offer it and the term generally applies to the brand as a whole, and not a single vehicle, variant, or trim.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 08-17-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2014 | 08:15 PM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Originally Posted by MikeRadio
I will say what is really disappointing is the look of the car interior. My TL has this cool brushed aluminum all around the dash... This car has these regular soft like car surfaces.. nothing special about it.
I get the feeling Acura was trying to copy recent BMW 3-series interiors with the TLX, just because it sold well so clearly there must be something about its interior that people like

Take the door panels for instance..the old futuristic swoopy silver trim is now relegated to a tiny strip along the armrest, with swaths of plastic everywhere else surrounding an ugly, backward-leaning door padding (hope that makes sense).

And then the "artsy" metal door handles being encased in yet another cheap plastic surround that looks like it could be popped out with anyone's fingernails

Then you look at the 4G doors, which by comparison look 100x newer and more upscale

Though admittedly the TLX door panel still looks better than the ILX's...

Last edited by silverTL6; 08-17-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-18-2014 | 05:05 AM
Suzuka Master

It's all subjective! I thought the 4G's metal trim looked industrial and more BMW like.
The following users liked this post:
BookemDanole (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014 | 11:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by silverTL6
Take the door panels for instance..the old futuristic swoopy silver trim is now relegated to a tiny strip along the armrest, with swaths of plastic everywhere else surrounding an ugly, backward-leaning door padding (hope that makes sense).

And then the "artsy" metal door handles being encased in yet another cheap plastic surround that looks like it could be popped out with anyone's fingernails
I agree. The 4G's door interior does look more upscale (example: lock switch is of matching metalic trim, while TLX is black). TLX's has a bit too much plastic. But then again, the color of the plastic makes a difference in perception: on pic of the 4G, some plastic is of ivory color whereas on the TLX pic, it's black. So black plastic overload. The ivory colored plastic looks better in pictures. TLX door with two colors of plastic:

Looks a bit better IMO.

Still, I think the 4G's door interior looks better overall. I think that's the only aspect I don't like about the TLX.

Last edited by dysonlu; 08-18-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-18-2014 | 12:20 PM
Pro

Test drove a V6 Tech this weekend and don't think I'm going to be able to pull the trigger on buying one. I can't get passed the blue input/control screen, and I'm not even sure what it is about the two screen setup I don't like other than I keep seeing Honda Accord every time I look at it. The car feels a lot smaller than my 4G TL although that's not necessarily a deal breaker considering I'm only 5'7", but I do enjoy the size of my 4G. I thought the car drove fine, and will try driving the SH-AWD to see if that changes my mind and to have a true apples to apples comparison.
Not bashing the car by any means, and I think the vehicle will sell very well but it's just short of what I need to part with my money.
Old 08-25-2014 | 10:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
When I first sat in the car, I lowered the seat down all the way down and then adjusted for the steering wheel and neck position, I had about 3 inches of head room. My Accord has maybe an inch and my hair (what is left of it) touches the headline.

I found space to be a lot like the 4G. I have seen complaints (mostly by thiose that haven't sat in one yet) that the cabin is much smaller. I have wide shoulders, my left shoulder does not touch the door, at all. It was truly a comfortable ride.
Well i finally got a chance to sit in one. The interior is really nice. Materials and fit and finish was very good. Problem is is headroom. Im 6'5" and much of that is in my legs, There was plenty of leg room, but my head still touched the roof unless i reclined the seat more than i would really want to (but not a deal breaker), and would really have to to fit in with a helmet (which i often do lapping days and auto-x with my current TL) I found it to be better than the RLX (sat in both to compare) but still disappointed.